Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The problem I had with the goop shotguns at the end of DMS is that they are just really mathematically awkward. Always having to take 3 shots to take down a bug is just annoying, and things turn really repetitive in those tunnels down there as a result. Though really the entire ending section is just kind of janky in general.

I feel the earlier part of DMS is what actually shows off the competent structure that Shadowrun Returns is able to use later in the sequels, or hell even in the custom campaigns people made. Despite its own jank, I found Nightmare Harvest to be a really good use of it for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

JustJeff88 posted:

謝謝

I recognised the Chinese characters for Chinese, but not the trailing characters. It had to be either ‘simplified’ or ‘traditional’, given the context, and the former made more sense given the year and what would make the most sense in a light, entertaining video game.
The ones you just used there are traditional characters. Basically, the only places that still use traditional characters are Taiwan and the overseas Chinese communities who were long settled before the PRC introduced the Simplified character set in the 50s, plus Hong Kong.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

game's good, campaign is even pretty good as a narrative! it's just that the campaign doesn't have much replay value and you're going to 'solve' the game strategically pretty fast in vanilla.

Yeah, pretty much. Also it's a bit repetitive without DLC ; but since DLC and mods exist, game v. good.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

GhostStalker posted:

The ones you just used there are traditional characters. Basically, the only places that still use traditional characters are Taiwan and the overseas Chinese communities who were long settled before the PRC introduced the Simplified character set in the 50s, plus Hong Kong.

Fascinating. I have no knowledge of the Chinese language and always wondered about who uses which system where and when. I've often quipped that one knows that a language is very complicated when native speakers of it decide that it needs to be simplified.

Not nearly on the same level of complexity, but in modern French they are proposing to eliminate the ^ (circonflex) symbol in cases where it doesn't change the pronunciation. This symbol can show up on any vowel, and hundreds of years ago it was vital for indicating which vowel sound to use. These days, though, it affects pronunciation in at best 30% of cases and sometimes only if one is Canadian.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

e: actually never mind, misread before, answered the wrong question

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Kobal2 posted:

Yeah, pretty much. Also it's a bit repetitive without DLC ; but since DLC and mods exist, game v. good.

the gag behind the campaign is extremely good, too: it is a fully feudal story, with all instances of the word "magic" replaced with "technology," played completely straight. they never so much as wink at it, and it all flows naturally in-universe. you might need someone to point it out to notice that you have just done a quest for a wizard so he'll decipher a magic map for you, and that he has just told you to beware, for while the treasure is as great as legends say it is guarded by a terrible curse.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Battletech is a very good game and floating around with your merc company blowing up fools is a great deal of fun - especially once you start getting into heavier mechs with higher level pilots. There's nothing like the feeling of headchopping fools from range with a Marauder using a Gauss rifle, or using a Stalker with an 80 long range missile alpha strike. Or just sticking an AC20 on an Urbie and letting it blow the poo poo out of something twice its weight.

The campaign is fun in and of itself as well... especially when you get to play with some special toys.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

"Is it any good?" I ask the person who has played it for nearly 200 hours. "The multiple LPS of it on these forums don't seem to play the campaign, which I consider a red flag and not a positive sign that so many people want to lp it(as in a normal lp, not a point and laugh at all the bad lp)."

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

FoolyCharged posted:

"Is it any good?" I ask the person who has played it for nearly 200 hours. "The multiple LPS of it on these forums don't seem to play the campaign, which I consider a red flag and not a positive sign that so many people want to lp it(as in a normal lp, not a point and laugh at all the bad lp)."
I have 10,000 hours of TF2 under my belt (most of it idling) and would never recommend it in its current state. Other people hate play management games etc for thousands of hours.

The LP addendum is just weirdly poorly thought out? If people value the game for poo poo that I don't care about and don't like the things that interest me, it's a really obvious "this game is not for me" flag.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Like nobody here ever hateplayed the gently caress out of a game out of spiteful contempt for something whithin themselves.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Xander77 posted:

I have 10,000 hours of TF2 under my belt (most of it idling) and would never recommend it in its current state. Other people hate play management games etc for thousands of hours.

The LP addendum is just weirdly poorly thought out? If people value the game for poo poo that I don't care about and don't like the things that interest me, it's a really obvious "this game is not for me" flag.

If you are referring to Team Fortress 2, I remember when that was actually a game the people played that was fun. I miss that.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

By popular demand posted:

Like nobody here ever hateplayed the gently caress out of a game out of spiteful contempt for something whithin themselves.

Never.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

And to witness a person hateplaying themselves into a padded cell or an early grave: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027885

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023

Xander77 posted:

I felt that.
Although, I think it's not necessarily the same case as other people discussed. Being online, TF2 changes with time. Many LP's are about solo games that are the same since the start, and the masochists just go for it despite these games being just as bad.
I got mere 700 hours into TF2, and while I play a lot less now, most of these 700 were a pure joy. Sometime between 2010 and 2012 its was pretty much my only game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Mindopali posted:

I felt that.
Although, I think it's not necessarily the same case as other people discussed. Being online, TF2 changes with time. Many LP's are about solo games that are the same since the start, and the masochists just go for it despite these games being just as bad.
I got mere 700 hours into TF2, and while I play a lot less now, most of these 700 were a pure joy. Sometime between 2010 and 2012 its was pretty much my only game.

Mine was 2008 and I had tapered off by 2012, but that was largely due to starting a new job that demanded a lot of hours. My divorce from TF2 had far more to do with the negative evolution of the game than boredom, burn-out, finding another game or people being dicks (common problem in online games).

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023

JustJeff88 posted:

Mine was 2008 and I had tapered off by 2012, but that was largely due to starting a new job that demanded a lot of hours. My divorce from TF2 had far more to do with the negative evolution of the game than boredom, burn-out, finding another game or people being dicks (common problem in online games).

The death of community servers did it for me. Once Valve cut the valve (heh) that put players on all servers left and right to only put them on official servers, the whole modding community - that hodgepodge of weird servers but great creativity (team deathmatch on a mario kart map anyone?) - just left. It's still a game with great mechanics, and I think they did some stuff to curb bots as I encountered a lot less of them lately, but it's not the same anymore. In my mind, TF2 during that period goes along with gmod and all the gmod videos that were put on youtube, I loved seeing the weird stuff people would think up, or wait up the next meet the... video, and it's just a great memory.

I wish Valve would put more aftercare in that game, but still, for a multiplayer shooting game, going fifteen years strong and still having so many players is a feat in itself, I suppose it's normal that games have their high point and then slowly fade. I'll keep the good times in memory.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Mindopali posted:

The death of community servers did it for me. Once Valve cut the valve (heh) that put players on all servers left and right to only put them on official servers, the whole modding community - that hodgepodge of weird servers but great creativity (team deathmatch on a mario kart map anyone?) - just left. It's still a game with great mechanics, and I think they did some stuff to curb bots as I encountered a lot less of them lately, but it's not the same anymore. In my mind, TF2 during that period goes along with gmod and all the gmod videos that were put on youtube, I loved seeing the weird stuff people would think up, or wait up the next meet the... video, and it's just a great memory.

I wish Valve would put more aftercare in that game, but still, for a multiplayer shooting game, going fifteen years strong and still having so many players is a feat in itself, I suppose it's normal that games have their high point and then slowly fade. I'll keep the good times in memory.

When it gets down to it, the business model changed. I got the game when it was part of the Orange Box with a bunch of other regular games for £20 or howevermuch, but there's a lot more to be made in selling cosmetics that the player never sees because it's a first-person shooter.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Part 30 - Party Night

NEW MUSIC:

Sure, but Neville Ma and Penelope Wong will be *at* the party. If we don't bluff our way in, we can't talk to them. My vote is party. Can we go to the party?

Odds are we'll have to try and pay a visit there to get the full story either way, so we might as well handle things down here first, get some information before we start the less predictable half of this job. Maybe should've brought a hat for Gaichu or something though, in hindsight.

Let's get to that party and see if we can dig anything up.

If you think you can get us in, lead the way.

[Gobbet rubs her hands together excitedly.]

The catering at these things is always top-notch. We're talking caviar, Taz. Booze with gold flecks in it. I think that I might smell pheasant.

It smells like quite a feast... sweet and unctuous, like duck fat and honeycomb.

[He sighs.]

A pity that my preferred dish won't be on the menu.

Hey, you never know. Maybe you'll get lucky.

[Is0bel shakes her head at Gobbet.]

How can you be hungry anyway? I just watched you power down a dozen dumplings and a pitcher of oxtail soup.

Aside from mingling and making sure Gobbet won't be caught trying to stuff entire food trays in her pants, our main goal here is to find out how exactly this Neville Ma was able to afford to get treated and discharged from the hospital so fast after his crash, and bring back evidence of possible foul play to his rival.

The elevator there should take us to the main man's apartment once we're all partied out and ready to call it a night. Got a door to the east, and ahead is the restaurant where said party is ongoing.

Good evening, fellow hotel guest. Here to be a perfectly legitimate attendee of this fine party, like ourselves? And yes, we are in fact dressed as a ninja, it's a cultural thing, let's not make things needlessly awkward with unnecessary questions on the subject.

No restaurant service tonight. The kitchen staff's too busy with the party to serve anyone. Wish I could get onto that balcony...

[He sniffs the air wistfully.]

All that delicious food!

See? This guy knows what's up.

What's so special about this party?

Are you kidding? There are tons of trid stars out there! Man, I'd love to get my picture taken with Derek Yuen or Wing Mak-Lam. They're in Promises in Moonlight. You... know the show, right?

[He fiddles shyly.]

I'm afraid not.

I'll, uh, get right on that. Good luck with the kitchen, buddy.

drat, these trid show fans are an intense lot, almost triggered our fight or flight response for a moment there. Anyway, shame we don't have the time to sit down for some Buddha's delight right now, employer's delight gotta take priority.

Restaurant area and kitchen here, and going by that guy watching the balcony door, this is as far as we're going to get without anyone trying to stop us.

Shenyang mentioned this Penelope Wong lady as well, particularly popular star or something, and that he'd like to have her on his own team instead. Worth keeping an eye out for her too.

Let's see what we can get out of the waiter before trying our luck with the doorman, the invisible rank and file is who often hold the real keys to these kinds of get-togethers.

What's with the guard by the balcony?

There's a private party outside, and our establishment provides security for any event that requires it. But don't worry, the balcony will be free again in a few hours.

The balcony is undoubtedly looking forward to its imminent liberation, but we're more interested in the people stomping around on its surface.

I've got some questions about Neville Ma. Heard of him?

[His expression clouds.]

Certainly. *Everyone* knows Mr. Ma.

What kind of a person is he?

Between you and me, he's... difficult. Which is putting it lightly. Man runs the staff ragged.

[He jerks his thumb in the direction of the Veranda.]

That's his party out there. Richies like him love to display their wealth.

Doesn't sound like a fan, and the non-fan of our enemy is our potential tool.

Sounds like you have some stories.

[He lowers his voice.]

Like you wouldn't believe. He once made a handful of us walk all the way out to Shek O to fetch dumplings for his guests. It was pouring out, with winds blowing around fifty kilometers per hour. Practically a death march in that weather.

Why didn't the kitchen here make Ma some dumplings?

By the time we got back from Shek O, the dumplings were cold, the party was over, and Ma had retired to his suite with a pair of starlets. We had to pay for those dumplings out of our own drat pockets. Couple days later, Kevin came down with pneumonia from the trip. Lost his job over it. And that's just *one* of our experiences with him. Needless to say, no one here's a fan of the man. But we're paid to serve the tenants here, so that's what we do.

[He shrugs.]

It's a living.

You look exhausted though. Why don't you take a break?

Not yet. I can't afford to miss any tips.

[He sighs.]

I went to Macau last week, and it wiped me out. Bad luck with the horses, you know?

That's not even the most dramatic Macau wipeout we've heard about recently. Maybe not the first place we'll visit for a vacation, if we ever see freedom again.

I'm in a pretty lucrative trade, myself. Care to make a deal?

[The waiter stares at you, suspicious, but his desperation gets the better of him.]

I'm listening...

I need access to a penthouse apartment. Name your price - I've got nuyen to spare.

And by "nuyen to spare" we mean "enough nuyen to technically count as spare change", but let's at least check the local price levels. The place is bound to be locked by some code or another anyway.

Alright. Whose apartment?

Neville Ma's.

Five hundred nuyen and the code is yours.

[He blurts it out without a second thought.]

Five hundred? The guy seems desperate enough that he'd accept half that with a bit of persuasion, but even half of a five hundred is a decent bite out of sword fund. No reason to start throwing money around until we've looked around for cheaper alternatives first, but let's keep the offer in mind.

Too rich for my blood.

Suit yourself.

Alright, let's see if we can't talk our way through the suit watching the party itself. Despite our ninja getup, we're probably not going to be able to balcony hop our way from a next door apartment or anything cool like that, so this being our only way in, we're gonna have to make sure we play this smooth and not raise unnecessary suspicion.

[His eyes land on Gaichû, and his face goes white. He recoils on horror.]

What the hell?! Ghoul! Ghoul in the lounge!

Be silent!

[His voice comes out in a rasping hiss.]

Calm yourself. You are going to cause a panic.

[The guard stares at you, his mouth agape.]

What the hell do you think you're doing, bringing a ghoul in here?!

Alright Shin, the man is asking you a very reasonable question, so all you have to do is simply provide him with an equally reasonable explanation. Harmony is everything.

(Charisma: 3) (Lie.) Use your head. That isn't a real ghoul! He's an actor in costume.

Oh.

[He leans in to inspect Gaichû.]

That makeup is... really good.

Hey, if you don't mind my asking, what show are you working on? I might like to check it out.

It's, uh... it is a pilot. We're shopping it to the networks.

[He jerks his thumb in your direction.]

Talk to my agent. She can fill you in on the details.

Huh? Oh, right, of course, uh...

It's called "Chop-Chop Kitchen." It's an ultraviolent cooking show about a cannibal chef who kills, cooks, and eats other chefs.

But only the uptight ones. I have a code.

[The guard nods excitedly.]

Hey, that sounds really good! You know, a lot of show business-types come around these parts. I'll do what I can to shop it around! "Chop-Chop Kitchen." It has a great ring to it!

Yes, uh... we are all very proud.

[He stares at the guard's hand for a moment before extending his own. They shake.]

Yes. Thank you for your enthusiasm. The pleasure was mine.

It was something alright, almost forgot how to breathe for a while there. But hey, he never actually ended up asking for our invitations as a result of... whatever all that was, so we're in!

Nice view up here, sure beats the one from our own rust basket. Maybe we should ask Kindly Cheng how much it'd cost to haul Big Texas up to the roof of a skyscraper...

Let's use our status as official Chop-Chop representatives to do some mingling.

I heard about that. Doesn't seem to have slowed him down.

The man's a machine.

[He smirks, amused by himself.]

Not *literally.* But he might as well be the way he sprang back after being t-boned at 140 klicks an hour.

Seriously? Man should look like cat food after an impact like that.

I don't know how, but here he is. Alive and kicking. Or dining - regaling - what have you. If you ask me, it's all that positive qi the fans have stirred up. I heard there were entire message boards praying for him and making offerings at temples. The Matrix is nuts for Promises in Moonlight. If Ma hadn't negotiated a second season, his fans would just as easily have turned on him.

If that's all it takes to win immortality, maybe I should become famous too.

Moving on from the clearly busy producer, there's a lot of stardust in the air here, and nobody on this balcony is dustier than this woman. Could this be the one and only...

Fantastic party, Penny. Please extend my thanks to Mr. Ma. I'm Ms. Argyle.

He'll be delighted to hear it! Our Neville takes any chance he can get to show how well Yellow Springs Studios is doing. Do you know him well?

Never met him. But I couldn't miss the chance to see the unkillable man.

[She turns her head and chuckles politely.]

He does seem to be that, doesn't he? I must admit, I nearly died of fright when I heard what happened. But to look at Neville now, you'd never guess he'd been hurt. It's miraculous, isn't it?

Sure sounds like it. But narrow and heavy tend to be the golden gates of temples where they hand out such healing miracles.

I'll keep his secret if you will. It's a shame the rumor mill's caught wind, though...

There are rumors? I haven't heard any rumors...

You wouldn't believe the things people are saying. Embezzlement, secret partners, and other such chicanery. I'm sure it's all nonsense.

[Her face reddens.]

That's ridiculous! The studio's doing better than ever - we're even expanding! No money lost there.

I wouldn't put any stock in Matrix rumors. Especially the ones about new investment partners.

Oh?

There was a woman... can't remember her name... who now visits Neville regularly. I hear she's quite the fashionista.

This a business or personal relationship?

[Penelope shrugs.]

They seem to get on well. I'm a little sad he's never introduced us, though. She's supposed to make an appearance tonight. I'm very much looking forward to meeting her.

[Her gaze drifts over your shoulder for a moment, and she smiles at someone behind you.]

Oh, please excuse me. That's Mr. Yao, and I promised him I'd say hello tonight. Enjoy the party!

Seems everyone has somebody more important to talk to here than us. Just as well though, doubt we can find many topics of common interest.

Thank you, Penny. It was a pleasure.

Now, we didn't come all this way only to not say hello to the grand Ma himself. All this whispering and tiptoeing around is well and good, but the freshest goods you gotta squeeze directly from the source.

Ms. Argyle. Quite an affair you've got here.

I do my best.

[He gestures at the array of beautiful people mingling on the dance floor.]

Appearances are important in Hong Kong. If you look weak, that's how you'll be treated. Make a show of prosperity, and it will follow.

I'm sure everyone is glad to see your accident hasn't hindered you.

[He chuckles.]

I blame the newsfeeds for that. They made the accident seem much more serious than it was. My car was destroyed, true, but I emerged largely unscathed.

I've heard about that. How did it happen?

[He sighs.]

It seems as though that's all anyone wants to hear about these days. To be honest, I'm getting rather tired of repeating the story. Suffice it to say, a delivery truck - a drone - experienced a glitch and ran a red light. If it hadn't hit me, it would have hit someone else.

Did the police discover anything unusual?

Not really. Apparently, the latest software update to the truck had gotten corrupted, but that was all they found. It was shocking to discover that the delivery company missed the glitch. But I suppose that it's a mistake anyone could have made, and certainly not enough to point to any one person.

This guy sounds more laid-back about nearly getting turned into a smoothie by a runaway truck than he was about chef Kang's dumplings. Kinda expected his type to immediately demand heads on plates for the kitchen to serve as an entrée here.

You were discharged from the hospital pretty quickly after your accident. Your treatments must have been expensive.

Not especially. Guangzhou's hospitals are top-tier. Confidentially, my rapid recovery mostly came down to luck; the accident could have been a lot worse than it was. I owe Eurocar a lot of thanks for their safety features.

I also heard you made a new friend while you were in the hospital.

Yes, Miss Feng. She's quite an admirer of Promises in Moonlight. She kept my spirits up as I was recovering from the accident.

What line of work is she in?

She's independently wealthy. I believe that she was an early investor in Eastern Tiger during their expansion several years ago.

Well, I'm glad she could help with your recovery.

[He smiles.]

So am I.

This Miss Feng sounds like a character worth investigating, could be that her help wasn't limited to just the spiritual kind. Before we leave this party behind us, let's quickly check if his aura tells a different story from his mouth.

Curious, but not much to go on. At least we know he wasn't replaced by an android or something.

Thanks for talking with me, Mr. Ma.

My pleasure. Please, enjoy the party.

Back in the hallway, the door we spotted earlier leads to a lone matrix dataline. We did bring Is0bel along, so we'll have her get to know it better.

The Matrix section Is0bel faces is extremely short, consisting of merely one cyberroom, but it is a very busy one with three Watcher ICs patrolling on different lanes leaving few gaps long enough to pass through inbetween, and even a single step forward from the gate landing her to the danger zone. The system trace limit here is also a mere 30, and seeing as a single Watcher accumulates 20 per turn if she's spotted, it's very difficult to avoid a fight here once caught in the many headlights.

The key for a successful sneak-through is the cyberpillar in the corner here, it's tall enough to obstruct the view of the Watchers moving through the lanes above, and with a bit of good timing Is0bel is able to cover the short distance to the other side of this busy intersection.

The unalerted Blocker IC is easily handed afterwards, with plenty of time to spare.

Digging through the various bits of data, there are no new insights as to anything that's going on with Ma, but Is0bel does ultimately walk away with his door code, some paydata, and a party invitation which we could've used but managed without just fine. Yeah, totally fine.

And that does it for the mezzanine floor, at least for now. We've got the keys to the house, so let's go put them to use and see if can't dig up exactly what kind of dirt Neville Ma's "miracle recovery" is covered in, next time.

The restaurant waiter is willing to take all of your remaining money if you don't have enough money for his 500 nuyen door code. There's also this different version if you do have the required 3 Charisma to haggle him down to 250 nuyen, but don't have even that much:

Five hundred nuyen and the code is yours.

Holy hell. Are you a waiter or a robber? I can't give you that!

Seriously? Where's your "nuyen to spare"? You must be a special kind of deadbeat to show up at a high-class hotel and attempt to bribe its staff with an empty wallet and hot air.

[Something in the waiter's face softens as he looks at you.]

Aaw, hell. If you're really that bad off, you need the money more than I do. The code is 1635. If you get caught, we never talked. Got it? Now, if you'll excuse me, I have work to do.

---

If Gaichu isn't in the group, then either a more difficult Charisma check (lying that you've already been through before and he just forgot) or the invitation is required to get through the door guard. Having Gaichu around gives automatic access however.

Two other very real show ideas you can pick to pass through said guard:

It's called "Ghoul School." It's a musical comedy about an international academy for HMHVV-infected youth.

I play the role of Mr. Hondo, the martial arts instructor.

-

It's called "ShadowFORCE." It's about a team of shadowrunners who get sent to the future so that they can help fight against alien invaders.

The twist is that *we* were the aliens all along.

---

If you can't or won't lie to the guard, a more direct approach works as well:

What the hell do you think you're doing, bringing a ghoul in here?!

I think that we're going to that party. And I think that if you don't let us, he's going to bite you.

That has been known to happen.

[He leans toward the young security guard.]

And don't even think of calling the police. If you raise an alarm, many people will die. And then I will find you.

I won't call the police, I promise! I won't call anybody.

[The guard's eyes dart from side to side. A bead of sweat traces its way down his cheek.]

Go on in, be my guest! This job isn't worth getting turned into a monster for.

Thanks for your cooperation.

---

Having the invitation allows the most simple (boring) way in, even with Gaichu in tow.

He's not a ghoul, he's an HMHVV-infected person who happens to be a friend of Penelope Wong. And we have an invitation.

[He takes the invitation and scrutinizes it. He then looks at you, reluctance plain on his face.]

Enjoy the party, ma'am.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 7, 2023

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
I remember when I first played through the game bringing him along just to see if the game would react to it. Love how the devs knew exactly what the player would choose

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
gaichu is many things, but above all others, the man commits to the bit

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'm glad I got to see this, because I was all boring and sensible and thought 'bringing a ghoul to a socialite party isn't a smart move'. It isn't, but it's a lot funnier.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

gaichu is many things, but above all others, the man commits to the bit

It's great. :allears:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

He's also kind enough to offer the player the choice of setup.

Part of what makes this game so great is that not only is bringing the rotted flesh Maneater to a social event hilarious, its also easier.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
All of the show ideas are gold.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Gaichu’s dialogue is one of the reasons why this is one of my favorite runs in this game, and there are a lot of good ones.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Chalk up another reason why Isobel gets glued into a lot of party setups. Getting up to the apartment is an essential mission part, with getting into the party being completely optional. However, the waiter there is essentially a penalty for not bringing her, being either a 500 or 250 funds dip to make use of him (other than the alternative of simply being too poor). Hence, you can't fail to get the door code from him. The funds thing only gets worse considering that without her you're not getting that paydata either, so it's a bit of a compounding problem.

Add that combined funds deficit with a blind player not knowing which runs will and won't have decker solutions, and yeah.....

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, I know it’s been mentioned a couple of times, but you pretty much absolutely need a decker for most missions; otherwise you miss out on a lot of easier solutions to mission requirements or paydata to pad your meager nuyen (assuming you’re decent with the Matrix navigation parts and the decking minigames). Is0bel being handy with a grenade launcher helps too when things start to go loud.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Speaking as a relative of a famous chef (Gordon Ramsay and I are in the same Scottish clan) and a major celebrity fan, I would enjoy "Chop-Chop Kitchen". Pity it's not a real show.

This is a great mission in general. Many fun character moments and a good overall plot.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The Chef pilot does sound like the best one to me, too.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Keldulas posted:

The Chef pilot does sound like the best one to me, too.

Dexter meets Hannibal by way of Kitchen Nightmares. Honestly you probably could sell that to netflix.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

The increasingly tenuous excuses you come up with to bring Gaichu along are one of the highlights of this game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Keldulas posted:

Chalk up another reason why Isobel gets glued into a lot of party setups. Getting up to the apartment is an essential mission part, with getting into the party being completely optional. However, the waiter there is essentially a penalty for not bringing her, being either a 500 or 250 funds dip to make use of him (other than the alternative of simply being too poor). Hence, you can't fail to get the door code from him. The funds thing only gets worse considering that without her you're not getting that paydata either, so it's a bit of a compounding problem.

Add that combined funds deficit with a blind player not knowing which runs will and won't have decker solutions, and yeah.....

There is one more way (I guess technically three more ways) to figure out the code which doesn't require paying the waiter or having Is0bel that we didn't get to yet, so she's not that essential on this run overall with Gaichu basically being able to handle everything she can aside from the paydata, but yeah, the ol' decker "requirement" for first time players definitely clashes with the more fleshed out crew members in this game as well.

Actually there are still conversations in the files relating to a computer terminal that required a decker on this mission, including getting scolded if you didn't bring one because "There was bound to be a computer full of information like this one", but it doesn't exist in the final mission (and the computer would've turned out useless anyway).

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 8, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stroth posted:

Dexter meets Hannibal by way of Kitchen Nightmares. Honestly you probably could sell that to netflix.

Kitchen Undead Nightmares

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kanfy posted:

There is one more way (I guess technically three more ways) to figure out the code which doesn't require paying the waiter or having Is0bel that we didn't get to yet, so she's not that essential on this run overall with Gaichu basically being able to handle everything she can aside from the paydata, but yeah, the ol' decker "requirement" for first time players definitely clashes with the more fleshed out crew members in this game as well.

Actually there are still conversations in the files relating to a computer terminal that required a decker on this mission, including getting scolded if you didn't bring one because "There was bound to be a computer full of information like this one", but it doesn't exist in the final mission (and the computer would've turned out useless anyway).

Yeah, unfortunately the Decker Tax is a very real thing in Shadowrun in general because your decker is usually your only means of going quiet 90% of the time. (The remaining 10% is just pure smooth talking like we've seen this update.) It sort of makes sense given that so much of the cyberpunk dystopia is as attached to the Internet of Things as our own is, but it's still present.

It wasn't so bad in Dragonfall where Blitz was honestly good enough to be overkill for most situations, and Is0bel at least holds her own with the boom-thrower if things have to get loud. Does kind of screw you solid in DMS, though.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Kitchen Undead Nightmares

Ghouls in Shadowrun aren't actually undead, they're still warm blooded and need oxygen and all that jazz.

Their dietary requirement is also somewhat interesting because they don't exclusively eat human flesh either, they just need to eat it regularly - the rest of their calories can come from other sources.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The decker tax is real and it would all be better if your decker could just be on the other side of a mobile phone that you plug in various things when not in the active party. Or you could have enough party slots to bring your whole crew, that could work too, but the game convention is that it doesn't work that way.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

SIGSEGV posted:

The decker tax is real and it would all be better if your decker could just be on the other side of a mobile phone that you plug in various things when not in the active party. Or you could have enough party slots to bring your whole crew, that could work too, but the game convention is that it doesn't work that way.

They did this for Blitz's personal mission and I wonder why they didn't do it more.

That said, there's something to be said about going in as small of groups as can be feasible when you're breaking the law; less way to get noticed and less horrid repercussions for the group as a whole if you do.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It'd be interesting if there was a SR:Returns game that took this idea to the logical extreme, and your decker never comes along in meatspace.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

pity they didn't include a line from Gaichu about Ma's aura too since ghouls see into the Astral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

SIGSEGV posted:

Surely there are mods for this game that allow for these things? I hope so anyway. Pathfinder can be tedious with a full crew party, but it is ultimately more fun for some players, myself included. Hope similar mods exist for the Shadowrun games, which I still need to play.