Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tiny Timbs posted:

It just seems like a regular 3rd party reddit app that also happens to be compatible with phone accessibility stuff. I know Reddit said they would exclude accessibility apps from the API changes, but is this what they meant?

the more popular 3rd party apps that they banned were also just regular apps that happened to have perfect screen reader compatibility 1000x better than the official app, so all the blind people used them
the "we will whitelist some (much smaller) apps with accessibility features" thing is just a fig leaf to try and get some of the negative attention from that off their back.
basically they just banned all the popular 'competition' and left the less-popular apps with the same accessibility features as the banned apps, or even fewer.
supposedly none of those blind-accessible apps have mod tools in them either? so the only apps with screenreader-accessible mod tools got banned with no replacement.

Grey Cat posted:

Well newpipe app still works just fine (rip vance though), blocks all youtube ads, can still cast and all that jazz.
So does any generic adblock. So I don't see why a DNS blocker that totes doing the same would be any different but I've been wrong before.

dns blocking is like throwing out mail based on whether the return address on the envelope is some place lovely
in-browser adblocking is opening up the envelope and deciding whether to throw it out based on what's actually inside

so no, dns filtering alone can't get everything that a high tech adblocker can.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the "we will whitelist some (much smaller) apps with accessibility features" thing is just a fig leaf to try and get some of the negative attention from that off their back.

Is there an ‘accessibility features’ Reddit app that still has access on iOS?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

wooger posted:

Is there an ‘accessibility features’ Reddit app that still has access on iOS?

There are only three whitelisted apps, and looking into them they actually have 0 overlap on platforms
  • Redreader is android only
  • Dystopia is ios only
  • Luna is a text-only windows desktop app which is actually built around screenreader access (neat! i didn't think something like this was in the list)

so I guess they actually whitelisted exactly one real accessibility app (with no mobile version, and from its webpage only about 400 total downloads)
plus two general purpose apps that are still somehow way more accessible than the official one

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jul 5, 2023

jred250
Sep 7, 2003
F Zero Novice
I'm back home. Freed from Reddit, my old friends here to welcome me back with open arms.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

jred250 posted:

I'm back home. Freed from Reddit, my old friends here to welcome me back with open arms.

gently caress off

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

jred250 posted:

:frogout:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Bonzo posted:

I remember when we all got into a DDOS fight with eBaumsworld, but I don't recall the details. This doesn't seem like the whole story.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1302

I remember wget commands to spam eBuam's server were posted in GBS

There is a lot of history that we probably need to revisit, but I don’t think we need to rewrite the history of loving ebaum. Eric Baumann was, at the time, an unapologetically worse person than lowtax and the legacy of his work is seen in such things as fuckjerry and ifunny.

And 95% of his content really was recycled from other places on the web, a significant amount from these forums and the individual pages of folks from these forums such as the animutations.

The other 5% that wasn’t lifted was the fenslerfilm gi joe psas.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The man was truly before his time though looking at the state of internet aggregator sites.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Reddit? More like didn't read it.

jred250
Sep 7, 2003
F Zero Novice

Heath posted:

gently caress off

*Wipes tear from eye*

You kept everything just like I left it.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

jred250 posted:

*Wipes tear from eye*

You kept everything just like I left it.

Lowtax doesn't have his head in the game anymore.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Lowtax doesn't have his head in the game anymore.

how will his kids feel when in 5 years they join the forums and they read this post

have u thought about that

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Konar posted:

how will his kids feel when in 5 years they join the forums and they read this post

No I haven’t thought about that. Neither has Lowtax.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Konar posted:

I donated :10bux: to their go fund me so I've already bought my indulgences

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Grassy Knowles posted:

There is a lot of history that we probably need to revisit, but I don’t think we need to rewrite the history of loving ebaum. Eric Baumann was, at the time, an unapologetically worse person than lowtax and the legacy of his work is seen in such things as fuckjerry and ifunny.

And 95% of his content really was recycled from other places on the web, a significant amount from these forums and the individual pages of folks from these forums such as the animutations.

The other 5% that wasn’t lifted was the fenslerfilm gi joe psas.

Right. I'm starting to remember more details. Something about eBaum would host content with the watermark cropped off. So I suppose lots of Photoshop thread content went there. Where they also maybe hotlinking?

Jesus...remember when hotlinking was a thing?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Konar posted:

Yes, I do think about his kids more than him

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Bonzo posted:

Right. I'm starting to remember more details. Something about eBaum would host content with the watermark cropped off. So I suppose lots of Photoshop thread content went there. Where they also maybe hotlinking?

replacing hotlinks with goatse was always a hoot

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Shredder posted:

replacing hotlinks with goatse was always a hoot

Way back in the day some fucker in fyad had a link that they replaced with a google search for “how to blow up the white house” or something like that. I was paranoid as poo poo for a month that I was going to Guantanamo bay

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Looks like Reddit finally killed Alien Blue. RIP to me using Reddit ever again.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Djarum posted:

Looks like Reddit finally killed Alien Blue. RIP to me using Reddit ever again.

Wasn’t Alien Blue turned into the official Reddit app years ago?

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
RIF still chugging along for reasons unknown.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

smackfu posted:

Wasn’t Alien Blue turned into the official Reddit app years ago?

They hired the dev of it but I believe it was a all new code base. I had been holding on to the last version on my device forever originally because the official app sucked and later after Apollo came out because it was handy to use on a alternate account to check things on subs I moderated to make sure posts got nuked and whatnot. They somehow didn’t kill the api key for it until now.

Oh well it had a good run.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

jred250 posted:

open palms, you meant open palms

edit:

Bonzo posted:

I remember when we all got into a DDOS fight with eBaumsworld, but I don't recall the details. This doesn't seem like the whole story.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1302

I remember wget commands to spam eBuam's server were posted in GBS

fuckin' hell, this was 16 years ago...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKkz3KRKsOQ

dervival fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 5, 2023

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Cousin Todd posted:

RIF still chugging along for reasons unknown.

It was broken for me so I deleted it, but then when people were saying it was working I could no longer find it on the app store.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Lol RIF is still working for reasons unknown

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Mantle posted:

It was broken for me so I deleted it, but then when people were saying it was working I could no longer find it on the app store.

It stopped working so I uninstalled but after reinstalling it works :shrug:

Play links for golden platinum and normal version

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

HonorableTB posted:

Lol RIF is still working for reasons unknown

That AskReddit question is so dumb god please die stupid website

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019

HonorableTB posted:

Youtube is doing their best to murder YT Vanced but it keeps on living like a cockroach somehow. I wish we could just watch poo poo in peace jfc

I had to reset my phone months ago and just left it YouTube-less so far, should figure out how to reacquire Vanced or install one on the alternatives like NewPipe but :effort:

Mantle
May 15, 2004

RoastBeef posted:

It stopped working so I uninstalled but after reinstalling it works :shrug:

Play links for golden platinum and normal version

Thanks for the links, but I'm getting a client id invalid error when logging in now. Probably the rif client is no longer valid.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Konar posted:

That AskReddit question is so dumb god please die stupid website

That's pretty mild considering how god drat dumb most AskReddit questions are. Seriously, hit sort by new and you'll wish for death. F5 one minute later to read dozens of new, dumber, questions and you'll start making a plan.

Anyways, the worst part of that thread are the mods. They need to remove all the posts, lock the thread, and pin "more money" to the top comment.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Mantle posted:

Thanks for the links, but I'm getting a client id invalid error when logging in now. Probably the rif client is no longer valid.

Most likely. Here's how to patch the app with your own client id.
https://www.reddit.com/r/redditisfun/comments/144gmfq/comment/jq8ly9o/

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

jred250 posted:

Stranger Danger!

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

Bonzo posted:

Sure do. The mods apparently thoroughly probed me for doing that in 09.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Yes, I do think about his kids more than him

Be fair, Lowtax found it hard to keep things inside his head

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

I, Butthole posted:

Be fair, Lowtax found it hard to keep things inside his head

On the contrary, I feel like he found a way to unload his thoughts.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Do you think Drew Curtis' Fark.com is getting any new sign ups?

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I've been unconsciously using Reddit less. 0% usage from my phone now that 3rd party apps are neutered. Also just kind of not checking news there on PC much anymore. I don't know how giving users a middle finger unless they give them money to temporarily remove the middle finger is going to work out for them in the long run but I'm not participating in that financial clownshow.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009
Me too. Removing Rif pretty much killed it for me.

I logged into the website the other day and the lack of moderation is starting to show. It was always plenty of poo poo posts but it's noticeably worse now that the mods aren't doing much, if anything more than the bare minimum.

Or I just really saw how garbage it was all along.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MisterOblivious posted:

That's pretty mild considering how god drat dumb most AskReddit questions are. Seriously, hit sort by new and you'll wish for death. F5 one minute later to read dozens of new, dumber, questions and you'll start making a plan.

Anyways, the worst part of that thread are the mods. They need to remove all the posts, lock the thread, and pin "more money" to the top comment.

I tried to get into the Two Sentence Horror sub because I saw some entertaining examples. The reality is that most contributors struggle very hard to put even two sentences together. It’s really sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Tiny Timbs posted:

I tried to get into the Two Sentence Horror sub because I saw some entertaining examples. The reality is that most contributors struggle very hard to put even two sentences together.

ben biddick would blow them out of the water