Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Microplastics posted:

These days, if you say other people are English, you get suspended and thrown off twitter

Honestly surprised that gb news and the mail arent running scare stories about people being arrested for saying they're english by trans cops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They're already claiming that the RAF will Brimstone your house if you're white.

OwlFancier posted:

I still think the big head choppy wall from Caligula is the way to go.
Rotary is better than linear at scale, but you could go more functional and less decorative.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Jedit posted:

You just want someone to post that patent for a 15-seater guillotine again.

happy to oblige, it's a good post

https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/860199590599020544?lang=en

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

BBC News is really loving bad for putting up any picture of an attractive woman with some kind of headline about how she's been abused or killed, or if the story isn't that lurid, then they just pick some random woman to try and lure you into clicking the story anyway. Every day I look at the page, it's either the headline or right next to it. They're so transparent it annoys me.

They're probably all like this but BBC News is the only one I haven't eliminated from my reflex checking. It's getting eliminated now. I don't even care about the news.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
https://www.bbc.com/worklife is especially bad for this. Scroll down and count the women thumbnails on stories that aren't about women

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Microplastics posted:

https://www.bbc.com/worklife is especially bad for this. Scroll down and count the women thumbnails on stories that aren't about women

All newspaper stories about worklife should have men on the thumbnails, clearly.

It's only right and proper.

I agree with the point roomtone was making though.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Microplastics posted:

These days, if you say other people are English, you get suspended and thrown off twitter
That is a really horrible thing to call someone.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/philbc3/status/1677364120411152394?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Bunch of folks coming up with receipts on Streeting's lifetime of even artistry.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Microplastics posted:

all those articles look to be written by women though? so i dunno. maybe not alex.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Weird looking drum kit

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

roomtone posted:

BBC News is really loving bad for putting up any picture of an attractive woman with some kind of headline about how she's been abused or killed, or if the story isn't that lurid, then they just pick some random woman to try and lure you into clicking the story anyway. Every day I look at the page, it's either the headline or right next to it. They're so transparent it annoys me.

They're probably all like this but BBC News is the only one I haven't eliminated from my reflex checking. It's getting eliminated now. I don't even care about the news.

There a picture of the murdered lady on the front page cos its news today... I dunno its not their fault she was what one might find attractive?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If we use Saudi mass beheadings as a benchmark, it would take approximately 90 years to work through every landlord in the UK. So clearly some sort of automation is required.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

roomtone posted:

I've avoided BBC news since the Corbyn era, when their horrible, horrible bias became too painful to watch. This week, I saw the Jenin refugee camp situation, thought: I bet I know how the Beeb's reporting on this one, checked the website the top story was like: "Important, real, Israeli people injured in car attack by foul Palestinian terrorist... and there's also some stuff going on in Jenin too but forget that." and left the website again, I think forever this time.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's weird because their lunchtime news whenever that's been on has been more "Israel are killing Palestinians, they say that they're insurgents, but many are children" to the point that the BoD wrote a formal complaint saying "stop referring to Israel's legitimate defence against dangerous under-18s as 'killing children' :qq:"

https://twitter.com/BoardofDeputies/status/1676535279136505861

Seems a lot less terfy than the website too, maybe they leave all that for the breakfast or evening news :shrug:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

“military aged males”

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

NotJustANumber99 posted:

There a picture of the murdered lady on the front page cos its news today... I dunno its not their fault she was what one might find attractive?

it's like every day

and yeah they're just innocently presenting glamour shots next to horrific headlines, there's never any editorial intent, they don't promote certain victims over other ones. must be me.

sleazy bullshit

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
You should see the BBC News website from outside the UK.
When you try bbc.co.uk it will briefly flash up the UK version for a second and a bit, but then automatically loads the bbc.com version replacing them with bland 'tory sanitized' articles as Pistol_Pete said.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

roomtone posted:

glamour shots next to horrific headlines
Ah, the trash tier magazine school of editorializing.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

roomtone posted:

it's like every day

and yeah they're just innocently presenting glamour shots next to horrific headlines, there's never any editorial intent, they don't promote certain victims over other ones. must be me.

sleazy bullshit

Please forgive NJAN99 he's just furious his wank material is being called out.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

happyhippy posted:

You should see the BBC News website from outside the UK.
When you try bbc.co.uk it will briefly flash up the UK version for a second and a bit, but then automatically loads the bbc.com version replacing them with bland 'tory sanitized' articles as Pistol_Pete said.

*opens website, briefly see headlines* NEGROSTIC FENIAN ATTEMPTS HUMAN LANGUAGE, MORE PICTURES TO FOLLOW *website flashes and it redirects to bbc.com*

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

roomtone posted:

it's like every day

sleazy bullshit

Theres definietly like research and publications on newsworthyness, selection bias and the "ideal victim". I don't particularly think the BBC is that awful at it compared to others. But yes its true lots of people will get murdered or die and their face will not be front page news, looks like theres maybe 2 murders a day in the UK?

I dunno but who selects the pictures? Does some media police person consult the families and they approve a picture for release or do they scrape them from social media or what? If you image search the person we are currently talking about the bbc picture is among the better ones to use.

Tesseraction posted:

Please forgive NJAN99 he's just furious his wank material is being called out.

very weird, get over whatever it is I've done to you.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

please don't steal the name of my punk band

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Confusion will be my epitaph:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-labour-starmer-rejoin-eu-poll-b2371236.html

quote:

More than four in 10 Britons believe Labour intends to reverse Brexit and rejoin the EU, a shock new poll has found.

Sir Keir Starmer has been at pains to clarify Labour’s position of keeping the UK out of the bloc – repeatedly ruling out membership of Brussels’ single market and customs union.

But Redfield & Wilton Strategies survey found 41 per cent of voters still think that Labour policy is to take Britain back inside the EU.

It would be great if it did/was, but Starmer's spelled out the intention to 'make brexit work' and people still can't work out his policy (read article).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would assume a combination of wishful thinking and tory attack lines.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Confusion will be my epitaph:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-labour-starmer-rejoin-eu-poll-b2371236.html

It would be great if it did/was, but Starmer's spelled out the intention to 'make brexit work' and people still can't work out his policy (read article).

Just think how different it might be if Starmer hadn't built up a three-year track record of saying one thing and then reneging on it :hmmwrong:

Why are voters so unwilling to believe him???

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Liberals 4D chess themselves into believing the dumbest poo poo you say?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

very weird, get over whatever it is I've done to you.

I try and yet u keep posting like absolute dogshit

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I stayed with a relative overnight and this morning saw live TV for the first time in years. It was whatever the BBC's breakfast show is called, but I had to ask her "Is this ITV?" (Yes, I'm An Old and still think of ITV as the trashy downmarket channel.)

It had a story on the Liverpool woman who was randomly shot and killed by some shithead with a submachine gun, which is an objectively terrible thing. But the way it was presented was a cross between Simon Bates' Our Tune and the worst of Damian 'film a prop teddy bear in the wreckage' Day from Drop The Dead Donkey. Basically "let's get the family to pour their hearts out so we can selectively edit it for some good quotes", while taking them to Greece to 'revisit their last holiday together' - oh, and let's show a censored version of the CCTV footage of the shooting shown at the trial for the death-wankers. All with, like I said, Our Tune-style music in the background. It was both ghoulish and mawkish at the same time, and was immediately followed by chirpy presenters being happy and hyper about some loving trivial thing. Absolutely awful.

So glad I don't need a TV licence any more, because I'd be pissed off about paying for that poo poo.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

OwlFancier posted:

I would assume a combination of wishful thinking and tory attack lines.

Yeah, if it was 4/10 of labor voters, I'd doubt it more, this is the fantasists on both sides.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Payndz posted:

I stayed with a relative overnight and this morning saw live TV for the first time in years. It was whatever the BBC's breakfast show is called, but I had to ask her "Is this ITV?" (Yes, I'm An Old and still think of ITV as the trashy downmarket channel.)

Broadcast tv has given up trying to attract new viewers and is entirely focused on the pensioners who still watch it. This is really obvious when you look at the tv schedules: it's all much the same stuff that was on in the 70's.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Failed Imagineer posted:

It was the based of times, it was the waste of times
A Tale of Two Twitters

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i was astonished when the bbc shut down their “youth focused” BBC3 channel with a “they can get it online” instead plan, and a decade later the bbc panicked that young people weren’t watching the bbc anymore so they brought back bbc3 and nobody watches it now anyway

haakman
May 5, 2011
Del Boy falling through the bar? Cracking telly

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Jel Shaker posted:

i was astonished when the bbc shut down their “youth focused” BBC3 channel with a “they can get it online” instead plan, and a decade later the bbc panicked that young people weren’t watching the bbc anymore so they brought back bbc3 and nobody watches it now anyway
The campaign to make the Youth aware that there was a shite new channel coming for them made them out to be tech-illiterate morons so...

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Wes streeting is literally the worst. Absolute scrotum of a human.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

A youth-focussed linear TV channel probably wouldn't work now anyway. Youth (and I mean sub-boomers here) don't want to tune in at a specific time to watch something when they can just do it on-demand on either Netflix etc or iplayer. The only exception I can think of is when you want basically auditory wallpaper like a Come Dine With Me marathon or something. Oh, and sports.

(Actual youth are more about the Tiktoks, if I remember the research correctly)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

You would need a very big guillotine to fit all the landlords in it at the same time.

Although I suppose it would still need to be that big to fit the bottom 10% of all landlords in it. If you're doing that you might be better off with a giant mandolin.

Just crowdsource it. Individual collapsible guillotines issued to every comrade.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

What I don't get is they're able to broadcast TV on demand over aerial, so... why not just do that? Most people now would engage far more with tv on a schedule they choose.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

What I don't get is they're able to broadcast TV on demand over aerial, so... why not just do that? Most people now would engage far more with tv on a schedule they choose.

are they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

How does that work?

TV over aerial is just receiving whatever blanket broadcast they pump out, there’s no mechanism to tell the broadcast source to send something else and how would it change what it was sending just for that specific receiver (along with countless other receivers who may all pick different things).