Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Pirate Radar posted:

So, the brother is ill in some way and needs help?

Only when he poo poo himself after eating plates of candy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
What's his forum account?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

He's ill, but in a way that's beyond anyone but a trained professional being able to help. The pants making GBS threads is tangental.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Bright Bart posted:

He was from the USA and we were studying at McGill. So the joke was about being French Canadian and they do indeed use the term CV. But what I was pointing out was that the term people south of the border use is more French than the term the French use.

CV and resume are both used in American academia and academia-adjacent jobs and are not the same thing in that context. (Resume is 1-2 pages, CV is comprehensive)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel like it's just that whole set of noises that humans are prone to make when surprised, excited or otherwise feeling strong sudden emotion.

When I was nannying, i decided not to use the word NO around the kids when they started to talk, at least in terms of "stop that, I see that!" Instead I made up some "Ahhht!" thing that for some reason they couldn't easily replicate. No is easy, apparently my tone with Ahhht! made it harder. So they never did the screaming of No back to me. in fact one day I saw the oldest spot her brother about to gently caress with her building blocks, and she did scream "AHT!" and the boy stopped right there.

of course that all went away when they went to preschool but I enjoyed not having little kids screaming No back to me.

AITA for building my teenage sons a bedroom in the backyard?

quote:

My wife and I have 5 children together (9M, 8M, 7M, 4M, 2M) and I have 3 children with my ex-wife (17M, 15M, 13F). When I bought our current house, it had 4 bedrooms, I later renovated the basement to add another 2 bedrooms. My wife and I have 1 room, the 3 teenagers had a room each, and the youngers boys share the other 2 rooms (with various configurations over the years). As the younger boys get older things are going to get more cramped for them and we haven't ruled out having more kids. I also don't want to immediately take my older kid’s rooms away the second they go to college (and maybe they'll stay local or no go at all), because of this I started looking at how I would add more bedrooms.

The property our house is on is a little under 1 acre. Last year I decided I would build a den in the backyard that could become the older boys’ bedrooms. The build was finished a few weeks ago and the boys have moved in. They have a small shared living space that includes a kitchenette, a shared bathroom, and they each have their own rooms. It's essentially a tiny house in our yard. They boys love it, and we had a lot of fun working on the build together.

My ex-wife, however, is less than pleased with the boys new living arrangements. She has multiple safety concerns as she thinks they are too far away if something happens and that they will feel like they could get away with whatever as I can't monitor them well. She also thinks it's unfair they will have to walk through a yard to get to and from their bedrooms to the house even in adverse weather conditions. She feels as though I'm pushing the boys away by housing them in the backyard and that it suggests I'm prioritising my new family, while at the same time thinking giving them a cool den in the backyard is favoring them over their sister.

I think her biggest issue is the one she didn't mention, which is worrying the boys will want to spend even more time at my house if they have more privacy and great place to hang with their friends. We no longer split custody based on our custody agreement and for the last few years the boys have lived the majority of the time with me, where as our daughter alternates between our houses every 2 weeks.

My ex is trying to make it out like I'm a massive rear end in a top hat in this situation, but I really don't feel like I am. However, in the past I haven't always known when I have been an rear end in a top hat so maybe I'm missing something. AITA?

I wanted to go with YTA for the spoiler because stop making more kids holy poo poo.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for building my teenage sons a bedroom in the backyard?

Fertility Georg is an outlier, and should not have been counted in the official statistics.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
AITA for refusing my wifes request to throw away my beloved thrift store owl idol Oswald?

quote:

I found Oswald at a small weird thrift store, kinda beginning of Gremlins vibes. I have no idea what his insides are Made of but someone, possibly a retired taxidermist with dementia in a old folks home, painstakingly hot glue gunned feathers all over a pineapple husk or maybe piece of heartwood from the deepest woods. Or possibly a pile of fossilized rat carcasses ductaped together. He has massive googly eyes that stare across space and time. I have anointed him with a chain mail necklace and a ring with real human blood infused. My wife thinks that A. He is trash and B. He controls my mind in some weird manner. She actually said, and I quote " imagine a towering heap of garbage, in a massive sprawling junkyard, and on top the stinkiest garbage, there lies Oswald, waiting to be smushed into the rest of the trash where he belongs forever" I found that hurtfull and mean. All he want to do is watch over us and maybe cast some spells or something, levy some curses against redheads who say nasty things about kind old Owl idols... So we are moving in a week, am I the rear end in a top hat if I keep him?

Pic of thrift owl:

Comments from OP in bold:

quote:

[–]themainman6

This is easily the most bizarre post I’ve read today. I can understand why your girlfriend doesn’t want to keep a stuffed owl you put your blood in, however, because I’m beginning to suspect that YOU u/666truemetal666

are possessed by the owl, and the last thing I need is a possessed owl loving up my life, NTA

[–]666truemetal666

Oh its not my blood. And my wife is the one who purchased the blood ring against the advice of wise friends

[–]king--fish

“Oh it’s not my blood” is the LEAST comforting thing that could have been said in response

[–]666truemetal666

Hahahahahaha

quote:

[–]Slight-Bar-534

Where will he live in the new house?

[–]666truemetal666

I suggested to my wife that we could put him in Victorian bird cage if that would be more pleasing and she said I'm done talking about Oswald... So I'm thinking throne built out of bird cages full of bones

[–]barbaramillicent

I mean if she’s done talking about it, that sounds like a green light to build whatever cage you want

[–]666truemetal666

It sounded more like no more sex until the next full moon to me but I'll take that answer

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:stare:
Just back away slowly, lads. Don't make any sudden movements.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:stare:
Just back away slowly, lads. Don't make any sudden movements.

And certainly don't look it in the eyes.

Should I (48m) tell my wife (44f) that I received a sex tape of her in the mail?

quote:

This is an odd thing. Wife and I have been married 20 years. I’ve never suspected her of cheating and our sex life has been outstanding.

First of the year, I receive a package in the mail. It’s a DVD addressed to me, and a typed note that says “your eyes only”. It’s my wife having sex , separately, with three guys. She was younger, much younger, based on body and appearance and hair style it was around the time we were going out—either before, during, or after we were engaged (she grew her hair longer for the wedding and kept it that way).

First I’ve no idea who sent it to me other than one of those three guys in the DVD - none of which I know. I’m assuming it’s one of my wife’s ex. Second I’ve know idea why they sent it. Are they trying to say she was screwing around on me? The tape isn’t time stamped so I don’t have a frame of reference. She kept her hair short for years until we were engaged so it could have been during a block of time, certainly before we dated.

And also what are they trying to achieve if this was taken before we dated? I know my wife had other partners. Hell I had three times the partners she did before we married but that was 20 years ago I think we’re past that. But apparently this person or persons isn’t. The whole thing is strange. I’m not sure what’s going on. I haven’t told my wife, I’m not sure how she would take it. She’s very sexual and adventurous but I don’t think she’d like the idea of her past catching up to her. But I don’t think I’ll get to the bottom of this unless I tell her.

EDIT - update. I’m overwhelmed by the responses. Thank you for your interest.

I did speak to my wife yesterday afternoon. Some mentioned letting her watch it in private and I gave her that option. She did and we talked at length. Some of it is a bit clearer now.

The two “amateur” looking videos are two roommates, taken on the same night. That’s why the camera doesn’t move and that’s why the room is the same. I asked why the bed looks different and she replied the sheets were a bit messy so they changed them before they had another go.

The other is a boyfriend she dated when her and I met, before we actually started dating. She knows this man is friends with one of the before mentioned roommates and thinks it’s him who got the three videos together and sent them to us.

Why?

She admits that last summer he tried connecting with her on Facebook. When she did he tried to make it sexual again so she stopped. She thinks he sent the DVD to cause an issue with us.

For the first time I now have doubts. Her answers are logical but seem a bit off to me. And honestly I may be just upset that she did two guys in one night - I know it was 20 years ago but that’s still hard to take call me shallow if you want. Also she didn’t seem shaken by the DVD or the fact I had it, merely irritated that this person sent it. I had the idea she’d rather I didn’t have it but now that I did, oh well.

It still leaves many questions unanswered, such as why the tapes are from 96-97 and the DVD was made in 2013 but I’m just getting it now? That many be minor but it may be everything. Plus how does this gentleman know where I live - Facebook doesn’t give you that information. Being in contact with someone does so now you see why I have doubts.

Thanks to you all for your concern and feedback. I love my wife and cherish her, and her past is her past, but for some reason it’s slapping us in the face right now. I will take some time between the two of us to figure out what is truly going on.

EDIT II - I want to clarify something. I’ve been getting a lot of feedback, mostly negative, where everyone is irritated with me that I’m upset with my wife for being with two men in the same night. None of my business, it was 20 years ago I should man up, that sort of thing.

Look, i said it was hard to take. Most men understand their partner was with different people before them. But SEEING their spouse with two men on the same night is hard to handle. I didn’t say I was changing my view of her, or leaving, or any other angst you want to put on me. It’s just a difficult thing for a married man to see and realize. I’ll get past it , but it’s not an easy thing. And for everyone who says “it was 20 years ago lighten up” I challenge you to sit back, grab a beer and watch two young men have intercourse with your wife on the same night and see how you feel about it. Frustrated at best. You won’t love her less but you’ll not feel great afterwards trust me. So thanks for everyone calling me an rear end in a top hat but until your in that position I’ll ignore you thank you very much .

FINAL EDIT - this will be my final edit. Thank you all for your support but all I will say is, it’s time for me to make some decisions. I hacked into my wife’s Facebook account - childish and immature I’ll admit but I did it nonetheless. And I found things disturbing enough that I need to think long and hard about what I do next. I’ve given her the benefit of the doubt through this entire thing , now a shadow had been cast and I’m questioning her more than ever before. Heartbroken is putting it mildly. It’s time for me to work on my life and my self. Thanks to everyone and their interest .

DeadMansSuspenders fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 3, 2023

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

that owl owns

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

"haha whoa check out this rad as heck owl"

--smart people

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Bright Bart posted:

The whole point of a cruise is to eat as much as you want while doing nothing and not feel bad about yourself because you're in International Waters.

https://www.theonion.com/new-royal-caribbean-cruise-just-12-day-buffet-on-floor-1819578766

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Echoes of another story...

My [21F] boyfriend of 2 years’ [21M] parents [50s] are obsessed with their family teddy bear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXn0uIF60iU

Bright Bart posted:

Is... is this a retelling of the one where a dude who works every moment they aren't asleep moves his friend in, and his partner develops feelings for said friend, and then when pressed for more affection the dude is like 'why don't you sleep with [friend], I figured you'd have been doing that already anyways?'.

Or are there just a lot of cases such as this.

Was this the original art room guy, or someone else? It's a pretty common thread archetype.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Invisible Clergy posted:

Was this the original art room guy, or someone else? It's a pretty common thread archetype.

I think that was the Cyan saga, not the art room guy.

Runcible Cat posted:

Update for this one:

quote:

AITA for telling my friend that he wasn’t obliged to hang around my wife?

My (29M) wife (30F) and my best friend Cyan (25M) do not see eye to eye. Some backstory: my wife and I moved for my new job. Cyan was the cousin of a hs friend so I was thrilled to know someone. We quickly became best friends, closer than brothers. In covid, our job was in person vs. my wife’s WFH.

Cyan is a very kind person. I think wife hated everything about Cyan. She thought he was too goofy and hated how he teased her. My wife takes things seriously, and she’s a romantic so things like date nights are a BIG DEAL to her. she hated when Cyan hung out even when I invited him.

A few months ago I had a 4 month project across the world. I needed the promotion. My wife ended up needing surgery and she unlike me didn’t make close friends here. her friends/fam were too far. She couldn’t do normal things post surgery and wanted me to come back. I complained to Cyan and he suggested that he pop on over to help her. He ended up doing a lot more and my wife heavily relied on his kindness.

When I came back, it was like my wife flipped her switch. Things that were “immature” became “playful”, she constantly fell for his fish for compliments, and it was like Cyan could do no wrong. Cyan still hung out but it was like he couldn’t snap out of caretaker mode. The two of them are practically joined at the hip. When I went to work, my wife packs Cyan a lunch too- and his is a lot better than hers or mine. Cyan needs this or that or whatever. She showers him with attention. My wife can be overbearing like that.

At a small party, I came with my wife and she immediately zoomed to Cyan and monopolized all his time. after he went to the bathroom, which was basically the only time she left him alone, I pulled him aside and told him I knew my wife was clingy and it was okay if he kept boundaries. he wasn’t obliged to hang around my wife. I said it kindly. He turned red, told me I was an rear end in a top hat, and stormed away. He left without saying goodbye to anybody but my wife.

AITA? I told some mutual friends about this and most of them are on my side. They said Cyan didn’t know how to stand up for himself, he was embarassed. Cyan is still pissed.

And not quite the update you might expect:

[29M] [30F] [25M] I think my friend manipulated me into divorcing my wife

quote:

My wife (30F) and I (29M) have a close friend, Cyan (25M). He was my close friend first but after a period of a little over 3 months of a medical situation in which he helped take care of my wife, they became friends.

My wife and I have hit a rough patch recently. She accused me of being distant, of not paying attention to her or caring about her, and other things to imply I’m lacking as a husband. Meanwhile, I have a lot of things on my plate that she refused to acknowledge like the fact that my insomnia’s getting worse, my job hours are killing me, and I don’t have free time to do anything anymore.

A few weeks ago, Cyan and I were hanging out with some buddies from work and we were talking about how a friend was blindsided by divorce. Cyan made a comment to me that my wife won’t be a taken woman for long. I saw this as my wife had confided in Cyan that she was going to divorce me and he was giving me a heads up.

I had to beat her to the punch and I went to the top divorce lawyers in the area. At the time, I didn’t realize that it meant she hadn’t met with divorce lawyers. We don’t have many assets. My parents paid the down payment on our house.

I served her the papers and she sobbed for hours. She seemed shocked. Since I owned more of the house, I asked her to leave and she left reluctantly but not without more sobbing.

My wife went to a hotel at first but here’s where it gets messed up. I found out she started living with Cyan. I couldn’t get in touch with her. I confronted Cyan at work and he said it was obvious that she would stay with him because she had no other friends in our state and she hadn’t planned on being kicked out. He said he would take care of her. I didn’t feel reassured. My wife is a planner. There is no way she would not have a place to go if she was going to divorce me. The only reason I asked for a divorce was because she was getting one and I knew that the person who files first has the upper hand. I think my friend manipulated me into divorcing my wife. I don’t know why. What do I do now?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
If that's all it took then yeah, she was gonna divorce him. Cyan just figured it out first.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA for Refusing to Go to My Brother's "Overflow Wedding"??

quote:

My (23F) brother (30M) had been planning a wedding with his (26F) fiancee for a year. My brother and I have never been close because of our age difference, but it's not like we don't get along. They'd been dating for a few years, and his fiancee wanted to have this giant wedding with all of our family and hers plus friends, plus ones, etc., but they really couldn't afford it. They finally agreed to have this wedding at a venue that is somewhat small and they can afford it, but it does not allow more than 100 people in it at a time.

I guess her and her parents were mad about this because more than 100 people just in her family/friend list needed to be invited and their plus ones. So they made a compromise where some guests would be a part of the 100, and the rest of the guests would be in the "overflow wedding" so they would still be invited, but wouldn't mess up this limit the venue has. The guests in that overflow room would watch the ceremony on a livestream video projected into this movie theater nearby the venue that they would rent out. I guess renting out a room in a theater is cheaper?? Idk.

Apparently her list is the most important, so I was invited to the overflow wedding???? I was pissed about this, and I asked him what this was about when we were at my dad's birthday party 2 weeks after I got the invite. He said it was fine because I could go to the reception. I told him that it was the principle. I am his immediate family so I should be able to go to the normal venue. He told me that he needs to make her family happy, and that I should understand. Then he said we're not that close of family, anyway, and that she needs to be happy on her wedding.

So basically, I told him that I will not be attending the wedding, and that I should get to go to the main ceremony. He got mad at me and we were yelling fighting. Multiple people at the party yelled at me for making a scene and that it is "Her day" and I should be grateful for even getting to go to the overflow wedding.

So AITA?
Comments are pointing out that it's "His Day" Too and this is just a gift grab.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

deoju posted:

That's mostly cool...

But gently caress that part. That's just theft.

I just had a flash back of some AITA post where a rude old lady kept coming by the OPs house to steal their strawberries, then cursed OP out when OP told her to stop.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Man that line, "we're not that close of family", would make me cry all day in bed for a week. Then consider severing.

Yes I'm going through something right now why do you ask?!

Bored posted:

I just had a flash back of some AITA post where a rude old lady kept coming by the OPs house to steal their strawberries, then cursed OP out when OP told her to stop.

It's funny when old people are entitled. There was a lady on this double decker bus I was travelling on who insisted someone from the front of the bus on the lower level switch seats with her, because she said those are the safest seats in case of a crash, and wouldn't relent until someone did. A guy or gal I can't remember was like 'you want this young person to risk dying instead?' and she's like 'I'm old I'm scared of death.

Also an old lady in the hospital skipper everyone to go to the registration booth. When it was pointed out that there's a line she said 'Yes but I'm old. I don't wait in lines. I don't have time to wait in lines.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 3, 2023

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Key phrase:

So, between the years of 5-10, Karter barely saw his father. "While on leave" isn't a lot of time when a child is young. Not surprising Karter also values his stepdad.

Now I'm curious about what happened before/during the divorce, especially with OP going off on his whole "I'm his REAL dad" tangent

MisterOblivious posted:

AITA for refusing to shave my hair and donate it??

Wonder what combo of religion/favoritism/homophobia led to OP living with her grandparents :magemage:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol that dude trying to metagame divorce at the first hint without any discussion or investigation.
Given that his reaction to cyan and wife flirting was to apologize to Cyan about his overbearing wife, probably a long time coming anyway. I'd wonder why he is acting shocked and manipulated now but he is clearly struggling to understand the dynamics of any aspect of life.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Should I (48m) tell my wife (44f) that I received a sex tape of her in the mail?

good job idiot, you did exactly whatever malevolent dickhead who sent you that poo poo wanted you to do. I hope you're happy making people who wanted to hurt your wife happy?

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

I think my (29/F) newly wed husband (27/M) is trying to fatten me up for his fetish

quote:

I've dated my husband for about 2 years before we got married in January. I work in social media marketing and he works as an accountant. We met one day when I was having lunch at a Chipotle close to where we work. He was a sweet guy and we hit it off.

Now I didn't think about it much, but now that I look back at it, my now husband seems to have always had a penchant for feeding me. Always buying me ice creams and cakes even without prompting. Ordering desserts even when never hinted wanting it. He'd also take me to the places with the heaviest food. ie. I suggest sushi sometimes and he'd be like, no lets have Fuddruckers instead. I happily obliged because I always thought it was such a sweet gesture. I'm also a foodie so I didn't mind.

Well, I did gain a noticeable amount of weight while we were dating, but it's gotten worse ever since our wedding. I think I must've gained at least 30 pounds since then. I used to be quite fit and could run 2 miles easily every evening. Lately, I've been trying to push back. I've suggested cooking at home and making salads, but he keeps insisting on ordering greasy and unhealthy takeout. Every time we have sex, he's always commenting on how he loves that I keep gaining weight and that my rear end keeps getting bigger.

Honestly, I know there's a stigma towards liking heavier women, but I've just been feeling downright unhealthy and he doesn't seem to listen to me. As newly weds, I want this marriage to work between us, but I feel like he's not listening and seems to be more concerned about his fetish. How can I talk to him about this? Is this marriage even worth staying in?

UPDATE: Thank you everyone for the overwhelming responses! I actually confronted him about it in a very subtle way. I told him I wanted to join a gym after this pandemic is over and that I wanted.to start eating healthier because I've been feeling so unhealthy. Unfortunately his response was that I should not worry so much about that and then he went cold towards me the rest of the night. Was quite disappointed by his response to be honest

A woman [33F] I [36M] am dating posted my picture to an online cheaters page

quote:

I met Danielle on a dating app and we immediately hit it off. Conversation was super easy for us so we swapped numbers and spent the next two weeks texting and talking on the phone. I explained early on that I want to take my time because not only am I looking for something serious, but also have work commitments the next few months. I work in tech product sales, which can be very busy and also involve me leaving the city for a few days at a time.

She said she understood and was also looking for something long-term. Great. We met the weekend before Valentines and had a nice restaurant date following by dessert and coffee. We finished with a kiss and I walked her back to her car. It was definitely the best date I've been on since my last relationship. The next day I called her to say I was looking forward to seeing her again and would plan something when I get back.

I live in a major North American city and from the 15th-17th I was booked 3 hours away for on-site client meetings. I told her about this and let her know we'd keep in touch.

On the Friday I'm due to get back, I get a msg from a close female friend asking who I pissed off. I have no clue what she's talking about. She sends me a screenshot of my photo on what looks like a FB page and tells me it's a private group where women call out men for cheating. It's called 'Are we dating the same guy?' and this particular group is just for people from my city.

In the screenshot multiple people are posting under my picture with mostly harmless comments like 'oh I went on a date with him years ago, he was ok,' but there were others like "PM me for the tea" and one woman said "He's an angry rear end in a top hat, stay away for your safety." Because it's FB I instantly recognized her name as someone I went on a date with last summer who I had to block after she repeatedly tried to sell me her cat. Absolute lunatic.

A few things about me - I am single, I have never been married and my last relationship was over a year ago. I am very selective and Danielle was the first date I'd been on since the end of summer. I am also a very private person. I don't use social media and I don't kiss and tell. The fact that my photo is on this site is mortifying.

What makes matters worse is when I got home I started getting texts from a bunch of other people I know either laughing at me or calling me a womanizer. As of now I'm aware that several female friends have seen it, one coworker, my sister, and a woman I know who lives in the same building as me that excitedly grabbed me when I was leaving this morning to tell me "I saw you on that Facebook group!!" Apparently it's a lot more popular than I realized.

There's only one person who would have the motivation to do this, so I called Danielle on the weekend and asked her. Initially she denied it, but after some prodding that flipped to apparently her friend posting it. Why? Because a few of them had gotten tipsy together on Valentines as they're all single. My name came up after her friends asked why she wasn't with me that night after the great date she'd told them about. Apparently me not being around as I was leaving early the next morning for work was 'suspicious' as was the fact we'd been talking for multiple weeks but she'd never seen my place.

She gave them a pic I used on the dating app and one of them posted it. She told me she was sorry but that I seemed too good to be true. Her last relationship ended due to cheating and she wanted to make sure I wasn't married or in a relationship. I told her I needed some time to think and would be in touch.

That was Saturday. We've been silent until today where I woke up to dozens of msgs from her saying things along the lines of "I'm so sorry"/"I'm so angry with myself for this" and then the real truth. It was her that posted it. She wanted to come completely clean and apologized for lying, telling me she panicked when I confronted her but she wants it all out now. She sent me screenshots unprovoked of the PM conversations she was having with women in the group about me. Aside from the one headcase I mentioned earlier, there was nothing accusatory, but what I couldn't get over was how they were discussing me in such an open manner. It had nothing to do with whether I was single or cheating, it was stuff like 'he took me to this restaurant, he drives this kinda car, this is what he's like in bed, this is what his place is like, this is how much money I think he makes.' I would never talk about exes or people I've dated like that. And if a guy tried to talk to me about Danielle like that I'd think he was a loving weirdo and tell him to stop.

My two closest female friends are divided on this so I'm here for advice. One thinks that women need to protect themselves against predators and violence and groups like this are necessary. The other is angry on my behalf because the presumption of men being posted to that group are that they're cheaters or sketchy, otherwise why would anyone even post them there?

I really don't know what to do next. I've never had to deal with anything remotely like this before. I like Danielle but it was ONE DATE. She also lied to me about it at first. This seems like a headache and we've never even had sex yet. Is she going to get even more paranoid after that? It doesn't feel like we're compatible. This feels like the past 3 weeks of us talking have been one massive waste and that actually stings because she's the first person I've really liked since my ex.

TLDR: Went on a date with a woman and she posted my pic to a cheaters group because she wanted to know if I was actually single. Now my private life is disrupted and I don't know if we're compatible moving forward.
What are the threads thoughts on these online groups?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

dervival posted:

good job idiot, you did exactly whatever malevolent dickhead who sent you that poo poo wanted you to do. I hope you're happy making people who wanted to hurt your wife happy?

me: ugh. this is gross but it's not news.
her: ugh. yeah, this is gross but it's not news.
me: WHAT IS SHE HIDING?

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

As a woman who has been through online dating, I get the impulse to want to figure out ahead of time if the guy is married / engaged / etc. It's apparently super common to use apps to cheat and it's annoying to have to spend the first three dates trying to be Sherlock Holmes to determine if your date is actually single.

That said, these groups are worse than useless in that aggrieved women will post literally anybody for such crimes as:
- Ghosting (...after one date)
- Being a narcissist / male manipulator / lovebomber (...aka, was nice to them and then decided not to date them)
- Generally being rejected in any way

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
My long term gf had a friend try to do a deep dive on me but at the time I was trying to start a cybersecurity company that “erased” you from the internet and I had made myself the product. Basically had used SEO to obfuscate myself from google etc and deactivated all social media. I had to explain that, which sounds like something a cheater would say, but when I went through and explained exactly everything she was cool with it. It made me understand how women have to be more careful, though.

If she or her friend had posted me on one of those fb groups I would’ve been very uncomfortable

GrunkleStalin
Aug 13, 2021
Trying to find a story about a couple where the man had done the math and said he did more but didn’t account for the mental load.
Like he was handling pickup/drop off while she was planning the schedule and coordinating doctor appointments.
Anyone know what I’m talking about?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

GrunkleStalin posted:

Trying to find a story about a couple where the man had done the math and said he did more but didn’t account for the mental load.
Like he was handling pickup/drop off while she was planning the schedule and coordinating doctor appointments.

This was fairly recent, couldn’t have been more than within the last couple weeks in this thread

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

GrunkleStalin posted:

Here you go:

Evil Willow posted:

AITA, Wife says I don’t contribute enough to household chores/duties. Did the math, and I actually do more.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

vonnegutt posted:

As a woman who has been through online dating, I get the impulse to want to figure out ahead of time if the guy is married / engaged / etc. It's apparently super common to use apps to cheat and it's annoying to have to spend the first three dates trying to be Sherlock Holmes to determine if your date is actually single.

That said, these groups are worse than useless in that aggrieved women will post literally anybody for such crimes as:
- Being a narcissist / male manipulator / lovebomber (...aka, was nice to them and then decided not to date them)

I met my wife online and otherwise had a very uneventful time with online dating but holy poo poo there was one woman who I went on one date with and then I told her I wasn't really interested and she got crazy angry at me and kept threatening to put my profile photo on some site like that. Not sure if she did or not but she did keep sending me angry texts and phone calls for around a month after

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

vonnegutt posted:

And of course NOT BUYING MY CAT!!!

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I enjoyed online dating well enough. The worst that happened to me is that I wanted to be friends with some of them after a few dates and they told me no they have enough friends. Oh and one or two after a bad date where we just didn't get along said something like 'You look nothing like your pictures!' and I smiled while thinking 'No *you* look nothing like your pictures. There's no airbrushing or filters on mine. I'm just smiling in them because I'm happy while you're making me miserable.'.

But... those are my male worst experiences. Presumably any woman would scoff.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

My worst experience was a girl telling me she got the ick because I didn’t want her to have weed in my car. I work in a position that is regulated by the FAA, I’m not being a jerk I just don’t want to have to go to rehab for weed I didn’t smoke if we get pulled over and then probably lose my job. She was also upset when I said we’d leave if a guy was aggressively hitting on her at a bar, the correct answer was apparently that I should beat the guy up.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

dating sucks, kinda glad I fell into a stable relationship

I'm absolutely hosed if it falls apart though

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Not the worst, but my favorite was someone that flipped straight from "I knew you only wanted one thing" to "I thought I had found a fuckbuddy at least" with zero introspection. Meanwhile, I was sitting there listening to her angry rant going, "ah, that's what felt off" with a new and improved understanding of why people just ghost each other on those things.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

the holy poopacy posted:

me: ugh. this is gross but it's not news.
her: ugh. yeah, this is gross but it's not news.
me: WHAT IS SHE HIDING?

Yeah the hard turn at 'she wasn't being ashamed enough about the sex tape' is. Uhhhhhhhh. He's so decent in his first post, then his brain just yeets out and insecurity takes the wheel.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I once went on a date with a woman I met on OKcupid and she showed up with her cockatoo and had bird poo poo on her left shoulder.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I once went on a date with a woman I met on OKcupid and she showed up with her cockatoo and had bird poo poo on her left shoulder.

That feels usefully honest, like you know from the get go that this is an absolute Bird Person, and you can make an informed decision at that moment.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I've had a ton of awful experiences with dating, including 3 different men threatening to kill me when I said I'd just like to be friends after only a couple dates, and I still think those doxxing fb groups are hosed up. They don't actually help anyone, and there are tons of people being falsely accused by scorned dates like OP.

Also, that overeating guy should just remember to wear the formal gurglespurts pants to the next wedding.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Pope Corky the IX posted:

at least it wasn't a swamp dragon?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Yeah diaps are an easy solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Personally, it's risky, vindictive & pretty loving stupid unless you have 100% concrete proof. Otherwise the site & people are setting themselves up for future libel/slander/defamation issues. I get why people do it, but IMHO it's on the same level as working for a hospital & secretly looking up someone's medical history, or being a cop & digging into their background out of paranoia. Just move the gently caress on & stop letting idiots live rent-free in your obviously empty head.