Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Cool. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

reading through the last few pages and i can see there are some horror rabbit holes that i have yet to explore

whats the best place to start for Benson and Moorhead?

same question with Koji Shiraishi

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Noroi: The Curse, definitely. It's probably his most accessible work in that everything insane he does seems to have germinated in Noroi.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

definitely Resolution

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

definitely Resolution

actually it's Moon Knight :agreed:

e: now I'm wondering if Moon Knight is part of the lovely Carl Cinematic Universe

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Resolution, The Endless, and Something in the Dirt are more or less connected

Spring & Synchronic are far more standalone; they may have some tiny references to past movies but nothing that matters. Synchronic is the biggest departure for their style and also the weakest.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

I'd go noroi -> occult -> cult

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

just go in a rough release order for his found footage stuff. part of the fun is seeing him revisit ideas and build upon them and then once you get into the later stuff he starts bringing back characters wholesale.

Stink Billyums posted:

I'd go noroi -> occult -> cult

so this but add senritsu 1st series > record of sweet murder > occult forest/rest of senritsu to the end

shirome is extra credit that can be skipped that comes after occult but i believe it will one day be important to the kojiverse 😇

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Benson&Moorhead are a super-acquired taste and their movies are so languidly paced and full of semi-professional actors you're not sure things are even happening. They really do feel like modern Lovecraft in that way; nothing happens for forty pages then BAM! monster!

FWIW I bounced hard off of The Endless but loved Resolution. YMMV extremely widely.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I've got Noroi on my watchlist already, but will his films appeal to someone with a general... ahem... distaste for found footage?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Crescent Wrench posted:

I've got Noroi on my watchlist already, but will his films appeal to someone with a general... ahem... distaste for found footage?

While you'll probably bounce off his other stuff, I think Noroi specifically will probably be OK because it's what I would call 'mixed' found footage -- there's the usual handicam stuff, but there's also news channel snippets, and sit-down interviews, and other stuff so that it's not the unending parade of shaky footage you'd normally get from FF.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Crescent Wrench posted:

What makes Shiraishi's work better than the standard found footage fare is that his stuff always includes strong characters, an engaging story, and humor. You aren't just looking at a video tape of somebody's bedroom waiting for something spooky to happen, you're enjoying it at the basic level you enjoy a regular movie. He's also a master of escalation. A big problem I have with a lot of found footage movies, especially in the wake of Paranormal Activity, is how often the plot is just a ghost demon doing random poo poo for no reason until the movie ends and everybody dies. Shiraishi doesn't do that poo poo, he takes you on an adventure.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I did Noroi for the challenge last year and it owns. It's definitely good for someone who isn't super into found footage, too. It has a nice blend and a good explanation for why and how the footage was "found", edited and showed

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I usually bounce off of found footage but Noroi was really loving good and felt like a episode of X Files as things slowly unfolded . Really loving good.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I started watching Return of the Living Dead 💀, I’ll finish it tomorrow but so far I like it !

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I watched Cocaine Bear, Resolution, Unwelcome, and A Field In England on the weekend

Tbh I think A Field was my favourite, though I prefer In The Earth's take on the same terrifying mushroom entity. Fellas I think I might like trip/drugs horror.

Unwelcome's last ten minutes slapped too, and it's fun watching Colm Meany be a big ol bastard. Also, evil Nac mac Feegle

Resolution was alright, very much in the "slightly weirder, slightly weirder, MONSTER" sense just mentioned

Cocaine Bear sure had a cocaine bear alright

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Cocaine Bear absolutely delivers on its premise.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

I started watching Return of the Living Dead 💀, I’ll finish it tomorrow but so far I like it !

It actually gets better and better pretty much right up until the end. A constantly ascending movie.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty-vdR_iFwY

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
Watched Influencer catching up with some buddies over the holiday but it wasn't the right vibe. Was interesting but really slow paced. Might have just been a bad pick for a hang out movie, but I do think its a lot less compelling narratively compared to the 90s thrillers i've seen it compared to.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

For hangout horror always go for gore fest or horror comedy.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
I tried to casually steer us towards Return of the Living Dead.. We did end watching the new Hellraiser which I liked well enough but thought was a little too glossy with both the characters and the cenobites.

Edit: Not complaining- staying up late watching scary movies with your friends is the best and I appreciate it a lot more when I get to do it these days.

BrownPepper fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 6, 2023

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I watched Senritsu 1, holy poo poo

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh for the new Senritus watchers, you can totally skip the shorts and not miss much but I enjoy them and they help develop the existential horror vibe. Not all of them are in the same documentary style either so its also feels like brief lil shakeups on the formula which is nice.

FueledBySatan
Nov 26, 2006

We are but men

Justin Godscock posted:

ROTLD3 is so good, it was one of the first horror films I saw when I was getting seriously into the genre in junior high (late night Canadian TV gave no fucks which was how I saw a lot of stuff in the late 90s).

ROTLD 3 was the first one I saw and is still my favorite. Man, I always forget how wild Brian Yuzna's filmography is. Society to Honey I Shrunk the Kids to ROTLD 3 to, another one of my childhood favorites, The Dentist.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BrownPepper posted:

I tried to casually steer us towards Return of the Living Dead.. We did end watching the new Hellraiser which I liked well enough but thought was a little too glossy with both the characters and the cenobites.

Edit: Not complaining- staying up late watching scary movies with your friends is the best and I appreciate it a lot more when I get to do it these days.

I love it too but it’s so hard to find the right movie for the crowd.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Not mine (I loving wish)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

BrownPepper posted:

Watched Influencer catching up with some buddies over the holiday but it wasn't the right vibe. Was interesting but really slow paced. Might have just been a bad pick for a hang out movie, but I do think its a lot less compelling narratively compared to the 90s thrillers i've seen it compared to.
Was not super into it either. I kept waiting the whole movie for Madison to come back with something like "I told you I was a girl scout, bitch," but then her return came way too late and just felt like an afterthought.

It felt like they couldn't decide if they wanted the villain to actually be relatable or just crazy and she ended up being an unfortunately boring middle ground.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Martman posted:

Was not super into it either. I kept waiting the whole movie for Madison to come back with something like "I told you I was a girl scout, bitch," but then her return came way too late and just felt like an afterthought.

It felt like they couldn't decide if they wanted the villain to actually be relatable or just crazy and she ended up being an unfortunately boring middle ground.
Agreed with all of this. Thought it was okay/fine.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I usually bounce off of found footage but Noroi was really loving good and felt like a episode of X Files as things slowly unfolded . Really loving good.

With all the news and interview clips I'd upgrade Noroi from Found Footage to Mockumentary, and yeah it was good poo poo.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Snooze Cruise posted:

here, i can't message you for some reason

Thanks!

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

thanks for the answers! will def check them out when i have time

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
just came here to say i did not enjoy run rabbit run and i don't understand why it's popular on Netflix. is there that much of an audience for super slow sad vibes??

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Lazy_Liberal posted:

just came here to say i did not enjoy run rabbit run and i don't understand why it's popular on Netflix. is there that much of an audience for super slow sad vibes??

I bounced off that one too. Took me two days to finish it because the vibe was just so slow and the stakes felt so low that I just couldn't be bothered.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

I love it too but it’s so hard to find the right movie for the crowd.

It might make me a coward, but I've mostly given up on picking specific movies for a given night. We will flip through Shudder, Netflix, etc and pick stuff that looks interesting. If it seems like we are settling on a total stinker I'll try and veto. Or if we are considering something I really want to see, I'll push for it.

It does really suck when you go to bat to watch something you really like and it doesn't hit with anyone else lol.

Martman posted:

Yeah- exactly this. While I was watching I was expecting the payoff in your spoiler but when it happens its very perfunctory. Agree that I would have liked it more if it leaned into being either a study of this hosed up person and the social trends she's reacting to or a trashy melodramatic thriller. Not bad, but I don't think I'll ever revisit it.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I bounced off that one too. Took me two days to finish it because the vibe was just so slow and the stakes felt so low that I just couldn't be bothered.

i guess i hope that depressed lady is okay with her problems or whatever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

This makes me feel glad. I saw 15 things for Sundance this year and this was one of 3 I didn't like, and it wasn't even burnout that had me not feeling it, it was the second film I'd watched at that point

Sarah Snook's a great actress for sure but man, I end up hating horror films with her in them. Winchester, Jessabelle, and now this. Predestination is the only other one she's been in I haven't seen and I'm kinda afraid to now

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Snooze Cruise posted:

Oh for the new Senritus watchers, you can totally skip the shorts and not miss much but I enjoy them and they help develop the existential horror vibe. Not all of them are in the same documentary style either so its also feels like brief lil shakeups on the formula which is nice.

Disagree if only for the hilarious kappa one

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The short about the actress that went missing is a fantastic short horror all on its own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It's me, the dummy still excited for these schlocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF-oyCwaArU