Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Same. Knocked out guards eventually waking up and alerts outright spawning more guards made me give on... whatever the MGS5 demo \ prequel was.

kazil posted:

Guards can't set off an alarm if you tie a balloon to them and send them into the stratosphere

Guards can't set off an alarm if you C4 the alarm system.
Which is exactly why the first thing I do when infiltrating a camp is placing a C4 on their comms array so that if I gently caress up I can blow it up with a push of a button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
MGSV is like one of those new-fangled "immersive sims;" if there's something the enemy is doing that annoys you, you have tools in your tool kit to mitigate and/or stop it.

Big spoilers for a mid game boss fight is a sniper annoying you from across the map? order a supply drop on top of her head

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

On the one hand Xander77 is talking about Ground Zeros where those aren't options, on the other it seems the complaint is that nonlethal gameplay is not lethal, which, yeah? If you don't want dudes waking up, there's tons of options for that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Even in ground zeroes, different types of knockouts leave enemies knocked out for varied periods of time and...I don't remember the exact numbers anymore but basically a tranq headshot, or a kick, will leave them incapacitated long enough to do literally every objective on the map and then gently caress around some more. It's like 30-40 minutes or something.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Jack Trades posted:

Also, checkpoints are a positive thing because they make you learn the game instead of abusing quicksave/quickload.

I usually have to give up on checkpoint games because sometimes I have to quit immediately and I end up losing progress.

Even if I wanted to abuse quicksave who gives a poo poo. Someone abusing quicksave doesn't force another person to also abuse it in a single player game.

Checkpoint games are dumb as hell

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Don't they not raise an alarm if they're tranq'd and wake up? Thought it was just CQC/direct contact with Snake that put them on alert.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nancy posted:

Don't they not raise an alarm if they're tranq'd and wake up? Thought it was just CQC/direct contact with Snake that put them on alert.

No. They only do that if they have been tranq'd after being alerted. If you tranq them without alerting them then they assume that they just fell asleep on the job.

Resdfru posted:

I usually have to give up on checkpoint games because sometimes I have to quit immediately and I end up losing progress.

Even if I wanted to abuse quicksave who gives a poo poo. Someone abusing quicksave doesn't force another person to also abuse it in a single player game.

Checkpoint games are dumb as hell

Bad opinion.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
If you knock them out and use the water gun to wet their crotch they’ll be too embarrassed to tell anyone when they wake up.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tiramisu posted:

If you knock them out and use the water gun to wet their crotch they’ll be too embarrassed to tell anyone when they wake up.

Is that a real thing? Hilarious if so.

I even had their great official strategy guide book and even that one doesn't mention this particular use case for the water pistol.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Jack Trades posted:

No. They only do that if they have been tranq'd after being alerted. If you tranq them without alerting them then they assume that they just fell asleep on the job.

Yeah word, that's what I was getting at, phrasing it "don't they not" was probably not super clear.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nancy posted:

Yeah word, that's what I was getting at, phrasing it "don't they not" was probably not super clear.

Oops, my bad.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Cross-Section posted:

So a friend gifted me a copy of a game I'd previously deleted from my library... and Steam won't let me accept the gift, citing an "unknown error"

I'm guessing that's because of the whole "the original game key is still tied to your account" detail of the deletion process?

edit: okay I did not know you can straight-up just restore the game via Steam support, huh

Cross-Section posted:

Dragon's Dogma *starts getting pelted with garbage* it has poor ultrawide support! *half of a rotten apple lands in his mouth*
You can just set the resolution to a 16:9 resolution and it works fine on an ultrawide (with black bars) if nothing else works.

On that note, Street Fighter 6 has the worst ultrawide support I've ever seen, in that not only does it not support ultrawide but it puts grey bars on the side of the screen instead of just leaving it black like every single other thing I've ever used. It's extremely ugly, especially on an OLED monitor where black bars are the same as the monitor being off, and I can't understand why they would go to the trouble of doing that.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Steam sale. Gifts. Handing out.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Xander77/

Add me, tell your favorite genre(s), receive game that may or may not have anything to do with that genre.

In exchange, post a review here or ride the gift train

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Even in ground zeroes, different types of knockouts leave enemies knocked out for varied periods of time and...I don't remember the exact numbers anymore but basically a tranq headshot, or a kick, will leave them incapacitated long enough to do literally every objective on the map and then gently caress around some more. It's like 30-40 minutes or something.

doing the basic CQC throw will only knock out guards for like 1-2 minutes but if you stand still and do the full punch combo, theyre out for 15 minutes. Tranqing is even longer, 20 IIRC but i hardly bother with the tranqs since id much rather use an armor piercing pistol in that slot since its gives me a lot more flexibility

dont need to worry about timers if you just kill the poor bastards

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
New Heights is out in EA now - I got completely hooked by the demo, to my surprise.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Volte posted:

You can just set the resolution to a 16:9 resolution and it works fine on an ultrawide (with black bars) if nothing else works.

I actually did this with Star Trek: Resurgence (great ST game btw) the other week and yeah, that worked out just fine. With DD I was more looking for an excuse to quickly prune it from my then-backlog lol

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Owl Inspector posted:

Voidigo, it's like enter the gungeon if it was made by people who want you to have fun

This is the one, hell yeah.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

voidigo always reminded me of nuclear throne more than gungeon

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Awesome! posted:

voidigo always reminded me of nuclear throne more than gungeon

Both great games to be compared to imo!

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Holy poo poo is System Shock good. It’s incredibly optimized because I’m getting about 100 frames per second on high settings running on an ancient i7 2600k with a 1070GTX Ti while I wait for my new Steamdeck to arrive.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

tango alpha delta posted:

Holy poo poo is System Shock good. It’s incredibly optimized because I’m getting about 100 frames per second on high settings running on an ancient i7 2600k with a 1070GTX Ti while I wait for my new Steamdeck to arrive.

Yeah it owns, and it's gorgeous too. I love the approach they took with the graphics, having them pixelate if you get up close but be smooth and modern 95% of the time.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Nancy posted:

MGSV is like one of those new-fangled "immersive sims;" if there's something the enemy is doing that annoys you, you have tools in your tool kit to mitigate and/or stop it.

Big spoilers for a mid game boss fight is a sniper annoying you from across the map? order a supply drop on top of her head

Lmao why didnt i think to try this

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

tango alpha delta posted:

sebmojo posted:

Yeah it owns, and it's gorgeous too. I love the approach they took with the graphics, having them pixelate if you get up close but be smooth and modern 95% of the time.

It's fantastic, and games like it and the RE2Make basically set the bar in my head for what ideal remakes should be despite the fact that they approach the task in different ways.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
What was the beef with Shadow of the Tomb Raider again? Too similar to the previous two?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Mordja posted:

What was the beef with Shadow of the Tomb Raider again? Too similar to the previous two?

Adds the best stealth mechanics in the trilogy and then has the least enemies of any of the games. Main hub you spend a lot of your time in is a bit weirdly optimized and getting in and out of it to the various areas involves a lot of irritating obvious load-coverage crevasses. Just not up to the level Rise set overall, but not garbage or anything, just kind of "alright we're officially running out of ideas".

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Mordja posted:

Not enough torture gore for weirdos

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mordja posted:

At least as far as I was concerned they greatly reduced the amount of combat which sounds like a good thing but the rest of the game doesn’t really make up for it. Exploring in general isn’t interesting enough though the side tombs are far better than the previous games. The plot is incredibly rushed as you get closer to the end. I’m not going to say it’s a bad game though, I enjoyed it.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
On the subject of guards being knocked out in mgsv, if you hold them up and then command them to lay down, they'll stay down forever unless an alarm goes off or they're encountered by another patrolling guard.

One of the most fun challenges in Ground Zeroes is to put every guard on the map in this state, after which you can just run around doing whatever you want with impunity.

Edit: also I'm pretty sure you can knock them out by throwing an empty magazine at their head. Saying mgsv is a bag stealth game is one of the most profoundly bad takes I've read in this thread.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
MGSV was really good for an Early Access game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Did they allow you to knock out guards if you shot their exclamation mark above their head?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I had an idea but some rear end in a top hat just shot the lightbulb out from above my head

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Hwurmp posted:

make sure you've equipped the minigun silencer, and not the pistol silencer or grenade silencer

The grenade silencer was from Payday 2 and I will never stop being pedantic about it!!!!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lmao at how heavy handed the Shadow of the Tomb Raider opening village apocalypse is. Also I fell a few times and kept getting impaled, it's like the entire ground was made out of rebar.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kibayasu posted:

At least as far as I was concerned they greatly reduced the amount of combat which sounds like a good thing but the rest of the game doesn’t really make up for it. Exploring in general isn’t interesting enough though the side tombs are far better than the previous games. The plot is incredibly rushed as you get closer to the end. I’m not going to say it’s a bad game though, I enjoyed it.

I agree with all of this (except challenge tombs weren't that much better imo). The pacing and the story were worse, and the new series has great combat, so toning it down was disappointing.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah I liked the combat in the other two, and Rise much improved on the tombs.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
How was the RE4 remake, by the way? Game's absurdly expensive in my region but I loved RE2Make

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Azran posted:

How was the RE4 remake, by the way? Game's absurdly expensive in my region but I loved RE2Make

Great except they took out that one scene you loved. You know the one

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Azran posted:

characters, story and setpieces are broadly worse. gameplay is top notch though, it does a great job of merging RE4's old style with the speedrunning and replayability of RE2R

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
All of the little tweaks in Shadow of the Tomb Raider intrigued me, as someone who has very mixed feelings on the first two games. But I made the usual mistake of wanting to do a ~*Complete Franchise Playthrough*~ and shock of all shocks was burned the gently caress out by the time I got to Shadow. Made it to the first proper hub village area, got annoyed by a few minor things, and then never got back to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

John Murdoch posted:

But I made the usual mistake of wanting to do a ~*Complete Franchise Playthrough*~ and shock of all shocks was burned the gently caress out by the time I got to Shadow.

I made this mistake with the most recent Hitman trilogy (AND I was shooting for getting Mastery level 20 on each map as I played them) and I got through Hitman 1 and maybe 60% of Hitman 2 before I had to put it down. Great games but it was a fool's errand to jump in like that.