Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Saltpowered posted:

Is the “radical middle” anything more than “gently caress you, got mine” Republicans without being Pro-Life?

You can be pro-life, as long as you're not too gross about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

genericnick posted:

You can be pro-life, as long as you're not too gross about it.

I’m an experienced life knower and I don’t rate it, frankly.

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

mawarannahr posted:

are there any differences between self built and corporate built homes for design and materials? like, are walls thicker in the average self-built/designed home?

Wtf are U talking about

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

Saltpowered posted:

Is the “radical middle” anything more than “gently caress you, got mine” Republicans without being Pro-Life?

It’s “fiscally conservative, socially liberal”

Basically Joe Rogan

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

mawarannahr posted:

are there any differences between self built and corporate built homes for design and materials? like, are walls thicker in the average self-built/designed home?

corporations are going to do the bare minimum to comply with building code, but in california for example, the building code for new constructions is now heavily focused on energy efficiency and specific high-efficiency oriented strand board sheeting, house wraps, sidings, insulation, etc are all mandated by code whether you're trying to cheap out or not

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the assumption is that everyone who doesn't vote wants something that is exactly between the two parties, which is what the democrats have been unsuccessfully trying to offer for the last 30 years. so the radical middle is the democratic party.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

From what I've heard the biggest difference between individual custom built homes and larger housing developments is that home builders would rather work on the larger multi-home developments because that's steadier work. They usually just work on single homes to fill gaps in their schedule. So if you need a house built this year and all the good plumbers and electricians are booked up working on $750,000 houses down at Whiteworth Plantation for the next year then your plumbing is getting installed by whoever is left.

Trying to use better quality materials runs into similar problems. Do the local building supply companies stock them? Are they back ordered? Do the different materials require custom installation? Does the crew the contractor put together know how to work with these materials? Did your contractor just give up and buy the cheap stuff but told you it was the good stuff and pocket the difference?

wash bucket has issued a correction as of 13:15 on Jul 4, 2023

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

wash bucket posted:

From what I've heard the biggest difference between individual custom built homes and larger housing developments is that home builders would rather work on the larger multi-home developments because that's steadier work. They usually just work on single homes to fill gaps in their schedule. So if you need a house built this year and all the good plumbers and electricians are booked up working on $750,000 houses for down at Whiteworth Plantation for the next two years then your plumbing is getting installed by whoever is left.

Trying to use better quality materials runs into similar problems. Do the local building supply companies stock them? Are they back ordered? Do the different materials require custom installation? Does the crew the contractor put together know how to work with these materials? Did your contractor just give up and buy the cheap stuff but told you it was the good stuff and pocket the difference?

this really isn’t accurate. Pretty much any area will have a mix of home builders and subcontractors that generally either do spec developments or custom homes with very little overlap. Asking a major home builder like D.R. Horton or KB homes to build you a custom home in their spare time isnt a great idea because you will get the subs they use that are only experienced with mass production, and youll just end up with a lovely custom home.

If you are going to build your own house then you need to find small contractors that do that kind of work as their mainstay. All the good electricians and plumbers are very much not booked up on massive development projects, the good ones generally fill there schedules with lots of service work and a smattering of small to medium custom homes throughout the year.

SpaceCadetBob has issued a correction as of 13:22 on Jul 4, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Maybe it's a problem specific to my area then. Everyone I know who's had a home custom built in the last 10 years had tons of problems finding people to do the work and they all had borderline hilarious day-1 problems. Everyone seemed to agree the problem was that large multi-home housing developments in the area were getting first dibs on all the good labor and materials.

Or maybe it's as simple as the custom home builders around here just aren't very good at what they do. None of them ever seem to stick around for very long.

wash bucket has issued a correction as of 13:38 on Jul 4, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Saltpowered posted:

they are pro life too

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

My house was built by Lennar in 2020. I usually don't tell people that because when they hear Lennar they immediately think lovely modular homes.

I've been real happy with it though. It's concrete block with cat 5 rated hurricane windows and underground power lines so it's as hurricane ready as you can get. Haven't had any real problems so far in the 3 years we've been here. I'm not exactly an expert in this stuff, but my dad worked construction his whole life and I brought him out several times while the home was being built to check it out and he always told me the construction looked good and they were using good quality materials. Also had someone I know and trust do the final inspection and he was pleased with the construction as well.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Saltpowered posted:

If you're not with me you're the radical other thing. And if you claim not to be that thing then you're radical middle. You're either with me or against me. Glory to the Sith Empire!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

euphronius posted:

they are pro life too

You can be pro-choice as long as you're not mean to Clarance Thomas.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

anime was right posted:

thank you for your service

I do not get the job, ath coming up

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

wash bucket posted:

Maybe it's a problem specific to my area then. Everyone I know who's had a home custom built in the last 10 years had tons of problems finding people to do the work and they all had borderline hilarious day-1 problems. Everyone seemed to agree the problem was that large multi-home housing developments in the area were getting first dibs on all the good labor and materials.

Or maybe it's as simple as the custom home builders around here just aren't very good at what they do. None of them ever seem to stick around for very long.

I think this is true for pretty much any large project that is going to need multiple subcontractors. Unless you know how to play project manager and negotiate contract terms that incentivize completion I would stay way away from it.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

euphronius posted:

they are pro life too

yes but mainly pro life for other people, they themselves are personally very pro choice

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Lol this thing weighs nearly the same as a Panzer I or a MkVI light tank.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Orange Devil posted:

Lol this thing weighs nearly the same as a Panzer I or a MkVI light tank.

and will be responsable for more deaths than either of those two

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Saltpowered posted:

The picture of the "radical left" they used is a sign that says "NAACP".

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

independent contractors doing custom builds will often do the simpler stuff themselves like forms, framing and finishing then subcontract just about everything else out which leads to varying qualities of work if they're just hiring the cheapest bozos they can find and introduces a lot of potential failure points to delay construction

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

sometimes the subs are definitely the way to go though, around here trusses are usually up and sheeted in 3 or 4 days and drywall is usually 2 or 3 days

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm cheering for Robert Mueller and the rule of law!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Saltpowered posted:

Radical centrism is the Economist's self-reported ideology.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

What is "MSCI US Cyclicals ex Tech vs Defensives"?

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Danny LaFever posted:

Lol the "trucker" rally was a collection of the worst people this country has to offer. Bunch of anti-vax rent seekers.

Ill save my concern for how the government responds to protest for Wet'suwet'en.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Tract home builders generally get contractors that are really really adept at keeping to a schedule.

Sometimes that's because they are drat good at what they do and catch/correct any errors while building, more often it is because they completely ignore or drywall over any problems secure in the knowledge that it won't be their problem in a few years.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/internethippo/status/1676236496590999557?s=61&t=mDwlfyNtJXTpSGh0jJzrag

it rules how everyone sees right through this poo poo now

“we care about your health, and it’s seriously unhealthy to sit at home in front of your computer instead of sitting in your car, then in front of OUR computers, then in your car again” get the gently caress outta here with that bullshit lmao

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/internethippo/status/1676236496590999557?s=61&t=mDwlfyNtJXTpSGh0jJzrag

it rules how everyone sees right through this poo poo now

“we care about your health, and it’s seriously unhealthy to sit at home in front of your computer instead of sitting in your car, then in front of OUR computers, then in your car again” get the gently caress outta here with that bullshit lmao

lol I've never been healthier in my working life since I started WFH.

I eat healthier because I eat at home and I don't eat fast food or at the little restaurant at work. I walk a lot more and I have the time to do it since I'm not spending an hour commuting everyday

cope and seethe commercial real estate investors

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The antiWFH narrative forming in real time and being total nonsense just goes to show how much the media is controlled and how our society is deliberately structured to funnel money to the worst loving people. America is one big CAFO.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

spacemang_spliff posted:

I eat healthier because I eat at home and I don't eat fast food or at the little restaurant at work. I walk a lot more and I have the time to do it since I'm not spending an hour commuting everyday

Same, it's such transparent bullshit. Not only does the time I save from commuting mean more time at the gym, but I can't get random sets of push ups or pullups in during the workday in an office without "causing a scene."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Those complaints of worsening eyesight make sense, according to Mercedes Carnethon, vice president of preventative medicine at Northwestern Feinberg School of Medicine.

“If I’m working remotely and I’m spending five hours a day in meetings, that’s five hours of blue light exposure,” she said. “If I had been working in an office and meeting with people in person, I would have a need to adjust my vision to see things further away and closer which helps to, I think, keep the eyes healthy.”
Oh so suddenly blue light does this thing that opthalmology has never claimed it has?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
that guy has never heard of f.lux

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Saltpowered posted:

It means literally nothing. It's an excuse for people to claim that they don't have "strong" political opinions, while still strongly supporting the status quo and pretending that the current state of affairs is somehow a neutral and natural default position. It's also an, uh, ideology that really appeals to the kind of person who bases their identity on being the adult in the room, but who doesn't really have the knowledge or insight to fill that role without just telling everyone else to calm down and try to get along.

Also a lot of them are pro-life or hold other despicable opinions because extreme centrism doesn't actually mean anything. You can declare equivalency between a moderate left-leaning position and a hard-right, fascism-adjacent position and end up with a middleground that would make the Republic of GIlead happy. People who claim to take up the radical middle are far worse than your average Republican because they aren't going to be honest with you about their racism, sexism, transphobia, etc.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

quote:

which helps to, I think, keep the eyes healthy.

Oh so suddenly blue light does this thing that opthalmology has never claimed it has?

Got to love the doctor who is pulling poo poo straight out of their rear end. But has enough concern for their position not to reference a non existent study.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Lacrosse posted:

oh my god

lmao

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

skooma512 posted:

The antiWFH narrative forming in real time and being total nonsense just goes to show how much the media is controlled and how our society is deliberately structured to funnel money to the worst loving people. America is one big CAFO.

It's working much like anti-universal healthcare conditioning. Every manager I deal with at several different companies has turned on "Work From Home" as some kind of curseword.

It won't be enough to save commercial real estate but now every bootstraps minded person I meet seethes in rage at working from home and they can't really explain why.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

spacemang_spliff posted:

Same. And I workout every day. I'm in the best shape of my life because I don't waste 3 hours a day driving. I also can do my hobbies again and have extra money from not filling up my gas tank multiple times a week. Crazy. I should stop though because the poor CEOs are sad that there aren't butts in seats for them to stare at :(

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

gradenko_2000 posted:

The media now routinely and uncritically reports on things ("immunity debt," which is just repackaged hygiene hypothesis) which were considered dangerous pseudoscience in 2019. You could never trust scientific reporting in the media, but COVID taught them that you can definitely find experts to say anything at all.

At this point I'm going to be surprised if we don't get at least a brief narrative claiming that minute exposure to exhaust fumes is healthy and we're all missing out by not sitting in traffic for ten hours every week.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Same, it's such transparent bullshit. Not only does the time I save from commuting mean more time at the gym, but I can't get random sets of push ups or pullups in during the workday in an office without "causing a scene."

:hai:

I've been WFH since New Years and I look and feel great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

China is probably the only good example of extreme centrism (arguably !!!) and I doubt these people think China is good