Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

JSAUX is also hitting the scene with their own complete transparent housings soon, they also have bundles with an anti-glare screen as well so you don't have to gently caress around and pull your old one out if you want:

https://jsaux.com/products/transparent-cover-series-for-steam-deck?variant=43973283348700

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Update: After a third request that 'something really seems like miscommunication, this should be covered under RMA' I got a response that yes, they did indeed gently caress up and I'm very much covered.

Now I get to decide if I cancel my Hall stick order...

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I was coming here to celebrate how waiting for the sale saved me $120 but now it feels like gloating. I hope anyone that ordered recently gets the difference made up.

Anyways, deck is ordered. I'll probably grab a deck friendly game to celebrate as well when it arrives, any suggestions? I mainly play strategy games, but the controller style of the deck probably isn't a great fit for those, so I was also thinking about retro or retro styled games. SNES is what I played as a kid, so it will always be peak gaming for me. Are there any good deck games that are either collections/remasters of SNES games or deliberately done in the same style? Kind of like Freedom Planet for the sonic games, which come to think of it is also going to go on my list.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Actraiser Renaissance?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Bremen posted:

I was coming here to celebrate how waiting for the sale saved me $120 but now it feels like gloating. I hope anyone that ordered recently gets the difference made up.

Anyways, deck is ordered. I'll probably grab a deck friendly game to celebrate as well when it arrives, any suggestions? I mainly play strategy games, but the controller style of the deck probably isn't a great fit for those, so I was also thinking about retro or retro styled games. SNES is what I played as a kid, so it will always be peak gaming for me. Are there any good deck games that are either collections/remasters of SNES games or deliberately done in the same style? Kind of like Freedom Planet for the sonic games, which come to think of it is also going to go on my list.
Crystal Project doesn't really look like a SNES game but it is, extremely trying to be FFV.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Bremen posted:

If you're into SNES JRPGs, Chained Echoes might be worth checking out. Runs perfectly on the Deck cause it's very lightweight, but is a gorgeous-looking 16-bit style and the gameplay is excellent. I'm not too far into it, but it has done a great job of grabbing and holding my attention from the start. 20% off right now.

I haven't actually played it yet, but CrossCode is 70% off atm and another game I've seen a lot of praise for, similarly retro-styled action RPG with a bit of puzzling in it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pizza Tower is the best retro-style game I've played recently, but the game it owes most to is Wario Land 4 which was technically a GBA game

Chained Echoes is a retro SNES-style RPG that's supposed to be good but I haven't actually played it (see my last post) (or THE last post actually since e:fb)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Chained Echos is good (it’s also on Game Pass and plays great streaming)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Gonna have to come in here and post Powerwash Simulator again. I've limited myself to once a day, so you're all covered until tomorrow.

Seriously, such a perfect deck game.

Edit: let me put it this way; I'm on vacation with my family and I didn't bring my deck because why would I need videogames during a family vacation?

We got bad weather for more than a day or so and I am deeply regretting my decision. Never again. If I don't end up using it, fine but maaaaaan.... We were at an amusement park, and I was looking at the grime and rust around the metal floor of the tilt-a-whirl, imagining how nice it would look after a good spray with some soap and water. :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 29, 2023

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Thanks for the suggestions, I've added Chained Echoes and CrossCode to the short list. I remember seeing the latter on SGDQ and being curious, now that it's brought up. Actraiser, Crystal Project, and Pizza Tower, something about the graphics just throws me off.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

I thought I'd hate Powerwash Simulator but with gyro enabled it's real good, there's more content (and more thought to the unlock progression) than I'd have expected.

Unfortunately I have a steam wishlist of 90+ games going into the sale and here, on the day I do the RMA, I end up buying a ton of games I intended on playing on the deck.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

buy Euro Truck Sim 2. It's $5 and super chill and works great on the deck.

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer
Staying away from the summer sale. Immortality and Cult of the Lamb have appeared in my basket but I will be strong.

I will be strong.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cowman posted:

buy Euro Truck Sim 2. It's $5 and super chill and works great on the deck.

I'm gonna need to find a good controller setup. I want to play ETS2, but when I attempted in October when I first got my deck, I was lost. I could probably rig something up now. Any recommendations?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

homeless snail posted:

Crystal Project doesn't really look like a SNES game but it is, extremely trying to be FFV.

It's also extremely good!

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm gonna need to find a good controller setup. I want to play ETS2, but when I attempted in October when I first got my deck, I was lost. I could probably rig something up now. Any recommendations?

When I can, I'll share with you my Steam Controller/Deck specific setup. It's roughly the official one, with a few changes for gyro and so on. Might be a day or so, though.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

I've got my PC hooked up to my TV which means I've never docked my deck, but I'm constantly swapping between the two. Being able to sync the saves has just been amazing, and I realize how many titles I've just been churning through. Games I've beat since I got the Deck in January:

Hades, Tails of Iron, Horizon Zero Dawn, Titan Souls, Death's Door, Death Stranding, Hi-Fi Rush, Boneraiser Minions, Blasphemous, The Forest, Shovel Knight&DLC, Everhood, Dark Souls 3, Carrion, Celeste, Jedi Fallen Order, Witcher 3, Curse of the Golden Idol, Do Not Feed the Monkeys, Lone Fungus, Firmament, Donut County, Dead Cells, Diablo 4, Power Wash Simulator. Getting close to beating Hitman 3.

Firmament is the only one I didn't try on the Deck, and Jedi ran pretty poorly, everything else ran fine.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Hammer Bro. posted:

It's also extremely good!

Crystal Project is the first game I took for a spin on the Steam Deck and I could not put it down. I often played for long periods of time because it sips the battery, but it's a perfect game in short bursts as well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Squiggle posted:

When I can, I'll share with you my Steam Controller/Deck specific setup. It's roughly the official one, with a few changes for gyro and so on. Might be a day or so, though.

Thanks, much appreciated!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Atoramos posted:

Update: After a third request that 'something really seems like miscommunication, this should be covered under RMA' I got a response that yes, they did indeed gently caress up and I'm very much covered.

Now I get to decide if I cancel my Hall stick order...

IMO they are a great upgrade, and I even had to solder the cap wire.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Bumfluff posted:

Looking into looks like they offered the difference in steam bux back in march. I've contacted, fingers crossed.

Would be good sale spending money!
Hey, I am in the same boat - bought a 512GB model last Wednesday and I reached out to Steam support. Just got a message confirming basically this, they said they -

quote:

we can offer to refund the original transaction to your Steam Wallet and automatically repurchase the item(s) at the current price. This will leave the remainder in your Steam Wallet as an additional credit.

Will keep an eye on my wallet for now but I'm super hyped.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

They list that Hogwarts game as deck playable is that true?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Upsidads posted:

Yes and no, the performance is unacceptable. You have to make some extreme sacrifices and even then the performance is not good.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

thats my biggest worry about the newest gen of portable pc gaming "AAA" devs dont give a poo poo about optimization or file size. I'd like to think the current market is proving there is a reason to care but its still small potatoes vs switch.
Nintendo's whole creed has been gently caress it well make our own games and indies are supporting it because their games are naturally optimized due to scope and reach.
Would be nice to see Valve make a "handheld game scope" division but they would have to break off people from teams that are already not making games.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Havv bC ent played a switch game in a bit eh

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I guess it’s kind of good that nearly all triple a games are loving terrible, eh?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I like elden ring!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Upsidads posted:

oh, which side would you take in the genocide?

just joking, iirc they don't give you a choice, it's nazis all the way down !

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Not mentioned but I just noticed the official dock is 20% off too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

alexandriao posted:

Yeah, the ending actually lets you choose and then takes it away from the player literally five seconds later. It’s the dumbest poo poo ever. It doesnt matter which option you pick.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Always take unacceptable performance with a bit of salt. People said the same thing about dead space and Horizon Zero dawn and I beat both on the deck with zero issues

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

alexandriao posted:

I don't know poo poo about the game other than wizard stuff. What's going on?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Upsidads posted:

I like elden ring!

this ring...
it's so...
eld

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

CharlestheHammer posted:

Always take unacceptable performance with a bit of salt. People said the same thing about dead space and Horizon Zero dawn and I beat both on the deck with zero issues
Yeah, like people complained about the performance of Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity on Switch, calling the game "unplayable" but I thought it was fine? Like it was nowhere near as bad as Switch Bloodstained. Look up videos to see how well a game runs before you accept someone's performance diagnosis, and even then take the video with a grain of salt.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Literally pooping and playing Halo Infinite at the same time. God bless you Gabe

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I have a coworker who wont play the latest Zelda because its unacceptable that it isnt 60fps.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Upsidads posted:

I have a coworker who wont play the latest Zelda because its unacceptable that it isnt 60fps.

Ryujinx

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Update on my Hall effect stick issue. I last posted about the right stick having too much friction compared to my right stick. Someone suggested I tightened the screws too much. A week later, I opened it up and loosed the screws a smidge and that did the trick.

Also update on my gaming computer. I've bought pretty much all the components. I ordered a CPU and GPU which arrive at Best Buy next week. I'm looking forward to building that rig.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Upsidads posted:

The latest Zelda is a great example of why fps isn’t as important as people pretend because yeah, I noticed the FPS was pretty bad in the first few hours, but by the time I had gotten off the tutorial island I was having so much fun and was so immersed I literally didn’t even see it anymore.

Would I rather play a version of TOTK that got 144 fps and ran at 4K? Yes of course! But I chose to play Zelda rather than any game that could hit those benchmarks because it was fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Upsidads posted:

I keep trying BOTW and TOTK and i don't actually like the gameplay