Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Heran Bago posted:

TotK:
- You must use the Early Access version of Yuzu. You don't have to pay to use it, but you are supposed to. It's getting updates almost daily.
- You really want to have the recent Steam OS 3.5 Update. I think there are some important SMT changes.
- shader compilation will make the first couple minutes in an area a bit rough. The game gets smoother the more you play.
- there are several mods to help performance.
- Powertools can also help with performance
- Can't slam amiibo onto controller to make it rain fish and meat. Gyro works though.
- Rare crashes.
- graphical glitches with some 2D elements like fused weapon icons

Any YouTube tutorials made in the last couple weeks are getting really good performance. Looks smoother than on the switch imo.
I'm playing it on PC because I couldn't find a nice way to sync the save between PC and Deck. I guess sync thing but ehhh. For me the better frame rate is a fair tradeoff for the dreaded shader compilation stutter and crash risk, but that's not for everyone. One particular area was crashy, but it's been very stable for me otherwise.

Yeah just about.
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Controller:DualSense#Games_with_adaptive_trigger_and_haptic_feedback_support

I understand the desire to never use the Switch again, but this is way too much effort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It is hard. Stop trolling. Fly away

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Parker Lewis posted:

UnderMine checked all of my boxes for Steam Deck indie games:
I endorse this post, Undermine's a great little roguelike

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Quantum of Phallus posted:

sounds like i'll just keep playing it on switch

No! Just do 20 things and wait while it gets smoother!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Upsidads posted:

No! Just do 20 things and wait while it gets smoother!

I mean,those 20 things save me carrying a second Console around, sooooooo

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm just pointing out the current bleeding-edge state of TotK on the Deck, not advocating it.
It's neat that it works as well as it does, and that there are more ways for people to enjoy the game. :shobon:

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

I'm just pointing out the current bleeding-edge state of TotK on the Deck, not advocating it.
It's neat that it works as well as it does, and that there are more ways for people to enjoy the game. :shobon:

All good, thanks for putting that together. I was curious where things were at.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ZIGfried posted:

Haven't seen anyone mention Brotato in the last few pages. A better version of vampire survivors imo. Game is 5 bucks at full price and currently on sale. There are 32 unique characters that all encourage different styles of gameplay. Waves are no more than 2 minutes long so you're never far from a natural stopping point. I had over 70 hours in early access just beating it with every character on the hardest difficulty. Game just came out of early access and has 5 new characters so I'm back to it for a little bit. Anyone looking for a cheap, deck friendly, addictive, easy to pick up game should check it out.

Yeah I like Brotato better than VS for those reasons. And also I find the bloopy water sounds relaxing.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
As much as I like my Steam Deck, I just play Switch games on Switch. I’ve never been happy with the quality of the emulation even on my big PC with a 5800X3D and 3080 in it. There are few enough true exclusives on it that it isn’t that much of a hardship, though my launch model is sounding real wheezy now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I mean, I own a Switch, so I'd really only emulate just to gently caress around with it, but it's not like BotW didn't run like dogshit as it was. Going out into the great fields and watching a herd of animals pop into existence one at a time from twenty feet away was pretty funny.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I mean,those 20 things save me carrying a second Console around, sooooooo

You are allowed to leave the Deck at home if you’re playing a game on the Switch. You don’t have to carry it with you always. It won’t run away.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You are allowed to leave the Deck at home if you’re playing a game on the Switch. You don’t have to carry it with you always. It won’t run away.

You don't know that

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that one goon had to keep their Steam Deck with them at all times because it otherwise may have committed arson and burned their home to the ground. You never know what they are capable of.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If I don't take it,the wife will play Sims 4 forever

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

people really do come here just to embarrass themselves it's wild. yeah let me pirate or rom dump the game and also pirate or pay for an early access emulator hahahahah are you loving kidding me.

I'd much rather give money to the emulator developers than Nintendo at this point to be honest, but I don't so I just use the current public release.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

If I don't take it,the wife will play Sims 4 forever
Good reminder that the deck is currently up to 20% off during the sale, buy your loved ones something cool and you can sit close ignoring each other together <3

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ragequit posted:

Yeah that one goon had to keep their Steam Deck with them at all times because it otherwise may have committed arson and burned their home to the ground. You never know what they are capable of.

me just out and about with my deck

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Picked up:

Do Not Feed the Monkeys 2099 - The first is on sale and worth it, I beat that one on the Deck. It's a bit like Curse of the Gold Idol but with less Obra Dinn influence

Craftopia - Someone in this thread mentioned it as a good Deck game, it looks fun and goofy and I can excuse jank

Hoa - Platformer that takes influence from Ghibli, something I can play with the kids.

Mr. Sun's Hatbox, Nobody Saves the World, Griftlands, Halls of Torment, Momodora all games I've heard are good on the Deck and were on sale. I picked up Wreckfest but not sure how great that runs on the deck

now I wait for updates on my RMA

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm in a completionist mood; Is there a website that I can put my steam username/profile into and it can tell me what games in my library I can get full achievements for the fastest? I don't think there's any game on my profile that I've 100% completed (achievement-wise).

I know these don't matter for a bunch of you, that's fine. They don't matter a whole lot for me, but dammit I want to clear out a bunch of them :argh:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Even better, There's a deck plug in called for How Long to Beat: https://steamdecklife.com/2022/10/29/how-long-to-beat-steam-deck-plugin/

You can also get that info on https://howlongtobeat.com/ if you don't want to use the plugin.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 3, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s funny how hostile switch people get when it’s shown it’s not actually that hard to replicate their machine

It’s not really hostile so much as tempering expectations in the face of weird nerd optimism, there’s been plenty of disappointed “I was told it could emulate the switch perfectly but it runs like poo poo” experiences.

More to the point, it’s weird that you’d assume hostility from posters who clearly have both devices so would have absolutely no reason at all to be protective about the differences between them. Other people being able to play switch games without a switch isn’t exactly something to get salty about when you could do exactly the same thing since you also have a deck.

It’d be cool as gently caress if my deck could play all my switch games flawlessly, but it can’t, so good thing I still have my switch I guess.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s not really hostile so much as tempering expectations in the face of weird nerd optimism, there’s been plenty of disappointed “I was told it could emulate the switch perfectly but it runs like poo poo” experiences.

More to the point, it’s weird that you’d assume hostility from posters who clearly have both devices so would have absolutely no reason at all to be protective about the differences between them. Other people being able to play switch games without a switch isn’t exactly something to get salty about when you could do exactly the same thing since you also have a deck.

It’d be cool as gently caress if my deck could play all my switch games flawlessly, but it can’t, so good thing I still have my switch I guess.

You’re replying to one of the biggest, sloppiest trolls on the board. Hit ignore and move on

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

SilkyP posted:

Hitman world of assassination is such a great deck game.

drat it's $70 with no summer sale discount.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Atoramos posted:

Hoa - Platformer that takes influence from Ghibli, something I can play with the kids.

disappointed that this isn't an interactive home owners association simulator where you try to spot people painting their mailbox the wrong color

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

chunkles posted:

disappointed that this isn't an interactive home owners association simulator where you try to spot people painting their mailbox the wrong color

Hard to compete with Nextdoor

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Just bought Trails to Azure (for the third time :v:) and it works perfectly on the Deck out of the box. It even has an option to use Steam Deck button prompts (and... Google Stadia for some reason :confused:)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Mescal posted:

The only Switch game I wanna play is Smash Bros, and I haven't bothered because it would have to run flawlessly, and I'm sure it won't. Am I wrong?

What did you buy on this sale that you're liking? I've got no patience for learning a game right now, so I'm leaning toward Wreckfest. Castle crashers is only a couple bucks. Vanquish is 70% off but idk if it's good. Potato flowers and The Void Rains on on the wishlist as well, and Halls of Torment. Wooden Ocean is five bucks. Probably not great on Deck. I might end up grabbing good ol' Elastomania, which isn't on sale, but I sank countless hours into it as a kid and I'd do it again. Powerwash and Pizza Tower, we'll put those off until the next sale because I just have a feeling I won't be in the mood for them soon.

Edit: They painted the back of the buttons, cool.

i picked up wreckfest, ghost recon breakpoint (might refund depending on how it plays when its installed), NUTS, and hotshot racing.

I like NUTS so far and the full completion thing is only 3.5hrs, the only problem is i think its supposed to be fun but my brain is infested with analogue horror so i keep expecting to see loving squirrel slenderman in the distance and it is low key ruining it for me

Wreckfest seems to have a bug where it isn't saving my colour palettes for cars? It's fun other than that though.

I keep going back to Sifu, Sky Rogue, Superflight, and GoNNER though...

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Re: modding; i sketched out a new more capable architecture yesterday so im hoping to sprint through a rewrite (it's very simple software tbh) and have something presentable soon? Nexus support is going to be more involved (but still kind of simple TBH) but what I am dreading most is the user interface part of the whole thing :ohdear:

user interface design and creation and debugging and testing sucks so ridiculously hard. I did look into making it a decky loader plugin but having to deal with React makes me want to stick pins in places they shouldn't be

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s funny how hostile switch people get when it’s shown it’s not actually that hard to replicate their machine
I don't really care that people play TotK on a Deck. It's impressive that it works acceptably well, even.

But I can already play TotK portably, it's the stuff I can't play portably otherwise--including a number of console Zeldas--that I'm more interested in.

sigher posted:

I'd much rather give money to the emulator developers than Nintendo at this point to be honest, but I don't so I just use the current public release.
I'd give bonus points to someone using their launch model Switch to dump their legitimately purchased copy of TotK to emulate, but Nintendo considers that just as unlawful as outright piracy and, unfortunately, they're probably right. So, yeah, whatever.

If you want to get all morals about it then emulating TotK is arguably immortal since you're still contributing to the conversation of a title published by a company that's very emulation unfriendly, but whatever.

Also I bought three copies of TotK at an average price of $54.99 so I'm one to talk.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'd love to play Switch games on my Deck so I wouldn't have to choose between it or the Switch but it's just not good enough for most games.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hopper posted:

Even better, There's a deck plug in called for How Long to Beat: https://steamdecklife.com/2022/10/29/how-long-to-beat-steam-deck-plugin/

You can also get that info on https://howlongtobeat.com/ if you don't want to use the plugin.

Not quite what I'm looking for; I'm specifically referring to achievements.

For example, I have 500+ hours in GTA Online and have 17/70 achievements. While I'm having a blast, I doubt I'll be marking it 100% completed, achievement-wise, any time soon. I'd love to be able to pick a game in my library and have the achievements 100% completed quickly. It's not that important, but it's weird that I've had a steam account for almost 20 years now, as well as an XBL account for about 15, and have a grand total of 2 games with all achievements gotten. And they were both on 360.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 4, 2023

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

pseudorandom name posted:

Jeff just spent several hours experiencing total joy playing Mars First Logistics.

Jesus, this game is amazing. Picked it up when I saw this post and it works great on deck. It's Lego and Kerbal and Nuts and Bolts and I can't wait for more content.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Not quite what I'm looking for; I'm specifically referring to achievements.

For example, I have 500+ hours in GTA Online and have 17/70 achievements. While I'm having a blast, I doubt I'll be marking it 100% completed, achievement-wise, any time soon. I'd love to be able to pick a game in my library and have the achievements 100% completed quickly. It's not that important, but it's weird that I've had a steam account for almost 20 years now, as well as an XBL account for about 15, and have a grand total of 2 games with all achievements gotten. And they were both on 360.

I don't think there's any tool for estimating time to complete achievements, as it'd require someone to time each one and record the data.

I'm pretty sure the HLTB stats are based off of total playtime for completed saves or something, so they can get a general idea that way.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Steamhunters, probably? Though I'm not sure if that's still active

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Sorry for the excessive joystick touch sensor grip posts, this should hopefully be my last one. I figured out that the stick sensor stops working with grips not randomly like I thought, but only when/if the stick is pushed up (basically any angle above horizontal.) All other directions and it still works perfectly. Does anyone know of any settings in the deck, built in shortcuts or hotkeys, rycshortcuts, etc, that may be tied to or activated by pushing the stick up? I didn't see anything in controller settings but it's the last thing I can think of to troubleshoot

Edit: hmmm my phone autocorrects deck to switch.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

emulating TotK is arguably immortal

:black101:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There can be only one!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

people really do come here just to embarrass themselves it's wild. yeah let me pirate or rom dump the game and also pirate or pay for an early access emulator hahahahah are you loving kidding me.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Get this,not only do I use my Steamdeck to play Switch Games,I also use it to play my PS5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

play what, the menus?