Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BoonyPC posted:

I'm playing a druid and found a decent Butchers cleaver. Thought I'd try it out as I'm at 50% crit and it seems pretty decent for crowd control, although I am a bit confused about the fear as it seems to work sometimes and not others? Sometimes I can fear them a few times in a row and others they just sit there.

Otherwise my build is mostly ranged so them running off doesnt worry me, I can see how annoying it would be in melee. Its been great at times when I am a bit vulnerable and can just spam attacks to fear stuff away from me.

Fear makes the targetted mob shiver in place and the mobs around it run away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

they have to be doing this as a bit, right?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

satanic splash-back posted:

Cool, go play diablo 3 then and let us enjoy a different game
Some people are unhappy that their collection of Diablo 3.5 rulebooks was made irrelevant by Diablo 4th Edition.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Fried Watermelon posted:

D3 sold like gang busters, especially when they ported it to consoles. Really fun coop game.

The criticism is warranted with D4, it should be a better game from what came before it

Idk d3 launch didn't learn poo poo from d2. Took years to be what was eventually an okay ARPG but meh Diablo.

D4 sticks the story, atmosphere and most everything else out the gate. It's lacking in a bunch of areas but it's still light-years ahead of any ARPG at launch ever afaik. There's definitely $70 worth of value tucked in, something IMO d3 didn't have for a very long time.

Tomorrow I expect to be disappointed by season 1 but I have no doubt by s3 they'll have my money again.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

faantastic posted:

Idk d3 launch didn't learn poo poo from d2. Took years to be what was eventually an okay ARPG but meh Diablo.

D4 sticks the story, atmosphere and most everything else out the gate. It's lacking in a bunch of areas but it's still light-years ahead of any ARPG at launch ever afaik. There's definitely $70 worth of value tucked in, something IMO d3 didn't have for a very long time.

Tomorrow I expect to be disappointed by season 1 but I have no doubt by s3 they'll have my money again.

I think we shouldn't be comparing d4 to launch d3, as we don't compare d3 launch to d2 launch, and d2 to launch d1. They each should build on each other, which is where my disappointment arises from.

I can't remember how poe1 launched but I will be comparing poe 2 with poe's latest league.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Syrnn posted:

I feel like my barbarian just tickles poo poo to death until vulnerable comes online. I took Expose Vulnerability so that I can open on some mook with Death Blow and then Whirlwind everyone vulnerable but my downtime is terrible and there's so much I still don't get about this game. Almost all the legendaries I've found are either for generic poo poo like barriers or are for skills I don't really use or enjoy like Leap, so I've been doing this whirlwind thing forever and it definitely lacks pepper.

It gets way better once you hit your 60s and start getting your paragon board filled in and get more fury generating items. That's the one thing I feel like this game needs to improve is the resource build and spend loop. The other Diablos were never this rough with it. I feel like the skills should be half the cost of what they currently are or put some innate regen added in by default. If you haven't gotten lucky with a fury generating ring it's kinda brutal.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Fried Watermelon posted:

I think we shouldn't be comparing d4 to launch d3, as we don't compare d3 launch to d2 launch, and d2 to launch d1. They each should build on each other, which is where my disappointment arises from.

I can't remember how poe1 launched but I will be comparing poe 2 with poe's latest league.

(New game feel) (established game polish) (ready today)

You can only pick two :)

Also, as a BA, clients like you are the absolute worst

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Fear makes the targetted mob shiver in place and the mobs around it run away.

Ahh well that makes sense then

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

(New game feel) (established game polish) (ready today)

You can only pick two :)

Also, as a BA, clients like you are the absolute worst

I'll take the new game and establish game polish. Thx

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Philthy posted:

It gets way better once you hit your 60s and start getting your paragon board filled in and get more fury generating items. That's the one thing I feel like this game needs to improve is the resource build and spend loop. The other Diablos were never this rough with it. I feel like the skills should be half the cost of what they currently are or put some innate regen added in by default. If you haven't gotten lucky with a fury generating ring it's kinda brutal.

Feels like they mostly let you bend the generator/spender relationship but not break it. Which is ok because I'm not a fan of the Diablo 3 set bonus "this skill costs 0 and does 10,000% increased damage" thing but I do wish they'd let you bend it in more significant ways. I really think the solution is just in getting more ballsy worth the random rare affixes which would also make itemization more interesting. Right now you'd generally be stupid not to roll for crit or vulnerable damage or whatever, but allowing for some actual significant resource cost reduction or cooldown reduction rolls or whatever would make that process more exciting

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Some people are unhappy that their collection of Diablo 3.5 rulebooks was made irrelevant by Diablo 4th Edition.

Smooth

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Schwawa posted:

they have to be doing this as a bit, right?

How much more can you corrupt sanctuary I wonder

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

So corrupted Chris Metzen possesses Diablo and smacks Jay Wilson with the lightning hose.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Fried Watermelon posted:

I'll take the new game and establish game polish. Thx

Good news, all you have to do is put the game down and pretend it actually releases 18 months from now.

felked
Jul 4, 2023

goferchan posted:

Feels like they mostly let you bend the generator/spender relationship but not break it. Which is ok because I'm not a fan of the Diablo 3 set bonus "this skill costs 0 and does 10,000% increased damage" thing but I do wish they'd let you bend it in more significant ways. I really think the solution is just in getting more ballsy worth the random rare affixes which would also make itemization more interesting. Right now you'd generally be stupid not to roll for crit or vulnerable damage or whatever, but allowing for some actual significant resource cost reduction or cooldown reduction rolls or whatever would make that process more exciting

do you think d4 is going to get there? I'm really curious if s1 of d4 is just going to be exactly this, including insane set bonuses

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I feel like I've heard the devs joke at least once about 40,000% skill damage modifiers, they must certainly be aware of the fact that D3's set bonuses got insanely out of control and not wanting to replicate that.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Reported for stolen vaalorb

tbh looks more like the elder influence corrupting the atlas if anything

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Scoss posted:

I feel like I've heard the devs joke at least once about 40,000% skill damage modifiers, they must certainly be aware of the fact that D3's set bonuses got insanely out of control and not wanting to replicate that.

They explicitly said that they didn't implement sets in D4 initially because they hated how they ended up pre-defining what builds were viable in D3. They said they want to bring sets back, but not in a way that is like D3.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Please be a cowtide.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Donnerberg posted:

Please be a cowtide.

hahaha that would rule.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
[Moos intensify]

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember
Server update 3 hours after the livestream starts tomorrow. Y’all think blizzard has the guts to launch season 1 tomorrow?

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Kawabata posted:

so that's why they rehired chris metzen 6 months ago

lol

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Aexo posted:

Decided to see if Reddit had any tips for getting the side quest Fury Against Fate from bugging out and as ridiculous as it sounds...

Turn your background FPS to 1 and talk to the NPC in the cave and alt+tab out until you hear the NPCs yelling charge to attack. It worked!

the thing that actually matters is whether the barrier in the cave spawns with a health bar or spawns invincible

go into the cave where the NPC starts talking, look at the barrier and see if it has s health bar. if it does, use “leave dungeon” and then “leave game” and wait the 10 seconds so you spawn back at the same place instead of in town. repeat until the barrier spawns as immortal.

all other tricks are just various long winded ways to achieve the dungeon resetting

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Jaytan posted:

Server update 3 hours after the livestream starts tomorrow. Y’all think blizzard has the guts to launch season 1 tomorrow?

Nah they’re going to talk about some QoL and then say “expect these changes…right now!”

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Haven't played for a couple days, logged in and immediately got 3 unique drops (all trash of course) within like 40 minutes. :raise:

edit; make that 4 uniques. 3 lovely druid helms and a bottom roll razorplate.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Jaytan posted:

They might pre-load stuff for the season 1 patch.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

haha

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Anyone ITT make top 1000 Hardcore but not get their name on the list for the statue?

It's happening to 100s of people, including top 20 and top 100 players who made tweets and or even linked streamed clips of getting it, apparently, including a personal friend who played the game like 20 hours straight for the first week or so to get it done. He is understandably pissed.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They explicitly said that they didn't implement sets in D4 initially because they hated how they ended up pre-defining what builds were viable in D3. They said they want to bring sets back, but not in a way that is like D3.

Don't aspects kinda already do exactly that though?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

faantastic posted:

It's worse than Last Epoch right now and that hasnt even launched yet

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

socialsecurity posted:

Yes but they have brown text instead of green so the psyop worked.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

socialsecurity posted:

most builds only have 1, maybe 2 core aspects and the rest are flexible based on what your build needs.

so they're exactly the same as sets if you have no clue what you're talking about, yeah

The Ol Spicy Keychain fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jul 6, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I need better UI to deal with this aspect juggling bullshit. When I get a good rare drop, instead of hyped I feel deflated I have to deal with all this tedious bullshit.

Also when people say they want the EOL D3 back, they mean how smooth it plays and feels. Not necessarily the underlying mechanics.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
Has anyone mentioned that they needed to attune a soulstone holding a minion of hatred to.... hatred?

otherwise enjoying the campaign again as a druid. not liking the level gap between 25 and 35.

Mehrunes fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 6, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

It's self-hating hatred

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

I thought we would fight inarius in the campaign but lilith kind of went beast mode on him before we could

end game poo poo =>he's such an arrogant selfish piece of poo poo i would literally be frustrated if i had to fight him, he got exactly what he deserved.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Also Daughter of Hatred is so lazy and derivative. She should get her own hate related noun.

Daughter of Loathing
Sister of Abhorrance
Maiden of Detestation
Aunt of Hostility
Mom of Distaste
Grandmother of Dislike
Niece of Antagonism
Godmother of No-likey
Nana of Nah

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
I can't believe I can't filter my inventory/stash in 2023.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Vic posted:

Also Daughter of Hatred is so lazy and derivative. She should get her own hate related noun.

Daughter of Loathing
Sister of Abhorrance
Maiden of Detestation
Aunt of Hostility
Mom of Distaste
Grandmother of Dislike
Niece of Antagonism
Godmother of No-likey
Nana of Nah

her dad is mister hatred, it's a family thing