Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

parasyte posted:

It's probably not going to be as simple as you think, unless you have a linux box lying around. The SD card gets formatted to ext4 by SteamOS, so you'll need something that can read that partition; you can do this with WSL2 and some command line tricks, but I haven't done that myself so I don't know if it's as simple as wsl --mount \\.\PHYSICALDRIVEn and bob's your uncle. A new SD card will also need to be formatted with ext4, probably easiest to do just inserting it into the Deck and having that format it.

IF you get a USB-NVMe enclosure, the dd commands above are going to be the easiest thing tbh. Don't need to mess with any software, just need enough power for the clone to finish, and when you boot on the new drive SteamOS will resize the /home partition to take up the rest of the larger SSD.

Why can't I just put the new SD card in the Deck, format it with the Deck, plug the old SD card into a reader and plug that into the Deck's USB-C slot, and copy the files over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Omg I just saw on Reddit that the left trackpad is a circular scroll like an old iPod! I had no idea and just kind of gave up using it and dragged the scrollbar like a nerd!

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Annath posted:

Welp.

Honestly, just the idea of having to redo my Skyrim mods, let alone all the EmuDeck stuff, means I'll just get a bigger SD card and leave the NVMe drive alone.

As long as I'm not reinstalling the OS, will I be able to copy the files from my current SD card to a new one?

These are things you can definitely copy over without issue. I don't think it matters that much unless you start messing with OS level stuff. I think you are overcomplicating things.

I would just use the steam interface to move all the installs you care about to the SD.. copy your roms and poo poo over manually ... pull the hard drive and install the new one.. reimage the new drive using the steam OS recovery image.. log into steam and update everything and you should be good to go. You will have to reinstall emudeck but if you point it to the correct install where your stuff is it will figure it out and should use your config files and whatnot.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

You can buy a usb c enclosure for like $10 so I don't see much reason to waste time doing anything but dd copy old drive to new drive. I'm not a linux guy at all but it's one line :shrug: It copied all my mods, emulators, non-steam games like battle.net stuff, etc all perfectly and the new space was available

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

This will probably end with you having weird permissions due to ownership and hosed up paths and you redoing everything anyway

Linux is kinda weird about ownership and permissions,stuff that's owned by root is not the same as being owned by steamdeck and therefore steamOS
Not a problem if you dd like that one guys post, that's the standard way to image disks on Linux, it won't touch your filesystem at all.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

tuyop posted:

Omg I just saw on Reddit that the left trackpad is a circular scroll like an old iPod! I had no idea and just kind of gave up using it and dragged the scrollbar like a nerd!

What? WHAT? This whole time I thought the deck had the shittiest scroll implementation ever created and I was just dealing with it.

They need to tell you that somewhere because there is zero chance I ever would have guessed that.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah there’s absolutely nothing to communicate that!

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Annath posted:

Why can't I just put the new SD card in the Deck, format it with the Deck, plug the old SD card into a reader and plug that into the Deck's USB-C slot, and copy the files over?

Oh, yeah, that'll work. I was overcomplicating it because I didn't think about a USB-C SD reader.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

What? WHAT? This whole time I thought the deck had the shittiest scroll implementation ever created and I was just dealing with it.

They need to tell you that somewhere because there is zero chance I ever would have guessed that.

It defaults to circular, but it doesn't have to be! You can tell it to be a horizontal or vertical swipe, too. It's one of the extra settings on a Scroll Wheel mapping type - I'll take a look at my Deck when I get home.

The circular scrolling on the Steam Controller was my favorite binding on it, it made playing map games like Crusader Kings and the like real easy. If you can get used to it, I really suggest sticking with it - it means you can continuously scroll instead of having to pick up your thumb.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 7, 2023

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Beve Stuscemi posted:

The Steam Controller has the exact same feature.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

FuzzySlippers posted:

You can buy a usb c enclosure for like $10 so I don't see much reason to waste time doing anything but dd copy old drive to new drive. I'm not a linux guy at all but it's one line :shrug: It copied all my mods, emulators, non-steam games like battle.net stuff, etc all perfectly and the new space was available

Ah, I didn't think a drive enclosure would be so cheap. I may do the swap after all.

In the meantime, I'll try to overcome my choice paralysis and play something from start to finish.

Currently debating between Atelier Ryza 1, LIVE A LIVE, and (emulated) Xenosaga 1.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

This will probably end with you having weird permissions due to ownership and hosed up paths and you redoing everything anyway

Linux is kinda weird about ownership and permissions,stuff that's owned by root is not the same as being owned by steamdeck and therefore steamOS

that.. really shouldn't be a problem? open konsole and 'chown -R deckuser:deckuser <directory where your old poo poo is>'

also, does steam deck really randomize the uid every time?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I used the scroll wheel exactly once and then could never get it to work again after messing with the settings. Anyone know what the default option that allowed that was?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Truga posted:

that.. really shouldn't be a problem? open konsole and 'chown -R deckuser:deckuser <directory where your old poo poo is>'

If it does it is the only linux system ive ever encountered that does that

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Yeah this happens pretty frequently for me.

Sorry for jumping ahead a couple thousand posts but I figured this out! It has to do with the change Valve made for the resume animations. If you activate them and turn one one (any one) it'll fix it.

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
Hey gang, just snagged my deck today and have been feeling elated, buuut the last half hour I've been trying to stream from my pc to my deck. I feel like I must be missing something; every guide and video.. shows it as a lot more seamless than the time I'm having.

I navigate to the game (on my steam deck) that I am wanting to play on said steam deck, I click the arrow next to install, then select the name of my PC that appears. I click stream, a backdrop of the game I'm wanting to play appears.. acts like it's loading.. then the game loads fine on my PC then just on the steam deck simply just backs out to the game's page, but the button says "connect" this time, clicking it... shows a backdrop of the game again, acts like it's loading game again....then nada, repeat. :\

Am I just misinterpreting what remote play/streaming is? I'm just wanting to play a game on my steamdeck, a game that I already have installed on my pc, but not currently installed on the deck.

Gaylor Moon fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 8, 2023

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Gaylor Moon posted:

Hey gang, just snagged my deck today and have been feeling elated, buuut the last half hour I've been trying to stream from my pc to my deck. I feel like I must be missing something; every guide and video.. shows it as a lot more seamless than the time I'm having.

I navigate to the game (on my steam deck) that I am wanting to play on said steam deck, I click the arrow next to install, then select the name of my PC that appears. I click stream, a backdrop of the game I'm wanting to play appears.. acts like it's loading.. then the game loads fine on my PC then just on the steam deck simply just backs out to the game's page, but the button says "connect" this time, clicking it... shows a backdrop of the game again, acts like it's loading game again....then nada, repeat. :\

Am I just misinterpreting what remote play/streaming is? I'm just wanting to play a game on my steamdeck, a game that I already have installed on my pc, but not currently installed on the deck.
Streaming to the deck from the computer is very finicky unfortunately. Try disabling any VPNs and check your network speeds. It seems to simply disconnect and go crazy without notice whenever there's a dip in speeds. I think that the up speed is the bottleneck more than the down speed.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Another option is to try Moonlight (on the Deck) and Sunshine (on the PC). I've heard those are more consistent and lightweight than the Steam game streaming, but with the drawback of not being able to use Steam Input. I haven't tried it myself, I should honestly get around to trying it out someday.

Pippi Longpenis
Apr 21, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

Another option is to try Moonlight (on the Deck) and Sunshine (on the PC). I've heard those are more consistent and lightweight than the Steam game streaming, but with the drawback of not being able to use Steam Input. I haven't tried it myself, I should honestly get around to trying it out someday.

Steam input is possible via Moonlight actually! Moonlight can be invoked via command line to launch a specific game from a specific server PC, so all you have to do is just write a one-liner script and add that as a non-steam game, and then you can configure input settings for that game. Even better, if you name the non-Steam game the same as its real Steam counterpart, you can get all the community controller configs available too since as far as I can tell it pulls configs based on on matching games by name.

Moonlight + Sunshine/GFE is the only way I've played non-competitive games for the past few years, input and display latency is far far better than any other alternative including Steam streaming (my latency is sub 10ms most of the time). Best part is it's platform agnostic, often times I'll fire up a stream session on my Android TV, then head to bed and pull out the deck and resume the exact same stream from there.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Truga posted:

Yes. That does work if you aren't afraid to use Konsole

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pippi Longpenis posted:

Steam input is possible via Moonlight actually! Moonlight can be invoked via command line to launch a specific game from a specific server PC, so all you have to do is just write a one-liner script and add that as a non-steam game, and then you can configure input settings for that game. Even better, if you name the non-Steam game the same as its real Steam counterpart, you can get all the community controller configs available too since as far as I can tell it pulls configs based on on matching games by name.

Moonlight + Sunshine/GFE is the only way I've played non-competitive games for the past few years, input and display latency is far far better than any other alternative including Steam streaming (my latency is sub 10ms most of the time). Best part is it's platform agnostic, often times I'll fire up a stream session on my Android TV, then head to bed and pull out the deck and resume the exact same stream from there.
Oh, I just remember reading "you can't use Steam Input with Moonlight" and assumed it was some weird edge case compatibility issue and not that Steam only recognizes it as Moonlight, because you could also just set up a bunch of different controller profiles and switch between them AFAIK.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Moonlight is no joke. I’ve tried like every game streaming solution I’ve encountered and running moonlight on my partner’s nvidia PC is just flawless, future-is-now poo poo, even on wifi somehow!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yes. That does work if you aren't afraid to use Konsole

if you're afraid to use konsole then all the files will already have your own user as the owner though, since you won't be copying as root :v:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Also shout out to whoever in this thread noticed that WiFi is the priority network even if you’ve got Ethernet plugged in! Just went from 8mbps to 60 from toggling that WiFi switch.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Thanks to the poster who talked about the circular scroll wheel. I had no idea how it worked and just thought scrolling was glitchy but now that I know how it works it’s so much better.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Speaking of AirPods, should the case’s battery be draining on the order of 5-10% per day when not in use?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

Oh, I just remember reading "you can't use Steam Input with Moonlight" and assumed it was some weird edge case compatibility issue and not that Steam only recognizes it as Moonlight, because you could also just set up a bunch of different controller profiles and switch between them AFAIK.
The edge case is the input emulation is happening on the client end, it's not getting forwarded to the host like if you're using Steam IHS, so your ability to customize it a bit more limited and it's a big hack.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wanna copy some games to my PC from my Steam Deck and for some reason it just doesn’t want to. I followed the instructions, got Steam on my PC and deck to accept game transfers over the local network. I have both my PC and Deck on and connected. I just don’t see how to get it to pull from the source.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I set up Tailscale and Moonlight and Sunshine so I could try streaming to my Deck while at the cottage, but I forgot to set up the wake-on-lan stuff so wah wah the desktop has gone to sleep.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

rafikki posted:

Speaking of AirPods, should the case’s battery be draining on the order of 5-10% per day when not in use?

No

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

I set up Tailscale and Moonlight and Sunshine so I could try streaming to my Deck while at the cottage, but I forgot to set up the wake-on-lan stuff so wah wah the desktop has gone to sleep.

If you have remote access set on your pc, using Microsoft Remote Desktop MAY also wake up the pc when you try to connect. It depends on your NIC and drivers and it’s a long shot but if you’ve got that setup, might as well give it a go?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tuyop posted:

If you have remote access set on your pc, using Microsoft Remote Desktop MAY also wake up the pc when you try to connect. It depends on your NIC and drivers and it’s a long shot but if you’ve got that setup, might as well give it a go?

A good thought, but I don’t have remote access set up afaik. If I get bored I’ll try to find a flatpak of an RDP client, though, just in case.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I picked up halls of torment and oh gently caress I see myself losing many hours into this. 4 dollars and it's Diablo vampire survivors.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Quantum of Phallus posted:

they NEED to do a new steam controller which is just the deck without the screen. its free money

I think a killer product would be the SD with no screen and you just use something like the xreal airs. Can likely get a form factor closer to a normal controller.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Ah, yes, making an already extremely niche product even worse by introducing a hard dependency on another even more extremely niche product.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

tuyop posted:

Thanks for the XReal Air feedback. After a reimagining they’re working perfectly.

:toot:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

Ah, yes, making an already extremely niche product even worse by introducing a hard dependency on another even more extremely niche product.

Doesn't have to be exclusive, but it'd be a perfect form factor and probably cost considerably less.

I really really like not looking at my SD screen anymore but using the airs. I think this use case legs.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

It'd only cost less if you omit the price of the external display.

Now instead of convincing somebody to buy one product that's ready to go out of the box, you have to convince them to spend even more money buying two products, the second of which is undefined and requires work by the purchaser to decide upon.

You gadget hounds have truly bonkers opinions.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

It'd only cost less if you omit the price of the external display.

Now instead of convincing somebody to buy one product that's ready to go out of the box, you have to convince them to spend even more money buying two products, the second of which is undefined and requires work by the purchaser to decide upon.

You gadget hounds have truly bonkers opinions.

Get this.

Bundled together and valve includes them. Bingo Bango.

People also thought the iPad was a stupid oversized iPod, don't be so quick to judge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
All ideas are bad ideas, especially mine