Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

What did the MC do in Belobog that was so great to get the Preservation's attention?

I think the point is there's "something special" about the MC that he ALREADY has the attention of all the aeons, and they're going to throw whatever class is relevant in the moment at him next, which almost certainly is Hunt. It would be hilarious, as someone else already posted, if they based it on whether you took the pill or not, though. The amount of nerd rage from people not getting the class they want would be glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The MC grabbed a cool dream-world fire spear that burned them. They didn't give up in the face of despair, and committed to saving the world. I agree that it's not like they did something amazingly once-in-a-lifetime awesome, and the gods probably already had their eye on us for reasons, but the MC did in fact demonstrate some kind of heroic resolve to do something Qliploth approved of and was rewarded for it. It's not like Qliploth seemed to care about the planet for the last 800 years, so clearly they weren't just rewarding us for helping their chosen people. The Aeons have consistently demonstrated that they don't give a poo poo who worships them.

Like, I don't expect a huge twist or anything, I'm just saying there will be a dramatic scene where the MC gets to show off how heroic their determination is. And that means doing more than just following Jin Yuan's plans like a good pawn.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 7, 2023

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Oh definitely. I'm guessing it will have more to do with hunting down the Sanctus Medicus people than it will the stuff with Jing Yuan.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, imo at this point we also don't have strong enough feelings about the Sanctus Medicus to want to hunt them down? Like, we wouldn't be hunting them down heroically, we'd just be following orders because we vaguely want to get along with the local authorities. We need a strong motivation that we don't have yet, imo. I mean, that could be as simple as the Sanctus Medicus hurting someone we care about, but there still needs to be something to get us to take it personally.

Edit: Like, when I talk about us just being pawns in Jing Yuan's schemes, I don't mean that I'm casting him in a villainous light, I just meant that as long as we do that he's the hero, not us. We're just his loyal soldiers which is great and all but hardly heroic. We need to become the hero of the story at some point.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jul 7, 2023

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Honestly, if it weren't for the fact that Cocolia isn't a playable character, I would be convinced that Jing Yuan is a secret villain using the MC for nefarious purposes. He really comes across as smarmy, lazy, and underhanded in a way that doesn't really fit his heroic profile.

Game lore aside, though... I feel like everything about the Loufu arc feels rushed and poorly written compared to Belobog. Part of me thinks the lack of motivation for the Express crew is simply due the plot being forced into motion by writers on a time crunch.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Clarste posted:

We need to become the hero of the story at some point.

Why? It's the entire point of the Trailblazers. You travel to new places, you help people out, and then you move on. It's still their homes, their stories. You just play a part. Just like Belobog. We stopped things getting worse, stepped up in a big way when it mattered....but they still have a lot of work to do. We were an important part of that story, but just a part. And it goes on after us.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I thought the whole joining process put Sanctus Medicus in a pretty bad light, especially when they did the old "only one may advance, the other must die" thing with you. Then there was the poisoning if you're really gullible.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Clarste posted:

Well, imo at this point we also don't have strong enough feelings about the Sanctus Medicus to want to hunt them down? Like, we wouldn't be hunting them down heroically, we'd just be following orders because we vaguely want to get along with the local authorities. We need a strong motivation that we don't have yet, imo. I mean, that could be as simple as the Sanctus Medicus hurting someone we care about, but there still needs to be something to get us to take it personally.

Edit: Like, when I talk about us just being pawns in Jing Yuan's schemes, I don't mean that I'm casting him in a villainous light, I just meant that as long as we do that he's the hero, not us. We're just his loyal soldiers which is great and all but hardly heroic. We need to become the hero of the story at some point.

I'm expecting there to also be some kind of twist or curveball so that we're not just restoring the status quo. It's possible the story will be "help Jing Yuan deal with his monster of the week episode" but it feels unlikely.

I guess it'll come from how I gather the current plan is to kill all the sanctus medicus/marastruck/deer/trees and hope the problem goes away, but from what we know about mara that's not actually going to solve things and we're going to need to do something else.

Hypocrisy posted:

Then there was the poisoning if you're really gullible.

It's out of character for a trash goblin to not eat something.

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jul 7, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Mulva posted:

Why? It's the entire point of the Trailblazers. You travel to new places, you help people out, and then you move on. It's still their homes, their stories. You just play a part. Just like Belobog. We stopped things getting worse, stepped up in a big way when it mattered....but they still have a lot of work to do. We were an important part of that story, but just a part. And it goes on after us.

I suppose that makes sense, but we still need a dramatic scene where we do something heroic enough to get a new Path and probably cool boss music. It's less about who we are as Trailblazers and more about the kind of story the writers seem to want to tell. A climax that's less heroic than Bellabog certainly doesn't seem earned yet (although I can see it happening later after more of a pattern is established).

Symphoric posted:

Honestly, if it weren't for the fact that Cocolia isn't a playable character, I would be convinced that Jing Yuan is a secret villain using the MC for nefarious purposes. He really comes across as smarmy, lazy, and underhanded in a way that doesn't really fit his heroic profile.

The hero who only acts heroic when it really matters is a pretty common anime trope. Often with foils like Fu Xuan who take everything really seriously all the time and complain about the hero's seemingly lazy behavior, but always need their help when it counts.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jul 7, 2023

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Qwertycoatl posted:

It's out of character for a trash goblin to not eat something.

Only a coward doesn't immediately drink anything handed to them. We literally cook food using actual trash and eat it. We can do this.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I ate it because I was curious what would happen, like a true Trailblazer.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Clarste posted:

I think it's a weird assumption that receiving the blessing of the Abundance makes you an enemy of the Luofu. Like, Bailu is Abundance.

I think there's a difference between being the Abundance class in terms of gameplay mechanics and being a follower of the Abundance. Like Luocha appears to be a follower of the Abundance based on his ability to heal a puppet and Dan's reaction, while Bailu appears to just be a good healer.

Tree Reformat posted:

the xianzhou aren't really good guys either, considering their ultimate goals and modus operandi

honestly, after the relatively simple but ultimately upbeat Jarilo-VI plot, the Loufu arc just feels really morally unpleasant to me, despite the cool aesthetics

The biggest problem right now is we don't actually have a bad guy. We knew Cocolia was evil 5 seconds after we met her, but on the Luofu we just have complications. The Stellaron Hunters are here, but we doubt they planted the Stellaron themselves. The Deer was a cool mid boss but he's just a symptom instead of the cause. The Mara struck are running rampant, but that's just another product of the Stellaron itself.

At this point we either need to be introduced to a new character to be the criminal mastermind, or it's someone we've already met. Jing Yuan and Luocha are the obvious candidates, so maybe it'll be someone else instead. Hopefully they have something cool planned.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Walla posted:

I think there's a difference between being the Abundance class in terms of gameplay mechanics and being a follower of the Abundance. Like Luocha appears to be a follower of the Abundance based on his ability to heal a puppet and Dan's reaction, while Bailu appears to just be a good healer.

Definitely, but is the MC a follower of the paths we get? I would say no.

For what it's worth, Pathstriders are a thing in the lore. IE: it's not just gameplay that Bailu is Abundance, she is actually walking the Path of Abundance and gaining supernatural powers from it. Which is still distinct from being a follower of a god. Anyone who lives a life that embodies the ideals of an Aeon is a pathstrider, regardless of their allegiances or intentions.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 7, 2023

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

My theory is that the villain of the current arc (and probably the next one) is Elio - we'll get some dramatic twist where Kafka does something tragic and dramatic to fulfill Elio's orders that ends up giving the power of a Stellaron over to Elio, the other Stellaron Hunters will go 'wait WTF!? That wasn't the plan we were told', Elio will twirl his mustache and peace out, and then the Imbibitor will arrive/awaken to clean up the mess left behind.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Does this check out? Found on reddit, and it's supposed to list all follow-up attacks as of 1.1. I'm thinking about super-focused builds for elation runs (and other follow-up stuff), and it looks like I'd go March, Himeko, JY and a healer. Alternatively: March, Himeko, JY and Qingque if I wanna run it close to the margins and count on March to essentially mitigate all damage.

Edit: hang the gently caress on do I have E4 Qingque
Edit 2: no I don't!

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 7, 2023

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

wodin posted:

My theory is that the villain of the current arc (and probably the next one) is Elio - we'll get some dramatic twist where Kafka does something tragic and dramatic to fulfill Elio's orders that ends up giving the power of a Stellaron over to Elio, the other Stellaron Hunters will go 'wait WTF!? That wasn't the plan we were told', Elio will twirl his mustache and peace out, and then the Imbibitor will arrive/awaken to clean up the mess left behind.

Why would Elio give a poo poo about a single Stellaron? Like his power is total foreknowledge of all events, something that has shown to be more effective than the bitch computer version that the space Chinese have. We've seen people empowered by a Stellaron. We *are* people empowered by a Stellaron. What Elio has is a step up from that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I do agree that if they just wanted a steal a mere Stellaron they wouldn't need to go through all this trouble.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
gonna use whatever double rewards coming soon all on the money calx cause i need so much

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Mulva posted:

Why would Elio give a poo poo about a single Stellaron? Like his power is total foreknowledge of all events, something that has shown to be more effective than the bitch computer version that the space Chinese have. We've seen people empowered by a Stellaron. We *are* people empowered by a Stellaron. What Elio has is a step up from that.

Nah, I don't think that Elio can predict the future. I suspect what he has is something similar to the stand Heaven's Door power.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Anyone aware of any upcoming events before Luocha's banner shuts down? I'm at like 65 pity with the guaranteed 50/50...

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

NeonPunk posted:

Nah, I don't think that Elio can predict the future. I suspect what he has is something similar to the stand Heaven's Door power.

Why?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

He is always referred as an author, how it is all just a play and everyone has their role and stuff like that. Granted it's all from other folks mouth so we don't know what Elios actually can do yet

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's not the wildest possible thing that could happen. It'd be an interesting way to go with it, and there has to be some reason he's so good at what he does. My bet would be a follower of Terminus just to gently caress with the lore nerds in one more pointless way.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Wouldn't a follower of Terminus be more of a time traveler from the future? I mean having someone like 100 year in the future with a history textbook would also be a much better predictor too

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Walla posted:

...We knew Cocolia was evil 5 seconds after we met her...

cocolia wasn't evil. she was a hero who sacrificed herself for the people of belobog.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Clarste posted:

Definitely, but is the MC a follower of the paths we get? I would say no.

For what it's worth, Pathstriders are a thing in the lore. IE: it's not just gameplay that Bailu is Abundance, she is actually walking the Path of Abundance and gaining supernatural powers from it. Which is still distinct from being a follower of a god. Anyone who lives a life that embodies the ideals of an Aeon is a pathstrider, regardless of their allegiances or intentions.

Hook is definitely an embodiment of Destruction

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

We already know that aeons can be killed. Maybe the stellaron hunters want us to force Hunt and Abundance into a direct confrontation (again?) and take both of them out at the same time, so the SH can steal some of their dispersing power, but we MC our way into gaining both paths at the same time.

Gives people the option of either another DPS or a Healer depending on what they need, and sure would be unexpected.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

As Terminus is the Aeon of Finality, if Terminus is also the Cocoon of Finality, then Elio being a follower of it and being an author makes perfect sense. One of the many metaphors for what the Honkai is is fiction that is constrained by being written. Limitless possibility that hates being chained to a specific story. Reality binding fiction. In the mind of an author, a story can be anything, it is limitless possibility. The second the writer touches pen to paper, the story is trapped. The Will of the Honkai/Cocoon of Finality is then an outside author trying to take control over the narrative and change the story.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

sushibandit posted:

We already know that aeons can be killed. Maybe the stellaron hunters want us to force Hunt and Abundance into a direct confrontation (again?) and take both of them out at the same time, so the SH can steal some of their dispersing power, but we MC our way into gaining both paths at the same time.

Gives people the option of either another DPS or a Healer depending on what they need, and sure would be unexpected.

That doesn't make any sense because neither the Hunt nor the Abundance are anywhere near the ship, nor have any reason to care what happens on it, and also the Hunt is already hunting the Abundance on their own.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Maybe this is all the fault of those damned History Fictionologists, somehow.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Luocha has something wild in his coffin and my guess is it's at least herrscher emanator powerlevel.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Clarste posted:

That doesn't make any sense because neither the Hunt nor the Abundance are anywhere near the ship, nor have any reason to care what happens on it, and also the Hunt is already hunting the Abundance on their own.

The Preservation wasn't anywhere close to Belobog either??

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, and they did not physically intervene or get attacked. It was the exact opposite of a "direct" confrontation. I suppose conceivably the very concept of location is meaningless to an Aeon, but that still doesn't address the fact that by default they don't give two shits what humans are up to. And worshipping them doesn't change that.

Edit: For what it's worth, the Preservation is like, physically building a physical wall around the edge of the galaxy, and the Interastral Peace Corporation, ie: the largest civilization in the galaxy, has devoted all of their profits to providing building materials to help the Preservation build the wall... materials which the aeon has completely ignored and never even acknowledged. This is the standard relationship between aeons and their followers.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 7, 2023

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Eimi posted:

Luocha has something wild in his coffin and my guess is it's at least herrscher emanator powerlevel.

i was going to guess he had a corpse in there myself

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

UHD posted:

i was going to guess he had a corpse in there myself

Luocha Light Cone posted:

Under the watch of the white irises, he knocks on the coffin.
"Sometimes I feel I underestimated you by proposing this deal."
He receives no response other than a thorny branch piercing through his palm.
Yet he smiles, and tightly grasps the thorn.

"Indeed. This is how it is. We wanted to use each other, and both ended up underestimating the other."

Also the art has him pierced by a vine that's glowing magenta. Magenta glowing poo poo always signifies something important, in Honkai verse it's the color of pure Honkai energy. In Genshin it's the color of the flowers that only the Goddess of Flowers can make.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Clarste posted:

Edit: For what it's worth, the Preservation is like, physically building a physical wall around the edge of the galaxy, and the Interastral Peace Corporation, ie: the largest civilization in the galaxy, has devoted all of their profits to providing building materials to help the Preservation build the wall... materials which the aeon has completely ignored and never even acknowledged. This is the standard relationship between aeons and their followers.

I knew the Preservation was building a wall but I had no idea the IPC was trying and failing to provide meaningful help, where does that come up lol

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Eimi posted:

Also the art has him pierced by a vine that's glowing magenta. Magenta glowing poo poo always signifies something important, in Honkai verse it's the color of pure Honkai energy. In Genshin it's the color of the flowers that only the Goddess of Flowers can make.

I've seen at least one person on YouTube theorize that it's Yaoshi herself. There's some decent circumstantial evidence to support it, like Yaoshi has the same vines and thorns as his ult+lc and the same pink-purple hue.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Walla posted:

I've seen at least one person on YouTube theorize that it's Yaoshi herself. There's some decent circumstantial evidence to support it, like Yaoshi has the same vines and thorns as his ult+lc and the same pink-purple hue.

I was just thinking an emanator, or if it's an aeon a dead one, but Yaoshi would certainly make things interesting. Dan Shu has a lot of good in her and it'd be interesting to see Yaohi's relationship wtih it's followers in the same way as Qliphoth ignoring the IPC, what do they think of the Sanctus Medicus?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Eimi posted:

I was just thinking an emanator, or if it's an aeon a dead one, but Yaoshi would certainly make things interesting. Dan Shu has a lot of good in her and it'd be interesting to see Yaohi's relationship wtih it's followers in the same way as Qliphoth ignoring the IPC, what do they think of the Sanctus Medicus?

https://youtu.be/wIh75uqehAc

That's the one. It's a pretty compelling argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Walla posted:

Not a huge deal, but Yaoshi is nonbinary (I think all of the aeons are?).