Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I still can't get over they used a loving bluetooth controller. The PS2 wired gamepad interface has been reverse engineered and used in arduino projects for like a decade and it's just so much more reliable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It's kind of a shame they just imploded. The ramshackle nature of that submersible invited, nay demanded a funnier end.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Heinleinian maverick genius innovator v. deep-sea pressure

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Microplastics posted:

It's kind of a shame they just imploded. The ramshackle nature of that submersible invited, nay demanded a funnier end.

The only thing it needed to be funnier, or indeed funny at all, is that the crew needed to not include a teenage boy who only went to hang out with his dad on Father's Day weekend. His death was a tragedy and undeserved.

The rest of them climbed into a king size fleshlight of their own free will.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

DesperateDan posted:

okay here's the platonic perfect mediocre egg sandwich, because I haven't got garlic chilli chutney in at the moment

bastard kids ate the good eggs but these are fine, note the shitey white bread must be at least a day old or it will fail structurally, also you need spread and I used clover

fry em on extra low (you need oil too I guess) until nearly cooked through, then add pepper and flip em just long enough to divide them for easy arrangement

they go face down on the spread bread, so you can stab holes in the backs of the yolk for soy sauce- just a drop in each to bring out the flavour, and some salt too

and thus elevenses were had, I would say back to the madness but I'm gonna gently caress it off, get high and watch trek instead

If you drizzle soy sauce into the pan with the eggs it caramelizes and is absolutely heavenly. Then pour everything onto the bread.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
White bread smdh

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My main objection is the yolks, what's even the point in an egg sandwich if you don't cover yourself in runny yolk when eating it?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

That's was an amazing burn :allears:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Austerity having its desired effect: https://twitter.com/AgatheDemarais/status/1676259576398610444

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

The only thing it needed to be funnier, or indeed funny at all, is that the crew needed to not include a teenage boy who only went to hang out with his dad on Father's Day weekend. His death was a tragedy and undeserved.

The rest of them climbed into a king size fleshlight of their own free will.
He did decide to visit a grave site that people have been told not to visit for spurious reasons to try to get a Guinness world record for fastest deep sea Rubik's cube though. If a council estate lad had died trying to set the record for fastest Rubik's cube while riding a moped helmetless through Greenock Cemetery people would have just said "what a daft oval office."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

My main objection is the yolks, what's even the point in an egg sandwich if you don't cover yourself in runny yolk when eating it?

Nah. Firm, but custardy orange yolk is the only way to go here

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Smaller children means smaller clothes, beds, rooms, dinners etc. Easy money saver right there. Free real estate.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Soon they'll be the right size for the mines again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Nah. Firm, but custardy orange yolk is the only way to go here

give me buttykake or give me death

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Honestly I do also feel for the French guy who only signed up because his wife died and he decided to dedicate the remaining years of his life to the Titanic, openly stating that if he dies on the sub that he's okay with that as it's painless. He was travelling for free as he was the domain expert.

That said apparently his childhood sweetheart ended up recontacting him due to the Titanic stuff and they got married shortly before he died, so he did leave behind that tragic ending. Otherwise him dying near the wreck of his obsession would be poetic.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

bessantj posted:

Soon they'll be the right size for the mines again.

There's some choice replies in that thread:

https://twitter.com/OchoBaller/status/1676274607618236439

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I subsist entirely on grindset mantras and bootstraps.

If you are hungry just think about eating and affirm that you are full. Starvation only happens because you want it to.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And because of communism. Karl Marx starved a trillion people with his critique of Hegelian philosophy alone.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cultural Hegelianism is when people say my art sucks.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
it's not laziness it's fatigue, and cause and effect work the other way around

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Intelligence too, all of the "racial IQ differences" that aren't down to biased language in the tests are down to poor available diet (causing malnutrition), helminths (causing malnutrition), or dumping all the leaded petrol there.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Guavanaut posted:

He did decide to visit a grave site that people have been told not to visit for spurious reasons to try to get a Guinness world record for fastest deep sea Rubik's cube though.

I think that narrative only came out after the deaths, and feels a lot like the widow trying to make her husband a bit less of a monster.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
British children will now be measured in imperial units, giving much larger numbers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

domhal posted:

British children will now be imperial units

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

i would like to be a ratling sniper but unfortunately i think nature has made me an ogryn

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I still can't get over they used a loving bluetooth controller. The PS2 wired gamepad interface has been reverse engineered and used in arduino projects for like a decade and it's just so much more reliable

It wasn't even bluetooth, it was wifi and only talked to its own specific receiver. And it doesn't even communicate with that consistently.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Just saw the latest round of insane transphobia on Twitter. Hoo boy, these people are not normally brained.
Today's brain worms: A 15 year old boy was sexually assaulted and left unconscious by two women. One of the women happened to be a bit tall. Detective Everyfuckingterf is on the case.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I was watching a video by an engineer on these kind of things and he was saying that while it's true that using controllers for certain things is perfectly fine (turrets in the US military was an example given) it's apparently extremely stupid to use on a submersible, a) because you shouldn't be using it to control movement for something you're currently in and b) because there's nothing to secure you to your environment (such as a fixed chair), meaning if you get disorientated you could press what you think is forward and move left, ensnaring your submersible on debris.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Fatty posted:

I think that narrative only came out after the deaths, and feels a lot like the widow trying to make her husband a bit less of a monster.

Even if it's true I don't see how it makes it look like he wanted to go, if he was going to go to the bottom of the ocean whether he liked it or not he might as well make the most of it.

E:

Tesseraction posted:

I was watching a video by an engineer on these kind of things and he was saying that while it's true that using controllers for certain things is perfectly fine (turrets in the US military was an example given) it's apparently extremely stupid to use on a submersible, a) because you shouldn't be using it to control movement for something you're currently in and b) because there's nothing to secure you to your environment (such as a fixed chair), meaning if you get disorientated you could press what you think is forward and move left, ensnaring your submersible on debris.

They're also usually wired controllers, making it wireless is one more thing that can go wrong. Apparently they did this so they could "throw" it to a passenger and let them have a go piloting the sub.

escapegoat fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 5, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Today's brain worms: A 15 year old boy was sexually assaulted and left unconscious by two women. One of the women happened to be a bit tall. Detective Everyfuckingterf is on the case.

What is a woman? A beardless dwarf.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

escapegoat posted:

Apparently they did this so they could "throw" it to a passenger and let them have a go piloting the sub.
:stare:

All but the most basic-rear end aircraft solve that one by having multiple sets of controls, allowing you to say "I have control/you have control"

Maybe Cessna needs a tech innovator to make one with a gameboy you can throw around the cockpit instead.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

:stare:

All but the most basic-rear end aircraft solve that one by having multiple sets of controls, allowing you to say "I have control/you have control"

should have brought two controllers

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Tesseraction posted:

I came to a similar conclusion after playing a bunch of Resident Evil games in the late 90's, and I didn't need a degree in engineering.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

It's also harder when you're weightless

[Archer jumping up and down in submarine.gif]

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

escapegoat posted:

They're also usually wired controllers, making it wireless is one more thing that can go wrong. Apparently they did this so they could "throw" it to a passenger and let them have a go piloting the sub.

Geez like there were local multiplayer games before wireless gamepads became a thing. And re: throwing the controller, the wire just makes it easier to retrieve afterwards :colbert:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Z the IVth posted:

If you drizzle soy sauce into the pan with the eggs it caramelizes and is absolutely heavenly. Then pour everything onto the bread.

will try this, ta

Microplastics posted:

White bread smdh

this isn't about nice bread, it's about hitting expectations- I could have baked my own fresh bread and have it taste great but it wouldn't be an egg sandwich on shitey white much like kebab shop chips in pita arent fine cut french fries with truffle oil from a posh restaurant

OwlFancier posted:

no objections to yolks and I indeed did get messy eating them but not covered I mean that's probably gonna require quite the quantity of yolks tbh

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The combination of 'we don't need to verify the ships structual integrity, we have an alarm that goes off if it starts to fail' and 'please go to sleep for 24 hours while we wait for the sinking weights to disolve off' is really incredible.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Dabir posted:

It wasn't even bluetooth, it was wifi and only talked to its own specific receiver. And it doesn't even communicate with that consistently.

Ah, a Wii U controller

(is this going to turn out to be a Kool-Aid/Flavor Aid masterstroke of misdirection)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
War criminal lusts for more death

quote:

The NHS must undergo radical change or it will continue to decline and lose public support, Tony Blair has argued on the service’s 75th anniversary.

It must embrace a revolution in technology to reshape its relationship with patients and make much more use of private healthcare providers to cut waiting times, the former Labour prime minister says.

The prevalence of chronic health conditions, long waiting times, the NHS’s stretched workforce and tight public finances in the years ahead mean the service must transform how it operates, he said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Submersible piloted using a Guitar Hero controller.