Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Manoueverable posted:

I would need years of therapy to unravel my constant anxiety about my job and my friendships. And that's not even getting into the abyss of being single in my 30s while 3/4 of the people around me are in committed relationships but have no single friends.

As others have said:

No better time than the present. Get some tools and learn then change those beliefs about yourself and the world that make you anxious.

You are good enough to be happy regardless of relationship status, friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I moved to Portland for my husband’s postdoc, leaving Chicago and basically all my friends, and I was loving miserable and my marriage fell apart even though I still love him very much so ya, friends are good (various other reasons of course too)

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I have like 3 total friends who all get along but don’t really hang out with eachother unless it’s at a gathering that I’m hosting or organizin and they all have their own separate friendgroups that I’m not really part of. Makes things frustrating and lonely sometimes.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

I have never had pet insurance, but from what I heard it is harder to get a decent payout than people health insurance.

It’s also expensive as hell. For my 2 dogs it’s near $200/month I guess because of their ages. I could put that money away every month in a savings acct or whatever and I’d have more money than I ever spend on them in a year.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think the Dr. and I are going to Tacoma (and by extension, Seattle) for a week or so in August for her birthday, any tips from PNW goons for things to see/do, beyond the obvious stuff? First time ever to the PNW or anywhere that far west.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pron on VHS posted:

One of the best ways to meet people and make friends is to go to jail

This is an urban legend. Part of making friends is shared interests and if you get out in a cell with craft beer drinkers when you’re a wine enthusiasts, well it’s gonna be cats and dogs!

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

General Dog posted:

I think the Dr. and I are going to Tacoma (and by extension, Seattle) for a week or so in August for her birthday, any tips from PNW goons for things to see/do, beyond the obvious stuff? First time ever to the PNW or anywhere that far west.

If you like beer go to ballard and do a walking brewery / beer tasting tour. There are literally like 12 breweries in 1.5 square miles. Most of them are good.

Pops Mgee posted:

I have like 3 total friends who all get along but don’t really hang out with eachother unless it’s at a gathering that I’m hosting or organizin and they all have their own separate friendgroups that I’m not really part of. Makes things frustrating and lonely sometimes.

Why not join one or all of their friend groups??

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

This is an urban legend. Part of making friends is shared interests and if you get out in a cell with craft beer drinkers when you’re a wine enthusiasts, well it’s gonna be cats and dogs!

Very true. It's like how your best friend magically happened to live next door when you were 5 years old.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I don't know much about Seattle but Washington has rainforests on the coast that are lovely. Perfect time to go fishing or hiking around the Columbia river gorge, though that is a few hours south on the Oregon/Washington border.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
All of my friends are either from high school, or from they year+ my dad spent in the hospital and I got to know his PT/OTs really well. I have exactly one friend that I have made while out in the wild, and that is a dude I met a craft beer place. I went because a friend of mine owned the bar and there was a special release of some beer. It was also trivia night so I got paired up with another guy who was there for the same reason and we have been friends since.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

General Dog posted:

Go visit the C.H.A.Z.

Is the C.H.A.Z. still a thing?

Like EmbryoSteve said tho, Ballard has cool poo poo. I vaguely remember me of my friends working at Un Bien, which had bitchin' sandwiches.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

EmbryoSteve posted:

Why not join one or all of their friend groups??

Beyond inviting myself to things I’m not really sure how to to that.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I met a lot of my current friend group via a goonmeet, so another forums success story

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Pontius Pilate posted:

I moved to Portland for my husband’s postdoc, leaving Chicago and basically all my friends, and I was loving miserable and my marriage fell apart even though I still love him very much so ya, friends are good (various other reasons of course too)

The lesson here is, don't leave Chicago.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

General Dog posted:

If you're in Tacoma may as well hit up Pt. Defiance, and Ruston Way (I had my wedding reception here) for nice water views. Downtown Tacoma remains a bit to be desired relative to Seattle.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

The lesson here is, don't leave Chicago.

The problem with making friends in LA is more than half will leave if they don't end up making enough money or working close to home

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I am firmly convinced going to prison will make you a chessmaster, or at least a guy who is pretty good at chess.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

I am firmly convinced going to prison will make you a chessmaster, or at least a guy who is pretty good at chess.

I am also firmly convinced the opposite is true. Behind the Bastards taught me psychopathy and chess mastery go hand in hand.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

General Dog posted:

•Space needle (yeah I said it, get hosed haters!!!)
•Chihuly glass garden
•That Japanese fried chicken place that the giggly top chef contestant opened
•UW campus and maybe Burke museum
•one of those lil boat tours of the lake
•the intersection where a bunch of the protests centered (also there’s cute bars and restaurants around there)
•ezells fried chicken

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pontius Pilate posted:

Are you two still married? What happened? How are you doing now?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Very entertaining end to this article that is borderline on even being newsworthy on the Guardian (but it was Minnesota-related on the front page so I had to click it): https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jul/07/warren-jeffs-polygamous-leader-minnesota-land-sale

It's 600 words about a big tract of land in the arrowhead that was owned by the Fundamentalist LDS sect is now going up for sale (40 acres for $189k for anyone looking to start a goon compound). Dude who ran it is in jail for having a bunch of child brides. It goes into how that sect has land in SD and WI and did a bunch of awful poo poo.

End of it is the most exasperated northern MN realtor who doesn't want to talk to anyone else about the owners being pedophiles:

The Guardian posted:

“It’s just a nice North Woods property,” said real estate agent Jacob Patten, of Red Pine Realty, which has the listing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Go visit the C.H.A.Z.

Is the C.H.A.Z. still a thing?

Like EmbryoSteve said tho, Ballard has cool poo poo. I vaguely remember me of my friends working at Un Bien, which had bitchin' sandwiches.

C.H.A.Z. was a thing for like 3 months in 2020, it's absolutely not still a thing. Are you a member of the chamber of Commerce?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

shirts and skins posted:

well, years of therapy is kind of like planting a tree. the best time is 20 years ago, the second best time is now.

just a PSA that you can be perfectly happy and well adjusted and benefit from therapy, you don't have to be "bad enough" or "deserve it" somehow. it's never selfish to check in with yourself or get help. it's been great for me and my wife.

One of the few close friends that I do have these days mentioned her therapist/going to therapy to me for I think the first time in the 6+ years we've been friends, and I would put her firmly in the well-adjusted category. I'll have to see if she is open to discussing her experience next time we get together.

Be nice to yourself and :gettherapy:

The Glumslinger posted:

I met a lot of my current friend group via a goonmeet, so another forums success story

One of the first friends that I made in my city was a goon who I first interacted with on here, and I later learned that he and his wife were friends with an old work friend who was also living here. Sadly they moved away five years ago or so (and he hasn't posted here in at least that long), I'mma text that fool later today to see how he's doing.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Pops Mgee posted:

Beyond inviting myself to things I’m not really sure how to to that.

Something to consider is to communicate with your friends that you're looking for more things to do and ask there are any social events with them and their friends you can join. Or if they talk about a fun thing they did with the friend group just say "that's really cool and something I'd like to be included in in the future if you're down. Ive been wanting to get to know those others better" or whatever is your way of saying that.

It will be anxiety provoking but worst outcome is they say no. Best is you get to make more friends.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Addie has a potential bowel obstruction. They’re going to repeat X-rays. If what they see is moving, might discharge tonight. If what they see isn’t moving, she’s going to need to go to a higher level of care.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Addie has a potential bowel obstruction. They’re going to repeat X-rays. If what they see is moving, might discharge tonight. If what they see isn’t moving, she’s going to need to go to a higher level of care.

Can you drop an NG tube in the meantime?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

swickles posted:

Can you drop an NG tube in the meantime?

The vet asked me if I was medical and said (technically true!) that I’m a trauma PA. she didn’t have a good answer to why an ultrasound happens after an X-ray. Conversations about potential NG tubes will happen after repeat CX.

also lab work was sent out and won’t be back until tomorrow so that’s a good lesson about which tests to prioritize.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Fingers crossed Addie has a big poo tonight and all is well

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Air Skwirl posted:

C.H.A.Z. was a thing for like 3 months in 2020, it's absolutely not still a thing. Are you a member of the chamber of Commerce?

The CHAZ / CHOP didn't even last a month! That said, Capitol Hill is still a neat place to visit.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

General Dog posted:

You could go to the Red Hot in tacoma, it's a artisnal hog dog place.

Also go raft the Ho river in Olympiac Nat Forest. Temperate rainforests own.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Under ground tour in Seattle was pretty cool when me and my brother went up there

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
DON"T go to the Museum of Pop Culture. Not worth the money unless you REALLY like Hendrix

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

FizFashizzle posted:

This happened to Finn. He had eaten part of a ball.

They ended up having to cut him open and squeezed the piece of ball through his intestines and out his butthole lol.

I hope it’s something more minor in Addie’s case. Hopefully she just passes whatever it is.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

The vet asked me if I was medical

When we had two animals with a combined six prescriptions I would listen to my wife and the tech talk, then have to ask what they said.

"Did you tell her the dog gets this pill three times a day?"
"...yes"
"OK! I'll go back to my coloring"

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Yeah Islas been sliced open twice in 3 years for an obstruction. Least she’s out of that chew on blanket phase.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I can't tell if I love or am terrified by the Vegas Sphere

https://twitter.com/LasVegasLocally/status/1677365165719969792?t=fW62b7-JhgcEkYT7BtH1LQ&s=19

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Late to friend chat since I was busy at work, but I'll freely admit I don't have a lot.

Now, admittedly, I've never had huge friend groups in the first place. I was always the sort to have maybe a handful (Usually only 2-3) really, really close friends rather than a larger number of looser friends that hung out now and then. I'm normally quiet and sorta closed off around people I don't know, so making friends isn't often easy. My problem in the past was I'd have those smaller groups, but they eventually fell apart. I lost basically all my elementary/middle/high school friends when I was 16 when my parents divorced and I just went even more introverted than I already was (Being dumb teenagers in a different era, there wasn't much emotional support). Had another really tight group in my mid-20s that survived one job change, but trying to do anything was always hard when everyone worked different retail jobs with insane retail schedules, and then collapsed completely 4~ years ago when my fiancé left me and I once again went hyper closed off/into a really dark place for a while.

I have one extremely close friend I've known for 10 years. We worked together at a few places and talk about our time in retail like vets talk about being in combat (And she almost certainly has PTSD from poo poo that happened at Toys R Us), and though we don't live close to each other any more, we text almost daily and talk when we can, so both of us have made the effort to stay in each others lives. I've also developed some really close friendships with a handful of people at my current job, we hang out a lot outside of work which is nice.

I'll throw in a separate category for online/remote friends. There's a few people I've known originally from old Gundam forums for going on 20 years, and a few Xbox Live friends I've had and been playing games with for at least 15 years now. Plus goons, obviously. Y'all good people (Mostly) and anyone who says "gently caress the Cowboys" is a friend of mine.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Are you two still married? What happened? How are you doing now?

We are, just on a break and still friendly, but I’m cognizant of what that means and I’m not holding my breath. Moving out pre-vax covid while my work also dried up did not do wonders for my depression and substance abuse poo poo, plus just the loneliness of leaving a lotta friends and family as mentioned. I’m back in Chicago right now and it’s bittersweet and idk what I’m doing exactly now, so not great. Thanks for reading my sad boi poo poo tffriends

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

Had that before. One of my dogs a few years ago ate a mango pit and it had to be removed. It’s a heavy weight on that dogs eating over the next month - best of luck dude