Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

skooma512 posted:

Maybe it's projection, but American Christianity just seems like a cynical cash grab. Like say what you will about Islamists, but I can at least be reasonably sure they actually believe and know their own religion. Whereas with Christians, I expect the pastor goes into his office after everyone leaves and laughs at all the loving rubes while counting up the collection.

It's hard to find any aspect of American culture that isn't a grift in some form or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Joey Steel posted:

https://www.srsheritagemuseum.org/

Go here, email them and ask if the SRS curator Melissa Hanson (or anyone else from the Savannah River Archaeological Research Program) would be willing to point you in the right direction, she's the curator of the SRS site, and I think they know where to look for the Pinellas stuff. Mostly works with stuff in clearance land, but I'm sure they know where to find the declassified stuff.

Thanks, that's super helpful :shobon:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pygmy tyrant posted:

Have you checked the DOE FOIA Reading Room for results from older requests already? A quick search for Pinellas on the OpenNet database got 87 hits, and they have more dbs here

This too, thanks

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Halloween Jack posted:

The open secret of a lot of American Protestantism is that it started as a carnival act by people who figured it was better than manual labor. The Righteous Gemstones got it right when they made their Jerry Falwell analogue a former pro wrestler.

With the tent and everything!

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

America Christianity is alll about creating a power structure, National or on the local level. They create a hierarchy they all fight tooth and nail against each other to climb while creating a group they use to place a boot on the neck of a designated other who becomes less human than the in group. It isn’t some weird mutation that they easily went all in on Trump and fascism, it’s a natural evolution

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
from the NYT

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

ekuNNN posted:

from the NYT

If you wanna contribute to the rising deaths of despair for millennials go hog wild, the debt dies with you

-The New York Times

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Halloween Jack posted:

The open secret of a lot of American Protestantism is that it started as a carnival act by people who figured it was better than manual labor. The Righteous Gemstones got it right when they made their Jerry Falwell analogue a former pro wrestler.
This poo poo has been going on since prehistory. Ancient priests were always claiming the gods needed deliciously grilled sacrifices and guess who got to eat all the meat after the ceremonies??

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

skooma512 posted:

Maybe it's projection, but American Christianity just seems like a cynical cash grab. Like say what you will about Islamists, but I can at least be reasonably sure they actually believe and know their own religion. Whereas with Christians, I expect the pastor goes into his office after everyone leaves and laughs at all the loving rubes while counting up the collection.

Look up Creflo Dollar. Megachurch Christianity is *always* about grift.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

This poo poo has been going on since prehistory. Ancient priests were always claiming the gods needed deliciously grilled sacrifices and guess who got to eat all the meat after the ceremonies??

Yeah we're gonna need your finest beef calf. And soy sauce. The gods require lots of soy sauce

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Shame Boy posted:

I'd just "update it" as suggested but there actually aren't many good sources online to reference, what I've been able to figure out has been from reading through the enormous docket of the EPA cleanup, because they had to interview people and figure out what processes were being used so they knew how to clean the fuckin' thing up. The only other mention I've found that gets what they did there correct is in this self-published book about nuclear weapons I bought a little while ago (mostly because it was 2000 pages long and contained eye-watering amounts of detail about every declassified aspect of every nuclear weapon America has ever done). Even in that book he only mentions it offhand while talking about the development of the stuff they made there and doesn't go into any more detail, though at least he provides a picture of the actual devices that I've found real helpful. Neither of those are really great wikipedia sources.

hold up, that book sounds fascinating. what is it?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

jetz0r posted:

hold up, that book sounds fascinating. what is it?

Volume 1: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HTD9YKX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Volume 2: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1718121369/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A few notes:

- The ebook version doesn't include the actually pretty valuable pictures for some reason, so prolly don't get that (which I did initially like an idiot, then went back and bought the physical books)
- The dude desperately needs the services of an editor. There's plenty of obvious mistakes, including entire pages that are just duplicated here and there. Ultimately most of the book is fine, the dude's pretty smart and literate so he gets away with not having an editor most of the time, but it's not anywhere near up to the quality of like, an actual proper textbook and it shows.
- The story of why he chose to write the book is pretty funny, apparently he was at a museum and the guide couldn't answer his questions and that frustrated him enough to spend the next ten years just digging up all the publicly-accessible information he could on every aspect of American nuclear weapon design.
- Okay I guess it's only 1200 pages across both volumes, but they're big pages. The thing is like phonebook-sized.

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 02:28 on Jul 2, 2023

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Woah a lot of times it was the whole community who ate it this wasn't always that every time

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Shame Boy posted:

Volume 1: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HTD9YKX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Volume 2: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1718121369/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A few notes:

- The ebook version doesn't include the actually pretty valuable pictures for some reason, so prolly don't get that (which I did initially like an idiot, then went back and bought the physical books)
- The dude desperately needs the services of an editor. There's plenty of obvious mistakes, including entire pages that are just duplicated here and there. Ultimately most of the book is fine, the dude's pretty smart and literate so he gets away with not having an editor most of the time, but it's not anywhere near up to the quality of like, an actual proper textbook and it shows.
- The story of why he chose to write the book is pretty funny, apparently he was at a museum and the guide couldn't answer his questions and that frustrated him enough to spend the next ten years just digging up all the publicly-accessible information he could on every aspect of American nuclear weapon design.
- Okay I guess it's only 1200 pages across both volumes, but they're big pages. The thing is like phonebook-sized.

Quoting to find later

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Woah a lot of times it was the whole community who ate it this wasn't always that every time

It was mostly this. There are some books on the "politics" of sacrifice. In Greece, for example, sacrificing livestock was essentially throwing a BBQ for the working class and could build support for members of the ruling class in return. The coalition that opposed Pericles were popular because of their observance of sacrifice. Yes, piety, sure, but also they were the ones working class shlubs associated with pit beef, and got their votes in return.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Joey Steel posted:

Quoting to find later

Ditto. I've got a friend that's into this kinda thing and I need to ask her if any of her books mention the site.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Alucard posted:

That's a lie you were thumbing through to find titties and dongs like everyone else.

Yeah but even teenagers have a couple of minutes of refractory time to kill.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Frosted Flake posted:

It was mostly this. There are some books on the "politics" of sacrifice. In Greece, for example, sacrificing livestock was essentially throwing a BBQ for the working class and could build support for members of the ruling class in return. The coalition that opposed Pericles were popular because of their observance of sacrifice. Yes, piety, sure, but also they were the ones working class shlubs associated with pit beef, and got their votes in return.

Probably explains why eating any form of food sacrificed to any god except God is a serious infraction of godlaw

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

That reminds me that at one time the rich failsons' fathers would donate a lot to the church then send the son off to be a monk.While monks were supposed to lead a meager life, these rich failsons rules-lawyered their way into eating gourmet meals and drink.

https://youtu.be/zz0y1d6IIpY

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Biplane posted:

this may be controversial but hell, i'm saying it: death 2 america

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Can't believe Death 2 will be set in America. So many different interesting places they could have picked, but they go with the blandest option instead. Going to wait until it's on Netflix.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
death as a service

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Death 2 America: Amendment

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Centrist Committee posted:

death as a service

No that's Canada

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
In the city of New York the summer of 1899 was signalized by the dismantling of the Elevated Railroads. The summer of 1900 will live in the memories of New York people for many a cycle; the Dodge Statue was
removed in that year. In the following winter began that agitation for the repeal of the laws prohibiting suicide which bore its final fruit in the month of 7 April, 1920, when the first Government Lethal Chamber was opened on Washington Square.

The inauguration ceremonies were in progress as I crossed University Place and entered the square. I threaded my way through the silent throng of spectators, but was stopped at Fourth Street by a cordon of police. A regiment of United States lancers were drawn up in a hollow square round the Lethal Chamber. On a raised tribune facing Washington Park stood the Governor of New York, and behind him were grouped the Mayor of New York and Brooklyn, the Inspector-General of Police, the Commandant of the state troops, Colonel Livingston, military aid to the President of the United States, General Blount, commanding at Governor's Island, Major-General Hamilton, commanding the garrison of New York and Brooklyn, Admiral Buff of the fleet in the North River, Surgeon General Lanceford, the staff of the National Free Hospital, Senators Wyse and Franklin of New York, and the Commissioner of Public Works. The tribune was surrounded by a squadron of hussars of the National Guard.

The Governor was finishing his reply to the short speech of the Surgeon-General. I heard him say: "The laws prohibiting suicide and providing punishment for any attempt at self-destruction have been repealed. The Government has seen fit to acknowledge the right of man to end an existence which may have become intolerable to him, through physical suffering or mental despair. It is believed that the community will be benefited by the removal of such people from their midst. Since the passage of this law, the number of suicides in the United States has not increased. Now the Government has determined to establish a Lethal Chamber in every city, town and village in the country, it remains to be seen whether or not that class of human creatures from whose desponding ranks new victims of self-destruction fall daily will accept the relief thus provided." He paused, and turned to the white Lethal Chamber. The silence in the street was absolute. "There a painless death awaits him who can no longer bear the sorrows of this life. If death is welcome let him seek it there." Then quickly turning to the military aid of the President's household, he said, "I declare the Lethal Chamber open," and again facing the vast crowd he cried in a clear voice: "Citizens of New York and of the United States of America, through me the Government declares the Lethal Chamber to be open."

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Was listening to the latest Planetary Radio podcasts from the Planetary Society over the weekend and it was a super depressing one-two punch all about how public-private partnerships are necessary now for everything followed by a deep dive description of how Congress formulates NASA’s budget every year and how they’re not even going to keep up with inflation anymore. Of all the awful poo poo discussed, when I heard them say (swear to god), “Space Suits as a Service,” I cracked a ping I didn’t know I still had.

There’s something so depressing about how we handle space stuff now. it used to be like the one thing we could all point to and say, “look - we can do this cool poo poo, and it’s not about money.” Maybe that’s naive, but it still makes me sad.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

To be fair, the reason you did space stuff was mostly a way to publicly demonstrate how powerful and precise your far reaching rockets were, as a not very subtle way of telling the Soviets that you could in fact easily glass their entire country. The space stuff was cool, but let's not pretend it wasn't funded 90% because the military needed to wave their dick around.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

BonHair posted:

To be fair, the reason you did space stuff was mostly a way to publicly demonstrate how powerful and precise your far reaching rockets were, as a not very subtle way of telling the Soviets that you could in fact easily glass their entire country. The space stuff was cool, but let's not pretend it wasn't funded 90% because the military needed to wave their dick around.

I mean, all you need to do is look at the Space Shuttle: compromised in design so the USAF could use it to fractional-orbit steal Soviet satellites.

And they never even used it to do that.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lordshmee posted:

Was listening to the latest Planetary Radio podcasts from the Planetary Society over the weekend and it was a super depressing one-two punch all about how public-private partnerships are necessary now for everything followed by a deep dive description of how Congress formulates NASA’s budget every year and how they’re not even going to keep up with inflation anymore. Of all the awful poo poo discussed, when I heard them say (swear to god), “Space Suits as a Service,” I cracked a ping I didn’t know I still had.

There’s something so depressing about how we handle space stuff now. it used to be like the one thing we could all point to and say, “look - we can do this cool poo poo, and it’s not about money.” Maybe that’s naive, but it still makes me sad.

Okay "space suits as a service" got me too, gently caress

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BonHair posted:

Eh plenty of stuff sure but like, the Saturn V really didn't have much military potential or even transferrable technologies. I know we like being cynical as all hell (and for good reason) but c'mon we walked on the loving moon and even in the deepest of cold war rah rah bullshit tensions the plaque we left still says "from the planet earth" and not "from America" and idk, that's something at least :sigh:

Next one we leave is gonna be an ad for FritoLay, isn't it

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lol if you think we will ever leave this dead gay planet ever again.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

Eh plenty of stuff sure but like, the Saturn V really didn't have much military potential or even transferrable technologies. I know we like being cynical as all hell (and for good reason) but c'mon we walked on the loving moon and even in the deepest of cold war rah rah bullshit tensions the plaque we left still says "from the planet earth" and not "from America" and idk, that's something at least :sigh:

You don't need to go to the moon to advertise on the moon; just bomb it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

the Saturn V was built off the skeleton of the V-2 as part of operation paperclip. Its main purpose was to bring lots of Nazis to the US ASAP after the war ended .

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

In Training posted:

the Saturn V was built off the skeleton of the V-2 as part of operation paperclip. Its main purpose was to bring lots of Nazis to the US ASAP after the war ended .

I mean no that was the Redstone and Atlas programs, we absolutely did not give a gently caress about space poo poo in like 1946 and the Saturn V only resembles Von Braun's then-idea for the A10 or whatever in the most basic "it has several stages and is real big" way.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Any rocket that can put stuff in orbit has military applications

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Biplane posted:

Lol if you think we will ever leave this dead gay planet ever again.

President Xi will lead the way!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

GotLag posted:

Any rocket that can put stuff in orbit has military applications

Sure, and it's not like I'm gonna pretend defense companies didn't build every fuckin' part of that rocket, it's just clearly not a design meant or particularly fit for military applications or that we ever seriously considered using for them beyond a few proposals that didn't really go anywhere. Keep in mind it came from an era when both military and civilian rocket programs were getting limitless funding and the military already had plenty of rockets that could do whatever they want in the pipeline, and as far as they knew they'd soon have the Dyna-Soar spaceplane and pure-military space stations and poo poo so like, they didn't have much of a reason to focus on it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shame Boy posted:

I know we like being cynical as all hell (and for good reason) but c'mon we walked on the loving moon and even in the deepest of cold war rah rah bullshit tensions the plaque we left still says "from the planet earth" and not "from America" and idk, that's something at least :sigh:
Real passive-aggressive. "I know you couldn't make it up there yourself, Russia, but don't worry, we signed your name on the card as well. It's from all of us."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Anyway the big rush to privatize the last bits of the space program means that the rural area I grew up in has experienced weirdly explosive boom-town-y growth and that's just so loving bizarre. Like my parents finally sold the ol' house to retire and they got a real good price for it because there's just... not any free land there anymore, in this area I remember being mostly vacant, rotting and forgotten orange groves and depression. The crazy lady that lived behind us in a falling-down shack of a house is gone, replaced by a young SpaceX bazinga family building their dream home. There's even a few examples happening of the classic "bulldoze the area where the poor people lived to build luxury apartments" thing, like it's a real city or something! I mean afaik it's still not actually a real city because the citizens have voted down incorporating as a city every time it has ever come up because THEN WE'D HAVE TO PAY TAXES!!! so instead they pay taxes anyway that go to the neighboring cities to provide civil services that we don't get any say in, which is way better for some reason. But still!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Taxaties without representation is the American dream.