Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Apple TVs get refreshed whenever they feel like it. No pattern, really. If you want that feature just buy it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hughlander posted:

It's capped at 1440p for 60fps, while the 2022 can do VP9 on the chip and get true 4k and 60.

Ah interesting, nice to know there’s something else on the list of improvements. I’ve still stuck with the original because it’s hung in so well, but the battery in the remote is pretty beat up these days so it’s only a matter of time til I replace it. Thanks.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah interesting, nice to know there’s something else on the list of improvements. I’ve still stuck with the original because it’s hung in so well, but the battery in the remote is pretty beat up these days so it’s only a matter of time til I replace it. Thanks.

Trip report: 2022 Apple TV with Ethernet purchased and plugged in, took less than 5 minutes to update/sign in/get youtube, plex, disney+, netflix, and amazon installed and logged in. Youtube now showing in 2160p@60 with Dolby Vision.

I am now one with the many who hate that they put the mute button where the pause button was in the old remote.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

Apple TVs get refreshed whenever they feel like it. No pattern, really. If you want that feature just buy it now.

Yeah, and they just refreshed the Apple TV last year so I would be surprised if they updated it at all this year.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
yeah there's not much of a reason for a refresh unless they just want to stop producing some of the older A chips that go into the devices

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Hughlander posted:

Trip report: 2022 Apple TV with Ethernet purchased and plugged in, took less than 5 minutes to update/sign in/get youtube, plex, disney+, netflix, and amazon installed and logged in. Youtube now showing in 2160p@60 with Dolby Vision.

I am now one with the many who hate that they put the mute button where the pause button was in the old remote.

Oh and youtube content starts to instantly playing, instead of black screen, let me think about it, ok now i'll play but it'll still be black screen, ok 4 seconds in we're finally good and in sync! That QOL alone is worth it and where I started looking into the resolution to begin with.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That’s a bug introduced when they decided to change videomodes for the ads before/during videos, it constantly throws my receiver or TV out of range until it works it out and very much a Google issue they just haven’t bothered to fix.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

That’s a bug introduced when they decided to change videomodes for the ads before/during videos, it constantly throws my receiver or TV out of range until it works it out and very much a Google issue they just haven’t bothered to fix.

Upgrading the hardware made it go away, and it's a youtube premium account so not ads. I know it's a google / apple VP9 issue and am just happy it's gone.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Hughlander posted:

Upgrading the hardware made it go away, and it's a youtube premium account so not ads. I know it's a google / apple VP9 issue and am just happy it's gone.

Is it that surprising that your new hardware has different framerate, framerate matching, hdr/sdr setting, or content range matching settings? Make the settings on your old one match the new one and it would be "fixed" there too.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

astral posted:

Is it that surprising that your new hardware has different framerate, framerate matching, hdr/sdr setting, or content range matching settings? Make the settings on your old one match the new one and it would be "fixed" there too.

The only new hardware is the 2022 AppleTV vs 2017.

Originally:
2017 - Dolby Vision, Match framerate, match content range - 2-4 second pause at start of youtube videos regardless of range as far as I can tell.
Then 4k SDR@60 no match framerate, do match range - same pause
2022 - Dolby Vision, Match Framerate, Match Content range - Content plays instantly. - Sample size 5-6 videos since it's ~24 hours old at this point.

I was looking for the right menu on the LG Panel to confirm what was actually going on but the few quick google seraches was for a different model year.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hughlander posted:

Nah, I have two accounts on my 2017 box - one with premium and one without. The premium isn’t affected at all, the regular has it constantly. Google aggressively A/B their app downloads too and you never know what you’re getting app wise.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Nah, I have two accounts on my 2017 box - one with premium and one without. The premium isn’t affected at all, the regular has it constantly. Google aggressively A/B their app downloads too and you never know what you’re getting app wise.

I meant that it wasn't swapping between ads and the video since ads were being skipped.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Violator posted:

I've been running an AppleTV HD since they were released because hey it still works. But I finally got sick and tired of everything taking 5-10 seconds to load when my toddler wants to watch Bing Bunny or Bluey. Open Disney+ wait five seconds. Pick an account wait five seconds. Pick a show and it buffers for five seconds. That poo poo adds up when you've got a screaming toddler. Got one of the new AppleTV 4K models and holy poo poo everything is instant and it's fantastic. I love it.

And the remote! Much better than I expected and I expected it to be a big improvement. The *idea* of the Siri Remote was amazing. Voice control and multi-touch on a symmetrically perfect remote nearly the thickness of a credit card was an amazing design exercise. loving amazing. But the new remote is actually useful in real world use.

I actually feel kind of insulted by the previous remote in retrospect because it ignores the famous Apple mantra of "design is how it works." Even as someone who respects the design and almost never had issues with picking it up upside down I still think it represents a relatively dark period of Apple. One port computers, butterfly keyboards, iOS 7, etc.

Preach. I gave my old Apple TV with that rear end remote to my mom when I got the new one and every time I’m at her place and have to use it I’m like “Jesus Christ this thing is just the worst”. And she’s an old lady and actively resists using the Apple TV because the remote is so bad compared to her chunky but utilitarianly-perfect XFINITY remote.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
You can pair the new remote to the older 4k devices

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hughlander posted:

I meant that it wasn't swapping between ads and the video since ads were being skipped.

Ah late night brain at work, but I feel there has to be some videos running with different frame rates just due to upload settings. I’ll have to look through some with the dev info stuff on screen.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

MrOnBicycle posted:

Have you moved the location of the Apple TV? I had that problem when I first got my Apple TV, and when I moved it so it had a clear line of sight to the controllers the problem disappeared.

I’ll try that when I move. Part of a couch does block it but would think Bluetooth wouldn’t care

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

sonatinas posted:

I’ll try that when I move. Part of a couch does block it but would think Bluetooth wouldn’t care
Yeah, Bluetooth is definitely not "a line of sight" thing, it's more of a Wi-Fi thing.
I just tested it because I had to go mess with the sprinklers (it won't stop raining) and I was able to move stuff with the remote through 2ft. of concrete.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 9, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Solid objects definitely interfere with signals, but bluetooth can usually pass through a couple pieces of furniture. Success rate depends on the quality of the antennas.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I bought the Mission: Impossible 5-film set on Apple like 4 years ago or whenever the last movie came out. I remember watching the first movie at the time and being wow-ed by the picture quality and remastering (it’s in Dolby Vision HDR now).

I’m watching it again today, and the picture quality can only be described as “rear end”. Did Apple significantly reduce the bitrate of their movies in the past few years? Is there any way to tell it to temporarily download a high bitrate version so it doesn’t look like I’m watching a poorly encoded 720p YouTube video?

EDIT: I don't know what the deal was, but later on in the day I started up MI:III and it looked great. So I went back to check the original again, and now it looks great. It definitely wasn't network congestion on my end, because I checked speeds to make sure that wasn't the issue. Annoying.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 10, 2023

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I had that issue with Netflix for a bit when watching a series: watch an episode and it’s fine, watch the next, it’s a blurry mess. Going back to the Netflix Film selection menu fixed it immediately. Very weird.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
yeah bluetooth can be weird at times. i found out that my monitor blocks my controller if i hold it up too high because of the position of the wireless receiver on my computer

fun times troubleshooting why my controller would just flat out not accept input while fighting bosses in elden ring

Violator
May 15, 2003

Yeah, Bluetooth on my remote quit working when I mounted my AppleTV on the back of the tv. I mounted it to the exact same spot but two inches over on the wall and it works fine. I guess the metal in the tv was blocking the signal just enough.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Amazon figured out some new way to break Apple’s listings. Their nine minute “extended preview” of the new Transformers movie is considered the same as the real movie… just a lot shorter.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
I brought a apple tv with me to my in laws house. i added their youtube tv service to the apple tv. How do i trick the apple tv that is now 900 miles away from its home location?

Would wireguard connection to the city its based in be sufficient?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RoboBoogie posted:

I brought a apple tv with me to my in laws house. i added their youtube tv service to the apple tv. How do i trick the apple tv that is now 900 miles away from its home location?

Would wireguard connection to the city its based in be sufficient?

You’d need to use a VPN yes.

YouTube tv can be very strict.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I used to like just loading up the trailer app and clicking around things, but the new implementation within the ATV+ app is just utter poo poo. I genuinely don’t even know how to find the section except for clicking the old Trailers app. What a massive downgrade. It was already a bit lame that they seemed behind the rest of the internet on getting big release trailers, now I honestly don’t expect anything.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I used to like just loading up the trailer app and clicking around things, but the new implementation within the ATV+ app is just utter poo poo. I genuinely don’t even know how to find the section except for clicking the old Trailers app. What a massive downgrade. It was already a bit lame that they seemed behind the rest of the internet on getting big release trailers, now I honestly don’t expect anything.

Oh good it’s not just me

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I spent five literal minutes trying to get to the new trailers without going through the old app. I mean, there aren’t that many sections! I’m convinced you just can’t get there.

Also I hate the red background.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: tvOS 17 is now available :siren:

Adds stuff like Continuity Camera with your iPhone, FaceTime, revamped Control Center, and now you can initiate Airplay sessions with Siri on your HomePod (which also has to be running HomePod OS 17)

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
running your apple tv like a vpn exit node also sounds really, really convenient

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

kliras posted:

running your apple tv like a vpn exit node also sounds really, really convenient

I half understand what's happening here but I really need to get down and understand how I can benefit from using Tailscale above Wireguard VPN and a slapped together instance of SWAG.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yeah I'm really curious about this product but it is poorly explained as gently caress

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
You can give your parents/friends access to plex without opening a port on your firewall.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

You can give your parents/friends access to plex without opening a port on your firewall.

And any other services. It uses VPN magic to make any server running on your home network available to any other logged in device. Got a raspberry pi running a weather station or something? Put it on tailscale and you can access it from your phone when on your yacht in the Mediterranean without setting up a hole in your firewall beforehand.

You can also have VPN on your phone without paying for it (assuming you can fit within their free plan, which allows 3 people). Walk away from your home wifi and your phone automatically switches to your tailscale VPN and you can browse on public wifi with relative safety. Assuming you trust your home's ISP (that's the cool part of tvOS 17, it can become your VPN exit node).

It's a virtual network that all your logged in devices have access to, allowing them to talk amongst themselves as if they were plugged into the same switch.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

So it’s basically just a zero-config VPN server? Can I access other devices on my network with it like with OpenVPN?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

How's that different than setting up WireGuard?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

So it’s basically just a zero-config VPN server? Can I access other devices on my network with it like with OpenVPN?

Yep. I use it all the time.

There’s also a self hosted version called Headscale

https://github.com/juanfont/headscale

Same as Tailscale but you can host your own control server. Ive never played with it because the free tailscale suits my needs.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

TraderStav posted:

How's that different than setting up WireGuard?

If you’re really curious you can read the blog post Tailscale wrote to answer this question:

https://tailscale.com/compare/wireguard/

And a more generic “how it works” post:

https://tailscale.com/blog/how-tailscale-works/

Caveat of course is that these blog posts are prolly written to help sell their product/service, so just keep that in mind if they’re praising themselves a lot/too much.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 19, 2023

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

If you’re really curious you can read the blog post Tailscale wrote to answer this question:

https://tailscale.com/compare/wireguard/

And a more generic “how it works” post:

https://tailscale.com/blog/how-tailscale-works/

Caveat of course is that these blog posts are prolly written to help sell their product/service, so just keep that in mind if they’re praising themselves a lot/too much.

Thanks, I will read those! Probably need to find a good YT video mansplaining it to me also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

New update seems good. Can fit 6 apps per row now. The new facetime thing is very slick, been wanting that for a while now.