Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Anyone else miss the berry smoothie? I swear the mango smoothie is a bunch of fruit leathers all blended together.
Also went to get gas from Costco today and I forgot which day it was :negative: :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

pencilhands posted:

do we have any Costco-employed goons ITT?

There's at least one, but I don't recall their handle. Might be more, but I haven't been keeping my spreadsheet updated.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have a distant relative who works at Costco. What do you want to know? I can ask him at Christmas.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I have a distant relative who works at Costco. What do you want to know? I can ask him at Christmas.

Mostly, is it a good gig? Why or why not?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

SirPablo posted:

You'll want to sear the gallbladder about 30 seconds each side, then finish in the oven at 325° for 20 minutes.

Sous vide then sear, especially if you got the waygu-sourced gallbladder and want to make it count

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Naw it's the same poo poo you get in the stores. The problem with the Pumpkin Pies is there's so many places they can go wrong that you're pretty much always going to gently caress them up.

1.They're bland, like all costco freshfare they're just made to be plain. The ingredients are literally Pie mix, Pumpkin, water, Cornstarch, and Eggs.

2.We're making industrial levels of product in commercial level facilities. For example during the month of Thanksgiving we do about 20,000 pies. We have two mixers, each one of which can only mix 80 pies at once and this is overfulling them it should only be sixty. That's 250 bowls of pies to make, then we need to pump them into the shells one at a time, bake them for an hour in the oven, one hour of floor time, and one hour in the freezer all before they're wrapped. Basically to keep up on the production we need one person full time mixing one person pressing shells, one person filling and two people wrapping. This is in addition to all the other items like Cakes and Muffins that need to be hand mixed and dropped or cookies that need to be panned up. Further more those pie crusts are also all made by hand, so in addition to 250 bowls of Pie we need 100 bowls of crusts made and frozen before the season even starts.

Each one of the crusts needs to be mixed from blocks of shortening and flour, weighed, pressed in a mold, divided out onto sheet pans and then frozen before being palatized. People rush this and gently caress the crusts up all the time which makes them not hold their shape when you press them, if you seen ones with soft crowns that's probably what happened.

3. Our equipment is not made to handle the volume we have. We have one heated pie press that we need to operate continuously. If it's too hot it melts the shortening inside the crust and ruins it's texture. If it's too cold then the crust sticks and you have to scrape it off and lose time and product. So when we run it for so long at a time it gets cold which ruins the pies, so people turn in up which makes it too hot and ruins the pies.

Our Pneumatic pump is also fully not ready for the amount we do. For pushing a rack or two it's fine but for continuous operation like we do it breaks down constantly with seals slipping out and pie mix spraying everywhere, which means we need to stop everything we're doing break down something with entirely too many parts, clean and dry them, and then put them all back together again only for it to break again in a few racks. Plus if the thing does stay together our air compressor can't keep up which means the per pie volume gets hosed up which means we need to hand pour until it builds the tank back up.

4. Costco is a retail operation not a food service operation and they operate on retail logic, i.e. more bodies equals more quick. But when you send a bunch of chuckle fucks who don't want to be back there into a slow moving disaster of a dept someone, read me, needs to spend most of their shifts making sure they're making at least a small amount of actual effect on our actual operations instead of just eating our labor dollars for no gain.

5. We need to raise the drat price

I knew a goon was in the Pie Mines during Thanksgiving so I searched for "pie"

I think there's at least two others who currently or previously worked at church

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
I did not go to Church today but I did utilize their online services. Booked a rental car for my partner through Costco Travel. 7 day rental picking up at Ohare, and reserving it only 10 days before the trip. It was definitely cheaper than reserving directly from the major rental companies. Its probably the 3rd or 4th time I've booked rental cars through them. PBUC

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

pencilhands posted:

My friend here needs a job app

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

I like the part where I get raises just for coming in and working enough hours. I do not recommend food court though lol

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

pencilhands posted:

The consensus last time someone asked was that overall it's a pretty decent place to work with great benefits for a US job (if full time), but that some managers are complete assholes.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

iroc.dis posted:

I did not go to Church today but I did utilize their online services. Booked a rental car for my partner through Costco Travel. 7 day rental picking up at Ohare, and reserving it only 10 days before the trip. It was definitely cheaper than reserving directly from the major rental companies. Its probably the 3rd or 4th time I've booked rental cars through them. PBUC

oh drat thanks for mentioning this! I had already reserved a car through another service and checked this and it's like 100 bucks cheaper for the same time and car. cancelling my previous reservation and doing this instead!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

pencilhands posted:

My best friend has worked at Costco for fifteen years and loves it. Dude has paid off his condo with money he earned at the food court handing out $1.50 hot dogs and drinks (with refill). They even paid for his rehab! As far as retail goes I dunno but it sounds way above average.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

pencilhands posted:

It's a great gig for a college dropout like myself who has nothing else to fall back on. Just like any retail place, there's a lot of bullshit that's frustrating to deal with. But the benefits are very good and I'm not going to complain about getting paid $30/hour for what I do.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

hark posted:

oh drat thanks for mentioning this! I had already reserved a car through another service and checked this and it's like 100 bucks cheaper for the same time and car. cancelling my previous reservation and doing this instead!

:hfive:

I think my first time using it was reserving a full size SUV to help bring stuff to and help ferry people around for my wedding weekend. It was probably a couple hundred dollars less than reserving anywhere else. I know I can't attribute it to the Co but I was expecting some raggedy rear end Chevy Tahoe or Suburban and ended up with a pretty nice Escalade ESV.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Jingleheimer posted:

It's a great gig for a college dropout like myself who has nothing else to fall back on. Just like any retail place, there's a lot of bullshit that's frustrating to deal with. But the benefits are very good and I'm not going to complain about getting paid $30/hour for what I do.

Thank you! And thank you to the other goons who chimed in.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

iroc.dis posted:

I did not go to Church today

It wasn't open anyway. One of the nice things about it tbh. I would rather more folks get holidays. Even bad ones.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

heavy liquid posted:

This thread has me seriously contemplating dropping $100 bucks on a Wagyu ribeye.

i haven't seen this hot take posted yet so it falls to me

the ribeye cap steaks are a very similar flavor experience to eating the wagyu ribeye. try those first. if you enjoy having that much fat laced throughout your meat and you wanna try to go further maybe go for the wagyu then. for me the cap steaks are too fatty and unctuous and i feel like poo poo after eating a full one already. the wagyu is a step past that.

it's like ny strip (lean) -> ribeye (fatty yum) -> ribeye cap (fatty! yum! but i feel awful) -> wagyu (ok we can't call this steak any more)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Suxpool posted:

the ribeye cap steaks are a very similar flavor experience to eating the wagyu ribeye. try those first. if you enjoy having that much fat laced throughout your meat and you wanna try to go further maybe go for the wagyu then. for me the cap steaks are too fatty and unctuous and i feel like poo poo after eating a full one already. the wagyu is a step past that.

it's like ny strip (lean) -> ribeye (fatty yum) -> ribeye cap (fatty! yum! but i feel awful) -> wagyu (ok we can't call this steak any more)

Does your Costco often have the Ribeye Cap steaks available? I came across them 1 time. There was 1 package and I grabbed them super fast. I went back looking for them a few other times and even asked the meat guy and he said it wasn't something they do and had no idea how I was able to buy them once.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Suxpool posted:

A prime ribeye steak is the ultimate balance of beef flavor and fat imo.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

eat less red meat and extend your health expectancy you fools

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9O94UTDAJQ&ab_channel=ChrisD2019%7C%5BArchive%5D

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Vegetable posted:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kirkland Signature All Beef Hot dogs are more of a brown color so I think I'm good

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

Vegetable posted:

Yeah but that means I have to put up with the world for longer.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Vegetable posted:

Why would I want to live any longer as a fat lonely goon?

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

Vegetable posted:

Also help the environment, Beef uses a metric fuckton of water/space/resources per pound of meat produced compared to any other food source.

Also, factory farming is a literal nightmare. Grazed animals, or hunting wild animals is where it's at for meat.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Kirkland Signature All Beef Hot dogs are more of a brown color so I think I'm good

Just follow the cooking guidelines on page 170 of this thread and you will never eat red meat again!

Thake that, Athetits

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Vegetable posted:

Very sus username/post combo...

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Even though this isn't embedded I knew exactly what it was.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I have it on good authority that in the year 2037 technology will be invented that uses nanobots to entirely eliminate sickness and disease as we know it (even for poor people), so as long as eating red meat doesn't kill you before then all you're doing is not eating delicious meat with ultimately zero health benefit.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Vegetable posted:

why the gently caress would i want to do that :confused:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Suxpool posted:

The spinelas cut or whatever? That is delicious.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

pencilhands posted:

I will never admit to this

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Did my first trip. Loaded up on most of the non perishable essentials.

Didn't see razors. Do they not carry those?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

LiterallyATomato posted:

Did my first trip. Loaded up on most of the non perishable essentials.

Didn't see razors. Do they not carry those?

They do, but sometimes put em in weird rear end locations sometimes in my evidence.

One time they were only on an endcap in my store

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fatrick posted:

Also help the environment, Beef uses a metric fuckton of water/space/resources per pound of meat produced compared to any other food source.

Also, factory farming is a literal nightmare. Grazed animals, or hunting wild animals is where it's at for meat.

No one cares.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
a5 wagyu is not factory farmed. massages and beer and such

also, they cured obesity w semaglutide, only 1400 usd/month. when patent expires it'll get closer to actual cogs of 5 bux i think, but the previous history of obesity drugs is like 120 years of failure and misery so they prolly need to amortize that away

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

also, they cured obesity w semaglutide, only 1400 usd/month.

Eh you can get it in the grey market for like $60 a month.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Fatrick posted:

no one cares bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

MarcusSA posted:

Eh you can get it in the grey market for like $60 a month.

really the novo nordisk peeps need a pfizer peep to go over and tell em the gospel of total addressable market and how fuckin big the market of "fat peeps" is. too bad pfizers glp1 try failed lol

very on thread topic btw