Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

does anybody have that video handy of climate acceptance that was touted as being a good one to send to your boomer/offline friends? i feel like i need to watch it again.

not the one in the OP. this one had the guy talking about "G*D" a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

cash crab posted:

:hmmyes: i like the cut of your jib

lmaooo

ty

witnessing a boomer climate :crackping: because canada is too cold to have wildfires

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
farkstorm

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
You do have to be a little cautious here, NYTimes has a huge hateboner for california even if it's right or wrong.

hydrological modelling is one of the hardest fields to do right, particularly in places with erratic weather like the west coast. the entire climate is far different than 1800s. much like earthquakes, we have kind of got "lucky" in that we have actually not had any real serious storms for over 150 years, even the fun 1997 El Nino Storm was pretty weak. most, if not all of the spillways, have never been loaded to beyond 30% (often less) of their capacity. Oroville for example was still well under design capacity of like 300k cfs. we haven't really had that much "in between" big storms at all, which is not a good sign.

climate is way more hosed up now and it's then ambiguous looking too far in the past. the biggest concern, and more likely scenario, for hydrometerology right now is going to be a serious many-year-long mega-drought conditions which would be even more devastating than a big arkstorm.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Crossposting from covid thread: anyone in Canada who wants to protect themselves against air - bad kind:

tuyop posted:

HOLY poo poo CANADIAN GOONS THERE'S A PPE SALE IN OUR COUNTRY

Tenaquip has a deal on 3M Aura 9210+s (the nice one with the braided straps, medium size) and 3M Aura 9211+s (the nice one with braided straps and a vent, smaller size) AND a big box of 9205s (the one with blue straps, larger size)

9210+ $29.99/20 https://www.tenaquip.com/product/3m-9210-aura-particulate-respirators-n95-niosh-certified-9210-plus-sej983

9211+ $25.99/10 https://www.tenaquip.com/product/3m-9211-aura-particulate-respirators-n95-niosh-certified-9211-plus-sr616

9205 $567.60 / Case of 440 https://www.tenaquip.com/product/3m-aura-particulate-respirator-9205-n95-niosh-certified-9205-bulk-sgw584

I just ordered as a guest to my apartment and paid with a personal card. I'll never need ppe again!!!

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Tony Tone posted:

I think people should be angry, they should carry huge amounts of hatred and disdain for either a specific group of rich/powerful locally-wise or just a generalized disdain for the rich and powerful, always ready to at the bare minimum poo poo talk them openly with the same hate the average joe has for terrorists or immigrants or Jews or whatever the gently caress. The rich should be public enemy number one, and there needs to exist an aversion to wealth. Not even for any utilitarian purpose like saving the climate because lol, lmao. But solely to get even. I think it's a lot like when a situation has deteriorated so badly between two sides, that negotiation becomes irrelevant as MAD has been set in motion already, and at this point it's all about the release of intensely repressed emotions with the other party strictly for the sole purpose of getting loving even.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

epic meme

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

smoobles posted:

the climate is fine

wrap it up biosphailures

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Taima posted:

There's plenty of reasons to be concerned but this is some bullshit. The jet is definitely weird right now but showing a text book jetstream in the article, then the current one and being like " WhOa So WaVy aNd WeiRd" is not good journalism and/or science.

The jet is never as simple as in a textbook and frequently wiles out. Is this year getting kinda freaky with it? Sure. But don't let these people make you scared when there are plenty of reasons to actually be scared.

Right now I have two major questions about this year, climatologically:

1) How strong this insane El Nino will get
2) Will it actually work like a normal El Nino in a shifting climate?

The whole cause and effect of El Nino and La Nina is getting hosed up. Some of the biggest rain years in recent memory have been in La Nina, and some pretty lovely rain years have been during even strongly presenting El Nino... I think it's an extremely open question right now if, for example, California will even get the canonical El Nino rainfall this winter or if some other random poo poo will happen.

Anyways we'll see. I might make another El Nino effortpost in a while. Short version: It's Strong, Jim

Extremely spicy subsurface El Nino warming in the far East Pacific for June/July:

I'd love to read another effortpost on this, especially as we get further into it and can compare it to previous cycles.

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum

Rime posted:

:words:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This was a loving bizarre probation? A casual forums search shows a plan to indefinitely chain-probe a user out of spite / totally deranged rap sheet axe grinding by some of the more severely maladjusted posters remaining on here.

SA feeling like a less safe and more cabal-driven cesspool every day. :(

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Rime posted:

No, China doesn't publish any data on those lines whatsoever, lol. All I have is watching Goldwind fall on its face the first time it had to compete in the big leagues instead of with MinYang and other similarly state-controlled entities in a state-controlled market. There are only 7 countries in the world which publicly report project-level annual windenergy production data. Specifically, the USA, Turkey, Denmark, Switzerland, Australia, the Dominican Republic and Brazil.

Goldwind made a huge push to try and enter the North American & Australian markets, hugely undercutting every other manufacturer with bidding and donated a modern top of the line unit to Texas A&M as a training facility. Poached a lot of top talent from other OEM's to try and build out a domestic presence. The turbines turned out to be phenomenally poo poo and rife with component failures, which is unusual as they are direct-drive and usually those are more stable. (Goldwind acquired a majority share of the german R&D company Vensys and "acquired" a bunch of Enercon features via ??? to develop their platform). I mean so phenomenally poo poo that several major projects which Goldwind had won the bidding for subsequently dropped them and went with Enercon or other manufacturers. I spoke to a lot of techs who subsequently left and it sounded pretty extremely wild, would never want to go near one.

I'm not casting shade on China in favor of (non-existent) glorious Euro OEM's, to be clear, I'm pointing out that they aren't going to sweep in with superior technology and clean up when dumpster fires such as SGRE and others finally implode. They're worse, big "melt your plows to pimp the steel production targets vibes from the pace of installation. Time will tell I guess. :shrug:

They're pulling an absolute fuckload of energy out of planetary spanning circulatory systems, sure. Unlike solar, which is passively feeding off the largest fusion reactor in our immediate area, wind generation at the scales we're now deploying is probably going to have noticeable impacts to global weather systems in the long run. Thankfully realistically it's a drop in the bucket compared to...literally everything else which is currently breaking down? And all the extra energy we've pumped in from feedback loops is more than taking up the difference. Someone graph out global annual wind energy production in Hiroshimas per annum, maybe that will contextualize things better.

To clarify: I'm still involved from time to time, but no longer aggressively traveling in field tech labor year-round (because there's no loving point, lol. The overall industry situation leading to kids getting their feet sheared off put a ridiculous premium on experience which didn't exist pre-pandemic, my most recent project was "just really glad to hear you're coming at all" when I sent them my list of requirements to attend in a senior role. I take wind work when I want to, which is very little and generally only for industry friends who have moved into managerial roles and need a crisis unfucked.

I had severe PTSD and related anxiety issues for most of 2022, it still flares up from time to time but the majority of two years at home has greatly improved matters. Broadly cutting off social media except to check the news from time to time was a major contributor to recovering from that.

Faster than expected! Oh well, back to touching grass with people who aren't totally loving insane - unlike this stirling example of why the forums continue a cancerous metastasis towards total irrelevance. :thumbsup:

gently caress off Al!

What the gently caress is this probe?

err
Apr 11, 2005

Bob Ross Nuke Test posted:

This was a loving bizarre probation? A casual forums search shows a plan to indefinitely chain-probe a user out of spite / totally deranged rap sheet axe grinding by some of the more severely maladjusted posters remaining on here.

yeah, its pretty weird

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You...you said something seven years ago! How dare you!?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

how is everything so stupid, up to and including the moderation of this thread

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

CO2 Ppm

Wildfire smoke ppm

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

BIG HEADLINE posted:

All of the *good* bugs (including those in our guts) are dying.

All of the *bad* bugs (both insect and sicknesses) that tend to spread things that cripple or kill us are thriving. Almost like an immune system attacking a threat.

I mean, for gently caress's sake, there's a tick that spreads a sickness that makes you dangerously allergic to consuming red meat. How much more on the loving nose does Nature have to get?

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Good things are for civilizations that don't destroy the environment they depend on.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
The ugly, putrid lantern fly, lower than a worm, does not even fly. It just falls on you. Or launches itself at you. What does it want? Nothing. No one knows. What could it mean?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

i think i understand why Rime left now lol

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

lmao

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

I know there is wet bulb

But is there smoke bulb?

How does 90% humidity at 90°f with 150 AQI factor in to the incredibly healthy such as myself

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hit Man posted:

I know there is wet bulb

But is there smoke bulb?

How does 90% humidity at 90°f with 150 AQI factor in to the incredibly healthy such as myself

I believe the message from everyone with power is “it doesn’t matter”

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Hit Man posted:

I know there is wet bulb

But is there smoke bulb?

If you are healthy then nothing can make you less healthy as worldly health and wealth are blessings from god upon the virtuous. If you are not healthy you have sinned and must make amends whereupon you will be made healthy and wealthy by divine providence. Nothing but god's grace matters, nothing can be done to make society better because worldly national power is also a blessing from god therefore we are already living in the best possible nation.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Hit Man posted:

I know there is wet bulb

But is there smoke bulb?

Ah, wealth is the thing that matters friend, not health.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

rime is a racist pedophile anime liker who should be chain probed every time he posts in cspam, and biosphere posters should stop defending him just because he posts about windmills

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rime is a fuckin weirdo which is why it's so sad that he is more normal than you

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the entire anime freak forum should be killed off if you actually care

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Wheeee posted:

the entire anime freak forum should be killed off if you actually care

we're all working on it, actually. the whole species.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He just wants the bad vibes man to leave

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Sometimes they post good stuff and sometimes they have really long mental breakdowns and post pedo stuff or eco-fascist stuff. Land of contrasts

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

Sometimes they post good stuff and sometimes they have really long mental breakdowns and post pedo stuff or eco-fascist stuff. Land of contrasts

yeah if rime just made his good effortposts about windmills he would be a good poster, but he has a decade long record of 19th century style racism against everyone from the roma to the chinese to global southern people at large.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Zodium posted:

rime is a racist pedophile anime liker who should be chain probed every time he posts in cspam, and biosphere posters should stop defending him just because he posts about windmills
then just permaban him from the site, this is such a weird way to deal with it

Zodium posted:

yeah if rime just made his good effortposts about windmills he would be a good poster, but he has a decade long record of 19th century style racism against everyone from the roma to the chinese to global southern people at large.
so the response is to.... prob him when he does stick to good windmill posting?

if his non-windmill posting is so awful then he should be banned for it directly

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

no its like halleys comet but for windmill chat its funny

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

bawfuls posted:

Yeah really. Calling someone a pedo and then just giving them sixers or chainprobing is loving weird. There's no actual evidence that I've seen they're a pedo except for an out of context post from years ago that doesn't look that bad too me (maybe I'm dumb and don't know enough about anime IDK) and I don't have archives anyway.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

bawfuls posted:

so the response is to.... prob him when he does stick to good windmill posting?

if his non-windmill posting is so awful then he should be banned for it directly

he should be permabanned

err
Apr 11, 2005

naw we need to rehash old drama poo poo every month

even as the jet stream is disintegrating

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

please stop sending me this chart

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum

cat botherer posted:

Yeah really. Calling someone a pedo and then just giving them sixers or chainprobing is loving weird. There's no actual evidence that I've seen they're a pedo except for an out of context post from years ago that doesn't look that bad too me (maybe I'm dumb and don't know enough about anime IDK) and I don't have archives anyway.

Trying to think of another group which is very obsessed with warped accusations of pedophilia against people they don't like, in the current moment we're living in.

Ah well, probably not a warning sign about the state of the forums. Anyways:

https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1674736887322533888

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

There’s cringe in the climate thread.