Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Xaris posted:

i would absolutely love to be this guy

working sucks, college kicks rear end

When I was in college there was a Polish guy who'd been there for 8 years. Rumor had it he was on some Polish academic scholarship that would pay him as long as it took. He was still there when I graduated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

How much of the money people are spending on services is childcare and healthcare?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Justin Tyme posted:

Dang 5 quotes in a row and it's not to call me a dingus, my personal posting economy is a bull market!

Lol, fukkin dingus

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Boy the fascists arr losing their minds over the current French riots

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

sullat posted:

When I was in college there was a Polish guy who'd been there for 8 years. Rumor had it he was on some Polish academic scholarship that would pay him as long as it took. He was still there when I graduated.
hell yeah

that is livin' the dream

there's a lot of bullshit about academia but if i could afford food+rent+some treats doing it, i absolutely would have been an academia bum for my whole life.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 05:35 on Jul 3, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Glumwheels posted:

I flew to Greece through Paris and we’re taking a week o go to Italy.

nice, enjoy. you picked the last "good" (relative) year to do it. things are looking mighty catabolic decline in the not so distant future. we're going to go back to europe next spring to check out some places we couldn't before its too late

i would recommend if any goon has a particular bucket list and things they always wanted to check out, they should plan to do so soon while the planes are still flying, the trains are mostly still running, and food is available before the on-going megadrought, mega-heatwaves, and declining conditions gets worse

Xaris has issued a correction as of 05:41 on Jul 3, 2023

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Xaris posted:

i would absolutely love to be this guy

working sucks, college kicks rear end

Yeah, I'm not sure I've ever been more jealous of someone. Living the dream.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Xaris posted:

nice, enjoy. you picked the last "good" (relative) year to do it. things are looking mighty catabolic decline in the not so distant future. we're going to go back to europe next spring to check out some places we couldn't before its too late

i would recommend if any goon has a particular bucket list and things they always wanted to check out, they should plan to do so soon while the planes are still flying, the trains are mostly still running, and food is available before the on-going megadrought, mega-heatwaves, and declining conditions gets worse

We got a few more years before that happens I think

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Glumwheels posted:

We got a few more years before that happens I think

yeah probably a couple year window, but sooner the better as who knows what 2026 is gunna look like

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Xaris posted:

yeah probably a couple year window, but sooner the better as who knows what 2026 is gunna look like

I'll guess: Worse than 2025 but better than 2027

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/business/status/1675734724851953664?s=20

lol

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Is this just a paltry face saving excuse for nobody wanting to buy these things or something

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

lol

to save you reading:

apple originally projected 1,000,000 for the first year.
apple/manufacturer sources are now saying <400,000
parts suppliers are saying 130-150k.

also plans for a discount version have been shelved

they're blaming it on manufacturing costs/difficulties for the displays. but i bet someone high up took one look at the public reception and was like "shitcan this. no more money for the goggles"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mola Yam posted:

apple originally projected 1,000,000 for the first year.
apple/manufacturer sources are now saying <400,000
parts suppliers are saying 130-150k.

also plans for a discount version have been shelved

they're blaming it on manufacturing costs/difficulties for the displays. but i bet someone high up took one look at the public reception and was like "shitcan this. no more money for the goggles"

lol no way they're selling 1m of those $3500 ski goggles

but there's probably enough steve jobs disney-style superfans and overpaid upper-class computer molesters to maybe sell 150k-400k total before canning it.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Tech elites want nothing in this world more than they want ubiquitous adoption of a thing that owns your eyeballs even more than a phone. They want the phone glued to your face for every waking second so badly, and yet I really don't think most people are actually all too keen on something like that.

Also lol my main day job client went to a conference and a guy did some AI/LLM prestidigitation for him and now he's giving that guy's company >$150k for a fairly vague and handwavey outcome. This client, who I love dearly and is a great person, is also getting up there in years, and has really bought into all the tech evangelist hype from the last grip of years. It's so hard to try and talk to him about everything in the tech world being a grift.

He almost got roped into turning a bunch of his work into NFTs and making his (often elderly, often tech illiterate) client base engage with his output primarily via that avenue, but that fortunately died before it could go anywhere. The problem is that he made a decent chunk (like $80k or something) off of crypto he bought on a whim in its early days, and that broke something in his sensor that makes him buy into every scammy tech bubble. 😮‍💨

This poo poo really does only persist as a means of separating easily wowed CEOs from large sums of money quickly.

SlimGoodbody has issued a correction as of 07:21 on Jul 3, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There is no loving way "complex manufacturing" is the real reason they're cutting production on the Apple Glass

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Lobe posted:

Is this just a paltry face saving excuse for nobody wanting to buy these things or something

Pretty much. Based on that article Apple is claiming manufacturers can't handle the amazing complexity of their miracle device so they have to scale everything back.

The assertion by apple is that over the next 18 months the manufacturers are going to suck so much they simply can only produce a small number to sell. Even after an unknown time, probably years, of prototyping and preparation before the debut where the manufacturers had the product and plenty of time to figure out how long it would take to make each unit. This is also in China which is the most efficient manufacturing in the world that does stuff lightning fast compared to the US and can online new capacity in a matter of weeks when it would take the US months or years.

So In my opinion it's far more likely the $3,500 dogshit product nobody asked for that had a massive flop of a debut just had no pre-orders so they are cutting forecasts and blaming it on the manufacturers.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Oh no we can't find buyers for this stupid bullshit

I mean suppliers. Did I say buyers? Everyone loves it, but we can't sell it to you, sorry.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Rectal Death Adept posted:

So In my opinion it's far more likely the $3,500 dogshit product nobody asked for that had a massive flop of a debut just had no pre-orders so they are cutting forecasts and blaming it on the manufacturers.

lol i completely forgot they even did pre-orders for that thing. yeah they've got the numbers to easily make the call to basically shut it down while saving face by not being the impeccable superior apple's fault and having to own up to it

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i don't like that companies just flat lie about everything

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Stereotype posted:

i don't like that companies just flat lie about everything

Wrongthink detected, please update your opinions based on the latest feed being streamed to your apple glass.

*15 second unskippable ad*
"I love how truthful companies are about everything!"

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I think there's definitely a market for something that owns more of your eyeballs. people love looking at the phone but it takes up your hand and sometimes you drop it. there's room for enhancement but the solution is not some bulky thing you strap on your head, it's gotta be more seamless and easier. so that basically leaves horrific cyber dystopia options or some incredible breakthrough technology where you can have a tiny thing on your shoulder that projects images in front of your eyes or miraculous smart contact lenses or something. in my opinion people do want next internet device beyond smartphone, and therefore a multi-billion dollar market yearns to create and sell it, but the tech simply doesn't exist and may never be developed.

e: thank u for coming to my tedx talk

palindrome has issued a correction as of 08:18 on Jul 3, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

palindrome posted:

I think there's definitely a market for something that owns more of your eyeballs. people love looking at the phone but it takes up your hand and sometimes you drop it. there's room for enhancement but the solution is not some bulky thing you strap on your head, it's gotta be more seamless and easier. so that basically leaves horrific cyber dystopia options or some incredible breakthrough technology where you can have a tiny thing on your shoulder that projects images in front of your eyes or miraculous smart contact lenses or something. in my opinion people do want next internet device beyond smartphone, and therefore a multi-billion dollar market yearns to create and sell it, but the tech simply doesn't exist and may never be developed.

i had a post typed similar to this and ended up not bothering to finish it but yeah. people are absolutely a-ok, more than a-okay even, having their eyes glued to their screen, but also there's practical limitations for alternatives wearing something uncomfortable + looks dorky like glassholes or apple ski-goggles that also require external power etc.

if someone created contact lenses that were screens/augmented vr and lasted for awhile, those would sell like hot cakes. it would quite literally be magic and will not ever happen so we don't have to worry about it, but yeah i wouldn't say consumers aren't interested in more immersive hands-free ways to occupy their time. more that it just can't happen

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

yeah, not to sound too sci-fi but imagine looking someone in the face, and realize that you're both doomscrolling the internet at the same time. holding a phone is too distracting and its a visual cue that people aren't engaged. if tech can eliminate that crutch and make it possible to undetectably zone out while driving, sitting in a work meeting, eating, talking with your family, it will be a huge hit. and more importantly create a great deal of value for the market!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

palindrome posted:

what if you strapped it to the wall and made the screen really big so you could sit on the couch and watch it. you could have some portable buttons to interact with it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

palindrome posted:

if tech can eliminate that crutch and make it possible to undetectably zone out while ... sitting in a work meeting, ... talking with your family, it will be a huge hit. and more importantly create a great deal of value for the market!

someone mod Zoom to make it look like you're always looking at the camera even when you're actually looking off to the side posting

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Stereotype posted:

what if you strapped it to the wall and made the screen really big so you could sit on the couch and watch it. you could have some portable buttons to interact with it
no one wants to have their embarrassing screen habits made public lol

also you can't take the wall with you

i dont think this analogy works like it does for self driving cars:trains

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

recession is cancelled. air travel is back to normal!

https://s2.q4cdn.com/181345880/files/doc_presentations/2023/06/27/Delta-Beyond-2023-Investor-Day-vF-6-26-23.pdf

people's wealth remains high!

infinite growth from millennials.

whale economy ftw

AI AI AI AI AI!

=

PREMIUM CONSUMER REMAINS HEALTHY will be playing in my dreams tonight

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

gradenko_2000 posted:

someone mod Zoom to make it look like you're always looking at the camera even when you're actually looking off to the side posting
NVIDIA has you covered
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR-vP_7XFHE

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
lol beaten on the eye contact nvidia thing

irl it alternates between working like poo poo and being unnerving as hell

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Vox Nihili posted:

Oh no we can't find buyers for this stupid bullshit

I mean suppliers. Did I say buyers? Everyone loves it, but we can't sell it to you, sorry.

how many times are we in the "this is the year of VR" again

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

net work error posted:

I still use RSS for news sites and stuff what the heck!

Should there be a CSPAM RSS feed link thread?

yes please

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Vox Nihili posted:

PREMIUM CONSUMER REMAINS HEALTHY will be playing in my dreams tonight

sweet dreams PREMIUM CONSUMER

how can there be a recession when the P R E M I U M C O N S U M E R R E M A I N S H E A L T H Y

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
that reminds me, I started a long rear end post about the big shift toward the paypig Whale Economy as the imperial core eats itself, but i never finished it. delta stuff is some good additions and maybe ill finish it tomorrow

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

plutonomy ftw

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i prefer to think of it as “degrowth”

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
arguably america has always been a plutonomy, that's not new. we've heading far beyond the event horizon of the planar coordinates that once defined plutonomy into something worse. where the system once needed the labor of the masses to generate wealth, wide swaths of masses and much labor itself is now irrelevant to generating wealth as the transition to fully fictious finance capital economy has subsumed it. the transition to a service economy in the 80s-90s was a preceding component, but even now the service economy is largely negligible for profit seeking and much less labor is needed to cater to a small segment of the whales from whom the profit now flows

what comes next after wide swaths of the masses are deemed useless for profit is ???????????

Xaris has issued a correction as of 10:18 on Jul 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Xaris posted:

arguably america has always been a plutonomy, that's not new. we've heading far beyond the event horizon of the planar coordinates that once defined plutonomy into something worse. where the system once needed the labor of the masses to generate wealth, wide swaths of masses and much labor itself is now irrelevant to generating wealth as the transition to fully fictious finance capital has subsumed it. the transition to a service economy in the 80s-90s was a preceding component, but even now the service economy is largely negligible for profit seeking because much less labor is needed to cater to a small segment of the whales from whom the profit now flows

what comes next after wide swaths of the masses are deemed useless for profit is ???????????

isn’t the usual answer neo-feudalism, except with rome supplanted by AI god and the pope being peter thiel