Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

what the gently caress is even the point lmao

to feel like you're "doing something"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
This will get me run out of here for car brained-ness, but I would love a Suzuki Jimny. Tiny, cheap, the biggest engine offered has 101hp: https://www.globalsuzuki.com/automobile/lineup/jimny/

Still an insanely inefficient unnecessary toy, but at least it's human scale. Has legit off-road chops too.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/43958/you-can-buy-a-new-suzuki-jimny-at-us-dealerships-just-dont-ask-too-many-questions

Because the US is a lawless land you can buy one from a shady dealer. They're completely illegal of course.

Edit: I love dealers not giving a poo poo:

quote:

As we talked, he reiterated that Iconic Motors bought the truck in Mexico, though he added, "They're a very popular truck outside the United States, so we figured we would sell one here." That's... as good a reason as any, I thought.

Twerk from Home has issued a correction as of 18:11 on Jul 3, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Weembles posted:

All the drivers of old fashioned jeeps with dents and diamond plate welded over the corners and upside down "if you can read this flip me over" bumper stickers were laughing and filling their tires back up to freeway pressure. The one guy with the brand new 4-door was just standing there mortified, staring at the spot where a shrub branch had put a scrape into his paint.
lol

we used to have like a 1972 CJ jeep we painted white and welded diamond plate all over the back and sides and towed behind our rv. it was great. now it drove like poo poo, no power steering, braking sucked, started to feel like it’d rattle apart over 55mph on the hwy, kinda garbage mph, but it did handle doing plenty of actual off-roading and river bed driving well and was super easy to repair

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

there's a reason car commercials always feature someone driving a spotless new model through a desert or on a mountain or in a mountain desert instead of in suburban city traffic. people really want to think of themselves as anything besides 9-5 office workers

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
oh yeah, well i want a small light truck just like a bunch of goons dads here used to have. a better truck from a better time.
back when there were more bugs on the windshield and the *farts*

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

my dad had a civic

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Gunshow Poophole posted:

There is no point. People smoothed out their brains to eliminate the friction from contradictions and now things are sliding out of control.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Thinking about the guy on the radio who listened to a symphony about climate change and was so inspired that bought a new Tesla

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
all of the levers and buttons, through intention or attrition, have been removed. The control panel is now one dial labeled CONSUME and you can only spin it in the CONSUME MORE direction

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

Nobody has ever wanted to work, ever, in all of history, because working loving sucks, and tech weirdos are aberrations and were the type of cavemen who would have been really into astrology and megaliths instead of sucking+loving between hunts. Like "if u aren't moving the big boulders after the sun goes down you'll never get anywhere in life" weirdos

I actually really like my job, but I know that's super rare. I'd be super bored if I were retired, because while obviously I can do all sorts of other things, none of them give me the "intellectual stimulation" my job does.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/le_shipster/status/1564714692915990528

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

actionjackson posted:

I actually really like my job, but I know that's super rare. I'd be super bored if I were retired, because while obviously I can do all sorts of other things, none of them give me the "intellectual stimulation" my job does.

la di dah, big shot at the dick sucking factory over here

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

FlapYoJacks posted:

Imagine paying 6 figures for a loving Jeep lmfao.

my dad drove jeeps when I was going up

We had a grand wagoneer (the breaking bad one with the wood paneling lol) and a comanche. My dad was always doing work on those things lol. the loving drive shaft fell out of the wagoneer one day when we were driving over the train tracks by our house. Fortunately my step mom forced him to sell them and buy an accord.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

that's literally half my total mortgage lol

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Twerk from Home posted:

The Jeep Wrangler is the best selling plug-in hybrid vehicle in the country, by a mile.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/the-jeep-wrangler-4xe-was-americas-best-selling-plug-in-hybrid-in-2022

It goes less than half as far per kWh as pretty much any other EV, and gets less than 20mpg highway driven with gas.

"electric cars will save us" lmao

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

100k jeep owners must be the dumbest buying segment in the market. make way too much, still go into insane debt for an American shitbox. at least apple vr buyers don’t have to spend the equivalent of a modest Midwest house to show their rear end.

I actually drove past the Chrysler headquarters this morning and looked it up to be sure: still one of the largest buildings in the entire world by floor space lol

double edit: I’m actually shocked the renaissance center is also on that list too. why the gently caress is anyone building new commercial real estate in this region, we have plenty to go around.

meanolmrcloud has issued a correction as of 18:49 on Jul 3, 2023

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Thinking about the guy on the radio who listened to a symphony about climate change and was so inspired that bought a new Tesla

lol npr listeners

Apr 7, 2003

meanolmrcloud posted:

I actually drove past the Chrysler headquarters this morning and looked it up to be sure: still one of the largest buildings in the entire world by floor space lol

lol

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gunshow Poophole posted:

none of the plug in hybrids have tons of range. My Prius prime can only do 40 miles on full EV mode. Their use case is that it’s an electric vehicle for a short commute and then a gas vehicle afterwards.

I think it’s a dumb idea for something like a jeep, of course but if you were commuting with one for 20 miles per day then it’s as good as any other EV.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

That Works posted:

none of the plug in hybrids have tons of range. My Prius prime can only do 40 miles on full EV mode. Their use case is that it’s an electric vehicle for a short commute and then a gas vehicle afterwards.

I think it’s a dumb idea for something like a jeep, of course but if you were commuting with one for 20 miles per day then it’s as good as any other EV.

No it's not, because it uses way more electricity and thus way more energy than most other EVs.

Is the electric Hummer good? It's an EV, right? It weighs more than 9000 pounds and takes three times as much electricity to move as something like a Tesla Y or Ford Mach E.

https://www.inverse.com/input/tech/gmc-hummer-ev-carbon-dioxide-emissions-electric-truck

quote:

Chevy Malibu, for example, produces about 320 grams of carbon dioxide per mile driven. The new Hummer EV, which weighs in at just over 9,000 pounds, emits approximately 341 grams of CO2 per mile driven, based on average global power grid consumption. A combination of general inefficiency and vehicle size essentially renders GMC’s Hummer worse for climate change than your typical sedan.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Google and Youtube search is gonna be sponsored links only eventually.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Twerk from Home posted:

No it's not, because it uses way more electricity and thus way more energy than most other EVs.

Is the electric Hummer good? It's an EV, right? It weighs more than 9000 pounds and takes three times as much electricity to move as something like a Tesla Y or Ford Mach E.

https://www.inverse.com/input/tech/gmc-hummer-ev-carbon-dioxide-emissions-electric-truck

OP was criticizing the lack of range for a PHEV vs a pure EV which is apples / oranges as they serve different purposes.

And yes, I literally said its dumb for a jeep, for the weight reasons you point out.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

the wagoneer can't even hit 20mpg lmao

they should throw a hellcat engine in one to cap off this era of destructive excess

Apr 7, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Thinkin' bout dat fourth power law and that bridge collapse last month

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Napkin math says it has less than 1500 lbs payload capacity.

The Ford Maverick costs $22k, weighs 3,600 lbs, gets 42 MPG in the city, and has 1,500 lbs payload capacity in all trims.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-ford-maverick-towing-hauling/

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Napkin math says it has less than 1500 lbs payload capacity.

The Ford Maverick costs $22k, weighs 3,600 lbs, gets 42 MPG in the city, and has 1,500 lbs payload capacity in all trims.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-ford-maverick-towing-hauling/

lmao

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/h...es/202307030071

quote:

Maternal deaths across the U.S. more than doubled over the course of two decades, and the tragedy unfolded unequally.

Black mothers died at the nation’s highest rates, while the largest increases in deaths were found in American Indian and Native Alaskan mothers. And some states — and racial or ethnic groups within them – fared worse than others.

The findings were laid out in a new study published Monday in the Journal of the American Medical Association. Researchers looked at maternal deaths between 1999 and 2019 — but not the pandemic spike — for every state and five racial and ethnic groups.

Overall, they found rampant, widening disparities. The study showed high rates of maternal mortality aren't confined to the South but also extend to regions like the Midwest and states such as Wyoming and Montana, which had high rates for multiple racial and ethnic groups in 2019.

Researchers also found dramatic jumps when they compared maternal mortality in the first decade of the study to the second, and identified the five states with the largest increases between those decades. Those increases exceeded:

• 162% for American Indian and Alaska Native mothers in Florida, Illinois, Kansas, Rhode Island and Wisconsin;

• 135% for white mothers in Georgia, Indiana, Louisiana, Missouri and Tennessee;

• 105% for Hispanic mothers in Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and Tennessee;

• 93% for Black mothers in Arkansas, Georgia, Louisiana, New Jersey and Texas;

• 83% for Asian and Pacific Islander mothers in Georgia, Illinois, Kansas, Michigan and Missouri.

Even when you don't take the pandemic into account, poor American mothers die at shocking rates and those rates are going up.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Found out local bakery sells old bread for 10€ per grocery bag. Went out today and bought 25 rye bread and put it into freezer. A very good deal in these trying times.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

is that a nazi flag ? holy hell

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Jevon's Paradox strikes again.

euphronius posted:

is that a nazi flag ? holy hell

Gotta appeal to the truckfucklers.

I actually saw someone still doing the pickup truck trump flag thing in LA. Hopefully a gig driver had an extra pee bottle for him.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Lmao at the roads of america buckling and shattering under the weight of millions of 10,000 lb chud EVs

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Actual size, right? Otherwise, not impressed with that price tag.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

StratGoatCom posted:

https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1675558789171298304

drat, poo poo really is spinning out, they're throwing every bit of pop culture future nonsense at the wall.

For some reason it's made with titanium instead of carbon fiber

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Crazypoops posted:

For some reason it's made with titanium instead of carbon fiber

They learnt from recent sea trials.

*car immediately explodes at 10,000 ft for no reason*

Those poor (figuratively) billionaires.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

What does it portend for the economy when recreational entertainment is imploding?

https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/1674407662250004480
https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/1674407665785782273

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Baldur’s Gate 3 will save us, Starfield is a trap

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

this implosion is due to a series of massive buyouts to grow the company with record low interest rates i think. embracer mysteriously purchased like 20502130510 studios and IPs in like 2018-2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

anime was right posted:

this implosion is due to a series of massive buyouts to grow the company with record low interest rates i think. embracer mysteriously purchased like 20502130510 studios and IPs in like 2018-2020

yup. Embracer is an equity holding co and bought up a zillion indie and med size studios the past several years. check out their Wikipedia page of acquisitions, it’s wild.

there was no way they were ever going to recoup profits on those acquisitions so I have no idea what their game plans is/was besides sucking up gazillions from ZIRP

if anyone was a board game nerd like me, you’d know Asmodee went around buying up tons of small time games and game production places. then Embracer bought Asmodee last year which is kind of insane. Asmodee loving sucks dick too, just giant monsters ripping everyone off

I’m phone posting or I’d put a screen grabs

Xaris has issued a correction as of 20:34 on Jul 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

anime was right posted:

The comparison was to Embracer's collapse, wasn't it? Not necessarily the reasons behind the collapse. Is TinyBuild also an active acquirer?