Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

jesus christ that phrasing

People were horrified by the Federation atrocities committed against the Zeon right to independence. Nine months had passed since the glorious revolution began. They were at a stalemate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I also rewatched CCA after finishing ZZ on Friday. ZZ does not add anything to a rewatch, but a rewatch helps because so much happens so fast in CCA, you miss some minor details (like Char being a pedophile.)

He's not though

Gyunei was lying to gently caress with Quess

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

"insecure cybernewtype tells a lie so damning it persists past the confines of the movie and embeds itself within the fandom"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

He's not though

Gyunei was lying to gently caress with Quess
char was 20 during 0079, lalah was a teenager

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

this is also true

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How many people alive by CCA even knew about Lalah though? On Zeon's side, I mean.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

im holding Char accountable

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I also rewatched CCA after finishing ZZ on Friday. ZZ does not add anything to a rewatch, but a rewatch helps because so much happens so fast in CCA, you miss some minor details (like Char being a pedophile.)

I do think ZZ helps you understand where the world is at for CCA. I think it makes it less abrupt when Char goes from Quattro to dropping asteroids. ZZ shows the Earth Federation staying basically the same while Karaba and the AEUG either get reabsorbed into it or stop fighting, which is good for them but if you're Char and have political goals that are incompatible with that it starts making more sense for you to try and unite Zeon under you when previously you were working with Bright and Amuro. It's not a perfect bridge, but it makes a lot more sense than going from the end of Zeta to CCA

Also I'm pretty sure Gyunei is an adult man who is telling a 14 year old "You shouldn't like this guy, he's a pedophile. You should like me instead," which carries some implications

Caros
May 14, 2008

Endorph posted:

Yes but she could have been a mother to him.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Endorph posted:

he was like four years older which is a good deal different than what gyunei was implying

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This is just reminding me of the character assassination of Haman Karn

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ninjewtsu posted:

"insecure cybernewtype tells a lie so damning it persists past the confines of the movie and embeds itself within the fandom"

It's still incredibly weird that this is such an enduring meme. Even within CCA itself with no other context, Char only barely stops short of turning to the camera and saying "I do not care about Quess in the slightest as a person and only see her as a convenient weapon".

Stairmaster posted:

he was like four years older which is a good deal different than what gyunei was implying

He was 20 and she was 17 in the OYW.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 2, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i don't get why 17 keeps being the chosen age of characters when 18 is basically the same but doesn't classify the character as underaged when they kiss older characters in the story

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kanos posted:

It's still incredibly weird that this is such an enduring meme. Even within CCA itself with no other context, Char only barely stops short of turning to the camera and saying "I do not care about Quess in the slightest as a person and only see her as a convenient weapon".

He was 20 and she was 17 in the OYW.

It is mostly because of Haman and Lalah, I think. Even though he didn't have a relationship with the former, it was vague enough in zeta that a long of people looked at the guy and were sort of skeeved out.

Add Lalah to that and it comes across a bit as 'char has a habit of grooming young girls'.

The fact that he was grooming them to act as mobile suit pilots in his grudge match vs amuro tends to just get lost in translation.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Haman Karn is up there with Ramba Ral for my favorite names in Gundam

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I can only assume they called it Gundam Seed Freedom because they realized it was one of the few series not named after the main Gundam and decided this needed to be fixed.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'm at the final five episodes of Zeta and I'm getting ready to finish my first watch of it ever this week and:

- lol at so many deaths, some of the ways people get murked in this poo poo can be both funny and awesome, Yazan dipping out of the way of a beam rifle blast at the last second to kill Jamaican was great, and seeing Ben Wooder get crushed by Amuro when he rams the entire gun of his Rick Dias into the turret lmao, no dramatic zoom in, no freeze frame, just the entire loving suit going through the wall of the ship in an instant, that ruled

- I had watched it subbed for a while, but with some of the late nights I've had with my infant, I went back and restarted with the dub and it's...pretty good? The main cast all have solid voices and the guys they have standing in for Brad Swaile and Michael Kopsa as Amuro and Char respectively do a solid job (though definitely not as good), and I think my only complaint with a lot of the other voices is that they're just kind of boring-sounding and indistinct. I know Kai and Hayato grew up and changed a lot from 0079 but lol they didn't even try to match their voices up with the previous dub, and it's super weird.

- the stuff with Rosamia was weird, I wasn't a fan of any of it, and the dub probably didn't help here

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Didn't the dub keep switching between Rosammy and Rosemary?

Regardless, she's inferior to Four.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Azubah posted:

Didn't the dub keep switching between Rosammy and Rosemary?

Regardless, she's inferior to Four.

It was dumb to kill Four only to drag a knockoff of her into the story. All of her plot should have been given to Four instead.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think the zeta dub has incredibly awkward voice direction and it makes the show harder to understand or seem dumber than it is

it's also occasionally really funny so i like it

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I say it pretty much every time this comes up but Kamille and Four had my favorite dub voices. Probably contributed to why they were also my favorite characters period.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Zeta dub was done by Blue Water, Ocean's non-union dub crew. That by itself doesn't necessarily mean an inherently weaker dub but it was certainly a step down.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
rosamia was weird because kamille didn't buy her bullshit for a second but she still managed to join his ghost harem attack.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

chrome line posted:

I do think ZZ helps you understand where the world is at for CCA. I think it makes it less abrupt when Char goes from Quattro to dropping asteroids. ZZ shows the Earth Federation staying basically the same while Karaba and the AEUG either get reabsorbed into it or stop fighting, which is good for them but if you're Char and have political goals that are incompatible with that it starts making more sense for you to try and unite Zeon under you when previously you were working with Bright and Amuro. It's not a perfect bridge, but it makes a lot more sense than going from the end of Zeta to CCA

Also I'm pretty sure Gyunei is an adult man who is telling a 14 year old "You shouldn't like this guy, he's a pedophile. You should like me instead," which carries some implications

To the first part: I forgot that I clocked Char talking about the Federation being useless, and I got to thinking about how they let the Dublin colony drop happen in ZZ, so that does inform CCA. As to the second part, I just assumed Gyunei was a teen, but my major point in thinking that was Quess calling out Char and everyone on the bridge giving her a look that, to me, said ”we all know that, but you’re not supposed to say it.”

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Zeta dub was done by Blue Water, Ocean's non-union dub crew. That by itself doesn't necessarily mean an inherently weaker dub but it was certainly a step down.

Yeah, it definitely showed in the supporting voices which just felt like Dudes Off the Street as opposed to Ocean having real actors. Forever bummed that the stars didn't align and the original cast couldn't return, but at least they came back for CCA

NikkolasKing posted:

I say it pretty much every time this comes up but Kamille and Four had my favorite dub voices. Probably contributed to why they were also my favorite characters period.

Kamille sounding age appropriate as an angry teenager was nice to hear instead of an old dude trying desperately to sound young

ninjewtsu posted:

it's also occasionally really funny so i like it

When Kamille confronts Reccoa in space, him screaming "THIS IS GARBAGE" got a hearty laugh out of me lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

rosamia was weird because kamille didn't buy her bullshit for a second but she still managed to join his ghost harem attack.

lmao

newtype participation medal

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It wasn't a harem. And Kamille never had any problems with her personally aside from having to kill her.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Good soup! posted:

Yeah, it definitely showed in the supporting voices which just felt like Dudes Off the Street as opposed to Ocean having real actors. Forever bummed that the stars didn't align and the original cast couldn't return, but at least they came back for CCA

So Wing was the first Ocean Group dub released and it was quite popular on Toonami, so naturally next up was 0079. After it didn't do so well and got pulled from Toonami they Ocean Group went with Blue Water to do Zeta and G Gundam since it would be cheaper to use the non-union studio. Thankfully they did get Ocean back for CCA and then again for SEED and 00.

Also, despite it never getting a dub, Turn A Gundam does actually have some voicework done by Ocean Group actors for a few video games. There's audio of Scott McNeil voicing Gym Gingham in Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Kamille didn't buy into the "you're my brother" poo poo, but he did feel sympathy for her and care about her insofar as he knew that she was an abused victim like Four who didn't deserve to be hosed with and used as a weapon by monsters.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kanos posted:

Kamille didn't buy into the "you're my brother" poo poo, but he did feel sympathy for her and care about her insofar as he knew that she was an abused victim like Four who didn't deserve to be hosed with and used as a weapon by monsters.

Yeah, literally nobody believe Rosamia was related to Camille for a second because the point was less her being a convincing infiltrator and more showing exactly how inhumane the Titans and their friends in cyber newtype research were to casually destroy someone's identity for the sake of some stupid scheme.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Good soup! posted:

CCA without Michael Kopsa would be no CCA of mine

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Arc Hammer posted:

So Wing was the first Ocean Group dub released and it was quite popular on Toonami, so naturally next up was 0079. After it didn't do so well and got pulled from Toonami they Ocean Group went with Blue Water to do Zeta and G Gundam since it would be cheaper to use the non-union studio. Thankfully they did get Ocean back for CCA and then again for SEED and 00.

Minor timeline thing, but CCA was dubbed and released before Zeta.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

fartknocker posted:

Minor timeline thing, but CCA was dubbed and released before Zeta.

Huh, my bad. I thought that CCA had been dubbed after 2001. That's the year for 0079 and G Gundam's dubs.

More power to the Extremely wicked Teetahns.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Arc Hammer posted:

Huh, my bad. I thought that CCA had been dubbed after 2001. That's the year for 0079 and G Gundam's dubs.

More power to the Extremely wicked Teetahns.

I don’t know when exactly they did the dub, but CCA came out on DVD in August 2002, Zeta was November 2004 after a year or so of delays (Around the same time as F91).

If you wanna get technical, IIRC the MSG movie dubs were the first thing to come out in 1998, followed by 0080 and 0083 in 1999, and then came Wing, which became the first show to get a TV broadcast in the West. MSG TV and 08th were simultaneously aired in 2001, G was a year later 2002 (Around the same time as CCA).

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Hellioning posted:

I can only assume they called it Gundam Seed Freedom because they realized it was one of the few series not named after the main Gundam and decided this needed to be fixed.

Despite how many other shows share their title with a titular Gundam (including a previous CE one!) for someone reason when I saw the title I couldn't shake the feeling that this is like calling something Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam

I think because of CE's relatively unique status as the Gundam universe where 'Gundam' carries absolutely no meaning at all and it being a word unknown to all but like a single digit number of people

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah Animaze had the dubbing gigs for the OVAs and I think the movies as well? Ocean got the first TV spot though with Wing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Caros posted:

It is mostly because of Haman and Lalah, I think. Even though he didn't have a relationship with the former, it was vague enough in zeta that a long of people looked at the guy and were sort of skeeved out.

Add Lalah to that and it comes across a bit as 'char has a habit of grooming young girls'.

The fact that he was grooming them to act as mobile suit pilots in his grudge match vs amuro tends to just get lost in translation.

If memory serves, Yas's sketches for Haman actually had her be a bit older than in the show proper, which puts a different spin on her and Char than you get from CDA.

Initially, she was supposed to be 24 in Zeta, so she'd be 17 when Char arrived at Axis.

The same same age as Lalah.

And she's a strong newtype, like Lalah.

And Char was lonely, without purpose, and a big shot war hero who didn't want power, right next to a seventeen year old thrust into a position of authority everyone around her wanted to usurp.

It all holds together into a pretty clear narrative, and one that fits with Char's other disastrous decisions during Zeta in his (mostly-failed) attempts to be a better person.

However, Zeta had her be 20 when first mentioned, so the whole thing was given a much skeevier feeling, which meant CDA had to pivot in a completely different direction to avoid Char being a different kind of total scumbag than he is in most other places.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And then the MSG movie dubs got buried by Bandai, probably because they say "Gun-drat" and I don't think they wanted a dub out there that consistently mispronounces the name of the show.

I still say they should do a redub of the movies with the new NYAV cast.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It's called Gundam SEED Freedom because once it releases we will be free from animated Cosmic Era forever. :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

man you guys are being really negative. I bet the Seed movie will be fun. And we'll get some cool new Suits from it. I don't have high hopes for Requiem for Vengeance but worst case scenarios is it's just more bad Igloo, which we have lived through before.