Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Lol

Thanks Ants posted:

Lando goes from 5th to 4th :lando:

Alonso goes from 6th to 5th :alonso:

Sainz goes from 4th to 6th

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Can we make an emote out of my old carlos av where they told him mid interview he was getting a penalty?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Thanks Ants posted:

They should have had Walter Sobchak on the stewarding team

Are these the Nazis, Walter?

No, Donny, these men are Dutch, there's nothing to be afraid of.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
That was a fun race.

:lando::alonso::lando::alonso::lando::alonso::lando::alonso::lando::alonso::lando::alonso::lando::alonso::lando::alonso::lando::alonso::lando::alonso::lando::alonso::lando::alonso::lando::alonso::lando::alonso:

[edit]

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lmao only five people kept their places, what a shitshow.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
lmao at this farcical sport. I only managed to watch the first 20 laps. HIghlights were ok.

Nyck won't see out the year right?

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.

Thanks Ants posted:

They should have had Walter Sobchak on the stewarding team

Personal Lucubrant posted:

Qualifying highlights:

:emptyquote:

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
The alpine/mclaren slapfight over piastri looks pretty fun now. He was terrible all weekend.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Nowher posted:

lmao at this farcical sport. I only managed to watch the first 20 laps. HIghlights were ok.

Nyck won't see out the year right?

talk of the town is he got until the break to prove himself on tracks hes raced on before

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

acidx posted:

The alpine/mclaren slapfight over piastri looks pretty fun now. He was terrible all weekend.

iirc his car hadn't received the upgrades that Lando received yet

I wonder if AT will put Lawson in the De Vries seat or try to work out a deal for Palou

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah it wasn't great but Piastri has easily been the best of the rookies. I think we'll get a very good indication with him over the next few races.

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

That NASCAR race was fun

ja_raul
May 1, 2005

Astaldo posted:

So why the gently caress keep Sainz behind Leclerc?

Passioné

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Witeldram posted:

That NASCAR race was fun

It sounds like the pick of the weekend, and not just from a crash/smash/comedy value point of view too.

The F1 main race just…kind of happened? I had every lap on TV but past the start, it really did nothing.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Apologies if this was already posted.... I fell asleep after 8 laps last night

https://i.imgur.com/PZPdc88.mp4

Love Oscar's reaction :xd:

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Lmao what the hell

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Grats to Ocon on surpassing Maldonado!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What a dumb sport

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I dunno I felt like the race was a solid watch. The penalties were weird but there was a a lot of actual racing if you ignore max?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I genuinely don't understand why they don't just put a gently caress load of gravel where the track limits are and let the drivers figure it out themselves.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Aphex- posted:

I genuinely don't understand why they don't just put a gently caress load of gravel where the track limits are and let the drivers figure it out themselves.

They run stupid bicycles on the circuit as well and they don't want to get a booboo when they hit the gravel and tilt because they can't afford more than 2 wheels...

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Alaois posted:

did the stewards just never get around to telling alpine that ocon was going over the line on basically every lap

Maybe they should have asked the guy in the car, OP.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Aphex- posted:

The problem is that the penalty is only 5 seconds after a bunch of warnings, so when the teams run the numbers the risk of going exceeding track limits is worth it. The answer is to reduce the number of warnings and up the penalty to 30 seconds. No team is going to risk going outside the lines with that harsh of a penalty.

Edit: A 30 second penalty would also provide lots of comedy from the team radios. Toto would lose his mind when Lewis goes off twice...

daslog fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 3, 2023

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

According to the latest rulings, it’s supposed to be:
1-3) warning
4) black and white flag
5) 5-second penalty
6) 10-second penalty
7) stop-and-go?

That’s pretty harsh, if actually enforced.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

smackfu posted:

According to the latest rulings, it’s supposed to be:
1-3) warning
4) black and white flag
5) 5-second penalty
6) 10-second penalty
7) stop-and-go?

That’s pretty harsh, if actually enforced.

Here is how it should be

1-2) warning
4) black and white flag
5) 30 - second penalty
6) Gunther loses his poo poo during a live interview.
7) Back to 1.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Why even police it. Whether they all go to the white line or over it... its the same for everyone?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If they didn’t police it at all, drivers would do stupid things at tracks with asphalt runoffs.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

daslog posted:

Here is how it should be

1-2) warning
4) black and white flag
5) 30 - second penalty
6) Gunther loses his poo poo during a live interview.
7) Back to 1.

I thought though that after the 1st penalty the drivers start getting warnings again?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

don't tell the drivers and teams at all until the end of the race on the podium

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Should be a statue of limitations on going over the white line. If you make it ten laps and they don’t give you a warning then you get away with it

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
So no sausage but what about a very small patch of lava but not set up to flip the car

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

refleks posted:

Why even police it. Whether they all go to the white line or over it... its the same for everyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MNJQpZhXCc

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcxFKxlIWrg

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Mclaren ugly

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

What am I looking at here? Besides bucktoothed moonshine runners commented by Günther Steiner?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
it was a great race

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 51 minutes!
McLaren turned their car into a mirror for Silverstone

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

A small part of it

Can’t disrupt the careful corporate design already approved by all sponsors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

smackfu posted:

If they didn’t police it at all, drivers would do stupid things at tracks with asphalt runoffs.
The much better system was the Massi system, where they'd identify corners where people got too much advantage for running off and set a reasonable limit. Unfortunately his role was replaced with a rotating door of imbeciles so we get rules that fly in the face of logic.
The reason this system is so broken is because it's a one-size fits all solution that circuits were never designed around.
e.g. in Austria you're actually meant to use that kerb, but the white line is before the kerb - if you use it and the car takes the quickest rotation where it goes widest in the middle, you will be out of bounds every time.

Unless they start painting white lines in the middle of the kerbs or behind them you're going to see these ridiculous situations where the racing line is very literally meant to be out of bounds. Making the sport about who can work out how to take the corner least wrong is dumb and it's why the stewards put their note it has to change.