Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Extra Large Marge posted:

Sounds like they have been driven insane by the "Minnesota Nice" phenomenon. The profound ability of native Minnesotans to be polite and rude at the same time.

Minnesota Nice is the worst, just passive aggressiveness like crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Nuebot posted:

This is how I am with games, I just check the gently caress out if I'm not enjoying it anymore.

I used to have some friends who became real board game nerds and they couldn't understand why I wasn't willing to play with them every time we hung out.

They would always want to explain the rules out loud but would always go off into extremely specific strategy tangents before they explained the objectives of the game, and it was always complicated games where the advantage was always held by the person who understood the 30 page rulebook the best. It would bring every social event to a screaming halt.

After one truly abysmal Halloween party where they started playing a game that had max four players (there were 4x that many attending the party) and would take 2-3 hours to get through, I simply walked out the door and have never returned their calls since.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

My family refuse to play Monopoly with me any more since I decided to go full capitalist and started bribing people to let me build hotels on their properties and whatnot.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My sister and I would play Trouble but we called it "Goodnight rear end in a top hat" because that's what we would yell at anyone we landed on and sent back to start.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Cerekk posted:

It's not that weird to want to avoid talking politics with someone you just met.

I try to talk politics whenever I meet a new person so I don't waste my time with them and find out they're a nut job later on

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

thehoodie posted:

I try to talk politics whenever I meet a new person so I don't waste my time with them and find out they're a nut job later on

Last job I had one of the dudes I started with initiated conversation at lunch by going "well my name is Pnurtis, what do you all vote? I vote <terrible racist party> :haw: " It's true, saved me a bunch of time.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

One of my friend groups used to be really into Catan and they just accepted that I only wanted the role of Catan Heckler, where I just sat and drank and provided some dumb commentary. I like games with minimal rules because I have a terrible attention span so complicated games do not work for me.

AITA for refusing to kill a spider in my girlfriend's house?

quote:

Several weeks ago I was visiting my now ex-girlfriends house when she happened to notice a small house spider building a web in a ceiling corner of her lanai. From behind the sliding glass door and 6 feet away from it she starts freaking out to the point where I come running over thinking we're dealing with a potentially deadly home invasion, at which point she demands in no uncertain terms that I kill this spider immediately.

I'm a biologist, but not a Buddhist, vegan or anything of the sort. I've killed countless roaches, flies, and other harmful creatures I consider "pests" for their propensity to spread disease. I am an avid fisherman, have no qualms against hunting (for food), and would kill a person in self-defense or in the defense of loved ones if I had to. I've killed hundreds of lab mice for research.

But I cannot in good conscience take an "innocent" life without purpose. I don't kill for sport. I kill fish for food, I killed the mice for the value of the research I was doing. But as I tried to explain around the shrieking and the hyperventilating, that harmless spider was actually doing her a favor by getting rid of all of the other bugs that actually did want to harm her, like mosquitos, etc. As an aside, my grandmother always told me it was bad luck to kill a spider in the house- I'm not superstitious, but I've observed that rule to honor her memory.

My code may be flawed, but it's my code.

I refused to kill the spider.

I told my girlfriend that if she would give me minute, I'd find something to capture it with and release it outside. That was not good enough. She wanted blood, and she wanted it now.

She has a bug phobia, I can understand that. Could she not have removed herself from the vicinity while I took care of business? I took the closest thing I could find- a magazine- and coaxed the spider on to it, preparing to open the outer screen door and let it go. The prospect of creating this split second opportunity for even more bugs to swarm into the lanai triggered a full-on meltdown.

At this point I said, " I have tried to handle this in a reasonable way that would satisfy us both. As stupid as they seem to you, I can't compromise my beliefs. You can't force someone to kill if they feel that strongly about it. This is your house so I won't stop you from doing what you think you need to do, but I won't kill it. I don't know why killing it is the only solution you'll accept. I don't care if it makes me less of a man in your eyes."

She killed the spider.

Things haven't been the same with us since. According to her, I "Care more about the spider than the safety of her and her child", can't be relied on to stand up for her, her wellbeing is not a priority, and it could have bitten her (13,M) child.

"It's just a stupid spider!"

AITA?

Can't decide where I land on this one, OP seems really annoying but I also won't kill a spider unless I know it's poisonous and it's in my house. I'm kinda sad right now because we kept finding recluses so we had to spray for them, and I imagine that killed all my house spider friends as well as the recluses.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Girlfriend appears to have a spider phobia, so OP is definitely the rear end in a top hat. You don't rationally explain your stance on spider killing while someone is panicking, you remove the loving spider.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Also, lol at trying to score an extra point by honoring the memory of your grandmother after you've already gone into great detail calmly explaining your rational moral code for several paragraphs

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

One of my friend groups used to be really into
AITA for refusing to kill a spider in my girlfriend's house?

Can't decide where I land on this one, OP seems really annoying but I also won't kill a spider unless I know it's poisonous and it's in my house. I'm kinda sad right now because we kept finding recluses so we had to spray for them, and I imagine that killed all my house spider friends as well as the recluses.

i can understand what this lady wanted: the comfort which comes from seeing the thing terrifying you definitively destroyed, not just put harmlessly away somewhere out of sight, where it can continue to haunt your imagination.

i understand, but i do not sympathize! good for both of them that they broke up. the guy definitely does sound annoying but i rule that annoying people are allowed to set boundaries too.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
A biologist and a person with big phobias are not the optimal match.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Babe please kill this big rear end spider
"Hm, ad hominem! Appeal to emotions"

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I learned ages ago that most house spiders are house spiders that don't survive well outdoors (hey, kinda like me!). So removing them outdoors is kinda like killing them, but slower. Ever since then when people write screeds about how good they are for dumping spiders outside, I wonder whether that's true or whether the spiders just went back inside anyway, or whatever.

I am really bad with bugs, I will also literally scream when I see some of them, especially if I'm startled and/or it's a house centipede. However I've been taught about what's good/bad and I don't live in Australia, so when it comes to something like a spider I wait for someone to shoo it out of my sight and try to make peace with it. Someone throwing a bug outside would've been fine with me and I would've probably waited in a different room for it to happen anyway, so I do think the gf kind of overreacted.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Runcible Cat posted:

My family refuse to play Monopoly with me any more since I decided to go full capitalist and started bribing people to let me build hotels on their properties and whatnot.

My little brother always cheated at board games and my family just accepted it. Well when I started dating my now wife, we played monopoly with my sister, brother, and mother. At some point my wife asked why my brother just took $500 from the bank and he got extremely mad and started yelling and stormed out of the room. He was cheating and my family was ignoring it. Mrs RC Cola did not know this and was just asking a question and not trying to call him out even. Also he was 23 at the time.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Doc Hawkins posted:

i can understand what this lady wanted: the comfort which comes from seeing the thing terrifying you definitively destroyed, not just put harmlessly away somewhere out of sight, where it can continue to haunt your imagination.

i understand, but i do not sympathize! good for both of them that they broke up. the guy definitely does sound annoying but i rule that annoying people are allowed to set boundaries too.

As someone with a spider phobia, his solution sounds pretty ideal. I don't want to have to stop and inspect it to make sure it's dead, then think about all the squished spider bits lurking in my carpet, and then lie away at night with the wreckage looping through my brain. I want someone I can trust to remove it from my space as quickly and cleanly as possible, assure me they've done so, and then ideally distract me so I can think about something else.

I inexplicably feel horrible if I'm thinking about them too much, and I cannot stop thinking about them if I know there's one lurking in my space, but killing them generally isn't necessary or effective.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

RC Cola posted:

My little brother always cheated at board games and my family just accepted it. Well when I started dating my now wife, we played monopoly with my sister, brother, and mother. At some point my wife asked why my brother just took $500 from the bank and he got extremely mad and started yelling and stormed out of the room. He was cheating and my family was ignoring it. Mrs RC Cola did not know this and was just asking a question and not trying to call him out even. Also he was 23 at the time.

lmao your brother sounds like a real winner

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm always happy to turn a blind eye to cheating in Monopoly since it means the game will end faster.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Deformed Church posted:

As someone with a spider phobia, his solution sounds pretty ideal. I don't want to have to stop and inspect it to make sure it's dead, then think about all the squished spider bits lurking in my carpet, and then lie away at night with the wreckage looping through my brain. I want someone I can trust to remove it from my space as quickly and cleanly as possible, assure me they've done so, and then ideally distract me so I can think about something else.

I inexplicably feel horrible if I'm thinking about them too much, and I cannot stop thinking about them if I know there's one lurking in my space, but killing them generally isn't necessary or effective.

I'm deathly afraid of spiders, the last place I lived was a terrible basement apartment my son just called "the spider cave", I was killing dozens a day during the summer. Spiders can gently caress off straight to hell, they can go be useful somewhere out of my loving face if they want to live.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

So really the best way to get rid of a house spider seems to be to put it in someone else's house.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Pirate Radar posted:

I read the post like they’re defensive about moving there because they’ve heard locals complain about people moving there and driving rents up

Eh, maybe. Everybody everywhere hates that the rents are going up and that's not something to take personally. The Minnesotans in the blue parts of the state are happy to have more non-lovely people move here even before this recent trend of openly calling for red-state refugees. We have a long history of this sort of thing. Look up the US Hmong and Somali populations for evidence.

The high numbers are because Lutherans help people get into the country, navigate the paperwork, get them signed up for services, and get them to the food shelves. Those churches sure do love running food shelves too! The one I was going to was sending me home with ~60 pounds of food twice a month.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Biplane posted:

I'm deathly afraid of spiders, the last place I lived was a terrible basement apartment my son just called "the spider cave", I was killing dozens a day during the summer. Spiders can gently caress off straight to hell, they can go be useful somewhere out of my loving face if they want to live.

Sounds like it was the spider's house, and that YOU should have left.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lone Goat posted:

Sounds like it was the spider's house, and that YOU should have left.

They would have had to kill me

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

AITA for wanting to quit my two jobs and open a VR arcade after winning the lottery?

quote:

Here's the situation. I'm a 39M who's been struggling to keep things afloat for my family (wife 38F, two kids) after losing my high-income job a year ago. Since then, I've been working two jobs, which has been exhausting and stressful. We've made a few lifestyle cutbacks, and it's been a tough year but for the most part we've been able to mostly maintain our previous lifestyle. My wife was even able to keep working part-time without picking up a full time job.

Recently, I won the lottery it's not a fortune, but it's still a significant amount, about $200k after taxes. This is where things get tricky.

I've been fascinated by virtual reality technology for years, and I see a business opportunity in our city for a high-end VR arcade. So, I want to use a portion of the lottery money to start this business. This would mean quitting both my current jobs to focus entirely on getting this venture off the ground.

Additionally, after the grueling year I've had, I feel the need to take a break, recharge, and get myself in the right frame of mind before embarking on this journey. I want to take a two-week solo vacation – something that my wife is not too happy about either. Even though I planned on taking them on a vacation as well.

So, boom. Here I was thinking my wife would support me. Instead, my wife thinks both ideas are irresponsible. She's worried about the risk associated with a tech venture and the financial implications if I quit my jobs. She also feels hurt by my wanting to go on a vacation alone after the stressful year we've both endured.

I understand her fears, but I also feel like this is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to do something I'm passionate about and potentially secure our future. I've tried to compromise by suggesting that we only use part of the winnings for the VR arcade, and save the rest as a safety net.

We've been arguing non-stop about this, and I really don't think I'm being entirely selfish.

All I want to do is give up most of our income, abandon my family for a couple weeks, and start shoveling our savings into a money pit, why can't she be supportive???
:arghfist::saddumb:

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for wanting to quit my two jobs and open a VR arcade after winning the lottery?

All I want to do is give up most of our income, abandon my family for a couple weeks, and start shoveling our savings into a money pit, why can't she be supportive???

lol, would $200k even get that kind of thing off the ground? Like, dude, you'd be set for a while if you just use some of it to take a really nice vacation and then sit on the rest of it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
A VR arcade lmao. Sounds like another goober who spent too much on VR rigs, found there's nothing really good or special to do with it, but are still absolutely convinced it's the future. Normally folks stop there, just convince themselves VR hasn't caught on not because it fundamentally sucks and nobody is going to want to do that poo poo, but that the tech just isn't there yet. This guy though thinks if he can just get people to pay to flail around for a few minutes with too much poo poo on their head, he will not only make money from the endeavor, but convert a bunch of people into VR zealots like himself.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Captain Hygiene posted:

This has shades of the guy who opened a restaurant and then burned through his startup capital, pension, savings, home equity and wider family savings in just over a year.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Runcible Cat posted:

Well, it's a quick way to find out if someone has Terrible Opinions or not, so as opening conversational gambits go that's a pretty good one.
I'm not sure why OP couldn't lead with "Oh, I think it's an awesome city, I'm especially impressed by the skating wallabys" [or whatever].

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

lol, would $200k even get that kind of thing off the ground? Like, dude, you'd be set for a while if you just use some of it to take a really nice vacation and then sit on the rest of it.

I don't actually know much about businesses, but yeah, even the full amount seemed absurdly small for a tech-related startup. Definitely better to just treat your family, maybe see if you can ease up on double jobs for a bit and try for something better that's not just halfassedly throwing money into the garbage.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

Ahaha, no way. $200k would probably be just enough for renting a building and buying a few cheap VR rigs, and maybe some games n poo poo to go with them. Maybe not even that! Commercial rental can be expensive, after all.

This is, like, just enough money to get the doors open and not anywhere near enough to keep it going long enough to get off the ground. Might as well set the money on fire.

Khanstant posted:

A VR arcade lmao. Sounds like another goober who spent too much on VR rigs, found there's nothing really good or special to do with it, but are still absolutely convinced it's the future. Normally folks stop there, just convince themselves VR hasn't caught on not because it fundamentally sucks and nobody is going to want to do that poo poo, but that the tech just isn't there yet. This guy though thinks if he can just get people to pay to flail around for a few minutes with too much poo poo on their head, he will not only make money from the endeavor, but convert a bunch of people into VR zealots like himself.

Yeah, there's a few fun games - stuff like Beat Saber and the like, that take advantage of the player not actually wanting to move about much in the physical space - but not nearly enough to make a whole arcade based around VR viable.

The dude either thinks he's found the Next Big Idea, or he wants to recreate the VR arcade from the Yakuza games and is in serious denial about the fact that the tech isn't there yet.

Plucky Brit posted:

This has shades of the guy who opened a restaurant and then burned through his startup capital, pension, savings, home equity and wider family savings in just over a year.

Yup. And self-sabotaged by closing for a whole week, right after they'd finally gotten off the ground and had a couple good months, and giving all the staff paid vacation time while he went on vacation with his family. Right during what would have been their busiest time!

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010
In the midst of a global economic crisis, who wouldn't want to start up a business that relies on people giving you money for literally nothing? Particularly a high end business, which deliberately keeps the majority of potential customers out?

Someone give the man a Nobel prize and stop stepping on his dreams!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

Back in 2005, a local guy decided to "secure his family's future" by buying a video rental store and opening a LAN gaming center. Businesses with bright futures in a time when broadband was basically already ubiquitous, and video streaming was becoming mainstream.

The businesses never actually got a chance to fail, because he was a reservist who wound up being called to active duty and killed in Iraq shortly thereafter, and his widowed wife sold everything. It's not too far fetched to say that, had the owner not died, they probably would have still been closed by 2010 at the latest.

I feel like the only way arcades survive today is to be a "Round 1" type of place with a big selection of dance machines and the types of games that have some gimmick that you generally can't replicate at home, or, go full retro with a selection of well maintained classics and maybe offer alcohol sales for some extra revenue.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 5, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Runcible Cat posted:

My brother and I had a rule that you could steal from the bank as long as you didn't get caught.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

daslog posted:

A biologist and a person with big phobias are not the optimal match.

Well. The big academic instance on Mastadon has among its rules that you have to use Content Warnings for pictures of insects.

Amongst other rules such as no police officers, military, or Intelligence agents allowed to post.

And that there is no such thing as reverse discrimination and people in privelleged groups should think hard before reporting a minority user for something like racialism or misandrogy.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Plucky Brit posted:

That the same one that started to get some traction and then to reward himself for a job well done closed down for a few weeks to relax?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
He probably doesn't have the money yet and he's already mentally spending $200k. Hate to break it to ya bud, they take taxes out of the winnings. Feds take 24% straight away. He'd get $137,500 here after state working and may still owe more when he files his taxes.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
OP's dream is to be the Stockton Rush of VR Gaming

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

MisterOblivious posted:

He probably doesn't have the money yet and he's already mentally spending $200k. Hate to break it to ya bud, they take taxes out of the winnings. Feds take 24% straight away. He'd get $137,500 here after state working and may still owe more when he files his taxes.

He literally said it was about $200k after taxes.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Plucky Brit posted:

Speaking on behalf of the whole restaurant industry,

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Clocks posted:

I learned ages ago that most house spiders are house spiders that don't survive well outdoors (hey, kinda like me!). So removing them outdoors is kinda like killing them, but slower. Ever since then when people write screeds about how good they are for dumping spiders outside, I wonder whether that's true or whether the spiders just went back inside anyway, or whatever.

If it's not cold out they just go back in the house, or in someone else's house, or a shed or a bus shelter or something. Something might eat them before they make it, though, and if it's cold they'll just freeze to death.

I loving hate bugs, but I'll tolerate a house spider in a corner somewhere due to our common enemy of other bugs. That's with the understanding that if I find an egg sack I'll burn the house down and spray Agent Orange on the rubble, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Bright Bart posted:

Well. The big academic instance on Mastadon has among its rules that you have to use Content Warnings for pictures of insects.

Amongst other rules such as no police officers, military, or Intelligence agents allowed to post.

And that there is no such thing as reverse discrimination and people in privelleged groups should think hard before reporting a minority user for something like racialism or misandrogy.

Has it already turned into a circular firing squad like that SA offshoot with the same rules did?