Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I will admit my initial guess that threads would do well was under the assumption that it would have basic features like chronological order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
why is number angry today?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

FlapYoJacks posted:

Too many people got jobs and average pay increased too much. Labor must be disciplined.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

cat botherer posted:

I've got a PhD and 5 years high-level data science experience, and a lot of connections. I got laid off on the 3rd round and haven't found poo poo despite applying to about 500 jobs at this point. I almost got this one job but lost out because they said I was "too engineering-focused." They only asked me engineering questions, of course that's what I'll talk about.

for roughly 100 cold applications, i get 75 with no response, 20 automated rejections, 2-3 "already filled" or "position cancelled" emails, and 1-2 phone screens that maybe get a second interview half the time. recruiters are useless and don't understand anything they're hiring for. all of them straight up do not reply to messages on linkedin. i've had several hiring managers ghost me, some of whom who were the ones who reached out first.

referrals are non-existent now even when asking on various sources. i can get some interviews from cold applications which is better than a lot of people, but the bar is so high and opaque that you can't tell what they're hiring for, and the roles are never the exact same so you can only hope your specific experience is exactly what they want. most of the time they're not actually hiring hence all the ghost jobs.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Too many people got jobs and average pay increased too much. Labor must be disciplined.

My pay increase was way more than I expected but nothing to really boast about in terms of overal % increase.

I guess I'm the problem?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

net work error posted:

I will admit my initial guess that threads would do well was under the assumption that it would have basic features like chronological order.

Has anyone who runs threads commented on the blowback from everyone wanting that basic feature? Or things like seeing the people you follow and not just influencers and grifters?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

RC Cola posted:

Has anyone who runs threads commented on the blowback from everyone wanting that basic feature? Or things like seeing the people you follow and not just influencers and grifters?

They want you to just see influencers and grifters.

Of all the twitter replacements out there, the only one I actually like is cohost, which is actually a pretty neat platform. Naturally, no one uses it. Threads is DOA, I don't understand how Mastodon works, and blusky is invite only and run by the same guy who flipped twitter to Elon in the first place.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I've used cohost briefly and it's nice. Like a mix between Tumblr and Twitter that is also worker owned if I remember correctly.

Definitely give it a look. No news orgs as far as I know.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

NUMBER NEEDS BLOOD

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

triple sulk posted:

for roughly 100 cold applications, i get 75 with no response, 20 automated rejections, 2-3 "already filled" or "position cancelled" emails, and 1-2 phone screens that maybe get a second interview half the time. recruiters are useless and don't understand anything they're hiring for. all of them straight up do not reply to messages on linkedin. i've had several hiring managers ghost me, some of whom who were the ones who reached out first.

referrals are non-existent now even when asking on various sources. i can get some interviews from cold applications which is better than a lot of people, but the bar is so high and opaque that you can't tell what they're hiring for, and the roles are never the exact same so you can only hope your specific experience is exactly what they want. most of the time they're not actually hiring hence all the ghost jobs.

A friend tried getting me hired at his company. Heard nothing back for awhile, the friend asked what was us, they had dropped me immediately because they wanted someone with experience in something that wasn't on the job listing.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Rochallor posted:

Of all the twitter replacements out there, the only one I actually like is cohost, which is actually a pretty neat platform. Naturally, no one uses it. Threads is DOA, I don't understand how Mastodon works, and blusky is invite only and run by the same guy who flipped twitter to Elon in the first place.

all the federated poo poo is literally just a webring

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

yahoo finance says it's bc of the likelihood of the fed raising interest rates this month (bc of the good news about jobs & pay lol).

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Rochallor posted:

Tbf if I had a huge company with no real business model, I'd also force the richest man to buy my company for a zillion dollars if he put it in writing

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Yeah I should say, I can't fault him for the business decision, but there's nothing to stop him from selling blusky to the next credulous billionaire looking to cannibalize it.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Lol it took 7 raises to go from $13 to $15 an hour

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

love to look at the threads feed and it has pokemane and t*m br*dy

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

tim.. brody...?

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Rochallor posted:

mastodon just be sending posts every which way

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Lmao but republicans are better with the economy

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

both parties are great for the economy, because crushing the poor into a fine paste and using them as ink for dollar bills is good for the economy

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

alarumklok posted:

both parties are great for the economy, because crushing the poor into a fine paste and using them as ink for dollar bills is good for the economy

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

aggieland is a hellhole

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

texas a&m: not even once

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Cool, can I have one?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

they added 497000 searching for hidden fees jobs

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Wow, only seven raises to hit my state's undeniably lovely minimum wage. Amazing!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

SardonicTyrant posted:

Cool, can I have one?

sure: https://drivers.uber.com/

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

they never ever go much deeper into these jobs added because im going to guess like 95% of them are temporary or garbage jobs

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's difficult for me to believe the official line from Bluesky that they need to keep gatekeeping registrations because they don't have enough infrastructure available to support an influx of users. Part of the whole "cloud computing" concept is that you should be able to deploy large-scale projects very quickly.

I imagine cash on hand is the problem, not the server capacity. AWS or Azure will happily spin up as many server instances as you want but they expect to be paid for it. As I understand it most social media sites take forever to turn a profit (if they ever do) and have to survive off venture capital investments until they come up with a way to make money. So right now a 10,000x increase in users probably won't equal a 10,000x increase in profit for them.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

DancingShade posted:

Cloud computing might have meant something originally but these days it just means "someone else's server rack".

it means "just let amazon/microsoft/google do it"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Atjack has like a bazillion dollars from selling versioj 1.0 to elon though

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

HallelujahLee posted:

they never ever go much deeper into these jobs added because im going to guess like 95% of them are temporary or garbage jobs

or fake jobs to project growth/internal hires only that are posted externally

Morbus
May 18, 2004

xiaoren posted:

All else equal, doesn't more productive workers mean less workers, though?

Sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly, but almost always yes

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

HallelujahLee posted:

it's gonna be another recovery like 2009

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

anime was right posted:

or fake jobs to project growth/internal hires only that are posted externally

forgot about those yeah those are easily 40% at minimum

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

I'm guessing he didn't get to where he is by spending his own money.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
also some jobs need to be posted publicly and not filled to get H1Bs in them

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Saltpowered posted:

I absolutely don’t want to give it to companies but Bernie’s thesis there isn’t company accurate. Many companies do pursue automation for job replacement but some, even incredibly lovely ones, often pursue automation for reasons other than job elimination.

I used to work for a complete dogshit company in most every way who was pursuing RPA (robotic process automation) in their factories but not to fully eliminate jobs. They had put RPA in their factories as an augmentation to existing works specific for very repetitive tasks that could injure works over time or dangerous tasks.

They were able to increase production rate in the areas they added RPA because automating these tasks meant the employee doing them could work faster safely. So there was definitely a capital driven motivation but they had realized that it was more effective to use automation to increase productivity than eliminate jobs. You can argue that instead of automation you could have hired more people but those people would be specifically doing jobs that were inherently very dangerous or could cause serious longterm injury.

I have some other examples from the software space where automation was pursue for additional governance or accuracy rather than job elimination. This isn’t to say these companies respect their workers or wouldn’t separately pursue automation as elimination. I’ve definitely seen the same companies pursue RPA to eliminate roles as well.

My only point is not all automation is solely for the elimination of jobs and some is even to the benefit of the worker (as a side effect). Bernie’s thesis should be that automation is developed primarily with the goals of capital in mind and any benefit to a worker is incidental to the process.

Yeah this guy knows what's up. Eliminating jobs is absolutely a reason to pursue automation, but at least where I've seen it, it's pretty far down the list since those easy to automate job killers were done along ago. Industrial manufacturing processes thrive on high precision, speed, and very low error rates. Humans suck at this so you make robots that do $thing as precisely and quickly as possible.

The entire problem around automation is indeed capitalism, but that's simply due to the fact that our increasingly automated factories have most of the surplus squeezed into the hands of a tiny cadre of assholes instead of broadly being used to improve the standard of living for most people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Shear Modulus posted:

Private pedo islands don't buy themselves, you know.