Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

this power plant b plot is boring as poo poo. things really slowed down since the whole wagner incident huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

mlmp08 posted:

reporting if they hear/observe shelling

Did the IEAE ever figure out who was shelling the nuclear plant?

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

mlmp08 posted:

The safest move for Russia would be to just let the IAEA look at stuff like the roof. If Ukraine is full of poo poo, the IAEA can say so! And then if there were a false flag shelling of the plant roof, the IAEA could at least confirm they didn’t see poo poo on their daily inspection or whatever.

For the roof specifically if they find nothing it’s just proof that the Russians temporarily moved everything incriminating and are going to move it right back, we are dealing with a very crafty enemy here- so crafty in fact that whatever we can conceive of doing, that is as much assurance as we need that they are in fact the ones doing it.

The five conditions essentially stipulate that the plant be fully vulnerable to attack so I can see why they aren’t being met

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BearsBearsBears posted:

Some Russians using crude shells cleverly disguised to mimic a HIMARS impact.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The delivery of Danish, Dutch and German Leopard 1s has been delayed.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

BearsBearsBears posted:

Don't think so. Their team has only been on ground for the last 5-6 months, so not the whole conflict. And it's not like the IAEA team have a counter-battery radar of their own to monitor artillery fire. Their actions tend to be to report if there is damage from shelling, loudly complain that everyone should stop loving shooting in the vicinity of the plant and its power substations.

The IAEA either cannot attribute very well or chooses not to for fear that either Russia or Ukraine will go after them or limit their safety mission further.

The US reported at least one instance last year where US sensors picked up Russia firing artillery from in/around the ZNPP, then Ukraine fired back at the Russian artillery. US highlighted this both to message to Ukraine not to shoot at the ZNPP, even if "they did it first" and also to message tto Russia that there were actors aware that Russia was operating artillery for offensive fires from the vicinity of ZNPP.

Based on IAEA reporting, Russia no longer has the amount of heavy weapons in/around the ZNPP that were present when they did their first visit, prior to establishing a more permanent IAEA presence.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Oh maybe they are gonna cut Ukraine loose. I figured fighting Russia to the last Ukrianian was NATOs goal in this

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

The delivery of Danish, Dutch and German Leopard 1s has been delayed.

Shouldn't be a problem unless Ukrainian army wants to try another offensive.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

First, people said IAEA would simply inspect and find any malicious activity at ZNPP if it existed, so IAEA’s lack of findings are evidence that Ukraine is lying, and Russia has no secret military ops at ZNPP.

Now it’s of course the IAEA should be restricted by Russia from doing thorough site inspections, because if the IAEA inspects ZNPP, they might find out about secret Russian military ops.

It’s not a very consistent idea expressed.

More consistent would just be to say that you believe without requiring evidence that Ukraine is lying and Russia is truthful. Then at least the logic would track.

Russia could be denying access as a counter to the fact NATO countries are denying access to investigation material into their own loving pipeline.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

mlmp08 posted:

The safest move for Russia would be to just let the IAEA look at stuff like the roof. If Ukraine is full of poo poo, the IAEA can say so! And then if there were a false flag shelling of the plant roof, the IAEA could at least confirm they didn’t see poo poo on their daily inspection or whatever.

Hopefully no one is going to attack the plant anyway, so I hope this is all stage theater bullshit anyway. But Russia is missing an opportunity to let the IAEA fully inspect and then for the IAEA to publicly report they found nothing to corroborate Ukraine’s claims, since Ukraine is claiming there are explosives on specific roof points.

lmao. saddams wmd inspectors again. why is the mic so boring?

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

CODChimera posted:

this power plant b plot is boring as poo poo. things really slowed down since the whole wagner incident huh

Now that everything is back to normal they're even rearming prigozhin and giving him back all of his seized funds

How strange 🤔

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vomik posted:

lmao. saddams wmd inspectors again. why is the mic so boring?

well, in that case, the US had spent months building a small coalition and deploying combat power into the middle east, and had already said internally they were going to war, so it's a bit different when you've got hundreds of thousands of US troops waiting on the border for the order to execute. In this case, there is zero US force or coalition just waiting to leap across the border.

I don't think this conflict is terribly analogous with the 2003 Iraq War.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i’ll tell the paratroopers in romania to go home then

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
This war is a lot more analagous to the War of the Ring

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

Hopefully no one is going to attack the plant anyway, so I hope this is all stage theater bullshit anyway. But Russia is missing an opportunity to let the IAEA fully inspect and then for the IAEA to publicly report they found nothing to corroborate Ukraine’s claims, since Ukraine is claiming there are explosives on specific roof points.

You know very well if they get full access, they will inconclusively report they didn't see anything precisely at the time they were looking to make sure it can be spun to "Russia just moved the explosive for the inspection" and never truly say Ukraine is full of poo poo.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jel Shaker posted:

i’ll tell the paratroopers in romania to go home then

lmao. If you think the US is preparing to imminently launch some ground war into Russia or Ukraine and your evidence is that there are US forces inside NATO countries, I can't really help you. That's a level of believing dumb poo poo from which you can't be rescued.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/polinaivanovva/status/1676916922699374592?s=20

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

well, in that case, the US had spent months building a small coalition and deploying combat power into the middle east, and had already said internally they were going to war, so it's a bit different when you've got hundreds of thousands of US troops waiting on the border for the order to execute. In this case, there is zero US force or coalition just waiting to leap across the border.

I don't think this conflict is terribly analogous with the 2003 Iraq War.

you don’t think a lot

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vomik posted:

you don’t think a lot

I'll be proven so wrong when the US invades Ukraine and Russia on the grounds of IAEA inspectors of ZNPP. I'm gonna look so dumb then.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

why would the US want the war to end?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

there is really no incentive for Russia to care one way or another because they are not going to blow up the plant, and even if they allowed the inspectors in and then Ukraine blew up the plant they wouldn't be exonerated in the propaganda game.

Conversely if the plant gets blown up by "someone" regardless of the propaganda bs actual western intelligence won't believe Russia did it and it won't convince anyone to escalate in a way favorable to Ukraine.

PS still noone is going to intentionally blow up the plant they didn't do it the last 5 times this came up and they won't do it now

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

text editor posted:

Interesting choice of facial features on that caricature

Yeah uh, might wanna delete that?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

I'll be proven so wrong when the US invades Ukraine and Russia on the grounds of IAEA inspectors of ZNPP. I'm gonna look so dumb then.

looks like you’re ahead of schedule

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

mlmp08 posted:

And it's not like the IAEA team have a counter-battery radar of their own to monitor artillery fire.
You don't need a counter-batttery radar to know where shells are coming from, you can just listen to them. You only need a counter-battery radar to be able to accurately fire back.

mlmp08 posted:

The US reported at least one instance last year where US sensors picked up Russia firing artillery from in/around the ZNPP
Do you have a source for this? What kind of sensors did the US have and where were they? The only practical way I can think of is satellites. Otherwise the sensors would have to be in Ukraine and operated by either Ukrainian troops or NATO troops.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Improbable: this would imply that there are western leaders capable of sensible and reasonable behaviour.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

BearsBearsBears posted:

You don't need a counter-batttery radar to know where shells are coming from, you can just listen to them. You only need a counter-battery radar to be able to accurately fire back.

Do you have a source for this? What kind of sensors did the US have and where were they? The only practical way I can think of is satellites. Otherwise the sensors would have to be in Ukraine and operated by either Ukrainian troops or NATO troops.

Surely the US wouldn't just blatantly lie about an offical enemy. They've been so honest about everything these last 200+ years

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

Improbable: this would imply that there are western leaders capable of sensible and reasonable behaviour.

These are former US officials so people probably waiting to see if biden shits himself and someone else becomes president in 2024

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

BearsBearsBears posted:

You don't need a counter-batttery radar to know where shells are coming from, you can just listen to them.

:what:

I don't think anyone's going to take it seriously if the IAEA says "I heard explosions, and I know they were Russian explosions because of my special ears." Especially in a warzone where multiple sides are firing. Sometimes when artillery comes in, you don't hear anything at all until the explosion happens.

quote:

Do you have a source for this? What kind of sensors did the US have and where were they? The only practical way I can think of is satellites.

They didn't specify the sensor specifically by name, but satellite is a reasonable inference, either from detection of fires or just having imagery of artillery in/among ZNPP.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ending the war won't be enough.

People keep posting stories here that show how Russia has started to militarize and realign itself. Even if the war with Ukraine ends, the war with NATO won't.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

why would the US want the war to end?

They're running out of weapons and/or Ukrainians, and are facing a scenario where Russia can annex as much of Ukraine as they drat please.

They never counted on Russia both surviving the sanctions and being able to ramp up weapon/ammo production to fight a multi-year war of attrition.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mlmp08 posted:

Who do you think did it?

who do you think did it?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

In a high-level example of the back-channel diplomacy taking place behind the scenes, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov met with members of the group for several hours in April in New York, four former officials and two current officials told NBC News.

On the agenda of the April meeting were some of the thorniest issues in the war in Ukraine, like the fate of Russian-held territory that Ukraine may never be able to liberate, and the search for an elusive diplomatic off-ramp that could be tolerable to both sides.

Sitting down with Lavrov were Richard Haass, a former diplomat and the outgoing president of the Council on Foreign Relations, current and former officials said. The group was joined by Europe expert Charles Kupchan and Russia expert Thomas Graham, both former White House and State Department officials who are Council on Foreign Relations fellows.

Going to bet that the conversations were way different when Ukrainian spring counter offensive was about to begin.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Ending the war won't be enough.

People keep posting stories here that show how Russia has started to militarize and realign itself. Even if the war with Ukraine ends, the war with NATO won't.

that's the point though, better for selling weapons

if the US is preparing for negotiations in Ukraine now (big if) certainly that is only because it is starting to run out of value as a sales tool and become a liability

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

AnimeIsTrash posted:

who do you think did it?

i did it

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

AnimeIsTrash posted:

who do you think did it?

While I can rule a lot of people out, hard to rule it in to anything terribly specific. Was curious if the poster had a specific actor or was going to be vague like "The West" which ok... I think there's an extremely good chance that a state actor in Europe did it.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

this is some real backroom politic poo poo

quote:

The discussions have taken place with the knowledge of the Biden administration, but not at its direction, with the former officials involved in the Lavrov meeting briefing the White House National Security Council afterward about what transpired, two of the sources said.

Why are they putting the story out now?

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Love the morons replying that this is "treason" even though the article states that the Biden administration was aware of the talks (and thus very likely has no issue with them occuring)

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

While I can rule a lot of people out, hard to rule it in to anything terribly specific. Was curious if the poster had a specific actor or was going to be vague like "The West" which ok... I think there's an extremely good chance that a state actor in Europe did it.

Shut the gently caress up

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

:what:

I don't think anyone's going to take it seriously if the IAEA says "I heard explosions, and I know they were Russian explosions because of my special ears." Especially in a warzone where multiple sides are firing. Sometimes when artillery comes in, you don't hear anything at all until the explosion happens.

They didn't specify the sensor specifically by name, but satellite is a reasonable inference, either from detection of fires or just having imagery of artillery in/among ZNPP.

I predict explosions, and I know they were Russian explosions because of my special citizenship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

speng31b posted:

that's the point though, better for selling weapons

if the US is preparing for negotiations in Ukraine now (big if) certainly that is only because it is starting to run out of value as a sales tool and become a liability

i don't think even the MIC wants to go back to the cold war. they made more money than ever after it was over and that's all they care about. that want the US in bullshit wars far from home, they don't want an actual military threat