Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i was buying 3 - 5 light trucks per month before but yeah we've had to cut back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Debt forgiveness cancelled; number back up! :backtowork:

Did someone say number go up?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

its best IK stepped down

??
i'm still here

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

spacemang_spliff posted:

??
i'm still here

oh i meant mr hootington, my brother in christ and fortnite

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/MarketWatch/status/1674805904615636994?s=20

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

spacemang_spliff posted:

??
i'm still here

We're posting bad though? There's cringe bad posts in the thread!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

anime was right posted:

lyin' leon united us in a common cause. truly the ozymandias of posters.

Can't you close the thread?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

oh i meant mr hootington, my brother in christ and fortnite

hail satan

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

skooma512 posted:

We're posting bad though? There's cringe bad posts in the thread!

it's cspam they're supposed to be there!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

PostNouveau posted:

Trump is gonna campaign on erasing student debt and win by 30

:chaostrump: might actually do it too.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

skooma512 posted:

https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/us-consumer-spending-edges-up-may-inflation-still-high-2023-06-30/

WASHINGTON, June 30 (Reuters) - U.S. consumer spending fizzled in May as households cut back on purchases of new light trucks and other long-lasting manufactured goods amid higher borrowing costs, suggesting the economy lost some speed in the second quarter.

Separately, 26.6 million Americans with federal student loans will start making interest payments in October when a more than three-year moratorium ends. Morgan Stanley estimates that the hit to households' disposable income could lower inflation-adjusted consumer spending by about 10 basis points this year and slice 7 basis points off GDP growth.

so like a basis point is just a fancy way of saying % right

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Ah thing happened that will ultimately be deleterious to our consumer-based economy but is a display of power over the filthy proles?

Number Up

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm still incredulous the bottom hasn't fallen out already. Who is still out here going to restaurants and buying random crap all the time, the price of everything is up and I can't stand paying the elevated prices and avoid purchases as much as possible.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

skooma512 posted:

I'm still incredulous the bottom hasn't fallen out already. Who is still out here going to restaurants and buying random crap all the time, the price of everything is up and I can't stand paying the elevated prices and avoid purchases as much as possible.

why save? why not put everything on credit? nothing is ever going to get better, might as well enjoy life now

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I agree with you but I think that's where most people's heads are at. there are a ton of people I talk to at work who are very ambiently aware that everything is hosed but hey, 2-day delivery still works right?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

why save? why not put everything on credit? nothing is ever going to get better, might as well enjoy life now

Yeah a lot of people are like this.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
6 Months No Payments, No Interest, No Additional Carbon Footprint

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

This thread is so bad now lol
I think it's pretty good on the mean, but it's sinusoidal in terms of goodness and dips and peaks with varying frequency and duration. it has always been like that

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

better buy it now because it'll be more expensive next month

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Shear Modulus posted:

many people are saying this

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Azuth0667 posted:

:chaostrump: might actually do it too.

Nah - he might have done it pre-re-election in 2020 but he has no incentive once in office again since he can't get re-elected in 4 more years.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

skooma512 posted:

I'm in a better spot than a lot of people and don't have kids so I still go out maybe once a week. But I won't be anymore because student loans will eat up all of that extra spending cash.

I hope the scrotus just precipitated a recession and wall st crooks jumping out of windows

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

fuckin a, that too.

I got work done on my house that cost $15k last may. but the options were have it done then or wait until it was urgent, and who the gently caress knows what it'll cost by then. $40k? $100k?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

skooma512 posted:

Wile E. Coyote can just keep running in mid air so long as he does not look down

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I agree with you but I think that's where most people's heads are at. there are a ton of people I talk to at work who are very ambiently aware that everything is hosed but hey, 2-day delivery still works right?

lol 2 day delivery had been dead for a while in my experience. That poo poo is constantly delayed.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Animal-Mother posted:

Wile E. Coyote can just keep running in mid air so long as he does not look down

The invisible midair runway is CC debt and I mean eventually that's gotta run out yeah?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Demilich posted:

lol 2 day delivery had been dead for a while in my experience. That poo poo is constantly delayed.

Yeah I would say 2 day works less than 1/3 of the time now.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

spacemang_spliff posted:

I hope the scrotus just precipitated a recession and wall st crooks jumping out of windows

I thought wall st wanted to induce a recession?

and I wish the black monday murders comic had continued but I guess thats never happening :(

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wall Street wants wages down, profits up

that’s it

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Monkey Fracas posted:

The invisible midair runway is CC debt and I mean eventually that's gotta run out yeah?

"In a unanimous decision, the Supreme Court has ruled in favor of Number..."

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Xaris posted:

I think it's pretty good on the mean, but it's sinusoidal in terms of goodness and dips and peaks with varying frequency and duration. it has always been like that

No it hasn't. People keep saying this dumbshit. The thread was always driven by a handful of people posting and trying to talk about economic news while another handful just posted inane poo poo about how to become a landlord or why their mid 6 figgies isn't enough. Most of the economics news posting is gone so what is left is comfortable people talking about their neurosis. Like for fucks sake we had the Supreme Court ruling today and people were slap fighting about generations or talking about IPAs.

Thread has gone bad.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

instead of complaining all the time make the good posts you want to see 🌈🌞

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Mr Hootington posted:

No it hasn't. People keep saying this dumbshit. The thread was always driven by a handful of people posting and trying to talk about economic news while another handful just posted inane poo poo about how to become a landlord or why their mid 6 figgies isn't enough. Most of the economics news posting is gone so what is left is comfortable people talking about their neurosis. Like for fucks sake we had the Supreme Court ruling today and people were slap fighting about generations or talking about IPAs.

Thread has gone bad.

well start a new one or just ride out the derails

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

SKULL.GIF posted:

okay I found it 60 pages ago

the ssecond law of thermodynamics wins again

fukken undefeated

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Horseshoe theory posted:

Nah - he might have done it pre-re-election in 2020 but he has no incentive once in office again since he can't get re-elected in 4 more years.

He's :chaostrump: for a reason though.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
fine here's some economic news: Biden is still draining the SPR to keep the gas prices artificially low https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=WCSSTUS1&f=W

dems are worried about their re-election chances if gas prices spike to >$5

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

I thought wall st wanted to induce a recession?

and I wish the black monday murders comic had continued but I guess thats never happening :(

Wall Street wants a recession for the lower classes so the lower classes lose the little bit of leverage they gained during covid. A good way of doing that is through debt peonage which will be going into overdrive now.

We will see what happens, but all analysis point towards a Thanos snap recession when student loans start.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Thread has gone bad.

Lol, someone is angry they aren't ik anymore. Thread is fine, today is just a bad day. We need a month of red numbers :pray:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

euphronius posted:

shouldn’t the AI be training itself

If it was an actual "artificial intelligence" yes, it would be able to learn on its own like any living thing can, but it isn't, it's just a very big statistical model that doesn't change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

fine here's some economic news: Biden is still draining the SPR to keep the gas prices artificially low https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=WCSSTUS1&f=W

dems are worried about their re-election chances if gas prices spike to >$5

Did they never refill this.