Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Oglethorpe posted:

los angeles and orange country hotel workers on strike on july 4 lol

lol good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

So, like, what's in that can? Freedom bouillon?

EDIT: Oh, it's a bucket. I'm a goon.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Morbus posted:

If you assume that people form beliefs according to some process of critical evaluation, then no, this bullshit isn't fooling anyone and is so transparent as to be insulting.

However, most of what people believe is just stuff they hear from people around them. If someone hears it from the right people, often enough, and it's close enough to something they already believe or find plausible, or want to believe, then they will absorb the new idea and/or shift their beliefs. This doesn't really require any critical evaluation, so it is totally possible--and indeed common--for people to develop a set of beliefs that are incoherent. Sure--many people (especially liberals) will then invent some post hoc rationalization of their beliefs where they arise according to some critical framework, but this is just a narrative (often a comically compartmentalized one), and it usually falls apart under even a little bit of scrutiny. The real origin of the beliefs isn't critical thought, it is just "a bunch of poo poo that I heard".

You can think of a social network as a graph, where each node on the graph is a person, and each node has some set of starting beliefs. The social diffusion of ideas can be modeled according to some function where nodes have some likelihood of passing ideas to connecting nodes, which in turn have some likelihood of adopting those ideas based on where they are coming from, how "trustworthy" the sources are, how often they hear that idea, and the cumulative history of all other ideas they have heard. The "trustworthiness" of sources can be similarly modeled according to some function of social proximity, idea proximity, etc.

An interesting mathematical result is that--almost irrespective of the particulars of these functions--if you can force some nodes on this graph to hold and transmit a fixed set of ideas, then the whole graph will provably converge to a set of ideas spanned by the fixed nodes. The more such fixed nodes you have, and the more people they are connected to, the faster this convergence will occur. There is some room for cleverness in engineering a particular set of fixed ideas and matching the nodes to particular parts of the network for optimal convergence, but the only really important thing is that you have these fixed nodes in the first place, and that you control them. Social diffusion will take care of the rest.

Our friends at Eglin AFB have it all worked out, don't worry!
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1402.5644.pdf

some sort of vanguard of people holding a coherent set of ideals, perhaps

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

What mixed messages.

Ah yes, raised fist, famously recognizable conservative iconography.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The English are so hosed up

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

more like posting is praxis

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
kier starmer: putting the U in labor

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

the ideas arise from material conditions, so the way you fix them is by materially structuring society such that it facilitates the emergence of certain ideas, then you structure social networks to maximize dissemination of any ideas, and probability plus scale does the rest. if you can't affect the material structure of society, you can't maintain fixed nodes. that's the whole m/o of cybernetic capitalism at the individual scale.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Zodium posted:

the ideas arise from material conditions, so the way you fix them is by materially structuring society such that it facilitates the emergence of certain ideas, then you structure social networks to maximize dissemination of any ideas, and probability plus scale does the rest. if you can't affect the material structure of society, you can't maintain fixed nodes. that's the whole m/o of cybernetic capitalism at the individual scale.

that’s just a theonomy though. society structured to produce a particular ideology.

also I think that some folks are fixed nodes naturally and don’t function in the same way as most of the rest of the network.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Zodium posted:

We cybernetically wanted electric Sherman tanks with HUMMER emblazoned on them. Cool system. Have we tried using this power for good, or is that coming in a later patch?

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Zodium posted:

Yes but the problem our boys at Eglin have unfortunately, is that the maintenance of capitalism is incompatible with any kind of stable set of beliefs, so shifting material conditions will constantly give rise to new crises, and the "desirable beliefs" that you want your "social leaders" to hold in order to keep capitalism churning will be constantly changing in response to each crisis upon crisis.

So instead of a finely tuned cybernetic system of social control you end up with Donald Trump as president. It owns.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

president donald trump was a product of cable news and facebook though which are the two main control structures

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Shear Modulus posted:

president donald trump was a product of cable news and facebook though which are the two main control structures

Maybe that’s like the third body problem for media machinations. Or Trump was the Neo of our proverbial Matrix.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Was it a problem though?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Zodium posted:

the ability to structure belief adoption is a natural consequence of materialism. if you liked that, you might like this one on inhibiting adaptation. :nsa:

this one isn’t as dread inducing because it’s not as mystified with MATHEMATICS. im still not entirely sure what to do with this information eg how to inoculate against it being used for disruption but it’s a neat brain worm

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

genericnick posted:

Was it a problem though?

he was threatening to gently caress up stuff like NATO, which is part of the way the US manages its empire, so yeah I think it was. If we were to piss off all our allies then we’d be hard pressed to maintain our resource access on hard power alone.

As far as his domestic policies, I do think his dumb rear end ideas were too bad even for the right wing, in that they’re so utterly short-term that the more sensible parts of the ruling class realize he’s bad for the country. see also: CSPAM accelerationists cheerleading for him

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013

Morbus posted:

Yes but the problem our boys at Eglin have unfortunately, is that the maintenance of capitalism is incompatible with any kind of stable set of beliefs, so shifting material conditions will constantly give rise to new crises, and the "desirable beliefs" that you want your "social leaders" to hold in order to keep capitalism churning will be constantly changing in response to each crisis upon crisis.

So instead of a finely tuned cybernetic system of social control you end up with Donald Trump as president. It owns.

I just lurk this thread but this was a great exchange that helped me a lot in fitting together cybernetics and propaganda.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Morbus posted:

that’s incorrect though.

the fascists are using the social controls.

The liberals aren’t using them because they believe in the myth of harmony, that if there is democracy the best choice will eventually be made by the people. they had (and used) these tools for destabilization outside the US of authoritarian countries, not for control within the US. this is because of privilege arising from their class.

the right wing and fash basically just went yep that looks good we’ll be happy to use that.
so the outcome was trump, but your reason why was wrong.

I think there is awareness now, but still no willingness to respond.

Bar Ran Dun has issued a correction as of 21:44 on Jul 4, 2023

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Right, trump's guys were the ones who used facebook to astroturf support via cambridge analytica et al, and trump-friendly billionaires are spending $$$$$$ on fashy youtube videos.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Akratic Method posted:

he was threatening to gently caress up stuff like NATO, which is part of the way the US manages its empire, so yeah I think it was. If we were to piss off all our allies then we’d be hard pressed to maintain our resource access on hard power alone.

As far as his domestic policies, I do think his dumb rear end ideas were too bad even for the right wing, in that they’re so utterly short-term that the more sensible parts of the ruling class realize he’s bad for the country. see also: CSPAM accelerationists cheerleading for him

lol who's cheerleading for him

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The liberals aren’t using them because they believe in the myth of harmony

Liberals will very happily hold both the thoughts of "everyone will freely choose this and must be allowed to make their own choices" and "people have to be propagandized to choose this because they might choose Wrong" simultaneously without issue.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
This country is not as cheap as it used to be. We paid €78 for a whole fish (fresh wild caught) about 1.5 kilos. The entire meal would

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I am

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

that’s incorrect though.

The liberals aren’t using them because they believe in the myth of harmony, that if there is democracy the best choice will eventually be made by the people. they had (and used) these tools for destabilization outside the US of authoritarian countries, not for control within the US. this is because of privilege arising from their class.

the right wing and fash basically just went yep that looks good we’ll be happy to use that.
so the outcome was trump, but your reason why was wrong.

I think there is awareness now, but still no willingness to respond.

Lol

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

What mixed messages.

you might want to reexamine your assumptions

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://twitter.com/scalawagmag/status/1676295491615596574

Not econ exactly, but I thought the thread might appreciate this.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Liberals like treats. They like seeing other people get treats too because it reminds them that its okay to have treats. The only call to action a liberal understands is the reduction of treats. If someone gets one at their expense then they will request that the police beat that person until such time as treats are restored.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Covid taught me about liberals and treats and the framework explains essentially all human history.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1676346704499441665?s=20

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

Liberals will very happily hold both the thoughts of "everyone will freely choose this and must be allowed to make their own choices" and "people have to be propagandized to choose this because they might choose Wrong" simultaneously without issue.

the second one “people have to be propagandized to choose this because they might choose Wrong" that’s the purpose of education in the ideology. They think educated people will choose correctly. which is also myth.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/EvilGalProds/status/1675886626797670401?s=20

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/joshuarolson/status/1676242152169549824?t=P-nhf0bgV6-RXiDU59IaSQ&s=19

It is so cool this dude is destroying WB.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Zaslav The Destroyer

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scBkui_ngaI

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I support anything that's bad for the American empire.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Akratic Method posted:

I mean, he said they should shake down the euros more, which you're not supposed to say, but if that isn't the Biden policy then what is?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Akratic Method posted:

I think it was great that Trump made funding Historically Black Colleges and Universities a permanent thing.

The Democrats are mad about it because they liked making POC beg them every year.

He also gave more money for Pell Grants.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

spacetoaster posted:

I think it was great that Trump made funding Historically Black Colleges and Universities a permanent thing.

The Democrats are mad about it because they liked making POC beg them every year.

He also gave more money for Pell Grants.

For operating a small business in a disadvantaged area for 3 years??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Yeah but when you factor in executive comp and bonuses that just is not enough for the parent company execs to get what they need to afford that third vacation home. If they cut half the staff they can give themselves all another 1% bonus. And isn’t that what really matters?