Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

i kind of like that they're showing him to be just some guy but i do hope he gets at least one insane over the top costume

in the trailer he's just casually hanging out with his daughter. when he's at court i bet he breaks out the fancy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

porfiria posted:

I never really got why Paul couldn't stop the Jihad--wasn't the whole reason the Guild had to listen to him because he could blow up the Spice?

Also that no one would flip out and fire their nukes, or just start lasgunning everything; there couldn't be that many Fremen and how are they going to galactic genocide with knives and dart guns?

We don't get much in the way of hard details about the Jihad itself, but the legend of Muad'dib has grown so rapidly that after getting the Guild and Emperor to capitulate, Muad'dib is now too big for Paul to control. All he can do is attempt to steer the tiger (or rather, the worm) in a way that doesn't destroy everything and also that doesn't destroy him. He may be the Kwisatz Haderach and the Mahdi, but there's only one of him and millions of Fremen who are ready to fuckin' go.

Also there's no reason to believe they'd stick to knives and dart guns. The Fremen would get their hands on all kinds of fun toys as soon as the Emperor capitulated. Any weapons anyone else had, they had too. As well as the advantage of dropping in from space since the Guild was under Paul's thumb.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

porfiria posted:

I never really got why Paul couldn't stop the Jihad--wasn't the whole reason the Guild had to listen to him because he could blow up the Spice?

Also that no one would flip out and fire their nukes, or just start lasgunning everything; there couldn't be that many Fremen and how are they going to galactic genocide with knives and dart guns?

The reason is because Paul has selected this Jihad as the least bad of all possible scenarios. Notably he doesn’t like issue any decrees or like, rescind the fatwa, because he knows that stopping it will instantiate something even worse, somehow.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

uber_stoat posted:

in the trailer he's just casually hanging out with his daughter. when he's at court i bet he breaks out the fancy poo poo.

In the book he just wears an old Sardaukar uniform, there's zero imperial pomp

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Aurubin posted:

I always gotta remember how restrained everything is in this iteration. Big! Very big! But austere. So I expect Walken to be in a moo-moo and sandals.

If you look at the shot with Paul with blood on his blade you can see Walken in the background in a kimono/moo moo

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/Atrydka/status/1674460455983632385

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The emperor wearing dazzling outlandish stuff was just an invention of Jodorowsky. It's kind of wild how much his iteration colored impressions of the book. The first few books are pretty bare on visual descriptions and when they are there it's typically very utilitarian. Paul's palace in Messiah is the first time things start to be larger than life. Then the later books get increasingly extravagant and otherworldly. Those were written after Herbert had hung out with Jodorowsky and seen his vision for the adaptation, I always feel like it must have rubbed off.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

:jihad:

:iia:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Bugblatter posted:

The emperor wearing dazzling outlandish stuff was just an invention of Jodorowsky. It's kind of wild how much his iteration colored impressions of the book. The first few books are pretty bare on visual descriptions and when they are there it's typically very utilitarian. Paul's palace in Messiah is the first time things start to be larger than life. Then the later books get increasingly extravagant and otherworldly. Those were written after Herbert had hung out with Jodorowsky and seen his vision for the adaptation, I always feel like it must have rubbed off.

At least messiah didnt have 200 people ritualistically making GBS threads in unison

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The weird hammerhead dudes with duel katanas in the background of Feyd's gladiator fight are pretty wild looking.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Bugblatter posted:

I mean if the author themself winds up preferring another take on it, it’s actually a very strong argument for its quality. Like how Stephen King prefers the movie ending of The Mist.

Its an idea so good the creator incorporated it, sort of “canonizing” it. (No I don’t care about like in-universe nerd “canon”, I don’t mean it like that.)

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

I mean if the author themself winds up preferring another take on it, it’s actually a very strong argument for its quality. Like how Stephen King prefers the movie ending of The Mist.

Its an idea so good the creator incorporated it, sort of “canonizing” it. (No I don’t care about like in-universe nerd “canon”, I don’t mean it like that.)

The idea of any kind of canon is kind of silly to me. Let the current storyteller do whatever they want in the adaptation. Jodorowsky was obviously on to something and made some gorgeous images... but those images do fit with the crazier poo poo that happens after the time jump. I think the base story of the earlier books would need to be reworked for the look to feel cohesive (Which Jodorowsky was going to do).

I'm more partial to the austerity of the original book and don't like anything past Messiah though, so Villeneuve's take is more up my alley.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Fair enough, and I totally respect your opinion.

However, that being said, what if everyone had big hats. Like, huge. Headgear with an internal support structure it’s so big.

C’mon. Big ol’ hats.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I mean I'd have been happy with that take too. A little happier that we got this take because it's more up my alley. And also we've kind of seen what Jodorowsky's visuals would have looked like with The 5th Element and we'll see it again with The Incal (Which should be required reading for anyone who likes the look of Jodorowsky's Dune).

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

im gonna see this fukkin thing 3 times on opening day

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Me and my boys doin a jihad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The minimalism works because the films commit to it IMO, and they make accessories and outfits stand out more not having to compete with a gaudy background. And as someone put it, it really works with the theme of a stark, hostile and inhuman setting where most everyone is pretty dead inside and performing the role expected of them. (Rather a theme...)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

However, that being said, what if everyone had big hats. Like, huge. Headgear with an internal support structure it’s so big.

C’mon. Big ol’ hats.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jewmanji posted:

The reason is because Paul has selected this Jihad as the least bad of all possible scenarios. Notably he doesn’t like issue any decrees or like, rescind the fatwa, because he knows that stopping it will instantiate something even worse, somehow.

I think young Paul ends up doing this Jihad because he thinks it's the least bad outcome. By the end of Messiah he's walked away from this decision (literally) and abandons the Golden Path because it's too horrible. It's not clear whether he knows that his son and heir will pick up his own interpretation of the same thing and become the most perfect tyrant in history.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

I think young Paul ends up doing this Jihad because he thinks it's the least bad outcome. By the end of Messiah he's walked away from this decision (literally) and abandons the Golden Path because it's too horrible. It's not clear whether he knows that his son and heir will pick up his own interpretation of the same thing and become the most perfect tyrant in history.

He was trying to pursue a path that would let him get revenge without starting a jihad, walking a tightrope. When he learns that his firstborn has died he slips and in anger takes action that ensures the jihad will follow. It may be that it was the best for humanity as a whole, but it was never something he accepted. He couldn’t see anything beyond the birth of the twins. I can’t recall if he maybe had an inkling of what his son would do, but definitely no certainty.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

exmarx posted:

loving punished irulan

YES

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Me and my boys doin a jihad.

I wonder if they are going to continue avoiding the use of that word. Almost certainly they will, right?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bugblatter posted:

He was trying to pursue a path that would let him get revenge without starting a jihad, walking a tightrope. When he learns that his firstborn has died he slips and in anger takes action that ensures the jihad will follow. It may be that it was the best for humanity as a whole, but it was never something he accepted. He couldn’t see anything beyond the birth of the twins. I can’t recall if he maybe had an inkling of what his son would do, but definitely no certainty.

Definitely a running theme that the whole game of intrigue, destiny, and all that poo poo is ultimately being played with human beings, not game pieces, who have feelings and families and flaws.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Bugblatter posted:

Oh, Paul definitely knew of the Golden Path - and he feared it.

It's even implied, in the conversation between Paul and Leto II when they first meet in the desert, that Paul is a failed Kwizats Hadarach for not ushering the Golden Path.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Xiahou Dun posted:

C’mon. Big ol’ hats.

May I point you to the opening of Man of Steel with its resplendent big hats and Oops, All Genitals architecture:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think someone's outright officially said that there's very deliberate contrast with the Giger-as-gently caress architecture and design of a society that's phased out sexual reproduction entirely.

Though looking at that I can't help but also notice how much of it looks like bleached bones, the insides of a skeleton. This is a society that's already dead and just hasn't noticed yet. The council headdresses look like cages. I suppose this is pretty much the other end of the Golden Path, a society that retreats inwardly and abandons its accomplishments for unthinking dogma and stagnation until it's completely unable to respond to easily avoidable disaster.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Man, Pugh is just completely on the nose casting for Irulan, isn't she?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Baron von Eevl posted:

Man, Pugh is just completely on the nose casting for Irulan, isn't she?

How so?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
She's kind of typecast like this but she's really good at playing a woman who is completely overwhelmed and caught in the machinations of terrible men. If they do Messiah, I think she'll fit really well in that role as well.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
They better do Messiah. Dune does not have a satisfying thematic conclusion until the misery of Paul's rule and his downfall.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Messiah seems quite likely, though I imagine as far as the studio goes it's dependent on the success of 2. Makes a good third act for those trilogies that are all the rage, and they can bring back Jason Momoa.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I wanna see a scary empty eye socketed chalamet.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

Bugblatter posted:

I wanna see a scary empty eye socketed chalamet.

It's been decades; I'd honestly forgotten that that happened. (Man, Messiah was the best book.)

Wow, this mean we get the nukes v shield thing. They really haven't gone into the "and this is why mfs aren't nuking mfs" side of things, have they?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's lasguns versus shields, but yeah.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Messiah has a stoneburner, not a lasgun-shield reaction. If they do Messiah I'm looking forward to the Preacher and how they portray Alia's madness.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Pictured: Irulan in the process of getting covered in sand trout

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah, agreed.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Jewmanji posted:

Pictured: Irulan in the process of getting covered in sand trout

I kinda wonder if that was an intentional allusion to that, like the Baron levitating up from the table lookin like the God Emperor in the first movie.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Just watched the trailer again and I'm hooting and hollering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I kinda wonder if that was an intentional allusion to that, like the Baron levitating up from the table lookin like the God Emperor in the first movie.

The first time I watched DUNC I didn’t know he was levitating until the scene where he’s floating up against the ceiling after the failed assassination attempt. With the way his clothes just draped down and with how dark modern movie scenes are on a non HDR screen I thought his body was shaped like Jabba the Hutt and he just rose his upper body up.

E: I was told extreme genetic/body modification was A Thing so that’s how I rationalized it.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 30, 2023