Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

The Sir Captain Tom Moore Memorial Spa Resort in my garden is raising a lot of questions regarding my grifting that are already answered by etc. etc.
"I feel like they're an important part of my father, like his lungs which I also filled with water for my own rest and relaxation."

e: cat tax

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jul 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

forkboy84 posted:

In this essay I explain why The Chronicles of Narnia are idolatry and Lewis is in hell for his sins...

Is that one of Tolkiens letters?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Magician's Nephew was the best one. Silver Chair was also quite good, and the TV version had Tom Baker which is always a treat.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Liking Narnia can help appreciate other fantasy a lot more eg Magicians

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Marmaduke! posted:

Liking Narnia can help appreciate other fantasy a lot more eg Magicians

I've never actually read the Narnia books, but I watched a full season of the magicians and it was fine but then out of nowhere they had to drink some god sperm and there was a full on rape scene so Narnia must be really REALLY bad.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Chronicles of Narnia are just extremely blatant Christian propaganda. Famously when CS Lewis asked JRR Tolkien to proofread The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, Tolkien's note was just "this is patronisingly obviously a New Testament allegory"

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Only thing I know about Narnia is it has some kind of magical wardrobe in it and the Lion is Jesus.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

The Chronicles of Narnia are just extremely blatant Christian propaganda. Famously when CS Lewis asked JRR Tolkien to proofread The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, Tolkien's note was just "this is patronisingly obviously a New Testament allegory"

I like to imagine that c s lewis is why tolkein hated being accused of allegory :v:

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I hope they name Captain Tom's spa and retreat 'Gold Beach'
*claps*

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

smellmycheese posted:

Lol. This lot should get a special OBE for Top Grade Grifting

we all knew this was happening so i wonder who they pissed off to make the news in a bad way

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/BenRamanauskas/status/1676147396978302977?t=X7glJXRBviYByfW7R2Us1w&s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

crispix posted:

we all knew this was happening so i wonder who they pissed off to make the news in a bad way

Aye, they forced him to go to West Indies at the peak of the pandemic in order to get a free holiday and then he died from the plague, this seems hardly news that they are amoral grifters

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Miftan posted:

I've never actually read the Narnia books, but I watched a full season of the magicians and it was fine but then out of nowhere they had to drink some god sperm and there was a full on rape scene so Narnia must be really REALLY bad.

I think that's called going Old Testament

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the charity pool will be used for disadvantaged children and injured war veterans*

*only available on tuesdays 11 - 12 with access up several flights of stairs and through the labyrinth (and actual minotaur)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jul/04/food-bank-use-uk-military-poverty-personal-budgeting-johnny-mercer

Johnny Mercer is doing the Drake meme no for making troops face warcrimes repercussions. And the Drake meme yes for making troops use food banks because pay can't keep up with inflation

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

In honour of Sir Captain Tom the minotaur uses a walker.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

"Mercer said the use of food banks was a matter of personal budgeting and that being in the military came with a good wage and quality of life."

I mean.. he's not even trying to lie

Meanwhile:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jun/13/campaigners-urge-london-food-banks-to-end-use-of-face-scans
"Provide passport for food plz"

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

So the whole “woke banks are taking away my accounts because I’m a racist” thing is all bollocks. Farage is just skint

https://twitter.com/bbcsimonjack/status/1676161715526836225?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

These motherfuckers earn in the 95th percentile even ignoring all the subsidies they get on housing and other poo poo and think they can talk about budgeting.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Mega Comrade posted:

Only thing I know about Narnia is it has some kind of magical wardrobe in it and the Lion is Jesus.

The only thing I actually remember from the book is that the kids grow up in Narnia but then return to Earth and become kids again, which means they'll go through puberty twice.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

If you enter, exit and re-enter the closet, does that make you trisexual? A Frog?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I mean Lucy went in and out of that closet multiple times.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jedit posted:

Maybe not quite that far, but it's definitely a dog whistle for "got interested in boys and wanted to look pretty".

Darn, y'all making this book sound so interesting now, I might have to re-read it as an adult.

Tesseraction posted:

Reminds me watching that old metropolis (1927) film with my dad as a kid, he said "you know quite well what this is don't you" - yeah Christian allegory.
Can't remember the ins and outs now but I think the son interceded with the boss and saved the workers or something.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jul 4, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

These motherfuckers earn in the 95th percentile even ignoring all the subsidies they get on housing and other poo poo and think they can talk about budgeting.
Also it ignores (on purpose) any part of society larger than the individual. If all these veterans are suddenly personally deciding to use food banks, why Johnny? Why did they decide to do that.

Zero sociological imagination.

Reveilled posted:

The only thing I actually remember from the book is that the kids grow up in Narnia but then return to Earth and become kids again, which means they'll go through puberty twice.
Woke authors giving young children powerful puberty lockers.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jul/04/food-bank-use-uk-military-poverty-personal-budgeting-johnny-mercer

Johnny Mercer is doing the Drake meme no for making troops face warcrimes repercussions. And the Drake meme yes for making troops use food banks because pay can't keep up with inflation

SMH at the troops these days. The Praetorian Guard would have installed a new emperor long before it got this bad (for them).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TACD posted:

I was really excited the first time I found Turkish Delight for sale because the book made it out to be so delicious, and at my young age I assumed it was either something old-timey no longer available or just entirely invented. Well, it turns out it's real but it's dogshit, thanks for the disappointment C. S. Lewis :mad:

I hear this constantly from Americans :shobon: Come on now, it's good stuff, especially the chocolate coated kind. Going to have to go out and rage buy some Fry's now.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I used to work with a Turkish woman and she'd bring some back after visiting home. If it's got nuts in it's heavenly.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

lol

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

Tolkien's note was just "this is patronisingly obviously a New Testament allegory"
To which Lewis' response was "fuk u im adding a santa"

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jul 4, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Reminds me watching that old metropolis (1927) film with my dad as a kid, he said "you know quite well what this is don't you" - yeah Christian allegory.
Can't remember the ins and outs now but I think the son interceded with the boss and saved the workers or something.
I thought it was supposed to be a demsoc allegory.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Diet Crack posted:

If you enter, exit and re-enter the closet, does that make you trisexual? A Frog?
I remember this bit from Tomb Of Horrors.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Diet Crack posted:

It's Narnia Business :colbert:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

I thought it was supposed to be a demsoc allegory.

My dad saw many things through the 'christian allegory' angle.
I always joked his list of importance was:

jesus
god
tolkien

Debating where to put mum in that list. Prob between God & Tolkien.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

smellmycheese posted:

So the whole “woke banks are taking away my accounts because I’m a racist” thing is all bollocks. Farage is just skint

https://twitter.com/bbcsimonjack/status/1676161715526836225?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Always forget that the family who own this bank are so rich that their surname is literally 'Money'.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Letting agency contacted us monday, declaring they were gonna come by wednesday to take photos and have a viewing.
I told them the apartment isn't in a great state for that, since we live there and weren't expecting the landlord to start viewings two months before the end of the tenancy. They just served notice, after asking for a £500 a month rent increase which we told them to gently caress off with.
Letting agency said okay we'll move to Friday, are you in?
We're not. I work full time, so does my partner.
Letting agency went "oh no problem we have a key"

So now I wrote a sternly worded email that access to the property without our consent is trespass (access clauses, according to Shelter and Various Websites do not automatically override that except for repairs or emergencies), that we do not want strangers in our home without us being there, and that we have a right to quiet enjoyment.
I'm arranging to WfH on Friday and consenting to the viewing then, because I bet they'd do it anyway. I also asked that in future they ask the current tenants what times are suitable before arranging viewings with third parties.

The goddamn cheek.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Tesseraction posted:

In honour of Sir Captain Tom the minotaur uses a walker.

Tbf he was in the original labyrinth like 3000 years ago or summat, he's getting on.

Also sorry but Turkish Delight is grim. Horrid stuff.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

How long will this policy/mission/pledge last?

With Keith, every media cycle has its own manifesto.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ms Adequate posted:

Also sorry but Turkish Delight is grim. Horrid stuff.

Miftan-tier opinion.

Both Fry's and the real poo poo are phenomenal.

Best brand is Hadji Bey (mostly only in Cork or around Ireland but I think it's in Harrods now)

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Lunar Suite posted:

Letting agency contacted us monday, declaring they were gonna come by wednesday to take photos and have a viewing.
I told them the apartment isn't in a great state for that, since we live there and weren't expecting the landlord to start viewings two months before the end of the tenancy. They just served notice, after asking for a £500 a month rent increase which we told them to gently caress off with.
Letting agency said okay we'll move to Friday, are you in?
We're not. I work full time, so does my partner.
Letting agency went "oh no problem we have a key"

So now I wrote a sternly worded email that access to the property without our consent is trespass (access clauses, according to Shelter and Various Websites do not automatically override that except for repairs or emergencies), that we do not want strangers in our home without us being there, and that we have a right to quiet enjoyment.
I'm arranging to WfH on Friday and consenting to the viewing then, because I bet they'd do it anyway. I also asked that in future they ask the current tenants what times are suitable before arranging viewings with third parties.

The goddamn cheek.

You could always welcome them in your underpants and have the goatman playing on your big screen TV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I thought I didn't like Turkish delight until I tried something other than Fry's. Just like I thought I didn't like whisky until I tried something other than Bell's.

Z the IVth posted:

You could always welcome them in your underpants and have the goatman playing on your big screen TV?

And ask the agent when they're going to make it so the toilets don't flush into the sink.