Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Twitter has a "For You" timeline which uses The Algorithm, but it also has a "Following" timeline that's strictly chronological and only shows tweets from accounts you follow

TikTok does something similar

Threads apparently only has the former

i'm surprised they would have the second, the algorithm is what generates the most engagement right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

actionjackson posted:

i'm surprised they would have the second, the algorithm is what generates the most engagement right?

They have it but they're not happy about it. For a while there Twitter would randomly switch you back to the algorithm feed and hope you wouldn't notice.

In my case the giveaway was when I would suddenly see tweets about random sports. Like the algorithm had no concept of someone who didn't follow sports and if it couldn't zero in on which sports you liked it would just try them all until you engaged with one.

wash bucket has issued a correction as of 04:34 on Jul 6, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

actionjackson posted:

it's something like a "third rail" at this point, where Twitter had it from way back when and they keep trying to wean people off it but they either recognize that it would be far too unpopular a move, or the current staff isn't technically proficient enough to remove it (possibly both)

it's also why Threads doesn't have it - if you were going to make New Twitter tomorrow, and were a techbro, you'd be right that you wouldn't have the Following feed at all, for the reason you stated

but it's not going to win people over if the older platform still has it

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

gradenko_2000 posted:

wasn't there a saying about how society is only three meals away from revolution?

*capitalistishly* So what you're saying is that more than one meal a day for the poors is inefficient?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol at Instagram's not-Twitter being worse than Twitter from the jump:

https://twitter.com/emoswaggy/status/1676744730179149824

Lol they could just give the people what they want and then take it all back after twitter is destroyed but I guess that’s not mba brained enough for the titans of industry

Lmao even

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

trevorreznik posted:

I stopped using it after finding out the search only lets you search for people, not events/things/literally anything else. No news, only influencers!

Who could've ever predicted that a platformed owned by a company that makes platforms that suck would itself suck too?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Willa Rogers posted:

Who could've ever predicted that a platformed owned by a company that makes platforms that suck would itself suck too?

it's a bit unexpected when practically anything can get its own fb page

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol at Instagram's not-Twitter being worse than Twitter from the jump:

https://twitter.com/emoswaggy/status/1676744730179149824

ENSHITTIFY

PRESHITTIFY

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

ENSHITTIFY

PRESHITTIFY
that's just sound wise business decision. no need to spend money paying computer monkeys to make omething worse, like google does, when you can just make it bad to start with :eng101:

i'm all in on facebook calls now

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
does any of that really matter though I mean the people who are mad at Elon Twitter have already willfully forgotten it was bad before he took over too it’s just all image and branding concerns.

the musk thread has people scrounging for blue sky invites and it’s just sad to see.

I dunno who will win the social media wars but it’s not gonna be based on critical analysis of what one provides the best service with the least downsides it’s just gonna be vibes and marketing.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

wash bucket posted:

By my way a thinking, an economist looking at graphs for food prices and consumer spending on food and saying "It's never done that before." has about the same gravity as a nuclear plant worker saying "It's never done that before."

twitter will be succeeded by a frontend for chatgpt that spits out neural-network-generated tweets

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Shear Modulus posted:

twitter will be succeeded by a frontend for chatgpt that spits out neural-network-generated tweets

unless Jefferson embeds it on the forums that's not succeeding anything or any way

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Shear Modulus posted:

automating the last profitable job there is - inducing rage in your followers

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

PoundSand posted:

does any of that really matter though I mean the people who are mad at Elon Twitter have already willfully forgotten it was bad before he took over too it’s just all image and branding concerns.

the musk thread has people scrounging for blue sky invites and it’s just sad to see.

I dunno who will win the social media wars but it’s not gonna be based on critical analysis of what one provides the best service with the least downsides it’s just gonna be vibes and marketing.

It may have sucked, but the sheer degree of suck has gotten spectacularly worse.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

once again community notes is just a way to tut-tut at people whenever the news is uncomfortable to their interests

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
oh wow, 8000 daily users, that's much better, very viable

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
anyway I was reading Bernie Sanders's latest book and he brings up a point that I'd never quite grasped before: the specific way in which automation is pursued, developed, and implemented ends up being expressed in a very specific (one might say "mutated") fashion because of how capitalism means it's only done with the goal of eliminating labor and dodging taxes

if you have ten employees making doohickeys, you have to pay them, and you have to pay a payroll tax for employing them

you don't want automation that makes the job safer, you just want automation that eliminates as many of those ten employees as possible. You might not even be pursuing automation that's more productive, because the thing you're really trying to get away from, is paying their wages, and paying the payroll tax

and because this is the only goal of automation, there are avenues of automation that are never explored. I suppose it's similar to how in pharmaceuticals, "treatments" are more popular than long-term cures, or procedures that cater to rare conditions, because those things are not profitable

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I absolutely don’t want to give it to companies but Bernie’s thesis there isn’t company accurate. Many companies do pursue automation for job replacement but some, even incredibly lovely ones, often pursue automation for reasons other than job elimination.

I used to work for a complete dogshit company in most every way who was pursuing RPA (robotic process automation) in their factories but not to fully eliminate jobs. They had put RPA in their factories as an augmentation to existing works specific for very repetitive tasks that could injure works over time or dangerous tasks.

They were able to increase production rate in the areas they added RPA because automating these tasks meant the employee doing them could work faster safely. So there was definitely a capital driven motivation but they had realized that it was more effective to use automation to increase productivity than eliminate jobs. You can argue that instead of automation you could have hired more people but those people would be specifically doing jobs that were inherently very dangerous or could cause serious longterm injury.

I have some other examples from the software space where automation was pursue for additional governance or accuracy rather than job elimination. This isn’t to say these companies respect their workers or wouldn’t separately pursue automation as elimination. I’ve definitely seen the same companies pursue RPA to eliminate roles as well.

My only point is not all automation is solely for the elimination of jobs and some is even to the benefit of the worker (as a side effect). Bernie’s thesis should be that automation is developed primarily with the goals of capital in mind and any benefit to a worker is incidental to the process.

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

All else equal, doesn't more productive workers mean less workers, though?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

xiaoren posted:

You're not supposed to say that part out loud

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry no all automation is bad. That's why I'm going to create a sexy hip new tech start up where all our microchips are bespoke hand made chips with no automated machines involved, just people wearing hemp clothing slowly weaving atoms one at a time using a sort of custom gesture control we've created that looks like a needle & thread.

If we need to make a lot of chips we'll just put a lot of workers in a sort of let's call it a shop floor so they can sweat away under some large overhead fans. A sweat shop, if you will.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

xiaoren posted:

depends on if you factor in burnout and the never-ending need for consumers to consume

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Oglethorpe posted:

depends on if you factor in burnout and the never-ending need for consumers to consume

We are moving past this

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

gradenko_2000 posted:

anyway I was reading Bernie Sanders's latest book and he brings up a point that I'd never quite grasped before: the specific way in which automation is pursued, developed, and implemented ends up being expressed in a very specific (one might say "mutated") fashion because of how capitalism means it's only done with the goal of eliminating labor and dodging taxes

if you have ten employees making doohickeys, you have to pay them, and you have to pay a payroll tax for employing them

you don't want automation that makes the job safer, you just want automation that eliminates as many of those ten employees as possible. You might not even be pursuing automation that's more productive, because the thing you're really trying to get away from, is paying their wages, and paying the payroll tax

and because this is the only goal of automation, there are avenues of automation that are never explored. I suppose it's similar to how in pharmaceuticals, "treatments" are more popular than long-term cures, or procedures that cater to rare conditions, because those things are not profitable

Also if you do eliminate those jobs your profits will eventually go down because exploiting labour is the only long-term source of profit. Short term you might have reduced your operating costs vs competitors and thus be able to (only slightly) undercut their prices to gain more market share and profits (the delta between your cost savings and your new, only slightly lower price), but as they catch up to your automation innovation, as long as there is competition and you're not in a rent-seeking position, prices will fall all the way to reflect the reduced cost of the manufacturing process minus 10 workers plus the cost of the automation.

xiaoren posted:

It could mean more wealth generally. Aka, more output to be shared among the population. Or it could mean less hours worked per worker to receive the same output, whic is also a form of wealth for those workers.

In practice though, yes.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Cut your labor costs sufficiently to the bone and lose redundancy. So when Barry or Sheila gets sick, or simply quits for another position, you've now lost a link in your workflow. Maybe if you're really lucky they'll be the one person who knows how to do something sort of obscure while also being sort of mission critical.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

It's called Lean and Just in Time or maybe Agile.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I have 100% worked for companies that automated for the sake of reducing headcount. The fun part is when they start trying to reduce headcount in the departments that maintain and administer the automated systems.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I have worked for a company that reduced headcount because (software) automation would soon be implemented.

It wasn't soon implemented.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Orange Devil posted:

prices will fall
Thats a bold prediction.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

I have worked for a company that reduced headcount because (software) automation would soon be implemented.

It wasn't soon implemented.

Best of both worlds. :cheers:

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

Orange Devil posted:

It could mean more wealth generally. Aka, more output to be shared among the population. Or it could mean less hours worked per worker to receive the same output, whic is also a form of wealth for those workers.

In practice though, yes.

'All else equal' of course including the current mode of production, which I think drives the 'in practice' part

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1676902623864078336?s=20

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the app is utter poo poo

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Something Awful will win the social media wars

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

move fast and break things being replaced with move slow and just buy out the opposition

xiaoren
Dec 9, 2021

They should all let users pay to gently caress up each other's user profiles imo.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If you could pay five bucks to change someone's twitter av the company would earn trillions overnight

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I’m glad that the American economy is so heavily reliant on the tech sector which is doing such great work innovating with novel products like “twitter but with Facebook branding” and “twitter except not functional” and “plagiarism robot”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

net work error posted:

I think their Twitter knockoff might be the one to win simply because of the low barrier to entry. How long it lasts is a different story though

I downloaded it and it would only let me use my throwaway instagram account. I think Threads will live, but it’ll be a place for brands and influencers, posters are still gonna go somewhere else and Bluesky could seal that today if they would just open up sign ups to everyone.