Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Guavanaut posted:

Netflix is doing two Narnia movies, they should CGI her into that.
Nobody under 60 gives a crap about Narnia, stop trying to make it happen, Hollywood.

Edit: Whitney Houston's 'I Wanna Dance With Somebody' topped the charts in 1987.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not especially interested in narnia but tilda swinton playing the white witch was one of the best casting decisions ever.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Just look at them :allears:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
What's new about them?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

upcycled conservatives

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

keep punching joe posted:

What's new about them?

They will happily say out loud they would watch a kid starve to death.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the guy behind 30p Lee looks like a cardboard cutout

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Guavanaut posted:

Netflix is doing two Narnia movies, they should CGI her into that.

White Witch? Raaacist!

She is 100% a Roald Dahl villain who escaped into reality though.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

fuctifino posted:

Just look at them :allears:

Those furthest from Anderson seem happiest.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I feel like reading that article about how cameras and lack of local community make people's brains go wrong again, but I can just log into nextdoor instead.

domhal posted:

Those furthest from Anderson seem happiest.
Yes, they're even further right than he is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is quite impressive how anderson has achieved :whitewater: irl

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He has John Lennon's Imagine playing in his head non stop.

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion, too
Imagine all the people
Livin' life in peace

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He looks like more evil derek acorah.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

He looks like he's about to compete in the stare off in Big Train.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

kecske posted:

the guy behind 30p Lee looks like a cardboard cutout

We have finally achieved Compressed Chris Addison, we have removed his characteristic height and made him look more like if George Osbourne was even pricktastic-er.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Payndz posted:

Nobody under 60 gives a crap about Narnia, stop trying to make it happen, Hollywood.

Edit: Whitney Houston's 'I Wanna Dance With Somebody' topped the charts in 1987.

I remember watching the Prince Caspian adaption made in 2008ish and they were very obviously aiming at the Lotr market, with huge, epic cgi battles, which is very much what Narnia was never about.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes but what it was actually about was stealth marketing christianity so maybe it would be better if it were about big fights.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
My mum in her 80s has been a ransomware victim and ponied up £400 to a 'very helpful firm' whose contact number was on the 'blob on the screen' that stopped her using her laptop last week when I was on holiday last week :rollyeyes:. I said why didn't you phone me first? She said "I didn't know where you were"- hello, mother, it's a MOBILE phone for a reason!

I get my mum's email (she gets her own - but I also get it on thunderbird so I can keep an eye out and noticed it this evening).
I phoned the company who had the audacity to send her a feedback email with a phone number on it - couldn't tell from google whether they were definitely scammers or not though I thought they probably were, so I called them up. "IT World" is the company. She almost certainly clicked on an email purporting to be from someone she knows with a link in it (I didn't have my laptop with me when I was away so wasn't able to intercept it)

The bloke sounded very nervous when I said I was ringing on behalf of my elderly mother and I wanted to know exactly what service he had done for her. He reckons they've installed a firewall on it and she's paid £400 for 2 years.

I suspect there's no chance of her getting the money back, dad got scammed out of £250 a few years ago by one of those "I'm calling from Windows leave your computer on all afternoon so we can fix it if you pay us £250" phone calls and the credit card company said "well you got what you paid for - you left it on all afternoon and the computer was ok afterwards".

Anyway, I've contacted someone I know & trust who can give her laptop a thorough check out.

Just thank goodness she doesn't do internet banking!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

How many times have they tried to make Narnia a film franchise now?

I read all those books when I was a very young kid and a lot of the heavy-handed Christian symbolism went right over my head for the most part, and I still thought they were a bit poo poo.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'm with Tolkien on the Narnia books. The heavy handed Christian allegory is poo poo and distasteful, and that the worldbuilding was also poo poo because Santa would never co-exist in the same universe as Fauns.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm with Tolkien on the Narnia books. The heavy handed Christian allegory is poo poo and distasteful, and that the worldbuilding was also poo poo because Santa would never co-exist in the same universe as Fauns.

Unless it's discworld.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

History Comes Inside! posted:

How many times have they tried to make Narnia a film franchise now?

I read all those books when I was a very young kid and a lot of the heavy-handed Christian symbolism went right over my head for the most part, and I still thought they were a bit poo poo.

I remember being about 10 and reading "The Last Battle" in bed, and it really spooked me.
So I went downstairs - mum was away and dad let me watch tv with him.
He was watching a film about Joan of Arc and she was getting burned at the stake. Ho hum!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I seem to remember The Last Battle being really racist as well, with a weird Mohammed allegorical character (I think it was a donkey dressed in a Lion skin or something).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Yes but what it was actually about was stealth marketing christianity so maybe it would be better if it were about big fights.
Or maybe go whole hog and just do the bible as lotr, Samson fighting the Philistines in a barrel.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The Lion Witch Wardrobe is fine as it goes. The rest of them are turgid dogshit

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My mum in her 80s has been a ransomware victim and ponied up £400 to a 'very helpful firm' whose contact number was on the 'blob on the screen' that stopped her using her laptop last week when I was on holiday last week :rollyeyes:.
I always figure when someone actually pays out to one of those companies, their details probably go on a 'holy poo poo it worked' list and your poor mam is going to be bombarded with every scam in existence and ransomwared roughly once a week.

Like those old lottery-by-post scams that used to go round, where if you even responded to one of them you'd get a couple hundred mailed to you from that point on.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

The 70s? cartoon was a thing that got played a lot when I was young. I could believe that was a lot of the nostalgia / brand recognition that got all the movies kicked off.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The best thing I ever read about Narnia was when someone calculated how much the water pressure would be forced into Narnia be if you threw the wardrobe and let it sink to the bottom of the Mariana Trench.
Which I could find it, but it would totally kill everything there.

Not sure if it also did how long it would take to drain the seas.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Like those old lottery-by-post scams that used to go round, where if you even responded to one of them you'd get a couple hundred mailed to you from that point on.

That was my dad :( such a trusting man, he used to say "people don't lie". :smdh:

When he died, we found the back of his wardrobe stuffed with 100s of bars of soap etc that he had paid £32 a piece for because if you buy one "you will be entered into a lottery to win £20000 - there's a cheque in your name waiting."

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Meanwhile, in other news:

https://twitter.com/JournalistRos/status/1675868499078512644?s=20

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Even without checking I can tell that tweet is a TBEU post.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Even without checking I can tell that tweet is a TBEU post.

Ah drat fell for it again ;)
Wondered why her name was spelt funny.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The joke is that "I have information which will lead to the arrest of hillary clinton" is a meme, with the implication that people tweet it right before they turn up dead.

I primarily associate it as beginning with epstein but tbh it sounds like a trump tweet from 2016 that got applied to him.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

The joke is that "I have information which will lead to the arrest of hillary clinton" is a meme, with the implication that people tweet it right before they turn up dead.

I primarily associate it as beginning with epstein but tbh it sounds like a trump tweet from 2016 that got applied to him.

Thanks for explaining.
I'm still learning about TBEU etc! :corsair:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's the dark mirror to the Louise Mensch 'pro-life and take no pleasure in reporting this' tweet.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm enjoying the faux anti-corbyn "Jess has been accused of racism, and must apologise, and also apologise for saying that she isn't racist and that this is a smear" tweets.

happyhippy posted:

The best thing I ever read about Narnia was when someone calculated how much the water pressure would be forced into Narnia be if you threw the wardrobe and let it sink to the bottom of the Mariana Trench.
Which I could find it, but it would totally kill everything there.

Not sure if it also did how long it would take to drain the seas.

The billionaires and the wardrobe.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Why can't Kief do this with his supposed international humanitarian hat on?

https://twitter.com/CrispinBlunt/status/1675963124556374016?s=20

and this is Labour's LFI spokes on the BDS

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1675943794561236997?s=20

Lots of interesting bits posted by Saul Staniforth on the debate if you're interested.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 3, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Nazis also banned smoking indoors, just like New Labour did.

I am intelligent.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That was my dad :( such a trusting man, he used to say "people don't lie". :smdh:

When he died, we found the back of his wardrobe stuffed with 100s of bars of soap etc that he had paid £32 a piece for because if you buy one "you will be entered into a lottery to win £20000 - there's a cheque in your name waiting."

My mam has had it burned into her brain to just not open emails from people she doesn't recognise. To the point where I probably went too far but at least she won't accidentally end up impoverished.

In primary school if it was raining at break time we'd all pile to the gym hall to sit around a small CRT to watch either a Narnia adaptation or The Borrowers so I've developed a lifelong aversion to both properties. Just boring shite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I only ever read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and I'm a bit suspicious of anybody that claims to have read any of the others TBH.

I was really excited the first time I found Turkish Delight for sale because the book made it out to be so delicious, and at my young age I assumed it was either something old-timey no longer available or just entirely invented. Well, it turns out it's real but it's dogshit, thanks for the disappointment C. S. Lewis :mad: