Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
We have beaten the dam topic to death in this thread at least two distinct times ending with the same conclusion both times. Geospatial data did reveal seismic activity consistent with explosions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Wickerman posted:

We have beaten the dam topic to death in this thread at least two distinct times ending with the same conclusion both times. Geospatial data did reveal seismic activity consistent with explosions.

Sounds like you are dam tired of this discussion

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Please take your dam arguments to another dam thread

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

GD_American posted:

Please take your dam arguments to another dam thread

That’ll be spillover though :mad:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Saukkis posted:

It would still be too slow even with modern trackways. The big problem would be the single lane. An engineering tank carrying mats will reach the end of the road, roll out couple tens of meters of road, and then back out of the road all the way to the start so the next tank can do it's run. They would have to build two roads side-by-side to make it at all practical, that's at least couple thousand rolls of mat. I wouldn't dare to do that under easy drone surveillance.

You can do a six lane corduroy just as fast as single lane. With modern industrial equipment and the generic availability of bulk timber why wouldn't you. Also you have your own counter battery artillery that out ranges theirs and you know the swamp not mined.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hekk posted:

So that the first bit of debris lying around costs them a million dollar prop that they never have enough of?

:thejoke:

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
If the Russians did intentionally cause a radioactive leak at ZNPP and the radiation drifted into Poland and other NATO countries , would that be justification for NATO involvement in the conflict?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Cimber posted:

If the Russians did intentionally cause a radioactive leak at ZNPP and the radiation drifted into Poland and other NATO countries , would that be justification for NATO involvement in the conflict?

Plausible if they actually admit that it is intentional.
If we are 90% sure that it is intentional, but they insist that it was accidental/the Ukrainians, almost certainly not.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

VictualSquid posted:

Plausible if they actually admit that it is intentional.
If we are 90% sure that it is intentional, but they insist that it was accidental/the Ukrainians, almost certainly not.

There's no way it'll happen beyond being intentional, at this point everyone is well aware who is controlling the plant and the lengths that the Ukrainian operators and IAEA went to protect the plant.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

There's no way it'll happen beyond being intentional, at this point everyone is well aware who is controlling the plant and the lengths that the Ukrainian operators and IAEA went to protect the plant.

Not that I want to see NATO dragged in because "This business will get out of control", but even if it was truly an accident I think Russia falls under the 'you break it you buy it' concept. They seized the plant, they are 100 percent responsible for its safety.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Cimber posted:

Not that I want to see NATO dragged in because "This business will get out of control", but even if it was truly an accident I think Russia falls under the 'you break it you buy it' concept. They seized the plant, they are 100 percent responsible for its safety.

Sure they are 100% responsible, just like they are for the plants in actual Russia.
But, I don't think anything that isn't openly admitted to being intentional will draw a direct military response, unless it happens several times. It will draw some other response, but no direct intervention.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Can someone explain to me how NATO getting involved would be bad? Russia had no significant allies in this war, and the full might of a US backed NATO force would eliminate Russian forces in short order. I think the concern over CBRN weapons is real, but at the extreme end of realistic response.

I am small Grunt brain, so me confused as to why NATO intervening- even as a peace keeping force- is a bad idea?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cimber posted:

Yes but they DGAF about its safety.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

Can someone explain to me how NATO getting involved would be bad? Russia had no significant allies in this war, and the full might of a US backed NATO force would eliminate Russian forces in short order. I think the concern over CBRN weapons is real, but at the extreme end of realistic response.

I am small Grunt brain, so me confused as to why NATO intervening- even as a peace keeping force- is a bad idea?

Putin barely managed to contain a half assed coup attempt last weekend. What's he going to do when NATO completely destroys the Russian armed forces within 2 weeks?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

bulletsponge13 posted:

Because the situation could rapidly escalate outside of Ukraine.

Not trying to get into ClancyChat, but I could see this happening.

US and allies launch a sudden cruise missile strike at Russian assets inside Ukraine, popping a bunch of ammo dumps, airfields or other high value targes.

Russia retalliates by striking targets within Poland, Finland and other NATO forces in Europe.

NATO then ups the game by employing fighter aircraft (A-10 go brrrrr!).

At some point Russia might be desperate enough to use a few tactical nukes. If that happens well, buckle the gently caress up.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cimber posted:

It would but NATO will never intervene even if Russia says "yeah we did it and gently caress you."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I assume "NATO intervention" isn't "Polish divisions finally get to avenge the fall of the PLC" but is more like "OK, rear end in a top hat, we're giving Ukraine 36 F-16s and we're going to stop giving a gently caress on whether they can hit your backlines with their missile grants." I also suspect the more consequential part would be China, because it seems as though Xi has been saying to Putin in a loud voice "YOU HEAR ME? NO loving NUKES!" and deliberately sabotaging a large nuclear power plant and releasing radiation is definitely a bullshit "I'm not touching you" adjacency.

What would seem more likely is that Putin's people try to gently caress up ZNPP in a way that doesn't release radiation but does ruin the plant for use as a source of electricity. I don't know exactly what that would look like, but there's probably stuff you could do. The worry I would have here is that Putin's gang of idiots fucks that up and they do in fact accidentally release radioactive material.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

bulletsponge13 posted:

It's 100% the threat of nuclear escalation. There is a fear that Russia will resort to nuclear weapons in the face of an existential threat. Ukraine taking back its territory is not in any way an existential threat to Russia no matter what Russian propaganda would have us believe (maybe if Crimea is retaken, but we're a long way off from that.) Russia's military getting rolled by NATO very well could be one, though.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The idea that Russia could hit Poland or Finland is laughable. Theyve got nothing left in the tank. People are worried because Russias only card left to play is nukes.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

M_Gargantua posted:

The idea that Russia could hit Poland or Finland is laughable. Theyve got nothing left in the tank. People are worried because Russias only card left to play is nukes.

drone or cruise missiles are what I am thinking.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
They don't have enough of those to prosecute their existing war. What could they possibly have left to use against NATO countries with proper IADS at full strength.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

bulletsponge13 posted:

NATO is a defensive alliance. They don't just arbitrarily attack someone because they feel like it. "NATO imperialism" would become a real thing and not just a fantasy that Russia is projecting.

Invoking Article 5 would require Russia to attack a member state, and then the alliance voting to respond. There isn't any other mechanism for their involvement.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

NATO is a defensive alliance. They don't just arbitrarily attack someone because they feel like it. "NATO imperialism" would become a real thing and not just a fantasy that Russia is projecting.

Invoking Article 5 would require Russia to attack a member state, and then the alliance voting to respond. There isn't any other mechanism for their involvement.

I got peacekeeping confused. NATO =/= UN

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

They don't have enough of those to prosecute their existing war. What could they possibly have left to use against NATO countries with proper IADS at full strength.

Which nato countries have a proper IADS at full strength? And especially the baltics?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Nessus posted:

I assume "NATO intervention" isn't "Polish divisions finally get to avenge the fall of the PLC" but is more like "OK, rear end in a top hat, we're giving Ukraine 36 F-16s and we're going to stop giving a gently caress on whether they can hit your backlines with their missile grants." I also suspect the more consequential part would be China, because it seems as though Xi has been saying to Putin in a loud voice "YOU HEAR ME? NO loving NUKES!" and deliberately sabotaging a large nuclear power plant and releasing radiation is definitely a bullshit "I'm not touching you" adjacency.

What would seem more likely is that Putin's people try to gently caress up ZNPP in a way that doesn't release radiation but does ruin the plant for use as a source of electricity. I don't know exactly what that would look like, but there's probably stuff you could do. The worry I would have here is that Putin's gang of idiots fucks that up and they do in fact accidentally release radioactive material.

Maybe I'm being a negative nancy, but I cannot possibly imagine Xi giving a gently caress as long as nothing Chinese gets irradiated by blowing up the ZNPP. Like they're perfectly happy being Russia's buddy through a massive genocidal invasion and a laundry list of war crimes, why would Chernobyl 2 matter to them? The only real consequence is likely to be even more guns for Ukraine, which would absolutely still be meaningful, but not NATO cruise missiles sinking the entire Black Sea fleet meaningful.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
iirc they can invoke Article 5 for an attack and then collectively decide to not attack, respond with something other than an attack, or do nothing.

quote:

The Parties agree that an armed attack against one or more of them in Europe or North America shall be considered an attack against them all and consequently they agree that, if such an armed attack occurs, each of them, in exercise of the right of individual or collective self-defence recognized by Article 51 of the Charter of the United Nations, will assist the Party or Parties so attacked by taking forthwith, individually and in concert with the other Parties, such action as it deems necessary, including the use of armed force, to restore and maintain the security of the North Atlantic area.

Russia might huck its last Soviet era missile at a trainyard in Belgium, have it careen off course and blow up in the Baltic, and NATO collectively goes :mediocre: and just sends them a fine for illegal ocean dumping.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The Russian Federation being a rotten husk of it's USSR peak, with an army that has been just wildly cretinous, is irrelevant to the the fact that they have enough nukes to end the world. Even if only a fraction of those work, and that's not a gamble a sane person would countenance, NATO and Russia actually going properly hot means a significantly higher than zero likelihood of us all dying in the spicey fire.
This is how NATO getting directly involved would be bad.

Beyond that there's not really much point engaging with the thought because it requires ignoring everything that has shaped and overshadowed East/West relations for the last 73 years, 8 months, and 6 days.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

PurpleXVI posted:

Maybe I'm being a negative nancy, but I cannot possibly imagine Xi giving a gently caress as long as nothing Chinese gets irradiated by blowing up the ZNPP. Like they're perfectly happy being Russia's buddy through a massive genocidal invasion and a laundry list of war crimes, why would Chernobyl 2 matter to them? The only real consequence is likely to be even more guns for Ukraine, which would absolutely still be meaningful, but not NATO cruise missiles sinking the entire Black Sea fleet meaningful.
Well, I went to look up where the fallout went and it's kind of hard because of course this is also a topic of the Posting War, even if I have loose support for one side of it (the side that says nuclear power is cool, good and our friend).

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20002040/ was the best thing I could find, and to quote the abstract:

quote:

Radioactive contamination from the Chernobyl meltdown spread over 40% of Europe (including Austria, Finland, Sweden, Norway, Switzerland, Romania, Great Britain, Germany, Italy, France, Greece, Iceland, Slovenia) and wide territories in Asia (including Turkey, Georgia, Armenia, Emirates, China), northern Africa, and North America.

So they were affected, and while a ton would depend on the wind, it seems like it would be beyond idiotic for Xi to say "Yeah, don't use a nuclear weapon, but I'm actually completely fine with it if you cause a massive burst of nuclear contamination which may land on us." This assumes Xi is strictly okay with the prospect of loving up Ukraine to whatever extent Putin wants; and I imagine Xi, for instance, is not eager to see a massive spike in the commodity price of wheat for the foreign policy goal of "?? Russia can do whatever it wants??"

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Nessus posted:

So they were affected, and while a ton would depend on the wind, it seems like it would be beyond idiotic for Xi to say "Yeah, don't use a nuclear weapon, but I'm actually completely fine with it if you cause a massive burst of nuclear contamination which may land on us." This assumes Xi is strictly okay with the prospect of loving up Ukraine to whatever extent Putin wants; and I imagine Xi, for instance, is not eager to see a massive spike in the commodity price of wheat for the foreign policy goal of "?? Russia can do whatever it wants??"

I think Xi's opposition to the use of nuclear weapons is that others might respond with nuclear weapons and thus start a general fuckfest of explosions that no one survives, not "you irradiated and war crimed a bunch of people that aren't a domestic issue for me."

I mean, honestly, even if some of western China got irradiated... I really think Xi would just bill Putin for it or demand even better prices on Russian oil. What else are they going to do? Limit their domestic use of fossil fuels? Sudden fuel price rises are how you get angry people on the streets yelling for your head, because it hits a lot of the poor and economically pressured hardest.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I still want my Clancy scenario of Xi succeeding Putin to happen, dammit

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

I really think Xi would just bill Putin for it or demand even better prices on Russian oil. What else are they going to do? Limit their domestic use of fossil fuels? Sudden fuel price rises are how you get angry people on the streets yelling for your head, because it hits a lot of the poor and economically pressured hardest.

What if I were to tell you wheat was like fuel for humans.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I think that in the game of global political maneuvering Xi is happier if Russia is stronger right now.

How much should the west worry about Xi’s happiness? That’s is way above my pay grade but evidence seems to suggest that the US and EU will need some significant provocation to commit more than just material to Ukraine even if they no longer think Putin is scary.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

My read is that Xi likes the idea of keeping the principle that it's cool and good to enforce your old territorial claims, for obvious reasons. He probably also enjoys cheap gas and a market for Chinese military products, however modest he might be about that. While the long-termism of China is in my view greatly exaggerated, it may also be a case of seeing no way that this does NOT put China in a better position relative to Russia.

Xi would also like to not loosen the restraints on nuclear weapons. This is possibly to some extent due to simple good old "nobody wins a nuclear war" reasoning, but probably also realpolitik: he would likely, at some point, like to do a certain military operation which would involve a dense fleet and troops landing in a confined area, such as a beach or other shore, which would be an excellent target for a nuclear weapon.

I imagine Modi has similar motivations, although I know India produces a lot of wheat and there might be some calculus on the advantage if the price of wheat goes up and is going to stay there due to nuclear contamination of eastern Ukraine.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

psydude posted:

Putin barely managed to contain a half assed coup attempt last weekend. What's he going to do when NATO completely destroys the Russian armed forces within 2 weeks?
This is incredibly delusional and you should think before you post.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Herman Merman posted:

This is incredibly delusional and you should think before you post.

Which part? Putin barely containing the coup, or NATO straight wrecking what's left of the Russian forces?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I think the bad part about a shooting war between Russia and NATO is it drastically increases the chances someone opens up a batch of canned sunshine.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Which part? Putin barely containing the coup, or NATO straight wrecking what's left of the Russian forces?

a shooting war between NATO and Russia would wreck the Russian conventional forces

with much of the population of the northern hemisphere as collateral damage

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeah...seems to me the only way NATO fires the first actual bullet at Russia and it doesn't go nuclear within hours is if the military straight revolts all the way to the top, right away.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The part ignoring that it doesn't take two weeks to turn a major city into glass that glows in the dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I think about this piece of fiction a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ji44TM_bNM