Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Vox Nihili posted:

the data behind this is loving nuts

Just eliminating 15 years of consumer spending on food. No big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Here's the article he's talking about : Blame Food Prices for Frances Riots

The article also cites yet another "Uh, something's wrong." chart.

https://twitter.com/NicolasGoetzman/status/1674674155805876224

Edit: Here's the chart on it's own.

France : Food prices & Consumption (volumes).
May 2023

wash bucket has issued a correction as of 01:48 on Jul 6, 2023

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Salt Fish posted:

In a food shortage wouldn't spending on food go up? And total calories consumed would go down?

Well, it isn't so much a food shortage as an affordability crisis. The data is "chained" from 2014, which means it is innately adjusted for inflation. The volume of consumption is what we're really looking at here. So less food, and less valuable food, is being consumed. My read of the situation goes like this:

1) Supply chain issues, war in Ukraine, gas prices, trade war, gouging, etc. all combine to cause significant inflation in Europe, which is well-documented. The price of gas in particular went up and as a result the price of everything went up, on top of the knock-on effects from intermediaries trying to take advantage of the crisis.

2) Everything now costs more in France, particularly necessities, and real wages are falling. This is also well-documented.

3) People in France now have to cut spending to make ends meet. Things are bad enough that this includes spending on food. That means buying cheaper food in particular and even eating less calories.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

In a food shortage wouldn't spending on food go up? And total calories consumed would go down?

That's charting hypothetical price at the previous year's price, no? So dipping because the amount and mix of food being purchased now would have been ~2B cheaper a year ago and thus showing the shortage by the lower comparative use-value for the same exchange-value, while calories could swing down in buyers' markets (eating healthy becoming affordable) or up in shortages (vice-versa, potato stronk) and raw sales are of course primarily influenced by inflation.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

surprised at how much the US and Europe's fortunes are diverging given how well the US economy is doing right now
i knew the UK was poor after spending a couple years in London a decade ago but to see the EU proper struggling

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

shrike82 posted:

surprised at how much the US and Europe's fortunes are diverging given how well the US economy is doing right now
i knew the UK was poor after spending a couple years in London a decade ago but to see the EU proper struggling

that’s because they went with austerity instead of free money right before you got there as a response to 2009
now it’s happening again

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

that’s a folks can’t afford food trend line.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
and Macron has been talking about fines or jail time or lowering financial support for the parents of underaged rioters

who primarily already come from disadvantaged communities

who already fight regularly with the police

lol

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i am harry posted:

that’s because they went with austerity instead of free money right before you got there as a response to 2009
now it’s happening again

your responding to a stupid psycho dipshit

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Vox Nihili posted:

lol

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

just like you

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

wash bucket posted:

Edit: Here's the chart on it's own.

France : Food prices & Consumption (volumes).
May 2023

wasn't there a saying about how society is only three meals away from revolution?

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
there was no revolutionary potential in the rioters

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
excess savings

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Europe cut it's own throat to go along with the Empire and now the bill is coming due

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
the thread title segue :kiss:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/roguecaliber/status/1676464546666405888

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

who is the novelty toaster market supported by

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1676773817765490689?s=20

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I'm the toaster with slots that are only wide enough for tiny presliced American white cake bread

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

who is the novelty toaster market supported by

Three Olives

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

did someone just say the American economy is doing well

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
lol at Instagram's not-Twitter being worse than Twitter from the jump:

https://twitter.com/emoswaggy/status/1676744730179149824

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

euphronius posted:

hosed up if true.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

euphronius posted:

it's called Bidenomics, thank you.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

shrike82 posted:

how well the US economy is doing right now

:iiam:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Way to poo poo the bed again Zuck

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I've already had another IT nerd try to mansplain threads to me which has to be a record amount of time for product out to mansplaining from a peer.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

skooma512 posted:

the thread title segue :kiss:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

doesn't twitter do that to some extent with all the "suggested" content

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

actionjackson posted:

doesn't twitter do that to some extent with all the "suggested" content

Twitter has a "For You" timeline which uses The Algorithm, but it also has a "Following" timeline that's strictly chronological and only shows tweets from accounts you follow

TikTok does something similar

Threads apparently only has the former

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

yup i signed up and the feed is full of grifting models and brands and other garbage

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

gradenko_2000 posted:

wasn't there a saying about how society is only three meals away from revolution?

3 meals away from chaos

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

(anakin skywalker voice) now THIS is doomsday economics

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
france: this wouldn't happen if i opened my rear end wider for america

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
three baguettes from chaos

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

look the lady got a pizza and a side, there's no way that order after doordash upcharge and fees was less than 40

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
She also lives in a mansion.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

By my way a thinking, an economist looking at graphs for food prices and consumer spending on food and saying "It's never done that before." has about the same gravity as a nuclear plant worker saying "It's never done that before."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

triple sulk posted:

yup i signed up and the feed is full of grifting models and brands and other garbage

I stopped using it after finding out the search only lets you search for people, not events/things/literally anything else. No news, only influencers!