Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

shame on an IGA posted:

When the first video rental place opened up in our town 4-year old me was subjected to a Land Before Time / Robocop double-header

I still fast forward through Murphy's shooting, and that's the theatrical version. Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Ironically, the Neverending Story was written by a guy named Ende

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

He didn't get bullied into going. He pressured his parents to let him go instead of his mom. He wanted to set a Rubik's cube record at the bottom of the ocean. He probably has the record for quickest disassembly.

:five:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

shame on an IGA posted:

never saw it until a few years ago and it suuuucked, the moral of the story was literally "Escapism solves all your problems"

The moral of the story is befriend large flying dragon cats(?) that can easily devour your foes.

What's with media literacy these days?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The 19 year old was an adult and as a billionaire offspring almost certainly a total shitbag.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

knox_harrington posted:

The 19 year old was an adult and as a billionaire offspring almost certainly a total shitbag.

Wait he was a billionaire and he still stole that magical book?

The bullies were right to bully him. What a jerk :colbert:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

knox_harrington posted:

No, the shitbag was connected to the “toilet” in front of the porthole.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Apollodorus posted:

No, the shitbag was connected to the “toilet” in front of the porthole.

i was not connected to any toilet i was not even on the sub!

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I'll never forget my 7 year old self's reaction to seeing Littlefoot shoot that guy in the dick.

The fan made Our RoboCop Remake goes completely bonkers with that scene, graphically blasting the dicks off of a dozen dudes.

https://vimeo.com/86014703

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I saw Robocop too young. What gave me nightmares wasn't any of the gory violence. It was the scene where the robot won't stop demanding the guy put his gun down even though he already did it. Brrrr.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

MisterOblivious posted:

The fan made Our RoboCop Remake goes completely bonkers with that scene, graphically blasting the dicks off of a dozen dudes.

https://vimeo.com/86014703

lol the same guys who made that remake scene also made Lasagna Cat

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

HopperUK posted:

I saw Robocop too young. What gave me nightmares wasn't any of the gory violence. It was the scene where the robot won't stop demanding the guy put his gun down even though he already did it. Brrrr.

I saw Star Wars in the theater when I was maybe 3. This dude terrified the hell out of me and I hid under the seats for a while.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

MisterOblivious posted:

I saw Star Wars in the theater when I was maybe 3. This dude terrified the hell out of me and I hid under the seats for a while.

What's wrong? He's just a harmless jizz wailer

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

This looks like Homer Simpson at work through the lens of "Don't hug me, I'm Scared".

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MisterOblivious posted:

Look at the fingers. The finger tips are hollow. Even for aliens that just ain't right.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

He's one design revision away from asking you if you're his mummy.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

HopperUK posted:

haha ed209 go brrrrrr

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
There’s a transcript of the comms from sub to ship on YouTube now.

They were going down too fast and released the emergency ballast. They could hear noises from the back end. One of the thruster batteries died. They let more stuff go and stopped using punctuation (panic had started). They started to go back up ….very slowly. Diagnostics were all red. They could hear more noises from the back of the sub.

This all went for 19 minutes. They knew something was very wrong.

The way is blocked. We cannot get out. They are coming. Drums. Drums in the deep.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Any confirmation that its real, I read that earlier but noticed everyone was linking back to a Pakistani educational youtube channel with a source that links an article that doesn't exist on the live web or archives.

E: If it is fake, it is well written.

If it is real, I am baffled at how it took 2 hours to start blasting out calls to anyone with a submersible who would listen. It would have been obvious to the optimistic that the sub was at the very least dead in the water.

nomad2020 fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 6, 2023

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Comstar posted:

There’s a transcript of the comms from sub to ship on YouTube now.

They were going down too fast and released the emergency ballast. They could hear noises from the back end. One of the thruster batteries died. They let more stuff go and stopped using punctuation (panic had started). They started to go back up ….very slowly. Diagnostics were all red. They could hear more noises from the back of the sub.

This all went for 19 minutes. They knew something was very wrong.

The way is blocked. We cannot get out. They are coming. Drums. Drums in the deep.
If this is fake I'm going to be very mad at you

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I really hope it's fake. That's horrible.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Didn't the ceo guy make them do contact via text message because he hated how constant radio chatter hosed with the "vibes?"

This sounds like BS

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Tenkaris posted:

Didn't the ceo guy make them do contact via text message because he hated how constant radio chatter hosed with the "vibes?"

This sounds like BS

Bandwidth is pretty poo poo under water, and they were under a lot of water. Text message only sounds plausible

e: I'm pretty sure that dude above is obvious trolling about Cthulhu though

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jesus from that article:

quote:

Glue was coming away from the seams of ballast bags, and mounting bolts threatened to rupture them; both sealing faces had errant plunge holes and O-ring grooves that deviated from standard design parameters. The exostructure and electrical pods used different metals, which could result in galvanic corrosion when exposed to seawater. The thruster cables posed “snagging hazards”; the iridium satellite beacon, to transmit the submersible’s position after surfacing, was attached with zip ties. The flooring was highly flammable; the interior vinyl wrapping emitted “highly toxic gasses upon ignition.”

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

There was a voice transcript "leaked" to TikTok a while ago, that got pulled when people pointed out that the Titan didn't have voice comms. Some of the stuff in the leaked "text log" are word-for-word the same as the earlier log. Also, apparently the sub and the surface ship used shorthand for communications which was totally missing from the log.

Here's the guy who dove to the Titanic chiming in and saying the conclusion by professionals that it is a fake:

https://www.facebook.com/100063171701501/posts/pfbid0TkwohXHGMLEbQgChbo9zzw9yQEPP99JDJEbxCLwhUFFKnRZZqKEXsk3sGk2bojr7l/?app=fbl

I wouldnt put much stock in it being real.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

ante posted:

Bandwidth is pretty poo poo under water, and they were under a lot of water. Text message only sounds plausible

Apparently James Cameron's sub had such reliable comms he could talk to his wife on the phone, this guy just cared more about the ambiance underwater lmao

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Tenkaris posted:

Apparently James Cameron's sub had such reliable comms he could talk to his wife on the phone, this guy just cared more about the ambiance underwater lmao

I'm sure James Cameron sprung for the deluxe Verizon package with int'l calling instead of basic SMS only

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

HopperUK posted:

:same:

That froze me numb for the rest of week when I first saw it. Meanwhile, dad and the rest of the family are laughing and moving on like the scene never happened.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

That froze me numb for the rest of week when I first saw it. Meanwhile, dad and the rest of the family are laughing and moving on like the scene never happened.

Right?! My cousin was younger than me and he didn't care at all, but jeez. I still find it kinda hard to watch. I think if something gives you a proper scare as a little kid you'll never be able to see it differently.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

HopperUK posted:

I really hope it's fake. That's horrible.
Submarine Head Cowboy: boys this is what all the tusslin’, all the russlin’, frettin’ and sweatin’, that’s what it’s was for. Be proud of the blistered goddamned skin on your ha

Unpaid Intern: ugh

(SIXTEEN HOURS LATER)

Unpaid Intern: what’s up

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

ante posted:

I'm sure James Cameron sprung for the deluxe Verizon package with int'l calling instead of basic SMS only

Hey with the data package you can check out Tinder: Challenger Deep edition

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Vegetable posted:

If this is fake I'm going to be very mad at you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dj8IJbP41c&t=1s

Transcript of the Oceangategate disaster.

You're going to be mad. But it's a great line to use if you're doing to die in a tin can. Future space explorers, take note!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ante posted:

lol, look at this absolute fool doubting brazenly the existence of a horror from the beach. This obvious hubris shall be your downfall by the end of the first act you hear me!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

dr_rat posted:

lol, look at this absolute fool doubting brazenly the existence of a horror from the beach. This obvious hubris shall be your downfall by the end of the first act you hear me!

Also I'm fairly certain is was a Kraken that they heard, not a leak of water into the aft engine compartment.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Ditto

It's a perfect little dollop of kafka

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Not a Children posted:

Ditto

It's a perfect little dollop of kafka

Other childhood movie traumas include the claymation face of the truck driver in Pee Wee's Big Adventure and Bill and Ted almost being beheaded. Both of those are haha funny when neutrally filtered through an adult lens, but drat that poo poo shaped my outlook on cinematic violence and morality.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

SLOSifl posted:

Submarine Head Cowboy: boys this is what all the tusslin’, all the russlin’, frettin’ and sweatin’, that’s what it’s was for. Be proud of the blistered goddamned skin on your ha

Unpaid Intern: ugh

(SIXTEEN HOURS LATER)

Unpaid Intern: what’s up

Submarine Head Cowboy: The way is blocked. We cannot get out. They are coming. Drums. Drums in the deep.

(ONE HOUR LATER)

Submarine Head Cowboy: *Innsmouthishly* new fone... who dis?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Climbing Mount Everest is a joke. There is nothing to be learned from doing it. It is only done by rich rear end in a top hat who are bored. "Oh, Daddy left me all this money, I must do something with it! Climb the highest mountain! That will make people respect me!" loving rear end in a top hat idiots

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

It isn't inherently a joke, the problem is with a sector of society that can only conceptualise things by quantifying them. Techbro assholes don't want to climb Everest, they just want to say they've been to the biggest number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

knox_harrington posted:

It isn't inherently a joke, the problem is with a sector of society that can only conceptualise things by quantifying them. Techbro assholes don't want to climb Everest, they just want to say they've been to the biggest number.

Nahh, climbing Everest is nothing but rich assholes saying you will never do this. Same reason Amazon guy launched his dick into space. Same reason they imploded looking for the Titanic. I can afford to do this, you cannot. Look at me!