Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

History Comes Inside! posted:

Switch emulation isn’t good enough on the deck to make that claim sincerely, no matter how much you love your deck.

Everything I've run, which admittedly isn't much, has run well or just hitchy enough to be playable. Currently going through Pikmin 1 and Link's Awakening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Switch emulation isn’t good enough on the deck to make that claim sincerely, no matter how much you love your deck.

It runs totk basically as well if not better than the switch

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
mario party

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Vic posted:

mario party

Yeah but lemon party is better

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

e.pilot posted:

People said the same thing about botw on the deck and even with the shaders it was not as good as the switch.

Unless something major has changed

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Has anyone played Ender Lillies?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Annath posted:

Has anyone played Ender Lillies?
I have, but not on the Deck.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

If you like wrestling games AEW Fight Forever runs well on the deck, and plays a bit like the N64 wrestling games. Has a very barebones caw though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I won't be able to play WarioWare: Move It! on my Deck, so for that reason alone the Switch must stay.

I'm pretty sure you can pair joy cons to a Steam Deck.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

the steam deck is pretty good, but it can't play hopkin's alphabet adventure, which is why my vtech leap frog is still an essential console

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Upsidads posted:

What physical feature needs to come back for the next gen of handhelds
I vote Gameboy SP clamshell
I love a portable I can fold up and protect it's poo poo

Non-detachable controllers

The Switch Lite feels way more solid than the original or OLED Switches because the Lite is all in one.

As someone who plays my Switch exclusively in handheld mode I dislike how the Joycon gradually get wobbly over time because of how they attach to the system, though my OLED seems to be a bit better than my launch edition Switch was.

Clamshell design is nice for portability/protection but seems to always lead to hinges being the weak points on a system.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 3, 2023

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Parker Lewis posted:

Clamshell design is nice for portability/protection but seems to always lead to hinges being the weak points on a system.

I know but like what if they were invincible

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

e.pilot posted:

This was not the case for me last time I compared the two. The switch version runs noticeably smoother.

Also, is there a controller with a button layout similar to the deck (with trackpads etc) or do I need to buy another deck to play on my tv? 💩

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Steam Controller, if you can find one, has trackpads instead of analog sticks IIRC, but your best bet is probably a Dualshock 4 or Dualsense controller, TBH. There's only one trackpad and it's kinda awkward to use, being in the center of the controller, but it does technically have all the features of the Deck's controller except the back paddle buttons. The Dualsense even has haptic feedback IIRC.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I got a Dualsense for my PC after I got the Deck, the big difference is that a lot of games don't have an option to change prompts so you'll be shown ABXY instead of the Playstation shapes and have to remember what button it is. But the way the joysticks are arranged on the Xbox controller is just loving weird and I can't imagine using that thing.

I have also never used one so maybe it just looks stranger than it is, but whatever. The haptic feedback on the Dualsense doesn't work on PC, or at least not with Steam. I have never used the touchpad.

The bigger problem is no back buttons, I know there are controllers that have those.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I don't think there are any controllers (besides the Deck itself) at the moment that will have back buttons that are recognized as such by Steam Input and thus assignable to any input you want. Maybe the XBox Elite controller? I've heard there are build quality issues with those, though. The 8Bitdo Pro 2 I use has two back buttons, but you have to map them using 8Bitdo's proprietary software and they can only be mapped to other controller buttons. It's a great controller though.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Yeah, the 8bitdo is really frustrating because it has four different modes and none of them are a "native" mode that exposes all the controller's functionality simultaneously.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That's just a problem inherent in the controller protocols they were able to use for it; XInput doesn't have gyro support, DInput is an increasingly obsolete mess, and the Switch doesn't support analog triggers. Really the best controller for PC gaming would probably be if Valve took what they learned from designing the Deck's control scheme and just made Steam Controller 2: This Time For Real, and gave it all the cool features.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

They could've exposed everything via Direct Input (really, regularl USB HID), except they had to limit that for Android compatibility, and it even does weird things like reduce the resolution of the triggers from 65536 to 256.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

sigher posted:

Everything I've run, which admittedly isn't much, has run well or just hitchy enough to be playable. Currently going through Pikmin 1 and Link's Awakening.

but enough about the nintendo switch

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

e.pilot posted:

No it doesn’t

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Grand Fromage posted:

I got a Dualsense for my PC after I got the Deck, the big difference is that a lot of games don't have an option to change prompts so you'll be shown ABXY instead of the Playstation shapes and have to remember what button it is. But the way the joysticks are arranged on the Xbox controller is just loving weird and I can't imagine using that thing.

I have also never used one so maybe it just looks stranger than it is, but whatever. The haptic feedback on the Dualsense doesn't work on PC, or at least not with Steam. I have never used the touchpad.

The bigger problem is no back buttons, I know there are controllers that have those.

Haptic feedback does work but just not through steam input. linux has native kernel support for the dualsense because sony contributed patches for it, so all you really need to do is disable steam input (which kinda sucks!) and haptics should work

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

If that's the case then I dont see the point of the haptic feedback, from what I understand most PC devs don't incorporate it into their games because who has a DualSense? I figured you might be able to use it for stuff like the touchpad, like with the Deck's.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

from what I understand most PC devs don't incorporate it into their games because who has a DualSense?

at least 40 million people

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Commander Keene posted:

If that's the case then I dont see the point of the haptic feedback, from what I understand most PC devs don't incorporate it into their games because who has a DualSense? I figured you might be able to use it for stuff like the touchpad, like with the Deck's.

A lot of games have dualsense support lmfao

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

alexandriao posted:

A lot of games have dualsense support lmfao

I think there's a total of 15 games or something that support the Haptic Triggers.

Am I insane or are there no way to apply Activators to your controller layouts when in Gaming Mode? I'm not seeing anything.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

TotK:
- You must use the Early Access version of Yuzu. You don't have to pay to use it, but you are supposed to. It's getting updates almost daily.
- You really want to have the recent Steam OS 3.5 Update. I think there are some important SMT changes.
- shader compilation will make the first couple minutes in an area a bit rough. The game gets smoother the more you play.
- there are several mods to help performance.
- Powertools can also help with performance
- Can't slam amiibo onto controller to make it rain fish and meat. Gyro works though.
- Rare crashes.
- graphical glitches with some 2D elements like fused weapon icons

Any YouTube tutorials made in the last couple weeks are getting really good performance. Looks smoother than on the switch imo.
I'm playing it on PC because I couldn't find a nice way to sync the save between PC and Deck. I guess sync thing but ehhh. For me the better frame rate is a fair tradeoff for the dreaded shader compilation stutter and crash risk, but that's not for everyone. One particular area was crashy, but it's been very stable for me otherwise.

sigher posted:

I think there's a total of 15 games or something that support the Haptic Triggers.
Yeah just about.
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Controller:DualSense#Games_with_adaptive_trigger_and_haptic_feedback_support

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jul 3, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sounds like i'll just keep playing it on switch

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I have, but not on the Deck.

Thoughts?

ProtonDB says it will run fine, but what's the gameplay like?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

sounds like i'll just keep playing it on switch

but it works great except for all these problems

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

got cyberpunk on deck last night, it's insane how it can run at all, compared to when i bought it at launch for PS4 :eyepop:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

but it works great except for all these problems

people really do come here just to embarrass themselves it's wild. yeah let me pirate or rom dump the game and also pirate or pay for an early access emulator hahahahah are you loving kidding me.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

got cyberpunk on deck last night, it's insane how it can run at all, compared to when i bought it at launch for PS4 :eyepop:

This is my go to "what can the deck really do" game. I've the GOG version installed with Heroic Launcher and it's a fantastic holy poo poo how does this look so good. Bad screen aside, the steam deck setting they provide is really good for 30-40fps with minimal tweaks which ideally is something all games should strive for. I'm personally fine with tinkering and changing poo poo and following guides but that you can get Cyberpunk to run and play well, with little to no fuss, is awesome.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

To change gears, question for the thread: for a RMA there's no guarantee they just return the Deck you send, right? I'm thinking that maybe it's time I address the thermal throttling issue and have them look at it but uh I'm guessing I'd have to swap back the original hard drive and I can't exactly change back to the original non hall effect sensors too.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Hitman world of assassination is such a great deck game.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

To change gears, question for the thread: for a RMA there's no guarantee they just return the Deck you send, right? I'm thinking that maybe it's time I address the thermal throttling issue and have them look at it but uh I'm guessing I'd have to swap back the original hard drive and I can't exactly change back to the original non hall effect sensors too.
Yeah I got sent a new machine. You should maybe pick up replacement original thumbsticks from ifixit and drop them in?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The only Switch game I wanna play is Smash Bros, and I haven't bothered because it would have to run flawlessly, and I'm sure it won't. Am I wrong?

What did you buy on this sale that you're liking? I've got no patience for learning a game right now, so I'm leaning toward Wreckfest. Castle crashers is only a couple bucks. Vanquish is 70% off but idk if it's good. Potato flowers and The Void Rains on on the wishlist as well, and Halls of Torment. Wooden Ocean is five bucks. Probably not great on Deck. I might end up grabbing good ol' Elastomania, which isn't on sale, but I sank countless hours into it as a kid and I'd do it again. Powerwash and Pizza Tower, we'll put those off until the next sale because I just have a feeling I won't be in the mood for them soon.

Edit: They painted the back of the buttons, cool.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I finally bought Vampire Survivors.

It should be legally classed as a narcotic.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

minusX posted:

Yeah I got sent a new machine. You should maybe pick up replacement original thumbsticks from ifixit and drop them in?

Oh drat yeah that’s a good idea.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Mescal posted:

What did you buy on this sale that you're liking?

UnderMine checked all of my boxes for Steam Deck indie games:
  • Deck verified
  • $4.99 (75% off)
  • 95% positive reviews
  • pixel art
  • short play sessions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s funny how hostile switch people get when it’s shown it’s not actually that hard to replicate their machine