Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Ice Phisherman posted:

If your manager is cool, he or she will be getting high with you and possibly be your weed plug too. Beware the cokehead manager though. They're really annoying.

Where on the scale does the "crystal meth smoking manager who sleeps in the gap between the freezer and roof after close and makes homemade dildos he leaves laying around" fall?

err posted:

Yeah, I agree. I've posted about loss and grief in here and it's a nice resource but having it at the top is like advertising "look at my hosed up situation" or something.

If anyone harvests this thread for lolz is a good indication they need to be removed from the forum for good. This isn't 2006 and harvesting misery of people with mental health issues for cruelty laughs isn't acceptable. I'd prefer the thread stayed stickied.

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 03:46 on Jun 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Ronwayne posted:

If anyone harvests this thread for lolz is a good indication they need to be removed from the forum for good. This isn't 2006 and harvesting misery of people with mental health issues for cruelty laughs isn't acceptable. I'd prefer the thread stayed stickied.

strong point

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ronwayne posted:

Yeah, how the gently caress is this even happening without serious comsequences?

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Ronwayne posted:

Fully agreed. The problem here is not the mental health thread being stickied, the problem is the people who are making a problem out of that. Designing the forums around the shittiest people on them is going to make them smaller and worse than they need to be.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

man I’m getting worsening brain zaps from anxiety even though I’ve been managing well with medication lately. not fun. not quite sure what to do about them.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mods seem to be doing a decent job at slapping it down when someone admits to it, but it's not like they can ban people for thought crime

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Christe Eleison posted:

man I’m getting worsening brain zaps from anxiety even though I’ve been managing well with medication lately. not fun. not quite sure what to do about them.

What exactly are brain zaps, like what do they feel like? I've heard about them, like when you're on certain medications?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ronwayne posted:

Where on the scale does the "crystal meth smoking manager who sleeps in the gap between the freezer and roof after close and makes homemade dildos he leaves laying around" fall?

OK yeah this is a much better point. If people really get that much joy out of mocking people having tough times they can join kiwifarms or start a true crime podcast, we don't need that around here and we certainly don't need a culture that protects such an interest group.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Waffle House posted:

What exactly are brain zaps, like what do they feel like? I've heard about them, like when you're on certain medications?

Have you ever had a random muscle twitch so suddenly that it surprised you and kinda hurt a little bit? It feels like that except centered in your head and it interrupts your thoughts. Like a sudden mental muscle cramp.

You'd know them if you ever had them. They don't feel like anything else and you usually get them when you stop taking things like anti-depressants.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

wash bucket posted:

Have you ever had a random muscle twitch so suddenly that it surprised you and kinda hurt a little bit? It feels like that except centered in you head and it interrupts your thoughts. Like a sudden mental muscle cramp.

You'd know them if you ever had them. They don't feel like anything else and you usually get them when you stop taking things like anti-depressants.

Holy poo poo. I actually have had those before. I thought it was just my eyes doing weird things when I shift them too fast. That is super bizarre, I've never taken antidepressants.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

Witeldram posted:

Anyone know how to deal with job search stress? I'm planning on applying to jobs again but I hate the cycle of anxiety and depression: anxiety from applying to jobs, and depression when things don't work out. I'm still living financially comfortable despite being unemployed, but I do want to get a job soon. I've also done some volunteer work and it's added some structure to my weekly routine, but it still feels different from having an actual job.

I find that, when I do apply to jobs, I have to go into it with kind of a "gently caress you" attitude. I assume they're not going to respond, and if they do, gently caress em, I'm worth more money than what they're offering but maybe I'll deign to take a look.

Coincidentally I have been unemployed for about 6 months

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Jorge Bell posted:

I am going through a massive existential crisis and one of the most comfortable and easy jobs I've worked in the past decade was delivering pizzas for Domino's. It also paid more than when I did white collar QA at a tech company, by almost double. Strongly encourage ppl to become pizza heroes if "regular jobs" are getting to them. Once you get over whatever internal shame you have of moving "down" it's way way better imo.

If you can get a job getting rid of litter, it's also nice for this.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Witeldram posted:

Anyone know how to deal with job search stress? I'm planning on applying to jobs again but I hate the cycle of anxiety and depression: anxiety from applying to jobs, and depression when things don't work out. I'm still living financially comfortable despite being unemployed, but I do want to get a job soon. I've also done some volunteer work and it's added some structure to my weekly routine, but it still feels different from having an actual job.

It's an inherently stressful process that puts a lot of strain on your self confidence. Everyone has to put up with it from time to time.

I've actually gotten some pretty nice confidence boosts by taking courses on Udemy.com. I thought they would be a scam but the ones I've tried are surprisingly good. Like, I have things I'm good at but I also have things that I'm familiar with but would be stressed if I had to demonstrate them as part of a job evaluation. Turns out they had a good course on one of those things and going though it has been one "ah ha!" moment after another. So now something that would have stressed me out during an interview has become a confidence booster for me. Feels good.

This all assumes you've got the time and money for it though. Which won't be the case for everyone.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Tulip posted:

OK yeah this is a much better point. If people really get that much joy out of mocking people having tough times they can join kiwifarms or start a true crime podcast, we don't need that around here and we certainly don't need a culture that protects such an interest group.

I think a lot of us are still traumatized from that south park era of 1995-2012ish where it was expected that you just...tolerate shitheads bullying you because showing any reaction, including/especially getting rid of the bully, was handing victory to the bully somehow. "I smugly hurt you until you made a cry of pain, you care about something, therefore, you lose"

As an aside, the modern version of this in a lot of progressive communities have a lot of trouble ejecting toxic assholes who are not bigots, under the assumption said toxic rear end in a top hat will eventually say something bigoted. While this does happen sometimes, a lot more often said toxic rear end in a top hat who is not a bigot is allowed to torment others by using the language of therapy and the fact they are from an oppressed group. A lot of empathic people unfortunately never make the connection someone can be a victim of injustice AND a complete rear end in a top hat who should be shunned and that "we must listen to them" doesn't mean endless carte blanche.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, how the gently caress is this even happening without serious comsequences?

i haven't seen it happening anywhere fwiw

i think this is a concern being goon-telephoned into an active problem unless i missed something, there's nothing to even make jokes about

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Telling a bunch of literally crazy people that some guys are making fun of them, somewhere, is not helpful. There have already been multiple instances itt of distressed people not wanting to share because they're afraid that their bosses or professors or relatives will find their posts here and be mad about something. While I'm not suggesting that this thread is a safe or private space, backing that idea by referring to potential anonymous forums bullies is also a crazy thing to do. The OP and common sense already reflect that this isn't a private or safe space and that just like anywhere else, people shouldn't be posting personally identifiable details.

When I started posting here I immediately got attacked by people assuming I was posting in bad faith because I was yelling at somebody saying stupid poo poo, this thread is generally defensive enough because we are all anxious paranoid lunatics.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah idk: there's been a few obvious incidents (some psychos in the old GBS Ukraine thread were bragging about hate reading this thread, though they got banned for it); and I don't really keep up on interforums drama so idk if it's actually at all common

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Wild to me that any time this thread gets mentioned at all in other places, the move is to close it or make it less visible. The thread has obvious utility as a place where, in response to a venting post, posters typically get suggestions of therapy, coping mechanisms, or similar situations faced by others.

FirstnameLastname posted:

i think this is a concern being goon-telephoned into an active problem unless i missed something, there's nothing to even make jokes about

Seriously the thread has been boring in a good way lately, IDK what the fuss is or why any action needs to be taken at all.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Jorge Bell posted:

Seriously the thread has been boring in a good way lately, IDK what the fuss is or why any action needs to be taken at all.

There's a little clique of blackpilled shitheads that have been doing the same thing to the COVID thread. Why they can't all just migrate over to some other website's /b or /pol is beyond me, as well.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

olives black posted:

There's a little clique of blackpilled shitheads that have been doing the same thing to the COVID thread. Why they can't all just migrate over to some other website's /b or /pol is beyond me, as well.

first off this is a total misrepresentation of anything that's happened, you know it, and you're doing it because you' stuck your foot in your mouth in that s.a.d. hread recently

second please don't do whatever you think you're doing in this thread, it's not involved in anythng and it should stay that way

threadful of people with anxiety disorders and traumas and w/e don't need to be told that there's a secret cabal of gangstalkers who hate people with depression lurking in the shadows - don't do that poo poo man what the gently caress lol

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

first off this is a total misrepresentation of anything that's happened, you know it, and you're doing it because you' stuck your foot in your mouth in that s.a.d. hread recently

Sure buddy. Sure. *headpats*

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

olives black posted:

second please don't do whatever you think you're doing in this thread, it's not involved in anythng and it should stay that way

threadful of people with anxiety disorders and traumas and w/e don't need to be told that there's a secret cabal of gangstalkers who hate people with depression lurking in the shadows - don't do that poo poo man what the gently caress lol

olives black posted:

Sure buddy. Sure. *headpats*

I don’t think this is helpful.

Someone used a post from this thread to demonstrate an issue they have with the covid thread and a few people briefly ran with it but that original poster later explained they weren’t trying to cause issues for this thread and that thread has completely dropped any discussion of it and I think we can just drop it here too. I think people just got carried away and didn’t think of it having a knock on effect here.

My (non-mod) personal opinion is that everyone posting here already knows that people can see their posts and I don’t think unsticking the thread is going to change how people choose to interact with the thread, but for people who might need to get to it in a crisis having it at the top of the subforum makes it easy to get to a helpline or people to talk to and I agree with this post:

Jorge Bell posted:

Posting here has always been public, and I think there's some value having a very visible sincerity zone at the top of cspam.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
fwiw I don't think there is any current problem with people reading this thread for bad reasons. I can only remember one person ever saying they read this thread to mock the people in it, and they got banned for that a year ago and never reregistered. Whether or not the thread should be stickied is a valid question to discuss, but not because the visible is attracting negative attention.

A month or two ago I had a talk with the thread IKs about rebooting this thread with an updated OP, at which point I would move the old thread to a hidden forum so that years of people's sharing and personal experiences wouldn't just be sitting out in public forever. Whenever the reboot happened we were also going to talk to the thread regulars about whether the rebooted thread should stay stickied like this one has been. The momentum behind that died down when Uganda Loves Me decided to step down as IK, but it's still something I'm open to from the mod side.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Ya throwing an old version into a hidden archive makes sense if there's a replacement up.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I do have to say that personally it's been helpful for me to occasionally refer back to my posts here in lieu of actually keeping a journal. Not entirely opposed to hiding it if other people would prefer it, but I'd like to see it not get completely hidden imo

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

StashAugustine posted:

I do have to say that personally it's been helpful for me to occasionally refer back to my posts here in lieu of actually keeping a journal. Not entirely opposed to hiding it if other people would prefer it, but I'd like to see it not get completely hidden imo
I do a little bit of both - posting here and writing on a journaling app. I find this thread more effective because I'm actually talking to people and not simply venting.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Witeldram posted:

I do a little bit of both - posting here and writing on a journaling app. I find this thread more effective because I'm actually talking to people and not simply venting.

Yeah posting here feels a little better because people might see and even help, and then it's useful to look back and go "huh so that's how I was feeling last January, and that's what someone told me that helped me feel better." Idk if there's some other way to make it semi hidden, like close it and dump it in e&n somewhere?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Jorge Bell posted:

Ya throwing an old version into a hidden archive makes sense if there's a replacement up.

:same:

Keep it stickied though. Like a few people here have already said, sincerity at the top of the forum is good.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Looks like we have in fact killed it. I hadn't checked PYF in a while because of the sagas thread that has not just done this in the past but has I know mined my life problems for comedy content, but looks like not only is it a dead concern but some of the worst offenders are permabanned, so that's nice. System works and I was a bit outdated.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I personally would vote to disappear this thread, start a new one, and keep it stickied. I care more about making sure people who might need this thread see it than keeping prying eyes off it since that hasn't been a big problem.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
i'll allow it if i can also disappear with it

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Ronwayne posted:

Yo I feel like this got overlooked for some reason, but:

(1) what the gently caress
(2) would you mind elaborating for us please, perhaps in a thread somewhere else :lol:

Waffle House has issued a correction as of 14:25 on Jun 30, 2023

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

spoilers since off topic but I have no idea where this would go;

Friend worked at papa johns in dallas, which is basically the french foreign legion of pizza places, no questions asked about applicant past. Coworkers included

-Dude that was not part of a hubcap theft ring but openly aspired to joining one

-Dude with 20 dogs on forever probation. My sympathy waned as I found out he was moving away from selling weed toward more of an enforcer role in whatever weird crime circle he was part of

-Dude that kept a jar of a pint or so of mercury he stole from other job in a pickle jar. (The mercury, I was unsure if the jar was the original container or that was brought in to said previous job to steal said mercury) on the shelf of his garage.

-Dude that masterminded the plan to steal soda bottles but instead of just taking one, he took one sip from from 20 sodas and put them back in the fridge.

-Dude that let a wasp infestation nest in the middle of his house grow until the hive was the size of a human torso. He eventually decided to seize back control by putting on a motorcycle helmet, a heavy winter jacket, two pairs of jeans, double socks and gloves, taping all of the hinges together with duct tape and attacking it with a baseball bat. Since he continued to be alive, I assume he was either victorious or some kind of detente/white peace was struck.

-Lady that was 400lbs of love that during smoking breaks would cook chicken by wrapping it in aluminum foil and cooking it on the engine block of her giant truck. She was fired repeatedly and just returned the next day and they kept paying her.

-And then there was the manager. his initials were J.J.J., and he was not spiderman's editor. His girlfriend's adult son stole the manager's 90s era civic and took it to oklahoma to do ??? and it returned with a smashed in windshield. Which for the duration I was aware of was never fixed. There was the ice smoking, (you could get glass pipes from the gas station in the strip mall, sold under the label of "discount flower vases"), the artisanal dildo whittling, which is not a euphemism, these were hand carved out of wood, and as far as I could tell he was either homeless or could never go home and after close when everyone else left he would set the alarm, crawl into the space between the freezer and the ceiling, and go to sleep. I mean. When the meth let him.

I dunno, I liked the lumpenprole part of dallas way more than the lily white upper middle class/lower rich exo-cities.

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 21:22 on Jun 30, 2023

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Ronwayne posted:

Right there near "got fired for goatmanning my boss" do not ask me how I know this

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Getting all of my medications sorted out after my ADHD diagnosis and dealing with the existential realization that I've been walking around brain damaged for my entire life and it's probably had a radical effect on who I am and where I've ended up.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Zeroisanumber posted:

Getting all of my medications sorted out after my ADHD diagnosis and dealing with the existential realization that I've been walking around brain damaged for my entire life and it's probably had a radical effect on who I am and where I've ended up.

i think there's an element of unfairness that comes with it for some people. i laughed when my dad neglected to tell me he had been diagnosed because "he forgot" and he got really upset, and said, "don't laugh at me, this stole my whole life from me." a heart breaking statement, really. there's also another part of it where a lot of people say that they actually feel a lot better knowing they're not uniquely broken and awful, they just live in a world that is not set up for their brain chemistry. kind of comforting in its own way.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Zeroisanumber posted:

otoh you finally stood up and did something about it, so in fact, congratulations

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Zeroisanumber posted:

Turned out years of me being chastised by my grade school teachers for ADHD behaviors was actually ADHD. I was formally diagnosed when I was 30. It can be frustrating looking back, but at least you have some answers now and a path forward

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Yeah, i had years of family pressures telling me anything short of howling at the moon non-lucid schizophrenia was just a case of people "needing a kick in the rear end" and aformentioned non-lucid schizophrenia should be dealth with by "locking your crazy relatives in the attic." Mom will never accept she made everything worse and that I needed help even as a kid. I know people who say "mom's always know" re: their kid's true internal identities but I think that's bullshit, especially in this case.

Triply so when=functionality=holding down a job, nothing else considered.

I had to scream until she cried until she backed down from "only people who bring money into the house get a say in anything!"

Don't stop fighting, goons. as the saying go "best time was years ago, 2nd best time is today"

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 03:09 on Jul 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

shyduck posted:

Turned out years of me being chastised by my grade school teachers for ADHD behaviors was actually ADHD. I was formally diagnosed when I was 30. It can be frustrating looking back, but at least you have some answers now and a path forward

I can't get too mad about it because getting diagnosed in the late-80's/early-90's when you have a negligable number of hyperactivity symptoms was almost impossible because the awareness of inattentive-style ADHD was next to zero. I had a couple of really perceptive teachers who wondered if I maybe had dyslexia or something similar, but no one ever put two and two together and I thought I was just really not good at studying.

It's not useful to speculate about it, but I kinda can't help it.