Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
dumb

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 07:56 on Jul 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

ok you can in fact achieve infinite growth within the physical universe by dumping exponentially increasing amounts of matter into a black hole

until you run out of things to dump in the black hole of course

Universe is infinitely expanding outwards, so I can’t see how you could run out of matter. Universe supports infinite growth, we just need the tech for it.

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

Ihmemies posted:

Universe is infinitely expanding outwards, so I can’t see how you could run out of matter. Universe supports infinite growth, we just need the tech for it.

The perception of the universe from EARTH is that light appears to be shifting away from us when we do not have a research station outside of the solar system to validate the claims.

We need extra-solar research to prove if this is real or not.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
According to the incredibly powerful crackpot theorems I have investigated via the uap thread this poo poo is crazy and it should be possible to engineer the physical substrate of reality with careful application of antimatter, which I presume is easily accessible

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

SniperWoreConverse posted:

According to the incredibly powerful crackpot theorems I have investigated via the uap thread this poo poo is crazy and it should be possible to engineer the physical substrate of reality with careful application of antimatter, which I presume is easily accessible

Breaking news, humanity harnessed the power of an entire star to produce antimatter so Mark Zuckerberg could make Pikachu real, kill him, and eat him

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

The Voice of Labor posted:

when the biosphere collapses we'll still have the cringosphere to shelter us

will we though?

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
I’m gonna be so ducking pissed when I’m like the last human alive and I become a ghost and there’s nothing left to haunt except stupid jelly fish just floating around in an acid ocean that hurts even my ghost body as I observe them and then I gotta spend eternity watching them not evolve at all since they already been like that for like a half a billion years which is just about the same as sharks and if your that old you don’t evolve much anymore you reached perfection so I’m just bored to tears since I can’t spook them

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
[Biosphere Collapse] No Rime or Reason to Hope

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
No Rime, No Reason, Just Cope

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Rime 2: Repete

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Soggy Muffin posted:

I’m gonna be so ducking pissed when I’m like the last human alive and I become a ghost and there’s nothing left to haunt except stupid jelly fish just floating around in an acid ocean that hurts even my ghost body as I observe them and then I gotta spend eternity watching them not evolve at all since they already been like that for like a half a billion years which is just about the same as sharks and if your that old you don’t evolve much anymore you reached perfection so I’m just bored to tears since I can’t spook them

dun be angery

Be one with the jelly. :unsmith:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

i’m watching the tour de france coverage and this is one of the major sponsors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoG6s0hTr-Y

dreaming of watching icebergs melt from my plague ship

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

I changed my mind. Be angry.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

I changed my mind. Be angry.

I don't have the energy or I would be

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

toggle posted:

i’m watching the tour de france coverage and this is one of the major sponsors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoG6s0hTr-Y

dreaming of watching icebergs melt from my plague ship

why not just live on one, like dennis hopper in waterworld

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I wonder if I could take out enough credit to pay for that, then just throw myself overboard when it was over

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It honestly wouldn't surprise me if those "live on a cruise liner" ideas don't go horribly wrong in the same way the Biosphere projects have.

"Let's collect a ton of fragile upper-middle-class to genuinely *rich* people together in a microcosmic environment for a long period of time. What could go wrong?"

The first time they run out of coffee while underway, there'll be a body count.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

mawarannahr posted:

i thought that was just a goon. lol

My guy, have you heard the Good Book Of Solow?

Blog detailing our societal game of chicken with reality posted:

In the distant future, aliens come to Earth. They find a planet devoid of life. Looking closer, the aliens see that life on Earth was once abundant, but was wiped out by a mass extinction. Curiously, this event was driven not by geological disaster, but by one of the extinct species itself. In an orgy of consumption, an odd little animal put the planet under enough stress to drive itself —and the rest of life — extinct.

Then comes a startling discovering. Preserved in the sediment lies a document written by a member of the doomed species. What secrets does it contain? The aliens work for years to translate it, hoping that it offers a clue about what drove the species to overconsume. And indeed it does. The document heralds a remarkable delusion: “The world can, in effect, get along without natural resources.”

What a naive animal, the aliens conclude. While sucking the planet dry, the animal proclaimed its independence from natural resources. No wonder it went extinct.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if those "live on a cruise liner" ideas don't go horribly wrong in the same way the Biosphere projects have.

"Let's collect a ton of fragile upper-middle-class to genuinely *rich* people together in a microcosmic environment for a long period of time. What could go wrong?"

When I initially read Aurora by Red Mars Man, I kinda disliked the idea that the generation ship would be a bad idea to try and reach an alien world and explore it because so many factors couldn't be accounted for or controlled. After thinking about it a bit more, I find it somehow more unrealistic in not having the whole thing fall apart before it even leaves Sol, let alone gets to another system.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

When I initially read Aurora by Red Mars Man, I kinda disliked the idea that the generation ship would be a bad idea to try and reach an alien world and explore it because so many factors couldn't be accounted for or controlled. After thinking about it a bit more, I find it somehow more unrealistic in not having the whole thing fall apart before it even leaves Sol, let alone gets to another system.

Can you imagine how many separate military contractors would be involved in its construction? It would make the f35 look like a toaster and it’d fall apart when 8% complete

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

celadon posted:

Can you imagine how many separate military contractors would be involved in its construction? It would make the f35 look like a toaster and it’d fall apart when 8% complete

Only because the red tape of safety precautions isn't allowing innovation to flourish.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

imo we should collect all the rich into a single place

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Blockade posted:

imo we should collect all the rich into a single place

:hmmyes:

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
How about Earth? seems like most of them are there already

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

They all get free trips on Titan II when it's quickly cleared for tourist trips.

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

Soggy Muffin posted:

Im gonna be so ducking pissed when Im like the last human alive and I become a ghost and theres nothing left to haunt except stupid jelly fish just floating around in an acid ocean that hurts even my ghost body as I observe them and then I gotta spend eternity watching them not evolve at all since they already been like that for like a half a billion years which is just about the same as sharks and if your that old you dont evolve much anymore you reached perfection so Im just bored to tears since I cant spook them
learn to love haunting jellyfish

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Pingui posted:

Only because the red tape of safety precautions isn't allowing innovation to flourish.

Much like international waters, there's nobody in charge of regulating space. We are primed for some serious comedy from private industry when they start putting up things people are meant to live in. All those redundant safety measures NASA and co. put into their stations and long mission ships are sooooooooo inefficient after all.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Gravid Topiary posted:

this happened to my apple trees as well, lots and lots of blossoms but only a few dozen apples actually on the trees now :smith:

no apples want to grow anymore

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Good. I'm against growth

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Not to mention that even regular short-term cruise liners are a breeding ground for disease.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/DavidMusiker/status/1675448174767423488?s=20

As you can expect a certain type of person is extremely furious about this conceptual argument

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Rectal Death Adept posted:

As you can expect a certain type of person is extremely furious about this conceptual argument

Can't wait to be put into a matrix pod and then ground up into soylent when I get old

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i look forward to the country that cant build bridges that stay up to engage in worldwide geoengineering projects

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

no apples want to grow anymore

You're a rape apologist. Stop posting in CSPAM.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ihmemies posted:

Do you believe that the universe is creating matter as it expands? If so I have some bad news about conservation of mass for you.

FlapYoJacks posted:

can you guys pick a different thread to do this poo poo in

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

https://youtu.be/L3LbxDZRgA4

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

can you guys pick a different thread to do this poo poo in

Yeah especially when you can mock the same poster for thinking that the Biden-Harris Administration has single-handedly saved the climate by paying oil and gas companies to pump more oil and gas using co2 because a blog told them so.

cspam has different threads for a reason!

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

FlapYoJacks posted:

You're a miserable little wretch and need to stop bringing your stupid drama into every thread we both happen to post in. :thanks:

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah especially when you can mock the same poster for thinking that the Biden-Harris Administration has single-handedly saved the climate by paying oil and gas companies to pump more oil and gas using co2 because a blog told them so.

cspam has different threads for a reason!

gotta celebrate the small victories! IRA is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

You're a miserable little wretch and need to stop bringing your stupid drama into every thread we both happen to post in. :thanks:

stop posting in cspam