Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Careful in your glass house, bigot.

You first, homephobe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

No, no, the term you're thinking of is "cocksucker."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
First F&F, now this. Is there something in the water?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Halloween Jack posted:

A friend just showed me Southland Tales to celebrate Independence Day, so in the spirit of that I'm going to propose that the earth's rotation is incrementally slowing down and driving us all insane.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
lmao the drama is coming from inside the thread

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

You first, homephobe

A bad joke referencing a wrestling document from the 90s in a wrestling thread is definitely the same thing as casually calling people slurs then also demanding everyone respect a guy's mustache.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
I am the only normal person on these forums, unfortunately

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ominous Jazz posted:

I am the only normal person on these forums, unfortunately

if you say so

Ominous Jazz posted:

i, literally the adolf hitler, am also the cleveland torso murderer

i'll murder ur torso, don't even test me

i also hate puppies and eat them all the time

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Don't leak my dms

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Since the thread is taking a moment to go completely feral I'm going to also share this collage of dialog from Southland Tales because it sure was a movie that made iconic actors say some stuff...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
tg industry discussion: these magic cards are too dang expensive!!!

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
They should make lord lf the rings cards

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Admiral Joeslop posted:

A bad joke referencing a wrestling document from the 90s in a wrestling thread is definitely the same thing as casually calling people slurs then also demanding everyone respect a guy's mustache.

I didn't demand anyone to respect jack loving poo poo. I said it's cringe in so many words and you're doing the whole "actually, I'll just pretend you said something else and get mad at it" thing that this thread is known for lol.

By all means, everyone in this thread, please go ahead and poo poo on this random dude all day if you're allowed by the mods, you do you, lol but if you have to dig through my probations to find something to bitch at me about, and it's literally me making GBS threads on MENSA members, an organization infamous for its member's white supremacy, obsession with eugenics, and baffling smugness at having the ability to pay money for a test (that hungover people have passed) that grants you the ability to pay money for a yearly membership....while I was also mocking Derek Smart, an obsessed loser who runs around muttering threats of legal action at people all the god damned time while being a washed out has-been, then I just have no idea and I cannot help you my man lol, I will never apologize for making GBS threads on MENSA or Derek Smart - I think it's bad to put any stock in IQ tests, because everyone that ever has goes from "I have 153 brain points! That's neat!" to "Anyone with less than 100 brain points should be sterilized" in the time it takes to take a poo poo, and I think it's bad to screech about lawyers the second someone brings up the fact that your only contribution to the games industry was a terrible lovely game that reviewed poorly in the early 2000s and you've done nothing since except screech at anyone who points out the game existed(and sucked)

Please keep it up though, this is a lot of fun, can't wait to get probated for it lol

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I didn't demand anyone to respect jack loving poo poo. I said it's cringe in so many words and you're doing the whole "actually, I'll just pretend you said something else and get mad at it" thing that this thread is known for lol.

By all means, everyone in this thread, please go ahead and poo poo on this random dude all day if you're allowed by the mods, you do you, lol but if you have to dig through my probations to find something to bitch at me about, and it's literally me making GBS threads on MENSA members, an organization infamous for its member's white supremacy, obsession with eugenics, and baffling smugness at having the ability to pay money for a test (that hungover people have passed) that grants you the ability to pay money for a yearly membership....while I was also mocking Derek Smart, an obsessed loser who runs around muttering threats of legal action at people all the god damned time while being a washed out has-been, then I just have no idea and I cannot help you my man lol, I will never apologize for making GBS threads on MENSA or Derek Smart - I think it's bad to put any stock in IQ tests, because everyone that ever has goes from "I have 153 brain points! That's neat!" to "Anyone with less than 100 brain points should be sterilized" in the time it takes to take a poo poo, and I think it's bad to screech about lawyers the second someone brings up the fact that your only contribution to the games industry was a terrible lovely game that reviewed poorly in the early 2000s and you've done nothing since except screech at anyone who points out the game existed(and sucked)

Please keep it up though, this is a lot of fun, can't wait to get probated for it lol

I mean, it's probably more just generally considered extremely bad form to use the word you used to poo poo on those people :shrug:

Like gently caress Clarence Thomas, but like you'd still probably rightfully be probated for calling him a slur lol.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Clarence Thomas is a poopy doo-doo head.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Nuns with Guns posted:

Since the thread is taking a moment to go completely feral I'm going to also share this collage of dialog from Southland Tales because it sure was a movie that made iconic actors say some stuff...

That is easily my all time favorite terrible movie. I don't think there's a dumpster fire of a movie I love more.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Slightly off topic but it seems like a lot of people try to write mass battle rules for TTRPGS

Has anyone here EVER ran it before? How'd it go?

I've run a mass battle in Torchbearer before. The system uses the same basic sub-system for all conflicts. You play four cards against each other in sets of three, all the cards interact with each other in different ways, the type of conflict you're doing varies up which skills and weapons you use. The system details a bunch of different conflict types, but doesn't have much for Battle conflicts, so I wrote my own up.

The setup was the band of wandering adventurers, most of them fairly notable high levels by this point, came to a town that was under siege by an undead army that had been sent by a neighbouring necromancer. They smashed through the siege, killing the Death Knight in charge of it in the process, and fled into the town, where they found the forces there in disarray. The mayor saw the prominent and clearly competent wandering adventurers and promptly put them in charge of the local militia before going and locking himself in his estate.

The way I set up the system is the minimum buy-in for participating in a Battle conflict at all was either having command of a squad of soldiers, or being an exceptionally powerful being that could do the Sauron thing of wading into groups of soldiers and sending them flying with one swipe of your giant mace. And assuming you're not one of those exceptionally powerful beings, you mostly rolled various command type skills in the conflict to control your troops, apart from one action which let you use your soldiers as a distraction while you yourself dove into the heart of things.

Anyway, the intention going into this was pushing the PCs into situations that they hadn't been in before, mostly having been tomb robbing adventurers, and they were all woefully inept at actually commanding an army. I gave them the benefit of the city's walls, which would provide a big bonus until the enemy took the appropriate actions to get rid of it. And with the Death Knight gone the remaining skeleton soldiers weren't particularly skilled at the command skills either, but they had the weight of numbers giving them some hefty bonuses for that.

For the battle itself I opened with the undead giant going first and "disarming" the city wall by scripting the appropriate action for that and narrated it smashing the walls down with its giant club while the PCs led the militia in killing off a bunch of supporting skeletons with ranged weapons. There were a few actions of the PCs leading the militia in a street fight against the skeletons pouring into the town through the smashed wall. And then finally the halfling scripting the risky personal attack action against the giant and describing himself running down a remaining segment of wall, jumping onto the giant as it was busy swinging its club around smashing buildings, and stabbing it repeatedly in the head until it finally went down.

After the conflict in Torchbearer you count how many conflict hit points each side lost and then figure out a compromise that the winner owes to the loser based on that. As the PCs lost all by one hit point the compromise we ended up with was the town militia was scattered and broken and effectively ruined as a fighting force for the foreseeable future, as well as the town being left defenseless by the ruined city wall. Which essentially led to a bandit leader rival of the group rolling up to the city, executing the mayor, and taking over running the place as soon as the PCs left town to go deal with the necromancer.

Also the battle took place in freezing rain, which requires a health test after strenuous activities performed in it or becoming sick. The halfling went into it already sick, and failed the health test, so after killing the giant the poor little guy just couldn't handle it any more and keeled over and died in the freezing mud. I love Torchbearer.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

In a just world, "Clearance Thomas" would already be an insult.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't see how being flagged as "catch-able in the hate speech spam filters" is any better of a deterrent than banning.

I don't have the tools to teach it well, but the TL;DR is that you need to consider why a person does something to effectively modify the problem behavior.

What's within your control is only the behavior of your social media site, so you configure it remove value (in posting hate speech) while adding costs.

Right now the only cost is "banned for a minute," which isn't a permanent solution.

Filters and pattern recognition gives your automation and moderation team a bigger toolbox to shrink the nazis' carrots and embiggen your stick.

You're never going to make them into good people, but you can get them to gently caress off back to Reddit or Telegram.

E: this probably should have a thread of its own. So far the primary intersection of psychology and technology has been weaponizing microtransactions against tweens, but there's also room to use it for Good.

moths fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 6, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i fursonally think people are kind of talking past each other because i dont think anyone is actually advocating against banning nazis

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think you're right.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

That is easily my all time favorite terrible movie. I don't think there's a dumpster fire of a movie I love more.

Southland Tales is a true disasterpiece, yeah. There’s a prequel comic too, which is basically only worth reading for the included pages of the script for the movie the Rock’s character is writing.

The Box is about as ludicrous but far less quotable/lovable (and I’m convinced it’s secretly a prequel to Phantasm).

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah it’s called posting on something awful

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yes, this is disagreement on nuance and intensity of enforcement to avoid bycatch (the number 1488 would come up in any sequential series of integers but is also used by racists) and also just how bad the troops are. I think.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

CitizenKeen posted:

It was a trip, that's for sure lol.

moths posted:

I don't have the tools to teach it well, but the TL;DR is that you need to consider why a person does something to effectively modify the problem behavior.

What's within your control is only the behavior of your social media site, so you configure it remove value (in posting hate speech) while adding costs.

Right now the only cost is "banned for a minute," which isn't a permanent solution.

Filters and pattern recognition gives your automation and moderation team a bigger toolbox to shrink the nazis' carrots and embiggen your stick.

You're never going to make them into good people, but you can get them to gently caress off back to Reddit or Telegram.

E: this probably should have a thread of its own. So far the primary intersection of psychology and technology has been weaponizing microtransactions against tweens, but there's also room to use it for Good.

I do think there's a fundamental fissure here both in what we're perceiving as effective behavior modification, and probably effective implementation of a system like this, but I'll try laying out the issues as I see it.

When I say that filters aren't "any better of a deterrent than banning" I think essentially they're just the same deterrent, but with a more opaque system that makes it easier to gently caress with people who shouldn't be flagged as part of a hate group, and ultimately still allowing lovely people to build a presence and self-promote on a big website.

You say being banned isn't a permanent or effective solution because it can be subverted with an alt, but if you know you're on the filter list that's also subverted the same way.

Internal flags and tracking processes can certainly be used to capture trends in hate movements, but I don't see how having permanent fixture accounts to track data around is necessary to this. Tracking catchphrases, language uses, fixations on certain people and gauging the level of violent rhetoric towards a person or group can be done. You could measure the "engangement" of a tweet or other post, but I don't know if any social media site would move do something like flagging one account and all its followers as filter material.

Opting to filter instead of banning doesn't seem like it's essential to this process, and along the way I don't think it's dissuading shitheads. The carrot is being on the platform, getting notoriety in the right circles and spinning that off into external success. The stick is being "censored by the left," which they love to farm outrage around. If you want them to gently caress off, then banning them instead of constructing elaborate automated systems just seems more efficient.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

While I think there's a strong argument that social media sites are vital to how RPGs are spread and discussed, I don't know that endlessly arguing over the most efficient and most morally correct way to stop the nazi tide onto them is gonna either produce anything materially useful.

Granted very little in here actually does do that, but instead how about "This argument seems to have run its course and entered a phase of circular arguing, where the only thing that happens is occasionally a new poster enters the roundabout"?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Colonel Cool posted:

I've run a mass battle in Torchbearer before. The system uses the same basic sub-system for all conflicts. You play four cards against each other in sets of three, all the cards interact with each other in different ways, the type of conflict you're doing varies up which skills and weapons you use. The system details a bunch of different conflict types, but doesn't have much for Battle conflicts, so I wrote my own up.

The setup was the band of wandering adventurers, most of them fairly notable high levels by this point, came to a town that was under siege by an undead army that had been sent by a neighbouring necromancer. They smashed through the siege, killing the Death Knight in charge of it in the process, and fled into the town, where they found the forces there in disarray. The mayor saw the prominent and clearly competent wandering adventurers and promptly put them in charge of the local militia before going and locking himself in his estate.

The way I set up the system is the minimum buy-in for participating in a Battle conflict at all was either having command of a squad of soldiers, or being an exceptionally powerful being that could do the Sauron thing of wading into groups of soldiers and sending them flying with one swipe of your giant mace. And assuming you're not one of those exceptionally powerful beings, you mostly rolled various command type skills in the conflict to control your troops, apart from one action which let you use your soldiers as a distraction while you yourself dove into the heart of things.

Anyway, the intention going into this was pushing the PCs into situations that they hadn't been in before, mostly having been tomb robbing adventurers, and they were all woefully inept at actually commanding an army. I gave them the benefit of the city's walls, which would provide a big bonus until the enemy took the appropriate actions to get rid of it. And with the Death Knight gone the remaining skeleton soldiers weren't particularly skilled at the command skills either, but they had the weight of numbers giving them some hefty bonuses for that.

For the battle itself I opened with the undead giant going first and "disarming" the city wall by scripting the appropriate action for that and narrated it smashing the walls down with its giant club while the PCs led the militia in killing off a bunch of supporting skeletons with ranged weapons. There were a few actions of the PCs leading the militia in a street fight against the skeletons pouring into the town through the smashed wall. And then finally the halfling scripting the risky personal attack action against the giant and describing himself running down a remaining segment of wall, jumping onto the giant as it was busy swinging its club around smashing buildings, and stabbing it repeatedly in the head until it finally went down.

After the conflict in Torchbearer you count how many conflict hit points each side lost and then figure out a compromise that the winner owes to the loser based on that. As the PCs lost all by one hit point the compromise we ended up with was the town militia was scattered and broken and effectively ruined as a fighting force for the foreseeable future, as well as the town being left defenseless by the ruined city wall. Which essentially led to a bandit leader rival of the group rolling up to the city, executing the mayor, and taking over running the place as soon as the PCs left town to go deal with the necromancer.

Also the battle took place in freezing rain, which requires a health test after strenuous activities performed in it or becoming sick. The halfling went into it already sick, and failed the health test, so after killing the giant the poor little guy just couldn't handle it any more and keeled over and died in the freezing mud. I love Torchbearer.

This sounds incredible and you should be writing batreps. Also I'm heading out to go camping but come monday Im buying this book

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Arivia posted:

Clarence Thomas is a poopy doo-doo head.

Hey, gently caress off with that poo poo. Insulting poopy doo-doo heads that way...

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

This sounds incredible and you should be writing batreps. Also I'm heading out to go camping but come monday Im buying this book

Good luck with it! I love Torchbearer, but it's a very divisive system in that most people I've tried it with have absolutely hated it.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I've run.... Four? Different mass battle systems for 5e, all pre-published stuff except this last one. They've all sucked badly enough that I wrote my own, and that one is actually working. Unfortunately it's so heavily tailored to the specific structure of the campaign's endgame that it's not easy to translate to other people's games, or I'd consider throw it up on DriveThru or something. The takeaway from this: do it yourself! You know exactly what you need, after all.

In other systems, I've had more success with prebuilt mass combat rules. Exalted 3e's mass combat was great fun for our group, who didn't mind that it was quite crunchy because gently caress it, we're already playing Exalted. Starforged does fleet battles quite nicely if you set them up properly. The new Battle rules for Burning Wheel look great, but I haven't had a chance to try them in play yet.

Colonel Cool posted:

Good luck with it! I love Torchbearer, but it's a very divisive system in that most people I've tried it with have absolutely hated it.

Colonel Cool has much more experience with Torchbearer than I do, but I do want to add something to this statement: Torchbearer is another beautifully designed Swiss watch of a game that knows exactly what it wants to do and accomplishes it perfectly, but the experience it wants to give you is brutal. It's a legitimately challenging game to play, with high expectations of engagement. It demands you gain some degree of system mastery - not a ton, but some - and even that won't save you all the time, because it's delivering on the old RPG net meme of "Fantasy loving Vietnam" where adventuring is a profession for the desperate and has a low survival rate.

My first Torchbearer experience was with Burning Wheel players who were able to manage the system mastery part handily and are naturally inclined to do the kind of poke-the-setting and make-elaborate-plans stuff that Torchbearer appreciates, but they got a little too cocky because of it, and when the dice turned against them they were all eaten by a giant spider. This is working as intended. Torchbearer rules.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

CitizenKeen posted:

Every time I think "it'd be funny to watch the commercials where the cars have sex, I remember laughing at that" I watch it and am reminded of how deeply loving off-putting and unfunny it is.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Kestral posted:

Torchbearer is another beautifully designed Swiss watch of a game that knows exactly what it wants to do and accomplishes it perfectly, but

It demands you gain some degree of system mastery - not a ton, but some

Underlining both of these statements--Torchbearer is great, but it is super tightly wound. Learning how the system works is super core to survival, but what's good or bad is actually pretty unintuitive most of the time; you need to be both trying super hard to survive but also taking on disadvantages for metacurrency and racking up failed rolls for progression. It's super fun once you figure out the rhythm, but if you go in blind it's easy to get lost in the mechanics and bounce off it pretty hard.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CitizenKeen posted:

How do you have Justin Timberlake in your movie and have the only music with him be lip syncing someone else's song? The Donnie Darko guy was obviously mad about several things and wanted to talk about all of them at the same time and it was just a mess. Watching Cheri Oteri's "simma down nah" character from SNL get what was coming to her for 15 years was a treat, I'll grant you.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Midjack posted:

How do you have Justin Timberlake in your movie and have the only music with him be lip syncing someone else's song? The Donnie Darko guy was obviously mad about several things and wanted to talk about all of them at the same time and it was just a mess. Watching Cheri Oteri's "simma down nah" character from SNL get what was coming to her for 15 years was a treat, I'll grant you.

Also Christopher Lambert is there to be one of The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse/A dude selling weapons out of the back of a van.

Parkreiner posted:

The Box is about as ludicrous but far less quotable/lovable (and I’m convinced it’s secretly a prequel to Phantasm).

I'm going to adopt this headcanon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Midjack posted:

How do you have Justin Timberlake in your movie and have the only music with him be lip syncing someone else's song?

Music rights, probably. Shows are still getting hosed over by record labels, see Helluva Boss.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
You do not have to see helluva boss

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Yeah please don't

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Out of curiosity, why not?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Midjack posted:

As opposed to, what, listening to Justin Timberlake's music? No thanks.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Helluva Boss is fine. Some people just cringe too much at the Invader Zim-era edgy/random humor elements (the Zim voice actor is voicing one of the main cast, that should give you an idea of the cultural influences), but it's a fun lowbrow show with well-animated musical sequences each episode.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I watched the pilot and it felt like it was written by an AI trained on Hot Topic's webstore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
It gives me a helluva headache