Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Its especially funny that anyone thinks we would have the industrial capacity to rebuild.being nuked. We do t have the industrial capacity to keep our bridges up and trains on the tracks as is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you replace a city of light, steel and glass with a mediaeval shantytown that lacks running water & sewerage that's sort of rebuilding.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Hell vast amounts of our cities of steel and glass would look like shanty towns if the cops didnt routinely destroy them and what little belongings the most vulerable among us have

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Endman posted:

But what about CSAT's Earthquake Machine??

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Danann posted:

Anyone up for a guessing game of where this came from?

Estonian Ministry of Defense

if putin ends the war in anything but a total, unambiguous victory he is a god damned idiot

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bedpan posted:

if putin ends the war in anything but a total, unambiguous victory he is a god damned idiot

I look forward to the inevitable:

Russia may have conquered Ukraine, returned historical lands to Poland and Moldova and de-dollarised the international oil trade BUT that's bad news for Russia.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Starsfan posted:

I've also seen people argue that even if Russia does have thousands of nukes it's better to all go down in nuclear apocalypse because you can't give in to a bully even if you all die as a result. Better to all be dead than to live with the indignity of knowing Russia was able to get away with their aggression on Ukraine.

Back in 2014 I argued with a bunch of these types on a certain other subforum, and I said that I would ultimately rather let Russia sweep through the Baltics and Poland (and hell, literally any country) than trigger nuclear armageddon. Hoo boy they did NOT take kindly to that!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Good news for Ukraine: the USA have invented a super lightweight gun suitable for children young as 3 years of age. With the additional staffing this provides Ukraine will be unstoppable.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
China Takes the Trade Fight to Europe, Targeting the Green Transition

quote:

(Bloomberg) -- China’s decision to restrict critical mineral exports will hit key sectors in the European Union’s effort to decarbonize its economy, and demonstrates the limits of western aspirations to shift supply chains beyond the reach of policymakers in Beijing.

China is the largest global producer of the two minerals, gallium and germanium, which will be subject to export restrictions next month and that are crucial to the semiconductor, telecommunications and electric-vehicle industries. The EU gets 71% of its gallium from China and 45% of its germanium.

Another blow to European industry and its effort to shift away from petroleum.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

DancingShade posted:

If you replace a city of light, steel and glass with a mediaeval shantytown that lacks running water & sewerage that's sort of rebuilding.

Sewage will not be lacking I can assure you.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Folks, I have great news for you. We've all been worrying our heads off over nothing:

https://twitter.com/OwenBenjamin/status/1676079422489890816

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Majorian posted:

Folks, I have great news for you. We've all been worrying our heads off over nothing:

Thank God that Harry Daghlian and Louis Slotin died from broken hearts and not from acute radiation syndrome! I'll inform the families post-haste!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Horseshoe theory posted:

Thank God that Harry Daghlian and Louis Slotin died from broken hearts and not from acute radiation syndrome! I'll inform the families post-haste!

They indeed died of broken hearts, for they were gay for each other. That is why they called their relationship "the demon core.":smith:

sum
Nov 15, 2010

1stGear posted:

As far as I can tell, the US still hasn't officially stated the Russians blew the dam. I don't think NATO getting more involved in the war after an attack on the power plant is a slam dunk. The US wants a place to sell weapons to and a way to degrade Russia's military and economy. They do not want Marines in Bakhmut.

Yeah my read is that a hypothetical Ukrainian attack on the ZNPP would be a Hail Mary that is extremely unlikely to work. If Chernobyl is any guide, it's improbable that even a catastrophic incident would cause serious radioactive contamination in any NATO states, and even if it did, are they really going to go to war with Russia because they blew up their own nuclear power plant? I think this is Plan Z now that they've blown their load on the counteroffensive without any results.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Majorian posted:

They indeed died of broken hearts, for they were gay for each other. That is why they called their relationship "the demon core.":smith:

And the Curie family? Incest.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

fizzy posted:

There's tonnes of instances of Russia resorting to terrorist tactics on Ukrainian territory. The whole invasion, for one thing, and all the missiles and bombs lobbed by Russian forces on Ukrainian civilian cities and other civilian population centres.

Lol, remember when Amnasty did a report on UA artillery and infantry formations in medical facilities, playgrounds, and school's, and they got dogpiled by a slavery get horde of NAFO turds

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

AnimeIsTrash posted:

can i take the day off tomorrow if the power plant blows up???

are you american?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Horseshoe theory posted:

Tragic. They didn't know any better in those days.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

OhFunny posted:

China Takes the Trade Fight to Europe, Targeting the Green Transition

Another blow to European industry and its effort to shift away from petroleum.

wait a minute the chinese can sanction us back? Wtf?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Majorian posted:

I assume the camera had a pretty hefty telescopic lens on it and was quite far away, but what do I know, I’m an idiot

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Endman posted:

I assume the camera had a pretty hefty telescopic lens on it and was quite far away, but what do I know, I’m an idiot

I think they mustbhave been in some very hardened structure because you can see the camera shake when the blast wave hits on a few of them.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

bedpan posted:

i have really bad news for you regarding Putins level of intelligence, hes far stupider than any of us thought possible.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

i have really bad news for you regarding Putins level of intelligence, hes far stupider than any of us thought possible.

So dumb and yet so sexy, it's not fair.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

KomradeX posted:

Does no one remember Hans Blix

But doctor, I am Hans Blix!

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

KomradeX posted:

Does no one remember Hans Blix

He's the UN guy who failed to find evidence of WMDs in Iraq like he was supposed to. The US sicced the CIA on him after he refused to find the evidence the US wanted in order to justify an invasion.
He was also the first westerner on-site during the Chernobyl disaster. Hopefully he stays semi-retired.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Endman posted:

oh yea, what about the shot of the dummies inside the house? there's only one logical explanation for that, i'm afraid

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Horseshoe theory posted:

Curious.

Al-Saqr posted:

Rude. mlmp for instance isn't even certain Putin exists, he certainly has no preconceived notions of his intelligence.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BearsBearsBears posted:

He's the UN guy who failed to find evidence of WMDs in Iraq like he was supposed to. The US sicced the CIA on him after he refused to find the evidence the US wanted in order to justify an invasion.
He was also the first westerner on-site during the Chernobyl disaster. Hopefully he stays semi-retired.

He got eaten by sharks in Team America so I think he's done.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

BearsBearsBears posted:

I didn't know he was at Chernobyl.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

KomradeX posted:

I didn't know he was at Chernobyl.

Yeah, he was the IAEA director general for a long-rear end time.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

fits my needs posted:

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1676336904285966336?s=20

Unfortunately, there was no timely and large-scale response to the terrorist attack on the Kakhovka hydroelectric power plant. And this may incite the Kremlin to commit new evil. It is the responsibility of everyone in the world to stop it, no one can stand aside, as radiation affects everyone.

those aren't explosives, it just looks like that from a us satellite. in reality its just another example of the new tactic of screwing tactical plate inserts everywhere they expect to get hit

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

Majorian posted:

Back in 2014 I argued with a bunch of these types on a certain other subforum, and I said that I would ultimately rather let Russia sweep through the Baltics and Poland (and hell, literally any country) than trigger nuclear armageddon. Hoo boy they did NOT take kindly to that!

What do these people think Russian occupation entails? Even assuming Russia's ambition is to genocide the entire population of any territory they conquer, I dare say nuclear war is worse. Are people really this into the 'don't budge, even for a second' type of child-rearing?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
drake no: russia occupying ukraine

drake yes: ukraine occupying the donbass

Weka
May 5, 2019

xiaoren posted:

What do these people think Russian occupation entails? Even assuming Russia's ambition is to genocide the entire population of any territory they conquer, I dare say nuclear war is worse. Are people really this into the 'don't budge, even for a second' type of child-rearing?

I threaten my child with a live hand grenade. It's the American way.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
My favorite Russian genocide machine stories are the ones by former Ukrainian POWs, called stuff like "My hell in the Russian extermination camps" that always awkwardly concludes with: "... and then one day, they, erm, let me go. Let's skip over that bit as quickly as possible, thanks."

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
If the former POW is a woman, the article will be accompanied by a photo of her standing defiantly in a field of sunflowers. If the former POW is a man, the article will be accompanied by a photo of him in a long sleeved shirt, to cover up his swastika tattoos.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

marvel movie brain

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Man: volunteer reconnaissance

Woman: volunteer medic

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

Man: volunteer reconnaissance

Woman: volunteer medic

Locations of both, the nearest woodland to their residence in continental North America that looks vaguely Ukraine-ish. Click to donate, every bit counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

xiaoren posted:

All the pragmatic "actually the USA is a competent steward of the rot in comparison to other empires" talk giving way to "cant we just cause a nuclear apocalypse?" when the shoe is on the other foot