Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Joke Miriam posted:

What’s the most realistic prognosis for how far Ukraine goes in this offensive?

Sorry if this betrays a lack of confidence in a complete and total victory.

To Moscow

E: not a joke it would be easier than Melitopol

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Haystack posted:

Ugh, Russia is going to have the worst, most unjustified "stabbed in the back" narrative going after the war. I can just tell.

I suppose it'll be more intense afterwards but I feel like they've been trial ballooning Dolchstoßlegende for some time. still, :agreed:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Joke Miriam posted:

Realistically, Melitopol would be a fantastic win and about the extent that would reasonably be achievable without air superiority and more weapons. That is, barring some extreme collapse of Russian lines like last fall.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Joke Miriam posted:

just in this offensive, with the understanding that there will probably be others? I mean, I do expect them to ultimately win (I would count either pre-2022 or pre-2014 borders as a win, with an obvious preference for the latter), but I don't expect them to roll up the whole Russian army in this offensive. Anyway,

HonorableTB posted:

Realistically, Melitopol would be a fantastic win and about the extent that would reasonably be achievable without air superiority and more weapons. That is, barring some extreme collapse of Russian lines like last fall.

This, but also this would probably lead to some follow-on captures unless they're completely exhausted. I don't know for sure but I would be surprised if Russians had prepared extensive defensive lines to the east and west of Melitopol, or along the former Kakhova reservoir, and without them I don't think Russia can then hold the entire Kherson->Melitopol area (apart from Crimea).

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

russia will never expect an attack from the landward side of Vladivostok

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

When does Ukraine get F16's flying?

I feel like that will be a major turn in the war

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 30, 2023

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

Wn does Ukraine get F16's flying?

No published schedule, I'm guessing sometime this fall.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

Wn does Ukraine get F16's flying?

Training is either about to start or has already started, but the timelines I've seen are sometime in fall.

Interesting thing about the "good tsar, bad boyars" thing is that it started as a rehabilitation of Ivan the Terrible in Russian folklore. This article is definitely worth a read because it helps to explain some of the things Putin does now

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_the_Terrible_in_Russian_folklore

e: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_Dmitry top tier username right here

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 30, 2023

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

For me once Ukraine can fully neutralize Russia's airpower over their territory then they can start carrying out these offensives a lot more easily.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 30, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1674804529580109827
t.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I love how the Russians just have Ork 40k equipment now. Are they going to paint it red next?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

burning swine posted:

this definitely changed today. You can use nitter.net as an alternative and/or install the browser plugin which just does a redirect when you visit a twitter url:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/nitter-redirect/mohaicophfnifehkkkdbcejkflmgfkof

Oh, it even uses dark mode. Thanks!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

I love how the Russians just have Ork 40k equipment now. Are they going to paint it red next?

lol be careful or youll bring bad juju upon us :lol:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Yeah, it's a helicopter rocket pod. Not really a new concept--technicals using rocket pods like that were pretty common in Syria, Libya, etc.

No idea how effective they are, though.

Those sort of dumbfire rockets are notoriously inaccurate when fired from a helicopter with actual targeting systems. Yolo'ing from the back of a vehicle like that your not getting any accuracy more precise than 'In that general direction'.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
Ukraine Waaagh: So where do you keep the red paint?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Deptfordx posted:

Those sort of dumbfire rockets are notoriously inaccurate when fired from a helicopter with actual targeting systems. Yolo'ing from the back of a vehicle like that your not getting any accuracy more precise than 'In that general direction'.

They look cool though

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

TulliusCicero posted:

Don't summon a WAAAARGH against the world like that

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

TulliusCicero posted:

They feel more in tune with another faction:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

These people are obsessed with pedophilia

Like holy poo poo I shudder at the sheer projection on display

Is this based on anything or are they just calling Mike Pence a pedophile for no reason?

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

HonorableTB posted:

I can't figure out what the gently caress that silver looking thing is. It looks like a DIY turbojet lol

A helicopter unguided missile pod.

E: beaten like Russia will be.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

NihilCredo posted:

it really is a pronounced thing how actual soldiers get into warhams a lot aint it

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1674815241245343746
So decision making centers that your stupid Ruzzian friends couldn't hit even by accident so far? Shut up and go back to digging potatoes, you senile baldy.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Lol, the new twitter crap means that it's now impossible to read the entirety of the longer tweets.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Vaginaface posted:

Ukraine Waaagh: So where do you keep the red paint?

It was inside them all along.

Phlegmish posted:

Is this based on anything or are they just calling Mike Pence a pedophile for no reason?

They call pedophile anyone they dislike. Except for that orange guy who lusts after his daughter and who partied with Epstein.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

He's a prominent US politician. The chances of him being a nonce are about 100%.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

NihilCredo posted:

The second one says "Chaos Space Marines". What a bunch of swell guys!

I have seen a fair amount of 40k iconography in this war, though I don't know if it's because 40k is big among soldiers, 40k is big in Eastern Europe, or both.

Edit: fun fact, they're called, "kosmicheskiy desantniki", or "Space Paratroopers" to make them analogous to Russian airborne troops.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 30, 2023

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

He's a prominent US politician. The chances of him being a nonce are about 100%.

Come on, he's not a politician from the UK.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Come on, he's not a politician from the UK.

Americans are English.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Twitter is best we have unfortunately. I asked astral if we could have telegram embeds and that was a non-starter.

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1674737622659235844?s=20

lmao gently caress elon

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
something to keep your eyes on...potential breakthrough actions in the Tokmak direction?

quote:

"A Ukrainian raid is said to have made it all the way down to Ocheretuvate. From there to Tokmak it's 20km. There is a main road between them. This road is parallel to the trenches and minefields and is a supply route for the Russians and presumably not mined."

quote:

Operational information as of 18.00 30.06.2023 regarding Russian invasion

Glory to Ukraine!

The four-hundred and ninety-second day of large-scale armed aggression of the Russian Federation against our state is ongoing.

Tonight, the Russian occupants launched another missile-aviation strike on the territory of Ukraine, using 4 zenitni guided missiles from zrk c-300 and 13 Iranian strike bpla "Shahed-136/131" on military and infrastructure facilities in the zaporizhzhia region. By the forces and means of the Defense Forces of Ukraine destroyed 10 of the 13 striking BPLA of the type "Shahed-136/131".

In total, during the day, the enemy launched 8 missiles and 34 air strikes, fired 40 fires from seismic fire jet systems at the positions of our troops and settlements. Unfortunately, there are killed and injured civilians, more than 20 civilian residential buildings and an educational complex have been damaged.

The probability of missile and air strikes throughout Ukraine remains high.

The opponent continues to focus the main efforts on the Lyman, Bakhmut and Maryinskomu directions, heavy fighting continues. During the day, there were 18 combat clashes.

In the Volyn and Polish directions there is an operational environment without significant changes. The sign of the formation of progressive groups was not detected.

Designated units of the Armed Forces of Belarus perform tasks in border areas with Ukraine. On the grounds of the Republic of Belarus, combat preparation and arrangement of units of the Russian Federation are underway before they are sent to the areas of warfare on the territory of Ukraine.

The opponent maintains a military presence in the Siver and Slobozhansky directions. Committed mortar and artillery shelling over 10 settlements. Among them are the red vines of the chernihiv region; baranivka and freedom of sumy region; udy, gatishche, ogirceve and dvoríčans Сеke kharkiv region.

In the Kupyan direction, the opponent committed unsuccessful offensive actions in the direction of Novoselivsky Luhansk region. Hit the aviation strike in the area of kislivki kharkiv region. Artillery and mortar shelling of the opponent suffered by Putnikove, Figolivka, Dvorichna, Masutyutivka, Kupiansk and Kyslivka in Kharkiv region.

In the Lyman direction, the opponent struck aviation in the areas of Bilogorivka Luhansk region and Spirny and Rozdolivka in Donetsk region. More than 10 settlements suffered artillery shelling, including Belogorivka Luhansk region and Torsk, Dibrova, Verkhnyokamyananske, Rozdolivka, Brestove Donetsk region.

In the Bakhmut direction, the opponent committed unsuccessful offensive actions in the areas of Bogdanivka and Chrome Donetsk region. Made an air strike near New York on Donetsk region. About 15 settlements were affected by hostile artillery shelling, including Chasyv Yar, Konstantinivka, Klishiyivka, Bila Gora, Diliyivka, southern Donetsk region.

In the Avdiivka direction, supported by aviation, the enemy carried out unsuccessful offensive actions in the areas of Avdiivka and Pervomaysky. Carried out artillery shelling over 15 settlements. Among them are ocheretine, ceramic, avdiivka, northern, water, nevels льke Donetsk region.

In the Marjinsky direction, our defenders repelled all attacks of the opponent in the area of Marjinka. At the same time, the enemy carried out an air strike in the area of this city. Carried out artillery shelling about 10 settlements, namely Krasnogorívka, Maryinka, Georgievka and Victory of Donetsk region.

In the Shakhtars давkomu direction, the enemy inflicted aviation strikes in the areas of Blagodatne and Zolota Niva of Donetsk region. Fired about 15 settlements, in particular, paraskoviyivku, blagodatne, vogledar, novoukrainka, shakhtars Зke donetsk region.
In the Zaporozhye and Kherson directions, the opponent focuses the main efforts on preventing the promotion of our troops. Made an aviation strike in the area of antonívki of kherson region.

Carried out artillery shelling over 40 settlements. Among them Novodarívka, Levadne, Gulyajpole, Zaliznične, Gulyaypils нихke, Mala Tokmachka, Novodanilívka, Walnuts, Novoandrívka of Zaporizhzhia region and Dudchany, Antonivka, Kherson, Stepanivka, Dniprovka of Kherson region.
Russian occupation troops continue to kill each other on the battlefield. Yes, in the Sergiyivka settlement of Kherson region, after regular rotation in positions, from June 15 to present, in one of the units 5 of the army of the eastern military district, up to 10 enemy soldiers were blown up on the mines set in the previous rotation.

Meanwhile, Russian occupants continue to loot and exploit civilian medical infrastructure of temporarily occupied settlements to provide medical care to their wounded servicemen. In the settlement of novopskov luhans біk region Russian soldiers loaded furniture from the maternity hospital on military cars and taken to an unknown direction, and the very territory of the maternity hospital zagarbniki are equipped under the field hospital.

The Defense Forces a day delivered 10 strikes on the enemy's personnel focus areas and 1 on the enemy air missile complex.

Rocket and artillery units during the day hit 6 areas of focus, enemy weapons and military equipment, 3 ammunition depots, 24 artillery at firing positions and the occupants REB station.

Stand by our armed forces! We will win together!

Glory to Ukraine!

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 30, 2023

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HonorableTB posted:

something to keep your eyes on...potential breakthrough actions in the Tokmak direction?

I think things like that are one of the great unknowns when it comes to the 'how's it going to proceed'. I imagine if they get some spear of the assault back behind the lines and get access to the undefended/mined supply lines that there's a chance that peninsula could fall quickly.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Can't wait to see Slagstorm and Filthfire in the next Farcry.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

I think things like that are one of the great unknowns when it comes to the 'how's it going to proceed'. I imagine if they get some spear of the assault back behind the lines and get access to the undefended/mined supply lines that there's a chance that peninsula could fall quickly.

It heavily depends on the willingness of Russian forces to stand and fight. In the Kharkiv offensive they just left as fast they could leaving cops, collaborators and supplies behind. In Kherson they made a disciplined stand and methodically evacuated.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

tiaz posted:

I suppose it'll be more intense afterwards but I feel like they've been trial ballooning Dolchstoßlegende for some time. still, :agreed:

They've been claiming a Dolchstosslegend over the alleged Western betrayal of the 1990s for years. All those (knowingly false) claims that NATO gave ironclad promises it would never expand (which are always built upon implicit expectations that the West should have actively subsidised and propped up Russian domination over its subjugated nations as the price of detente). And that it forced at gunpoint disastrous economic policies on Russia (when in reality it's elites couldn't wait to implement them, and willingly looted their own country).

And before that it was claims of Western betrayal over failing to ally with Stalin against Hitler (this forcing poor sweet innocent and naive Stalin into carving up Eastern Europe with Hitler against his will).

Russian elite nationalism is as shrill and riddled with a sense of national victimhood as almost any other. It gives the same vibes as late Imperial Germany, or it's non Weimar successor. Anything to direct the blame outward and away from the actual people who make th decisions.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Judas Priest still active, nice

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1674861766369501192?s=20

and a screenshot for the untwittered:

ZNPP explosion preparations continue, hopefully ending up as wasted effort

:getin:

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 30, 2023

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

All he had to do was sack the capital of the people employing him like a real mercenary would. Is that so hard? And he chickened out! Look at this Prig's small balls. That's what all the other mercenaries are saying.

GBS>Ukraine War: Look at this prigs tiny balls

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Top 20 SA Usernames

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
those would all make pretty sick BattleBots names too.

more rumblings of Things Happening:

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1674870788350959620?s=20

side note: gently caress elon for making me have to screenshot all the tweets i post here, this is going to severely cut into my shitposts-per-minute ratio :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

those would all make pretty sick BattleBots names too.

Going back and imagining Faruq announcing each one and yeah, yeah they do.