Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also i just spent almost an hour in this game doing nothing but climbing three towers. they werent even big towers the game just ran so slow that it took me a half hour to climb two of them. i dont know why it happened because it didn't advance the plot in any way it just ended with them telling me to go talk to a guy in another village about the monster disease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Colonel posted:

the full title is ancient roman: power of dark side

Thank you, your posts make more sense now that my imagination isn't trying to insert a centurion into all of them

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
here's some choice music tracks from ancient roman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAKwdZUpdNQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikCBEFGOV8w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YoM6jspGA4

there's actually an official ost that shows they just hosed up the transfer into the game and the original tracks aren't this broken

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
That is not how I expected "Ancient Roman" to be spelled, glad this game is committed to being jank in every possible way.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
genuinely a mystifying game cause it stuffs enough of the generic fantasy tropes in there that they had to have played a jrpg at some point but like. commits to enough awful choices that there's no way they understood any of it. it's on the level of design competence of a bad rpgmaker game but those are usually the work of one person using preexisting tools that provide competent enough assets and base systems, it's surreal to see a game commit all those mistakes while having presumably a team and budget behind it and trying to ape the presentation of a psx final fantasy. they built their own whole engine that only works in the sense that it doesn't crash and it kinda calculates numbers mostly

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 7, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
one of the most incredible recurring bits of the game presentation-wise is that they knew how to program npcs staring at you with 360 degrees of rotation. but they didn't know how to program characters walking in more than eight directions. so sometimes you'll have a room full of npcs who are wholly locked on to you and smoothly spin to stare at you at all times, but you'll get to a cutscene where characters walk at an angle the game doesn't know how to handle and instead of smoothly walking in that direction they'll jitter wildly as they rapidly alternate between two digital movement axes. whatever ancient roman's engine is made of, i don't think any human being is prepared to see the lines of code behind it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Every time you pet a dog in Chained Echoes you are showered with hearts. Every time you pet a cat they hiss at you.
This is bullshit anti-cat propaganda. I swear I want to flood the dev's inbox with pictures of my cat.

Shown here: A cat who is clearly very tired from hissing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
so far in the plot, after getting asked to go ask a guy for a clue to the cure for the monster disease and then going to another guy after that guy didnt know the cure for the monster disease who then directed me to another guy because he didnt know a cure for the monster disease and then challenging three challenge towers to talk to another guy who also didnt know the cure for the monster disease, the previous guy redirected me over to a guy in a northern town who might know about the monster disease. that guy didnt know about the monster disease but he told me the elves might know about the monster disease. i went to the elves and one of them stabbed my fairy removing her from the party and she felt really bad about it so she joined my party. the elf leader did not know a cure for the monster disease. also this is what elven architecture looks like

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'm fascinated by this game that appears have been made as a prank.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Poy Poy-rear end looking game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
one thing i've noticed about this game's camera angles is that it always tries its hardest to make sure there's never any piece of the environment that might get in front of any of the characters. that's not for the sake of visual readability it's because they don't know how to layer things to have a foreground and any time your character does walk over some small bit of the environment that logically should be placed in front of them they're just standing through a wall

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this is also why all shopkeepers are part of the background and not actual npcs, if they were npcs they'd be rendered as standing in front of their counter

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
im the 8 polygon bunnygirl

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
How are you enjoying this game it sounds painful to play

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you barely fight anything and when you do the combat has so little going on that it's not really ever hard so it's mostly just walking through and seeing how badly a ps1 rpg could possibly be conveyed on every level. the act of interacting with it does feel very very bad but there's actually so little in the way of anything to block your progress that it's not actually strictly difficult to get through any of it, just kind of, slow and mucky

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The Colonel posted:

this is also why all shopkeepers are part of the background and not actual npcs, if they were npcs they'd be rendered as standing in front of their counter

That's Apollo justice

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there have been maybe five dungeons so far and three open areas with enemy encounters. calling any of those dungeons, dungeons, is kind of misleading because it was just five empty square/circular rooms with a boss fight or two, one of them was three entire screens long and another had no enemies except for the boss fight at the top. the open areas also, are all just three or four screens in size. there is tremendously little area in ancient roman for encounters to happen in and when they do happen you're either already leveled high enough to one shot everything or you can hit xp cap for the enemies you're fighting in like three minutes with turbo on. shockingly the game even has xp share so out of combat party members will level with you too.

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013
For some reason they made a drama cd for ancient roman, I found it when I was looking for the soundtrack versions of the music.
My japanese isn't good enough to make heads or tails of it. but they sure were proud of this thing, weren't they?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Meowywitch posted:

That's Apollo justice

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Colonel posted:

i went to the elves and one of them stabbed my fairy removing her from the party and she felt really bad about it so she joined my party. the elf leader did not know a cure for the monster disease.

I love all of this.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Love the Angelo Badalamenti bad vibes ambiance on this one

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Looper posted:

what rpgs are everyone playing
i've started 24 Killers. it's not a conventional RPG, it is more like Moon Remix RPG Adventure or Chulip, with a very similar aesthetic

you're some sort of cursed demon summoned into a corpse to help an island in space recover people that have been turned into monsters. at least that's what i've gleaned so far from playing the first in-game day and a half

i got Artifact Adventure in the Summer Sale but it doesn't work on the Steam Deck -_- i am also thinking of getting Rise of the Third Power by the Ara Fell team

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

The Colonel posted:

so far in the plot, after getting asked to go ask a guy for a clue to the cure for the monster disease and then going to another guy after that guy didnt know the cure for the monster disease who then directed me to another guy because he didnt know a cure for the monster disease and then challenging three challenge towers to talk to another guy who also didnt know the cure for the monster disease, the previous guy redirected me over to a guy in a northern town who might know about the monster disease. that guy didnt know about the monster disease but he told me the elves might know about the monster disease. i went to the elves and one of them stabbed my fairy removing her from the party and she felt really bad about it so she joined my party. the elf leader did not know a cure for the monster disease. also this is what elven architecture looks like

Let us know when you finally cure monster disease and/or if the game just ends before that happens.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Is there a reason it's called Ancient Roman or did they just call it that cuz it sounds cool?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I know nothing about this game other than what's been posted here, but Roman is wasei-eigo for "romance" or "adventure." So it might be that.

Wasei-eigo is when Japanese borrows an English word but the meaning of it changes enough that an English speaker might not know what they're talking about.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 8, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
there will be egg on your face when julius cesar shows up at the end

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

The 7th Guest posted:

i've started 24 Killers.

what little I have experienced of 24 Killers is good as hell and I gotta get back to it when I'm not dipping into a half-dozen sci-fi strategy games I got on Steam sales

the animation when the main character goes to sleep is adorable. soundtrack's good enough that i bought it, too.

the name always brings to mind Drool of the Killer, a 30 minute-long comedy-horror game about being stuck in a cursed water park. one of my favorites

the most roleplaying i have been doing lately is uhhh Diary of a Spaceport Janitor. you roleplay a janitor, in space. and boy, you really gotta get into character... I'm not sure sure I would call it fun, but I find it easy to recommend regardless.

I suspect there's a fun essay that could be written about the ways 24 Killers and Diaries [...] handle the politics of bodies, the commodification of bodies and how sometimes you gotta lean into it to survive. The protagonist in the former has to pilot an ill-fitting meat suit and slowly get used to it, the latter is about being a working poor janitor that must work for peanuts day in and day out (and might be transgender?), etc.

Ramie fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 8, 2023

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Honestly I find it genuinely incredible that they're aping FF7 without knowing anything about the game beyond "it is an rpg"

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Ramie posted:

the most roleplaying i have been doing lately is uhhh Diary of a Spaceport Janitor. you roleplay a janitor, in space. and boy, you really gotta get into character... I'm not sure sure I would call it fun, but I find it easy to recommend regardless.

It's such a goddamn weird little game. Much more than being a space janitor, you're roleplaying being poor, and so much is designed to trap you into it. Including the floating screaming skull that is a metaphor for... I guess persistent medical issues? You just have to live with it because getting it solved will take a long time and cost a lot. Even when you can build up a little stash of money and boost your luck so you can cover the necessities and possibly splash out a bit to experience more of the world, you remain pretty precarious.

It's really neat but hard for me to go back to.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I have always taken the skull in DOASJ to be a dysphoria thing but I may be biased there

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ramie posted:

the name always brings to mind Drool of the Killer, a 30 minute-long comedy-horror game about being stuck in a cursed water park. one of my favorites

this is part of a longer and actively updating series. would recommend playing them all from the start as they build on each other

https://thecatamites.itch.io/anthology-of-the-killer

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Colonel posted:

this is part of a longer and actively updating series. would recommend playing them all from the start as they build on each other

https://thecatamites.itch.io/anthology-of-the-killer
oh wow i've been aware of this series but had no idea it was by Catamites (space funeral, magic wand)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i started up Disgaea 5 and i'm not quite sure i get how to unlock classes. I see quests require stuff like "warrior rank 3, mage rank 3" but I'm not really sure what Rank is in this context. it's apparently not level.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Countblanc posted:

i started up Disgaea 5 and i'm not quite sure i get how to unlock classes. I see quests require stuff like "warrior rank 3, mage rank 3" but I'm not really sure what Rank is in this context. it's apparently not level.
as generic characters defeat enemies they rank up. when they 'rank up' they automatically advance to a higher tier of their class and get new passives. this is separate from character level.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Essentially there is an invisible Class Experience you get in addition to normal experience. Your progress is measured in how full the stars are on the class list in character status.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i see, thanks. are monster classes still unlocked as they traditionally are (killing them)?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Countblanc posted:

It wants a 3 star warrior and mage on class proficiency.

That levels up by beating strong enemies, healing and using items too.

Countblanc posted:

i see, thanks. are monster classes still unlocked as they traditionally are (killing them)?

Keep progressing the story and their unlock quests will also show up.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How come in Trails into Riverie, your characters start at level 98? Does that change? It’s no fun to not get to level up characters in an RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Edit not quote