Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

r u ready to WALK posted:

The biggest crime of the ending sequence is that they force you to leave Torgal behind for the final showdown with Ultima instead of powering him up again to have Fenris save the day :mad:

but at least they didn't kill the dog

That's the point where I realised it was highly likely going to end up a suicide mission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

triple sulk posted:

The biggest failing of this game was having the perfect opportunity to have someone say "The planet's dyin', Clive!" and they didn't

Don't know about you but me and the girlfriend were constantly saying this as we were playing the game.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

r u ready to WALK posted:

The biggest crime of the ending sequence is that they force you to leave Torgal behind for the final showdown with Ultima instead of powering him up again to have Fenris save the day :mad:

but at least they didn't kill the dog

Torgal dies in the fight against Odin. He's in the tower with you when you jump out as Ifrit and Odin cuts the tower in half and the whole dang thing collapses. The rest of the game he's a ghost

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Torgal will outlive the whole cast. FF16-2 will be the adventures of Torgal 500 years in the future

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Killing the time/reality monsters in FF7R means torgal is now red13.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
in the aftermath of bahamut laser-nuking half a city:

“Goetz! We thought you were dead!”
“No, it seems I can never die.”

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Finished the game yesterday. Overall I really enjoyed the game, I thought the combat was fun as gently caress, the story felt incredibly Final Fantasy, and getting to punch Ultima in his dumb face felt really loving cathartic. All the Eikon fights were amazing, and I think the story was probably a top 5 FF story. That being said I do have a couple criticisms

1)The accessory system felt a little barebones with the bonuses all being a 5-10% upgrade on one of your skills- maybe this changes in NG+, but I'm probably going to sit FF16 down for a while before getting back into it.

2) It feels like the writers were deathly afraid of making more than one female character have the limelight at any one time, which ends up hurting the development of Jill a lot, especially after you take down the second mothercrystal. The sidequests involving her help a bit to develop the connection between her and Clive, but I really wish that the writers didn't just sideline her every time that Mid had a place of importance in the story. Hell, even when the enterprise crashes into Stormhyrr we get to see Jill, but we don't even get a peep of Mid's voice. Honestly, the only real thing that really bothered me about the story at all, and it ended up having knock-on effects of Jill going from a pretty badass character by her own self, to existing solely to give character growth to Clive and Torgal.

3) While I usually like ambiguous endings, I would have liked to see a more distinct ending for Clive. As it stands, I feel the ambiguous ending for Clive doesn't work within the themes of the story if he dies, but the game is very heavily signposting that he does.

Despite those criticisms, I would probably put FF16 as an incredible A+ game. I had a lot of fun with it, and I do look forward to playing it again in the future.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay I gotta ask.

There are a lot of people out there very confidently insisting that Metia fading in the ending is a sign that Jill's wish for Clive's safety has been granted. But like... did I miss something? Because I can't imagine reading it that way unless there's some hint buried in some lore entry about Metia that I haven't been able to find.

Normally I'd write it off as someone reaching but there are a lot of people who are very certain about that reading so I thought I'd ask if there was some actual reason for it, or if it's just people parroting something they read on reddit or something.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There's really not enough information given about metia to do anything but blue/gold dress over it. All you can say from the text is jill and gav react sadly to it so more likely it's known to be a bad omen. All you can say on the other hand is it would be a bit weird for a presumably benevolent star to go out of its way to kick your hope in the kidney

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I interpreted it as the star representing Ifrit, and it fading as Clive dies(or at least as he loses his powers)

Speaking of which, during the game I was fully expecting the moon to be Ultima’s real body and the star literally being Ifrit. Still kinda disappointed that wasn’t the case

RatHat fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 5, 2023

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The option where metia fading has never happened before and jill just spontaneously interprets it as a bad thing in the moment, rightly or wrongly, seems a lot clunkier, but not completely outside of the realm of possibility.

But I do think the ifrit speculation has some appeal insofar as it at least suggests some direct causal connection between metia and the events instead of some highly arbitrary vibes based one

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 5, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I do like the theory I've seen around that Metia is just a huge Mothercrystal in space and when it goes out it's because Clive destroyed Origin. Though if that's the case then it has nothing to do with his survival one way or the other and that'd make the framing of it fading in the ending pretty weird.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

No Mods No Masters posted:

The option where metia fading has never happened before and jill just spontaneously interprets it as a bad thing in the moment, rightly or wrongly, seems a lot clunker, but not completely outside of the realm of possibility.

But I do think the ifrit speculation has some appeal insofar as it at least suggests some direct causal connection between metia and the events instead of some highly arbitrary vibes based one

"Highly arbitrary vibes based connection" is extremely final fantasy, let's be clear here.

Also I don't think it's clunky for a character to interpret the star they tell their hopes going out as a bad omen.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I guess I don't find it particularly in keeping with the game's ethos that if metia is supposed to represent some kind of divinity that is monitoring valisthea, that divinity would leave everyone in the world in despair over The Chosen One living or dying.

Honestly thinking about it in that way makes me more inclined to find some kind of direct causal interpretation plausible

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 5, 2023

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So what was the scene that made Saudia Arabia ban the game? Was it just Dion and his boyfriend kissing?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

RatHat posted:

So what was the scene that made Saudia Arabia ban the game? Was it just Dion and his boyfriend kissing?

Yes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kissing is the first step to handholding.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
People getting macked by giant boulders being thrown by a giant rock Vin Diesel? gently caress yeah!

Two men kissing? No, no, no- that's obscene!

gently caress this dumbass Earth.

And on the subject, poor Dion and Terence. In another world at another time, they'd have had the perfect life. :smith:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i got my hopes up from the controversy and spent the whole drat game waiting for those two to be naked at each other

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What are your DLC predictions? Seems like there will almost certainly be at least one DLC featuring Leviathan(and maybe the southern continent too?) but if they do multiple then my ideas are:

- Cid’s early days on Ash, meeting Barnabas and Benedikta, ect. Could give him a bunch of new Ramuh skills to set him apart from Clive, we’d probably get Ramuh vs Odin, ect.

- Playing as Clive’s Grandfather(the previous Phoenix) in the Northern war. Could have a bunch of backstory about Jill’s family, how the mothercrystal fell, and most importantly a Shiva Eikon fight. Since he’d have Phoenix he’d play similarly to Clive but with a bunch of extra skills.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Leviathan was presented as having died long ago when Ultima cratered the fallen civilization in the south, no?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

AFAIK the only information about Leviathan that is given is A) there is an Eikon of Water and B) he's Lost.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yup. Since the Eikons are passed down through lineage I’m guessing the Water tribe just died out/moved to the southern continent. Or it’s some Avatar poo poo and the water Dominant has been frozen somewhere for a long time, preventing a new one from being born.

As for the crystal Ultima nuked I think that was the darkness crystal since it’s mentioned the Dark tribe came from that area. I don’t think the crystals and Eikons actually affect each other anymore anyway.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 6, 2023

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ibblebibble posted:

AFAIK the only information about Leviathan that is given is A) there is an Eikon of Water and B) he's Lost.

And a lot of people are conflating that with titan lost but titan lost's japanese name is "devil titan" so I don't think there's a connection

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
leviathan’s in des moines. your guess is as good as mine

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

RatHat posted:

What are your DLC predictions? Seems like there will almost certainly be at least one DLC featuring Leviathan(and maybe the southern continent too?) but if they do multiple then my ideas are:

- Cid’s early days on Ash, meeting Barnabas and Benedikta, ect. Could give him a bunch of new Ramuh skills to set him apart from Clive, we’d probably get Ramuh vs Odin, ect.

- Playing as Clive’s Grandfather(the previous Phoenix) in the Northern war. Could have a bunch of backstory about Jill’s family, how the mothercrystal fell, and most importantly a Shiva Eikon fight. Since he’d have Phoenix he’d play similarly to Clive but with a bunch of extra skills.

Fishing minigame with Leviathan. :colbert:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Barnabas is the dominant of darkness, he's unaging, there are no other recorded dominants for Odin in history, and he came from the mainland beyond the twins. But the tribe for the Eikon of darkness was in the south? I missed that, don't see how it adds up.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Drake's Tail, the Mothercrystal of the Crystalline Dominion, is marked as bright blue on the world map, and they're an island nation that's conspicuously lacking a Dominant (which is part of why they're so weedy). Seems a fair guess that any Leviathan DLC will involve hanging out over there a little more.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Bugblatter posted:

Barnabas is the dominant of darkness, he's unaging, there are no other recorded dominants for Odin in history, and he came from the mainland beyond the twins. But the tribe for the Eikon of darkness was in the south? I missed that, don't see how it adds up.

The tribe of darkness was originally around the Dzemykys crystal, when Ultima blew it up the remnants fled south to the other continent, and only relatively recently did Barnabas return. It's probably why there wasn't any history of Odin in the Twins, he's been hanging out south this whole time.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think Barnabas is probably just unaging because he’s secretly Akashic

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Ah, I see.

Incidentally, it’s kind of annoying that even though I’ve completed NG+ and nearly got the platinum trophy, I still don’t have a complete codex. It’s stuck a few pixels shy of the full level and missing a few articles, but I don’t know what I need to do to collect the last few and can’t find any guides online either. Annoying not to have all the information handy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

Ah, I see.

Incidentally, it’s kind of annoying that even though I’ve completed NG+ and nearly got the platinum trophy, I still don’t have a complete codex. It’s stuck a few pixels shy of the full level and missing a few articles, but I don’t know what I need to do to collect the last few and can’t find any guides online either. Annoying not to have all the information handy.

what section is missing entries?

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)
I figured Barnabas was immortal because Ultima wanted his little puppet to live forever and be around whenever he needed him. Probably easier for Ultima to keep the dude he's got wrapped around his finger alive than to try and find another one while he was waiting for mythos to show up.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Bugblatter posted:

Ah, I see.

I'm willing to bet that it's the bestiary entries for Antelope and Bighorns because there's nothing in any quest that actually pushes you to beat up those neutral critters. I think every other beast type shows up in a quest or a dungeon somewhere.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Nah. It’s in the mysteries of the world section. Four missing subjects in that part. I have all the critters and characters.

I know at least one of them is for The Fallen because someone up thread mentioned you unlock an entry on them after finishing the game, but I have nothing.

Hoffadoff posted:

I figured Barnabas was immortal because Ultima wanted his little puppet to live forever and be around whenever he needed him. Probably easier for Ultima to keep the dude he's got wrapped around his finger alive than to try and find another one while he was waiting for mythos to show up.

Yeah, I took it the same way. Also figured that Cid's time with Barnabas is how he knows who Ultima is when he shows up.

What's everyone's take on Typhon? Seems like people are divided on him being a form of Ultima (Don't think so, he seems like a separate entity in the cutscene that follows) and being an Eikon without a dominant (also seems wrong, since Clive would have done his power suck thing if he was). I'm thinking maybe he's the ancient that formed himself into the crystal and we just never see the others manifest for... reasons???

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 6, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Bugblatter posted:

Nah. It’s in the mysteries of the world section. Four missing subjects in that part. I have all the critters and characters.

I know at least one of them is for The Fallen because someone up thread mentioned you unlock an entry on them after finishing the game, but I have nothing.

Strange, honestly no idea then because I managed to max out the lore meter on the first playthrough.

Super Inactive
Dec 30, 2022
My theory that Metia was an orbital laser used to destroy a mothercrystal and create the Dzemekys Falls did not pan out. With the role it plays in the ending, I would have appreciated more information on it.

Does it ever change its position relative to the moon? If not, then it should be a satellite of the moon. Since it winks out during the ending, it should be artificial. It's presented as being related to Clive or Ifrit but physically/logistically/<insert correct word I'm actually looking for> it should have a greater purpose.

In regard to my previous post, I did recognize there was humor in the game. But it rarely made me laugh or smile and the tone felt constantly heavy to me. I often compared the game to The Witcher 3, since I found it similar in tone. Overall I like FF16 more, but the humor in The Witcher 3 was more to my taste. Plus you could complete many quests by playing a card game. FF16 is too serious for that to be a viable option.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

What's everyone's take on Typhon? Seems like people are divided on him being a form of Ultima (Don't think so, he seems like a separate entity in the cutscene that follows) and being an Eikon without a dominant (also seems wrong, since Clive would have done his power suck thing if he was). I'm thinking maybe he's the ancient that formed himself into the crystal and we just never see the others manifest for... reasons???

I don't know if it's one of the postgame ones or not, but there's also a lore entry for typhon and IIRC it basically just says "uhhhh that was also ultima, in disguise"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The way it is framed and the lore entry made me assume Typhon was a precious failed Mythos which is why he could jack Ramuh and why Ultima was inhabiting him.

He is just like Ifrit Prime, another Ultima body that didn't work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I finished the game. It was very good. I should have seen the Die My Way ending coming. XVI can join the ranks of FFX where the ending made me tear up. I would like a XVI-2.