Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
So this happened yesterday to one of my close friends, thought I'd share even though not really on topic.

my friend who works in the NHS posted:

gently caress SAKE!!! I just had a white patient from South Africa say to me said "I'm not a racist BUT my country has gone to poo poo since the blacks took over"

My friend is a British black man btw. She was looking directly at him when she said it, he didn't have any quick witted retorts, he says he stood there with his mouth hanging open

She apparently followed this up by ranting about Mugabe
:dafuq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Maybe not all SA people are racist but a friend of mine was once dating this rich boer failson, and one day she was out and I was at her place smoking weed and hanging out with this dude. We were watching Rugby (it was a Scotland v Springboks game, which Scotland somehow won). He got real mad and the mask slipped, went into a big rant about how there were too many bliks in the team and that Nelson Mandela ruined his country.

Never really hung out again after that.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Spitting Image was right

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
"The blacks" took over south africa?

Sounds like they Took Back Control to me

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It certainly doesn't help South Africa's perception that their most famous example is an addled billionaire who is painfully unfunny, and is the child of Cruella deVille and "Consensual" Fritzl.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Over the last 10 year, the corruption in SA has really started to overwhelm and degrade the countries economy and government. All of which while run by the ANC. Like, their power grid keeps failing and trains keep stopping because power cables, tracks, and signalling poo poo keeps getting stolen, and it's not like there's more poverty in SA than there was 10 years ago.

There much more to it than "Blacks ruined this country", it's more than the ANC got more incompetent and corrupt while relying on the legacy of winning apartheid to win elections.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

This is a true story.
A woman is working in television.
Through a series of ill-judged if understandable decisions she begins an affair with her boss.
In a premier Inn, somewhere off the M6, she wakes to the sound of sweaty slapping.
She turns her head and sleepy haze gives way to shocked confusion, he's wanking into my hair!
She exclaims, as we all would, what the gently caress are you doing?!
The man, with an air and a satisfied grunt; I'm Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, I do what I want.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Over the last 10 year, the corruption in SA has really started to overwhelm and degrade the countries economy and government.
lmao the first half of this really set me up to expect a big meltdown post about the forums

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-66102199

quote:

The Orange Order is considering changes to future Twelfth of July parades in Belfast, according to an internal document seen by BBC News NI.
If adopted, next year's route would be shortened by six miles to become "a circuitous march".
The field - where speeches are given -would be axed from the event.
According to the document, the Belfast County Grand Lodge undertook a review after describing the 2022 parade as "abysmal".
Belfast's parade is one of the Twelfth's longest, covering about 10 miles.

They can change routes when they want to, gently caress the tradition part yeah lads.
And 10 mile to pledge allegiance to King Chuck? gently caress that.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Over the last 10 year, the corruption in SA has really started to overwhelm and degrade the countries economy and government. All of which while run by the ANC. Like, their power grid keeps failing and trains keep stopping because power cables, tracks, and signalling poo poo keeps getting stolen, and it's not like there's more poverty in SA than there was 10 years ago.

There much more to it than "Blacks ruined this country", it's more than the ANC got more incompetent and corrupt while relying on the legacy of winning apartheid to win elections.

I have to say, when I started reading this post and saw SA, I thought it was a reference to Something Awful. Having read the rest of it, I still think that's what it's about.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/carolvorders/status/1676869601513046017

:toot:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

happyhippy posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-66102199

They can change routes when they want to, gently caress the tradition part yeah lads.
And 10 mile to pledge allegiance to King Chuck? gently caress that.

Heard this being discussed on Radio Ulster this morning. Basically it’s because the orange order are now all decrepit old gits who can barely walk 100 metres unaided. And the only thing the youth care about on the 11th / 12th is burning things and getting shitfaced. Fantastic culture

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’ve only ever met one white dude from SA and it legit only took about 10-15 minutes before he felt comfortable enough to tell me, entirely unprompted, that he’d moved to the UK because de bliks ROONED sith ifrica, and he was a big customer at my lovely job so I had to just kind of sit there

He was pretty old so I figured it might have just been that, but it seems like everyone has the same story so :shrug:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I've lost track now. How many byelections are we waiting on?

At what point does this many byelections become untenable?

Is anything coming of the report that Johnson allies bullied the Partygate committee?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isHZcy0RKEE

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith: The Novelisation

Mentioning which, has anyone pointed out to this kid that the Sith were actually ruling the Empire?

https://metro.co.uk/2023/07/05/teen-inspired-by-star-wars-films-to-kill-queen-and-destroy-empire-19072592/

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

PriorMarcus posted:

Is anything coming of the report that Johnson allies bullied the Partygate committee?

I think everyone would just rather that they get on with the job and focus on delivering for working people by cutting waiting lists and stopping the boats.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

What a useless oval office. People are loving broke and hungry and sick and Starman wants to level up their oral skills.

At least until he abandons this idea, 6 hours from now

(In saying this, I know if Corbyn had done this I would have been all for it, so really it's just another complaint about Kieths general uselessness on the big issues)

E: v related

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1676856884052074497?t=hRahaUWoOzG9XCpoSppvGA&s=19

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 6, 2023

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

History Comes Inside! posted:

I’ve only ever met one white dude from SA and it legit only took about 10-15 minutes before he felt comfortable enough to tell me, entirely unprompted, that he’d moved to the UK because de bliks ROONED sith ifrica, and he was a big customer at my lovely job so I had to just kind of sit there

He was pretty old so I figured it might have just been that, but it seems like everyone has the same story so :shrug:

I've met two white people from SA before and neither was racist. Maybe ya'll just have poo poo luck.

e: in fact, one of them was pretty pissed that every time someone heard their accent, they assumed racism was ok and started letting loose at them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

It certainly doesn't help South Africa's perception that their most famous example is an addled billionaire who is painfully unfunny, and is the child of Cruella deVille and "Consensual" Fritzl.
Then again Australia has Murdoch, indigenous genocide, a bunch of imperialist wars in the second half of the 20th century, immigration torture camps, and a really racist rugby team, and they get to play almost all of that off as being quirky backwoods brits with dangerous wildlife.

Maybe South Africa just needed to do a bunch of "I'll gooi an extra parktown prawn on the braai for you" adverts in the 80s.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
No need for a general election as long as every constituency has a by-election at most every five years.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

"I'll gooi an extra parktown prawn on the braai for you"

Star Wars language

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BareLeft/status/1676867634107764736

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I just got what I assumed to be my regularly scheduled “we’re loving with your direct debit because we’re convinced you’re about to start a combination grow op/crypto mining operation” e-mail from Shell Energy only to find that they’re decreasing my monthly direct debit by nearly 25%

What is going on

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Retail energy prices are going down. :toot:

Body language? No...

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Failed Imagineer posted:

What a useless oval office. People are loving broke and hungry and sick and Starman wants to level up their oral skills.

At least until he abandons this idea, 6 hours from now
i would maybe not start my proposal on the importance of clear articulation with a double negative, keith

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

You could just stick a pin in a list of the most famous books of all time and have a good chance of it having "the story of how boy-children become men" to some degree.

Maybe they prefer Starship Troopers to show how a Civilian becomes a Citizen.

PriorMarcus posted:

I've lost track now. How many byelections are we waiting on?

At what point does this many byelections become untenable?

You could have a Parliament of Theseus. No general election but every MP has already been replaced at least once in a by-election.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Keith's on an absolute bender today.

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1676889526764027906

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Don't need no pens for oracy mate

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Perhaps some rich white men need to do some listening practice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Escaping poverty with your oral skills is not a suggestion I want to hear from a politician tbqh.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Nice to see that African countries can be as badly served by their leaders as European ones.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

LMAO...

More tesco value bullshit:

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1676890916320169984

e:

So they are going to make vandals and drug users remove chewing gum off of the streets

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 6, 2023

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
When I was working in South Africa for a while, there was a guy in the office whose name had a click in it, and I was apparently the only white person who'd made an effort to learn to pronounce his name right. New staff would do literal double takes the first time they heard it. It was surreal, like I was living in one of those tall tales where everyone claps at the end, except it was for the most basic-rear end human decency thing that shouldn't ever have been worthy of comment.

I still feel weird talking about it because I worry I'm using a minority person to make myself into some white saviour paragon of non-racism, but the point is more that, if you have a traditional african name in South Africa that has any sort of sound not common in English or Afrikaans, don't expect most white people to even bother addressing you by your actual name.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

bessantj posted:

Nice to see that African countries can be as badly served by their leaders as European ones.

Is there a country in the world that has a decent leadership?
I can't think of any.
Decent leaders - when they appear from time to time - seem to meet with unfortunate accidents by foolishly placing themselves in the paths of bullets.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
I have this terrible feeling we are going to have another Tory government (even if labour gets in).

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol at this. He’s such a loving prick

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I think the speaking skills thing is a good idea, if it was part of an arrangement that also included, for example, a lot of extra money for schools. A good friend of mine works as a cleaner at a service station (after getting to his “if it sucks, hit the bricks” limit at, ironically, his teaching job) and a huge number of his colleagues there rely on him for basic language skills. He acts as an employment and relationship counsellor just by listening to people and translating it with a “right, what he means is…” and is held in huge esteem by the other staff. A bit of practice in sticking to your point and conveying it effectively would help a lot of people enormously. Shame it’s pledged, of course - that means it won’t happen.

Sanford fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jul 6, 2023

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

imo he wants to 'teach kids to speak' because he can't understand MLE and the variants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
"Immediate punishment for drug users" - can't wait for roaming ED-209s in little bobby hats to shoot my dick off for taking a hit from my vape