Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I really hope the game's community isn't full of wannabe vetbro "infidel" types or whatever.

What does your heart tell you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

orange juche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJGPUZVzm9Q

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Y'all need to play Dave the Diver for real if you're not already.
It's the chillest dumb-fun little game, and I'm surprised at how deep (actually no pun intended) it really is content-wise, and I'm about 9 hours in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p85VHMpE0to

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Y'all need to play Dave the Diver for real if you're not already.
It's the chillest dumb-fun little game, and I'm surprised at how deep (actually no pun intended) it really is content-wise, and I'm about 9 hours in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p85VHMpE0to

Crab Dad did these devs pay you a likeness fee?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1604270/Broken_Arrow/

This looks pretty cool and will hopefully provide a deep, satisfying scratch to that World in Conflict itch.

Oh nice, world in conflict was excellent, was bummed it didn’t become a series. I liked the attention to detail like how Norwegian rangers are only in one mission but speak Norwegian.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh nice, world in conflict was excellent, was bummed it didn’t become a series. I liked the attention to detail like how Norwegian rangers are only in one mission but speak Norwegian.

Massive was one of the best RTS studios but, once they got purchased by Ubisoft, they became a sweatshop to support other studios or make generic third person shooters.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I say it every time it's mentioned and I'll say it again - if you haven't played it, get world in conflict. It's fantastic.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I say it every time it's mentioned and I'll say it again - if you haven't played it, get world in conflict. It's fantastic.

It also had one of the best trailers

https://youtu.be/w4m0m4T2rlw

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nick Soapdish posted:

That looks really good for 2007, wow.

Best console trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0VOM7e5Hug

Best individual game trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj74k4wu3-U

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0mAR0BWVA0

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

For world in conflict: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gygtgETcikE

The trailer shows DC is well crafted but also DC is never nuked in the game so they spent all this time and money making a great cutscene to be unused. Bummer.

I really liked the detail that went into the Seattle levels like panning the skyline and seeing paratroopers coming down on landmarks or the Kingdome being a battle spot.

Another great scene that did make the final game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnV5K6rULm0

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 3, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Welp looks like I'm doing another playthrough

I could never quite finish the final level on the hardest difficulty

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I could never quite finish the final level on the hardest difficulty

Yeah the final mission gets a bit ridiculous, great game but one too many levels end with just waves of enemies marching into pre-marked artillery zones past the flaming wreckage of their comrades. Kinda makes sense a few times but not when it’s human wave attacks from the Oregon National Guard.

Could also have used some unit variety between NATO & Warsaw, wasn’t it just palette swaps?

Anyway the Statue of Liberty level was my favorite.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

:same:

While I've appreciated the sudden glut of cold war rts games we've gotten over the last ten years, nothing else has come close to how good WiC was.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Massive Entertainment was an interesting company. I think these days they've been assimilated into the larger Ubisoft hivemind and are working on some bland franchise title or other, but they started out doing some very cool RTS stuff. World in Conflict of course, but I think my favorite RTS of theirs was Ground Control which was an obscure early 00's title that barely anyone remembers now. Felt like they could have gone to Battletech levels of nerdiness with the lore on that one but the whole series ground to a halt after two games.

e:

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 3, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ground Control kicked so much rear end. The little details were captivating to me at the time. Like the tanks would eject their empty shells from a hatch on the side of the turret, the artillery rounds were rocket assisted and the motor would detach from the round in flight once it burned out.

For some reason I loved zooming way in to watch stuff like that. It was 3d done right.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Arrath posted:

Ground Control kicked so much rear end. The little details were captivating to me at the time. Like the tanks would eject their empty shells from a hatch on the side of the turret, the artillery rounds were rocket assisted and the motor would detach from the round in flight once it burned out.

For some reason I loved zooming way in to watch stuff like that. It was 3d done right.

The first Dawn of War did stuff like this with kill animations. Might’ve only been your commander, but they had specific animations vs just about every other unit in the game. The Force Commander burying his demon hammer in the head of a bloodthirster was peak :black101: for me in 2006.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Arrath posted:

Ground Control was one of the few games of that era that required you to micro your forces since it didn't have base management. What you had at the start of the mission was most of the forces you would get in a map.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Icon Of Sin posted:

The first Dawn of War did stuff like this with kill animations. Might’ve only been your commander, but they had specific animations vs just about every other unit in the game. The Force Commander burying his demon hammer in the head of a bloodthirster was peak :black101: for me in 2006.

Walking past a guy playing Dark Crusade at the CQ desk was my first exposure to 40k. I stayed to watch for an hour before getting it for myself. It was my favorite RTS until the third one turned it into a MOBA.

e: also they were called sync kills and most units had them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBGw7qeaUl8

Punished Ape fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 3, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Bitbattle Remastered is all the BF type gameplay I used to like and no extra bullshit and is smooth as silk even with 200+ people playing.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Punished Ape posted:

Walking past a guy playing Dark Crusade at the CQ desk was my first exposure to 40k. I stayed to watch for an hour before getting it for myself. It was my favorite RTS until the third one turned it into a MOBA.

e: also they were called sync kills and most units had them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBGw7qeaUl8

That was such a great game, seven unique factions oozing with character and the single player campaign was a ton of fun. Multiplayer was so good, especially after I figured out Orks were my boyz & swarming opponents was a valid strategy. It was funny when the next expansion came out with Dark Eldar & Sisters of Battle I wondered why no one seemed to be using those factions & was notified that it was a bad expansion.

Probably only second to Myth 2 in online RTS fun, I’m sure there were lots of other greats too.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That was such a great game, seven unique factions oozing with character and the single player campaign was a ton of fun. Multiplayer was so good, especially after I figured out Orks were my boyz & swarming opponents was a valid strategy. It was funny when the next expansion came out with Dark Eldar & Sisters of Battle I wondered why no one seemed to be using those factions & was notified that it was a bad expansion.

Probably only second to Myth 2 in online RTS fun, I’m sure there were lots of other greats too.

I remember the first time I saw a Bloodthirster spawn, I thought I had really murdered something good for the game to make such a blood-fountain…then the demon came walking out of the fountain and started laying absolute waste to whatever squads I had nearby.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Bitbattle Remastered is all the BF type gameplay I used to like and no extra bullshit and is smooth as silk even with 200+ people playing.

It’s crazy how good it is.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

It’s crazy how good it is.

I really also like how the semi-destructable terrain changes things. Oh, there's some snipers up on that roof? Well, I guess I could try to get around behind them and chuck grenades.

Or I can just RPG-7 the corner he's standing on blow them the gently caress up

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i just moved but yeah i need to battle bit more once im unpacked

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

I remember the first time I saw a Bloodthirster spawn, I thought I had really murdered something good for the game to make such a blood-fountain…then the demon came walking out of the fountain and started laying absolute waste to whatever squads I had nearby.

Oh yeah there was so much great detail in units. I liked how on skirmish maps as soon as you spotted the enemy your guys would say who they were and something interesting, like Orks would comment how it’s just the puny Eldar so can send half the Boyz home.

Also liked how easy it was to change your unit paint schemes, made it feel more customized. Gosh darn it I’m still grumpy they didn’t refine & improve the formula for the sequels.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah there was so much great detail in units. I liked how on skirmish maps as soon as you spotted the enemy your guys would say who they were and something interesting, like Orks would comment how it’s just the puny Eldar so can send half the Boyz home.

Also liked how easy it was to change your unit paint schemes, made it feel more customized. Gosh darn it I’m still grumpy they didn’t refine & improve the formula for the sequels.

Oh god, orks vs chaos:

“DEM BEAKYBOIZ IS ‘ERE!”

cracked me up every time :laffo:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I still maintain (and have said before) that Dawn of War 2 went the exact wrong direction. Small scale combat with a few squads and maybe a dreadnaught? What the absolute gently caress, I want battalions of IG blasting away into Ork hordes, supported by batteries of tanks and artillery.

But yeah, the attention to detail in all the unit on unit melee combat and sync kills in DoW 1 was pretty amazing.

SlowBloke posted:

Ground Control was one of the few games of that era that required you to micro your forces since it didn't have base management. What you had at the start of the mission was most of the forces you would get in a map.

It's funny, I came from many many hours of C&C and AoE so I was leery about the no base building or unit production aspect of Ground Control. I actually hated all the "commando" missions in the C&C games, but man. GC really clicked and did it right. The unit balance and mission design was on point.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 4, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I never played GC because I hated all the non-base-building missions in C&C. I guess I missed out

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Power Wash Simulator has a DLC set in Bikini Bottom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trRothNrcCQ

https://kotaku.com/powerwash-simulator-xbox-game-pass-dlc-final-fantasy-1850604099

And that's nowhere near as insane as the upcoming one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akVqZ6FSOv0

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

orange juche posted:

So after playing a few rounds, I've been pleasantly surprised that everyone I've played with has been pretty cool and friendly. The environment design is pretty great, too.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

GD_American posted:

And that's nowhere near as insane as the upcoming one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akVqZ6FSOv0

I almost grabbed the SpongeBob DLC because I'd probably shell out cash for almost any extra content in that dumb little sim game, but Dave the Diver came along and has had me all set for my gaming needs since.

If, however, the 40k DLC comes along and lets me power-wash a loving titan, you best believe I'll drop everything I'm doing and smash that buy button.

I really hope they go to the dimension-limits for their world/map generation engine-wise for this DLC.

Optional lol: give me a Death Guard dreadnought to clean a) for the ultimate humiliation or, b) have it rust-over again immediately after cleaning a panel

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Powerwash simulator is a psyop by consumerist titans to make you think you can power wash everything.

They Sell you a fun little game ($). Then you grow up, buy a power washer ($$$), and immediately start breaking things that you have to spend money to replace. ($$$$$)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

Powerwash simulator is a psyop by consumerist titans to make you think you can power wash everything.

They Sell you a fun little game ($). Then you grow up, buy a power washer ($$$), and immediately start breaking things that you have to spend money to replace. ($$$$$)

We rent pressure washers, and when explaining to customers that once they go past the minimum time frame they can keep it until the next day cause they're paying for a whole day regardless.

I used to say "Yea, so might as well pressure wash everything at that point. Deck, driveway, dog..." in a jovial and joking manner.

The one person actually tried to pressure wash their dog and was all "Yea, he wouldn't sit still!"

Dog wasn't injured, he aint no dummy and bailed as soon as the idiot shot 2700psi water at him. But I stopped using that line at that point.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
My early 20s nephew (married my niece) and his brother are starting a pressure washer business. I've been helping them out with LLC paperwork, business advice, etc. I decided to throw them a bone and pay them to do my (not big) driveway and (not big) back patio.

They took all day. They left the dirt all over my front and back doors. And when I went to check on them, they were sloshing around in waterlogged jeans and squishing leather boots.

Think I should buy them the game.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

yeah every time i hear someone bought a pressure washer the next story i hear is that they walked up and down the street offering to clean everyones poo poo

i wanna rent one and do my moms house just to have fun for a day or two tbh

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TikTok is telling everyone they stand to make $2000 a day doing pressure washing and there’s been kind of an explosion of people sucking rear end at gig work

Hustle/grindset/etc.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

oh no i have something i enjoy

better monetize it or else it's a worthless experience and im wasting my time

oh noooo

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

TikTok is telling everyone they stand to make $2000 a day doing pressure washing and there’s been kind of an explosion of people sucking rear end at gig work

Hustle/grindset/etc.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that TikTok failed to mention that you are only making that kind of money if you have connections to get you into commercial work, and you have a machine capable of doing a massive amount of said work every day, like a Hotsy or similar machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah I bought a Ryobi pressure washer when the pandemic hit and have used it a handful of times.

Like it's fun at first but after ten minutes, it's just another chore and I'll be damned if I wanna do it anymore.

Still need to clean my vinyl siding with it but :effort: