Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Horror is different, it's a genre entirely made of cult classics.

They're also some of the cheapest movies to make, so they tend to stick around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Waffleman_ posted:

Cult classics can't exist anymore. If a movie doesn't pop off in one weekend, it's loving gone.
RIP Rowdy Cats screenings.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What's the loving point of pulling an underperforming movie from streaming?

Keeping it available costs basically nothing and the cost-per-stream total would also be very low.

I'm happy to be buying up as much physical media I can. Streaming exclusives are acquired LEGALLY and kept on a drive.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Tax writeoffs

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Waffleman_ posted:

Tax writeoffs

But after it's already been released?

I refuse to understand Hollywood math. It's just fraud wrapped in schemes dressed in sequels.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

Inzombiac posted:

But after it's already been released?
Yes. As far as I understand it (note: I do not understand it), by not streaming a product they've already produced, they reduce its value below fair market value, requiring them to "write down" the value of it on their books, decreasing their declared asset values/income and, hence, reducing their tax burden.

https://www.gamesradar.com/disney-plus-movie-crater-deleted/ posted:

No reason has been officially given for the removal of Crater, though back in May, it was revealed that Disney would be removing content from the streamer, anticipating a third quarter writedown of between $1.5 and $1.8 billion. Multiple titles, including the Willow spin-off show, Y: The Last Man, and The World According to Jeff Goldblum, were removed from Disney Plus that same month.

Per What's on Disney Plus, several other titles were removed along with Crater on June 30. More Than Robots, Alaska Daily, The Company You Keep, Recep İvedik 7, King Shakir Recycle, Ben Gri, Runaway, Dunyayla Benim Aramda (Between The World And Us), New Year’s Eve, The Nightingale of Bursa, and My Apologies are also all no longer available to stream.

Disney Plus isn't the only streamer axing content lately. HBO Max – now simply titled Max – also scrapped multiple movies and TV shows last year.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
What you'll find is that a lot of this stuff being pulled will just be licensed out to Tubi etc instead.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It depends on the way they're written off.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, for the most part a write-off means they can't do anything with it period, or else they'd have to pay back the tax credits.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Batgirl is still the only one we know for sure has been written off in this way, can’t be monetized again without incurring a penalty, etc.

The rest of this really seems to be “we’re putting this on FAST services so we can make money off of advertising.”

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Batgirl is still the only one we know for sure has been written off in this way, can’t be monetized again without incurring a penalty, etc.

The rest of this really seems to be “we’re putting this on FAST services so we can make money off of advertising.”

They also canned the Scooby Doo movie they were making at the same time, which people always forget about when they try to claim BATGIRL was canned because of quality issues.

But yeah, a lot of this stuff being pulled from services seems closer to a WESTWORLD situation than a BATGIRL one. It's becoming a way to recoup at least part of the cost.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

They canned two Scooby-Doo movies. The other one was already finished so someone uploaded it to archive.org

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm honestly asking who wants any Scooby Doo related content anymore

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

kiimo posted:

My son, about 2 years ago.

Scooby Doo owns for little kids. It's supposed to be creepy but it's mostly just empowering.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

kiimo posted:

Kids who grew up with it now have kids

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I think it's highly educational to be honest. We should be teaching the younger generation that the truly skilled and valued in our society are stoners who live out of a van.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

normalize ascots imho

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

There's a For Your Consideration billboard up in LA for Velma and it's like, who are you foolin

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

kiimo posted:

There's a For Your Consideration billboard up in LA for Velma and it's like, who are you foolin

Velma is awful, but my 3yo loooves Scooby doo. There are so many different iterations and animation styles over the years too.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Autechresaint posted:

There are so many different iterations and animation styles over the years too.

Just as a general concept scooby doo's pretty malleable, and for young kids it's good introduction to things that are scary but not really.

Although to be honest crooked businessmen are more scary than ghosts.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Canonically, Scooby Doo has helped Batman solve multiple capers - including beating a Joker/Penguin team-up.

Talk poo poo all you want but he gets the job done.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Scooby-Doo rules. I introduced my 5 year old niece to it and now she's into Halloween and spooky stuff. Other than Hotel Transylvania, it's the only way to responsibly indoctrinate kids with horror.

Also, when they put out a new 'Doo that channels the old-school stuff well, it's still fun to watch as a nostalgic adult if you just want something light and silly with a spooky twist. Scooby-Doo and Guess Who? was great. And of course Mystery Inc. was a blast and a really well done modernization that deepened the mythology and had some strong Twin Peaks vibes.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

My absolute favorite is Scooby Doo and the Witch's Ghost, which (pun intended) has a passable mystery, the introduction to the Hex Girls, and some banger anime-influenced shots in the ending. The only bad thing is a weak Shaggy VA.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Canonically, Scooby Doo has helped Batman solve multiple capers - including beating a Joker/Penguin team-up.

Talk poo poo all you want but he gets the job done.

There has been so much Scooby Doo/Batman content created over the past 20 years that Batman is practically a supporting character. He's more relevant to the Scooby Doo franchise now than Scrappy.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
"This is where I watched my parents die, Scooby-Dum..."

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Scooby Doo gave us Linda Cardelini in a catsuit, so I will always love it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

davidspackage posted:

"This is where I watched my parents die, Scooby-Dum..."

roo ranna get ruts? rets get ruts!

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

My absolute favorite is Scooby Doo and the Witch's Ghost, which (pun intended) has a passable mystery, the introduction to the Hex Girls, and some banger anime-influenced shots in the ending. The only bad thing is a weak Shaggy VA.

Aw. Matthew lillard is good as shaggy. He isn’t Casem, but no one could be.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Isn’t there is version of scooby soo that tried to get all edgy and had characters dying all over the place?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Autechresaint posted:

Witch's Ghost was a good deal before Lillard took over the role. It was one of a couple of the direct to video movies that had Scott Innes as Shaggy

He wasn't great

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/biorante_blog/status/1676972684045869056?s=19

Poster reveal for the new Japanese Godzilla movie next week

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Autechresaint posted:

I would never dog Lillard, he did great. This was some other guy, I don't know who. He wasn't very good.

Also just sitting here thinking about possible Scooby Doo guest stars that never happened, I think probably the best one I've got is Scooby Doo Meets The Blues Brothers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gaz2k21 posted:

Isn’t there is version of scooby soo that tried to get all edgy and had characters dying all over the place?

That is the Max series, Velma. Which is one of those adaptations that seems like it hates the original show.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It feels very much like "We had an original series to pitch but nothing original gets picked up anymore so gently caress it I guess it's the Scoob now"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Like how Futurama is coming out with new episodes and these are among them

"Rage Against The Vaccine"
"Zapp Gets Cancelled"

Why do people do this. Let's resurrect this old beloved thing and then update it with current events. Nobody wants that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I like that they couldn't even come up with a pun for the Zapp one

Just the dryest most direct description

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'm guessing it's a "Krusty Gets Kancelled" reference? Which is about right for Futurama in the year of our lord MMXXIII.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

kiimo posted:

Like how Futurama is coming out with new episodes and these are among them

"Rage Against The Vaccine"
"Zapp Gets Cancelled"

Why do people do this. Let's resurrect this old beloved thing and then update it with current events. Nobody wants that.

:stat: “Zapp Gets Cancelled”?
:wal: I’d prefer “Futurama Gets Cancelled”!
:stat::wal: hohohoho

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Rochallor posted:

the year of our lord MMMXXIII.

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The new season of Futurama only has a fraction of the amount of writers that the original seasons had right?

I remember when it was first renewed apparently they had a smaller writers room. I assume it's the same again.