Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

tango alpha delta posted:

Was going to buy a Switch but a Steamdeck is almost the same price right now as a Switch and two first party Nintendo games.

They aren't even in the same league, Deck is like Switch 5.0. My Switch collected dust for a while then I gave it to my sister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah as in it weighs five times a switch

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

And it's 10 times as Good

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

nah

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The switch lives and dies by how much you care about Nintendo IPs. If you don’t there isn’t much a reason for it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's called a switch because you switch it off and buy a deck

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

RBA Starblade posted:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Ones a party machine with two controllers and a stand. Tons of indies and a great selection of exclusives, battery life often hits 4-5 hours without needing to plug in. Also slim and easy to bring on a trip. It has a dope OLED option. It's aging weak 6 year old guts are limiting it's future from a developer standpoint quite fast and it's online is a joke.

The other is a lil PC with a library of stuff you already own but its compatibility is complicated.
Emulation powerhouse! Online? Unless it needs some third party launcher or some poo poo it's a breeze. It's os is constantly getting improved with new features. See that new/old game? There is a good chance this can play it like a pro and it's developer didn't even plan on that. Rules so dang hard. Wanna stream your own game from your own more powerful computer? Good news!
Battery life? Mileage will vary.
Multiplayer? You're gonna need a stand and more controllers, heck bring a battery pack, gently caress it bring a dock too. Gonna need a separate backpack.

Different leagues and mindsets. Complaints about joycon drift aside, I love them and on a trip joycons and a built in stand make the switch super comfy.

I wanna see steamdeck 2.0 have something similar. Not to mention portable multiplayer on one system has saved a lot of layovers and family reunions.

I probably forgot more issues with the switch. But the point I wanted to mention is systems be not just different tiers but mindsets.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A switch and a gaming PC is the one true way. Ergo, a switch and a deck is perfect

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I'd kill for both to make whatever is next even more portable.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I was unsure whether to buy a switch or a deck but I settled on the Deck because of the small chance it would cause me to go through my immense Steam backlog. Also because new games will probably be much cheaper most of the time.

To be fair the reason I considered buying a Switch was that it would give me access to games the Deck didn't, whereas I can already play Steam games on my PC (I'm aware there are probably ways around that, but not ones I'm really interested in right now).

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

A switch and a gaming PC is the one true way. Ergo, a switch and a deck is perfect

Since Sony's putting all their exclusives on PC you miss out on what? Mobile games?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The deck wishes it had a screen, and games, as good as the perfect console: The Nintendo Switch OLED.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The deck wishes it had a screen, and games, as good as the perfect console: The Sony Playstation Vita

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

The switch lives and dies by how much you care about Nintendo IPs. If you don’t there isn’t much a reason for it
Occasionally there's a non-first-party Switch exclusives--the Front Mission remake that recently hit Steam is an example--or stuff that's EGS exclusive on PC but also available on Switch and perhaps easier to "deal with" there.

Bremen posted:

Also because new games will probably be much cheaper most of the time.
If you stock up on the $50 for $40 eShop cards when Costco has them on sale you can get a 20% discount for new Switch titles that way. New releases on Steam tend to max out at 17% discount on official keysites unless you have 12-months Humble Choice or GMG XP (maybe).

I'm at the point where I buy stuff on Steam "by default" now unless I know it's something my kids would play (the Switch is more of a family machine at this point). I'm probably 50/50 at the moment on actual Switch/Deck usage.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the steam dreck

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The aristocrats!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bremen posted:

I was unsure whether to buy a switch or a deck but I settled on the Deck because of the small chance it would cause me to go through my immense Steam backlog.

The dream is real. I've played like ten games that have been gathering dust for years because of the Deck.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
A lot of the indies that I don’t care about having mods for, like hollow knight, land on the switch for like 40% of what they are on PC. So I love it for that. But like, “plays PC games” is what the deck is designed to do so if you don’t already have a switch or want to play zeldar, I don’t know why you would buy a switch.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Lol playing Dave on my PC and it just rebooted in the middle of a run to install a loving windows update.

I may just install Linux on this desktop in a total rage.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

tuyop posted:

A lot of the indies that I don’t care about having mods for, like hollow knight, land on the switch for like 40% of what they are on PC. So I love it for that. But like, “plays PC games” is what the deck is designed to do so if you don’t already have a switch or want to play zeldar, I don’t know why you would buy a switch.

Dude you can get games for so much cheaper on steam if you are even just a tiny bit patient than on the switch.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeah dunno what that poster is on about. you can also use key sites on steam

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!
Haven't seen anyone mention Brotato in the last few pages. A better version of vampire survivors imo. Game is 5 bucks at full price and currently on sale. There are 32 unique characters that all encourage different styles of gameplay. Waves are no more than 2 minutes long so you're never far from a natural stopping point. I had over 70 hours in early access just beating it with every character on the hardest difficulty. Game just came out of early access and has 5 new characters so I'm back to it for a little bit. Anyone looking for a cheap, deck friendly, addictive, easy to pick up game should check it out.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

yeah dunno what that poster is on about. you can also use key sites on steam

Like the Historical Low for Hollow Knight was 4,39 on GoG and 5,99 on Steam for instance, compared to Switch lowest 7,49 and current insane price of 14,99

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Like the Historical Low for Hollow Knight was 4,39 on GoG and 5,99 on Steam for instance, compared to Switch lowest 7,49 and current insane price of 14,99

Insane as it is worth 50 I agree.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeah

50 cents

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

CharlestheHammer posted:

*cough* yuzu *cough*

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Hopper posted:

Picked up Dave, too. It is very chill and charming. I refuse to use electric harpoons though, their gimmick is a super rapid stick wobble and I don't want to kill my control stick.

One of the downloadable controller templates from the community turns the back paddles into macros for the joystick stuff like this electric harpoon and the poison harpoon specifically.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
So just to spice things up, I moved my gaming PC next to my TV and use Deck docked for internet browsing and youtube watching and any Desk Based Deck gaming.

KDE Plasma is so good!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

CharlestheHammer posted:

I used to disagree with this, when I didn't have a gaming PC that was younger than 10 years old. "It's fine for 3rd party stuff. The Switch is all I'll need..." because I didn't want FOMO over all of this awesome PC stuff I was missing (most of which DID come to the Switch).

Then I get a Steam Deck last October and I barely played with Switch after that, save for when Goldeneye came out.

But then I just downloaded it and PD64 through an emulator and ran amazing versions of them on the Deck. That, plus enjoying super cheap games once again and jfc, I am never again leaving the Steam ecosystem. :swoon:

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

RBA Starblade posted:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The deck wishes it had a screen, and games, as good as the perfect console: The Nintendo Switch OLED.

The Deck has all of the Switch games. :confused:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Switch emulation isn’t good enough on the deck to make that claim sincerely, no matter how much you love your deck.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

Switch emulation isn’t good enough on the deck to make that claim sincerely, no matter how much you love your deck.

Been playing TOTK on it pretty passably

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
From what I’ve seen for most games it plays about as well on the switch.

Passable to not great

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I won't be able to play WarioWare: Move It! on my Deck, so for that reason alone the Switch must stay.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I won't be able to play WarioWare: Move It! on my Deck, so for that reason alone the Switch must stay.

This but Splatoon 3

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

What physical feature needs to come back for the next gen of handhelds
I vote Gameboy SP clamshell
I love a portable I can fold up and protect it's poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

How's Warioware Twisted