Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Stop all this critiquing! You're ruining my image of the strong and solid Biden economy!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Oglethorpe posted:

mastodon just be sending posts every which way

big deal i can disassociate entirely every day for free

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shear Modulus posted:

Atjack has like a bazillion dollars from selling versioj 1.0 to elon though

I thought he bailed on Twitter long before the sale to Elon? He resigned as CEO or something like that and moved to focus entirely on Square.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Jack was a founder and CEO for years. he cashed out bigly from the sale.

e:

quote:

As part of Musk’s acquisition of Twitter, Dorsey received a $978 million golden parachute.

Dorsey currently holds a $388 million ownership stake in Twitter, which Musk took private.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Complications posted:

Counter argument - slash the jobs, keep your price the same, use the increased profit margin to take out loans, buy up your competitors until there are only a handful of companies around who did the same thing, then everybody raises prices by 300% while lamenting increased costs due to insert crisis here in press releases and celebrating massive profits in shareholder conferences.

Bam! Everyone wins.

"as long as there is competition"

If there is no competition you are able to command rentseeking prices at which point your incentive to invest in automation exists only if expected labour cost savings > expected automation costs. Your selling price becomes completely decoupled from your production costs and instead becomes coupled to the costs of a substition product or the costs of entry of a new player in the market to become your competition. If no substitution product exists and costs to entry are sufficiently high, I guess your price becomes capped by the likelihood of inducing government antitrust or otherwise regulatory action, or inducing revolution.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 18:47 on Jul 6, 2023

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Soon we will all be gig economy workers. Driving around aimlessly delivering food and providing rides to each other in a never-ending cycle.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the you suck my dick, I'll suck yours economy

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RealityWarCriminal posted:

the you suck my dick; I'll suck yours economy

That would be a much better economy than we have right now.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The owner of the dick sucking factory extracts rents from every dick sucked

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

the globalists sent my dick sucking to china

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Shear Modulus posted:

The owner of the dick sucking factory extracts rents from every dick sucked

Dick sucking landlord

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

man I made 9/hr at my college job with a raise that brought it to a whole 9.25 after a year, kids these days don't know how good they have it

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Everyone wants to work now.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
my first job was a bag boy at a grocery store making 5.27 I think minimum wage was. they gave me a 6 cent raise after 6 months so I quit

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I never even got a raise at any of the minimum wage jobs I worked

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

nexous posted:

my first job was a bag boy at a grocery store making 5.27 I think minimum wage was. they gave me a 6 cent raise after 6 months so I quit

yeah same, and they told me if i was caught accepting tips i would be fired. i literally had to wear a button on my apron that said "please don't tip me, i'm happy to help!"

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

White necklace worker at the dick sucking factory

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

yahoo finance says it's bc of the likelihood of the fed raising interest rates this month (bc of the good news about jobs & pay lol).

gently caress :(

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

3 months into my 12 month SAVING ADVENTURE. going well. eating apples, oats, barley, some salt. but saving HUGE MONEY. in 9 months i'll smuggle it all out of country and dump it in some foreign market. i'll of course do my due diligence and pick somewhere to cause the most harm to the US. but that's still a ways out so i'm not sweating it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Idk why every loving retail job decided that we weren't allowed to accept tips but that poo poo was infuriating. When I was working at fedex office sometimes people would want to tip me because I am creative and i'd sometimes be able to figure out ways to make their project work in a better way than the customer initially would request and so they'd offer to tip me and I always hated the - look around, check im not under a camera - oh gently caress my manager's looking "no im so sorry I can't take a tip"
I did get slipped concert tickets and stuff a few times because I made really nice flyers.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

HallelujahLee posted:

they never ever go much deeper into these jobs added because im going to guess like 95% of them are temporary or garbage jobs

We lumped gig work, part time retail/food service, and full time bullshit jobs with health coverage all together. Full employment!

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

I thought he bailed on Twitter long before the sale to Elon? He resigned as CEO or something like that and moved to focus entirely on Square.

resigning from CEO doesn't mean you can't stay on the board of directors or hold a stake

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

skooma512 posted:

We lumped gig work, part time retail/food service, and full time bullshit jobs with health coverage all together. Full employment!

And the median / average worker income numbers that we track, which were around $54K/yr last I checked, only count full time employees. If you lump in gig workers and people working part time for reasons other than choice, that median worker income drops to ~$29k.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i made $20/hr in my work study job sitting at the reference collection desk in college.

that was nearly 20 loving years ago

this sucks

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i made $20/hr in my work study job sitting at the reference collection desk in college.

this sucks
forget it jim, it's texas. thou that's pretty good figgies, wtf

i worked at a chemistry lab for several years at community college in 2005-7 and i think i made about $8.75 @ 20-40 hrs a week which was good weed and tuition money at the time, plus i got to steal a bunch of chemicals. i later worked at a political science department at uc davis and i think i made around $11-12-hr just fixing IT and updating the website while doing absolutely nothing. went back running the entire chemistry lab as an STNC for $15/hr after i graduated in 2011 'cuz i couldn't get a job anywhere else.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

this sucks

how? my work study job started at $9 and capped at $12 15 years ago. we could only do max 20 hours/week too so I had to do a bunch of economic and psychological studies to pay for food and booze

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Elon's pumping the breaks harder than a Tesla driver when autodrive takes over

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1677005856179642368?t=0_pgcycYIU3h1KweZo3ARg&s=19

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Father Wendigo posted:

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1677005856179642368?t=0_pgcycYIU3h1KweZo3ARg&s=19

Switching from ketamine to psilocybin

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

forget it jim, it's texas. thou that's pretty good figgies, wtf

i worked at a chemistry lab for several years at community college in 2005-7 and i think i made about $8.75 @ 20-40 hrs a week which was good weed and tuition money at the time, plus i got to steal a bunch of chemicals. i later worked at a political science department at uc davis and i think i made around $11-12-hr just fixing IT and updating the website while doing absolutely nothing. went back running the entire chemistry lab as an STNC for $15/hr after i graduated in 2011 'cuz i couldn't get a job anywhere else.

whats an STNC?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Father Wendigo posted:

Thank you Zuck for releasing a terrible product

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

skooma512 posted:

someone should UNLUMP THEM... see the TRUTH

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Xaris posted:

forget it, Jim; it's Texas. thou that's pretty good figgies, wtf

I worked at a chemistry lab for several years at community college in 2005-7, and I think I made about $8.75 @ 20-40 hrs a week which was good weed and tuition money at the time, plus I got to steal a bunch of chemicals. I later worked at a political science department at UC Davis, and I think I made around $11-12-hr just fixing IT and updating the website while doing absolutely nothing. I went back to running the entire chemistry lab as an STNC for $15/hr after I graduated in 2011 'cuz I couldn't get a job anywhere else.

$8.75 is now $13.95/hr. What was the community college? It would be interesting to check tuition/income ratio from then vs today.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

unlump the polls

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

And the median / average worker income numbers that we track, which were around $54K/yr last I checked, only count full time employees. If you lump in gig workers and people working part time for reasons other than choice, that median worker income drops to ~$29k.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/wkyeng.pdf

They don't include part time workers (~26m), and they don't include gig workers despite gig workers making up ~16% of the workforce, these numbers are a loving joke.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

every single month hacker news has a "who is hiring?" thread where people comment with open roles. some big companies and lots of startups, many being funded by yc. comments generally peak within a week or so with sporadic ones after that

here are the total comments over the last 43 months going back to january of 2020

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

in short: tech is dying

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/wkyeng.pdf

They don't include part-time workers (~26m), and they don't include gig workers despite gig workers making up ~16% of the workforce; these numbers are a loving joke.

OK, but have you considered that would make the politicians look bad??? Huh, wise guy????

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Maed posted:

how? my work study job started at $9 and capped at $12 15 years ago. we could only do max 20 hours/week too so I had to do a bunch of economic and psychological studies to pay for food and booze
i dunno, i remember thinking "man that's a lot of money," but it was also considered financial aid, you know. i imagine it's about distributing money to people in an equitable way while not burdening them with so much work they can't do other things, so you get a fat wage to make sure you get your money

...an unimaginable way to do things, of course

so i sat at the reference desk checking out giant dell laptops to people for five hours a night, three days a week

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

FlapYoJacks posted:

$8.75 is now $13.95/hr. What was the community college? It would be interesting to check tuition/income ratio from then vs today.

santa rosa junior college. california subsidizes CCs a lot so they haven't gotten that big. iirc i was paying $20/unit back in 2007-ish and per unit is $46 now.

to clarify, $8.75 was my payscale when i left around 2009, i think it varied between $7.9 - $8.75 the 3-4 years i worked there

Xaris has issued a correction as of 20:16 on Jul 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

i dunno, i remember thinking "man that's a lot of money," but it was also considered financial aid, you know. i imagine it's about distributing money to people in an equitable way while not burdening them with so much work they can't do other things, so you get a fat wage to make sure you get your money

...an unimaginable way to do things, of course

so i sat at the reference desk checking out giant dell laptops to people for five hours a night, three days a week

hah I wish it was like that for me, my job was fixing other student's computers, at a real company it'd be at least $40/hr. during busy times I might be working on 4 computers at once. it was really fulfilling tbh, sometimes I'd fix someone's computer and they'd thank me in the halls later that week. I shoulda made way more than $9/hr though