Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.
Lol i thought the dark barney movie was a chapo bit not an actual thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It's good to see we're maturing past superhero movies

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Tankbuster posted:

what tropes are those?

someone already did this post and poster responded in a voice that implied they themselves are Korean American so I'm not sure this is going where you think it is.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

YaketySass posted:

Ridley Scott's Napoleon is going to kick this off

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Electric Dreams is up there and that movie is a hoot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6agO47o96c

this post led me to a cancelled CW Swamp Thing series and I kinda want to watch it

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

It would be a waste if Kaluuya was doing anything less batshit than that pitch

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Ridley Scott's Napoleon is going to kick this off
They're gonna make a Toussaint Louverture movie where he's trying to make Haiti a second America, but his betrayal by Jean-Jacques Dessalines lead Haiti down the radical path that has turned out so horrible for the country. The post-credits scene is a montage of "corrupt and evil leaders", and a call to help the Haitians of today to make Louverture's dream a reality.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

indigi posted:

I'm watching Rome again cause RIP Pullo. an under-discussed aspect of the show is Atia. Polly Walker's performance is unsurpassed in the history of acting. she might not be the best actor of all time but nobody ever did anything better than Atia neither

i like how julius caesars errand of getting pompei a new wife is something he doesnt even really care about at all as we find out at the end of the episode when it turns out that his long game is to bait pompei into a fight but atia jumps at the chance to use this as an excuse to destroy her son in law and straight up murders him a few episodes later when this first plan doesnt work

the son in law himself is a boring inoffensive character whose only apparent trait is that he sincerely loves his wife but it very clearly establishes the kind of person that atia is that she holds these insane convoluted grudges that lead to her taking actions that are difficult for other characters to believe because of how incredibly petty they are shes like a well done version of cersei from game of thrones

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
cersei from game of thrones is a well done version of cersei from game of thrones. she is a perfect girl boss who Did Nothing Wrong. if you disagree you're basically the same as the goons who hate skylar white. :sad:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
If I could vacation as any character from fiction it's hard to pick someone other than James Purefoy's Marc Antony

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ram dass in hell posted:

cersei from game of thrones is a well done version of cersei from game of thrones. she is a perfect girl boss who Did Nothing Wrong. if you disagree you're basically the same as the goons who hate skylar white. :sad:

rage-eating an entire pizza @ this post

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Some Guy TT posted:

i like how julius caesars errand of getting pompei a new wife is something he doesnt even really care about at all as we find out at the end of the episode when it turns out that his long game is to bait pompei into a fight but atia jumps at the chance to use this as an excuse to destroy her son in law and straight up murders him a few episodes later when this first plan doesnt work

the son in law himself is a boring inoffensive character whose only apparent trait is that he sincerely loves his wife but it very clearly establishes the kind of person that atia is that she holds these insane convoluted grudges that lead to her taking actions that are difficult for other characters to believe because of how incredibly petty they are shes like a well done version of cersei from game of thrones

yeah it's such a brilliantly conceived and performed character. she hates her son in law but also makes you believe she genuinely thinks it's in Octavia's best interest to divorce him and refuses to let her remarry out of a sense of motherly duty. her twisted mind is able to perfectly balance these two competing motivations and also fully embody each depending on the audience. I do think she loves Octavia and honestly believes she's doing right by her daughter, but her performance of that is extremely "hosed up"

e: whereas Lena Heady's Cersei, as good an actress as she is, never made me believe she cared about her children beyond the fact that they were little Jamies and she wanted to make him happy by putting them in power. I never thought she gave a gently caress about their happiness or health beyond how it could help her please her brother. I’m sure that's a true reading of the books or w/e but it's still not nearly as interesting of a character

indigi has issued a correction as of 17:34 on Jul 4, 2023

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ram dass in hell posted:

I think loving Lancel was a questionable move.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Somehow the Terminator show was actually decent tv

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

MacheteZombie posted:

We can’t have that.

*goes back in time to cancel it*

Now, who wants rehashing the first two films in ever more terrible ways? Lena Headey has been reassigned to Peach Trees.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

The TV IV thread for Righteous Gemstones poo poo-talking Eastbound & Down is getting me all fired up

eastbound & down is peak mcbride, how can you not like it but like his other shows lmfao

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Eastbound is probably my least favorite of the McBride/Hill shows, but I can't understand not liking it at all if you like the others.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'll be that guy. gemstones is the best one because mcbride is used more sparingly. i would just get mad at him while watching eastbound

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i say swears online posted:

i'll be that guy. gemstones is the best one because mcbride is used more sparingly. i would just get mad at him while watching eastbound

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

he's mean to others and can't grasp the consequences of his actions. he's a bad role-model

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
That's one of the points!

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Troutful posted:

I love you
You love me
This film grapples with ennui

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i say swears online posted:

he's mean to others and can't grasp the consequences of his actions. he's a bad role-model

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Mr Hootington posted:

That's one of the points!

The whole joke of the show is that he's a terrible person that keeps on ruining the lives of people around him.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

someone already did this post and poster responded in a voice that implied they themselves are Korean American so I'm not sure this is going where you think it is.

I was just collecting tropes.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

YaketySass posted:

"I want to mature past superheroes."

*monkey paw closes*

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

need more tropes for my corkboard stereotype collage

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The second to last episode of the show is Kenny learning to not be selfish at Christmas lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Also the best Christmas Episode of Television ever made

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0acW03inho

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The whole joke of the show is that he's a terrible person that keeps on ruining the lives of people around him.

Yep. He blows up everyone's lives for his selfish reasons and walks away with almost no reprecussions.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sorry but I can only handle that if they put some scenes of him crying with sad music so that I know the writers know he's bad. Someone get the Rick and Morty team on this!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

MacheteZombie posted:

it started a little rough but once it got its footing it ended up being totally awesome and so Fox interfered and ruined it

see also: Human Target

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

lmfao

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Yadoppsi posted:

This is the map apparently.
https://imgur.io/V8YTjzJ

Edit: cant embed, enjoy the link instead.

:yeshaha:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Troutful posted:

I love you
You love me
This film grapples with ennui

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DoombatINC posted:

it started a little rough but once it got its footing it ended up being totally awesome and so Fox interfered and ruined it

see also: Human Target
this was a pretty common thing in the naughty aughties for network tv at the time, specifically Fox. dollhouse, Firefly, Almost Human, 4400, Terminator, Awake, Terminator, and list goes on and on. some of em were bad but got good, some never got good.

I think the only notable network one that made it past a season or 2 was The Fringe and that could be just because anna torv is a murdoch.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Romechat: everyone loves Mark Antony but Atia is the best. That scene where she realizes Mark Antony isn't going to marry her is heartbreaking. Her last little speech to Livia is choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Xaris posted:

this was a pretty common thing in the naughty aughties for network tv at the time, specifically Fox. dollhouse, Firefly, Almost Human, 4400, Terminator, Awake, Terminator, and list goes on and on. some of em were bad but got good, some never got good.

I think the only notable network one that made it past a season or 2 was The Fringe and that could be just because anna torv is a murdoch.

my favorite example from the Human Target interference is that the show won an emmy for its orchestral score and so Fox pre-emptively fired the music director because they thought he might ask for more money due to the emmy; they then replaced his award winning score with canned generic dad rock loops