Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

I believe the prevailing thought is that your character will look like poo poo unless you pony up, and tbh that is true of PoE and I have given plenty of money to GGG so my character won’t look like a trash pile, but that game is free and it’s entirely my desire to not have to look at the dumbest looking items on earth for 50 hours every new season, but it’s entirely unnecessary and PoE is free so I don’t mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I really hate when people pretend cosmetics aren't a part of gameplay because they absolutely are. People being driven to find things that look cool for their character to wear is an enormous part of a lot of games, and its not like the industry hasn't noticed considering how prevalent things like Transmog have become to let people have the optimal stats with whatever look they want.

Putting in shops that cut off bits of content to sell them back to you piecemeal is scummy as hell in general. Especially in games where fashion becomes a huge part of why people play to the point its a massive source of revenue. I'd rather pay 100 bucks up front than play a game with a cash shop.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordja posted:

Tbh don't understand the point of a cosmetics shop in a loot game. I want to see the loot.

It's for those that want to be the coolest kids on the block.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Stanley Pain posted:

What sucks about cosmetic cash shops though? Are you that driven to have everything in a game or something? Like a completionism thing?

See that is what I mean, I use to be all :argh: ruining my video games, and then I saw how some people were overspending on cash shops and maybe being taken advantage of, and I used that as some sort of moral high ground to rally behind doing away with cash shops. But as I started to really think about it recently, neither of those things actually appear to really be true. And so i've just stopped caring and no longer feel like its ruining gaming. I'm in the camp finally of just ignoring it. I like what bobtheconqueror posted about cash shops.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

explosivo posted:

Yeah, I mean, I won't, and to be clear I understand devs need to be paid and I'm not flipping the gently caress out about it or preparing my torches like the steam reviews appear to be doing, it just makes me wonder if they're keeping the real good looking gear behind a $20 DLC pack or whatever. The paid cosmetic stuff in Diablo honestly kind of sucks compared to what you can get in game but I never felt like the gear in LE looked especially good or memorable while the armor sets in Diablo definitely are. I'm still extremely jonesing to get back into this once it fully releases because there's so much to this game that puts Diablo 4 to shame.

I do agree - D4's "free cosmetics" look great and the paid ones are MEHHHH.
LE's gear does look kinda derpy and I imagine their cash shop will have cool stuff.

...But that's where I go, "EHG doesn't have the resources of industry titan Activision-Blizzard-King, it's not surprising if they are a little bit more forced to engage in that kind of stuff" (again assuming their cosmetic shop stuff is super cool relatively speaking, like GGG with PoE)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
there are definitely people who overspend on games, doubly so when there's gambling/lootboxes around which poe does have

e: hell, star citizen isn't even a game, and doesn't have lootboxes either but people spent tens of thousands on that lol

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zore posted:

I really hate when people pretend cosmetics aren't a part of gameplay because they absolutely are. People being driven to find things that look cool for their character to wear is an enormous part of a lot of games, and its not like the industry hasn't noticed considering how prevalent things like Transmog have become to let people have the optimal stats with whatever look they want.

Putting in shops that cut off bits of content to sell them back to you piecemeal is scummy as hell in general. Especially in games where fashion becomes a huge part of why people play to the point its a massive source of revenue. I'd rather pay 100 bucks up front than play a game with a cash shop.

It absolutely does not affect any meaningful part of gameplay whatsoever. It doesn't affect numbers going up or the power of your character....

It's not like any of these games are devoid of cool looking gear either. Well maybe POE, but that's a completely free game so the comparison isn't really fair to make.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
No one would play a game that was only numbers. Visuals and sound effects are a huge part of what makes hitting monsters satisfying.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Clarste posted:

No one would play a game that was only numbers. Visuals and sound effects are a huge part of what makes hitting monsters satisfying.

I don't disagree with your second point but your first was not sound footing :v:

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Eve Online says hello

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Magitek posted:

Eve Online says hello

Eve Online is something else, not only can you pay real money to get your destroyed ship back, but you can pay for skill injections. The cash shop was the most profitable part for CCP, and they still had the balls to increase the monthly fee to $20 a month lol.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Clarste posted:

No one would play a game that was only numbers.

Lots of people get hooked on various idle games where you do nothing buy make numbers go up :)

chird
Sep 26, 2004

New World had the right idea by making all cosmetics so ugly noone ever bought them.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Stanley Pain posted:

It absolutely does not affect any meaningful part of gameplay whatsoever. It doesn't affect numbers going up or the power of your character....

It's not like any of these games are devoid of cool looking gear either. Well maybe POE, but that's a completely free game so the comparison isn't really fair to make.

I'd rather they sold power, because I don't give a gently caress about power, at least in the context of how they usually sell it. But I do care about cosmetics.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Failboattootoot posted:

I'd rather they sold power, because I don't give a gently caress about power, at least in the context of how they usually sell it. But I do care about cosmetics.

Sucks for you, but you're in the minority I'd say.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Heh, you know, that's an interesting take. I've gotten less and less enamored with player power in both MMORPGS and ARPGS. The industry has kind of moved that way too, with so many of the games having level scaling to where progression of that nature matters less. Some of the top MMOs have never even had level increases (ESO, GW2), some of them made levels basically pointless with constant resets and "crunches" (WoW). Then D4 with it's "ARPG with MMO-lite flavorings" is all level scaled of course too. Some of them even have basically flat gear progression too (sometimes a new set comes out that is better, but usually it's a balance issue, not like "item level go up" way).

And how many games claim "fashion quest is the true endgame" these days too?

So yeah, more common in MMOs, but I feel it's slowly creeping into ARPGs too. Interesting take.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think players would rather feel strong because of their choices ("I have a very good build") rather than just because they have X+1 item. Items with unique effects that form a part of the build kind of straddle the line there I suppose.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Was trying to play this with a friend. For some reason both of us are getting fairly regular "Lost Connection" errors, at least once an hour, and then at one point when I gifted him a Unique, while he was in the middle of his 30 second transition between zones, the item disappeared from my inventory but did not appear in his, vanishing into the ether.

Multiplayer feels very underbaked here. Having to wait minimum of 30 seconds to transition between zones, despite us having 20ms ping to the server, is particularly painful.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
This thing had such a massive push for about two-four weeks, and now it feels like it has fallen off the face of the earth in terms of buzz.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

a large part of that is because when people started pointing out the cracks in the facade or purposefully avoided QoL features the developers responded "yes we made it that way on purpose and will not be changing it"

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
There should be new info coming out next week from Gamescom. The devs have been pretty silent since multiplayer release but 1.0 is supposed to be out this year.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kith posted:

a large part of that is because when people started pointing out the cracks in the facade or purposefully avoided QoL features the developers responded "yes we made it that way on purpose and will not be changing it"

Oh, can I have more info on that? I wasn't paying attention, waiting for 1.0

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

no auto-gather for crafting mats, no targeted loot generation or tuning, no grind reduction/drop rate increases for exalted items, no plans to make lower rarity gear worth using for crafting, no plans to expand or improve monolith of fate rewards, no intent to bring weaker/niche builds up to par for endgame content

half of these are things blizzard did for diablo 3's loot 2.0 in 2014

Kith fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 15, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I mean I'd be happy if we just got the remaining Subclasses

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Kith posted:

no auto-gather for crafting mats, no targeted loot generation or tuning, no grind reduction/drop rate increases for exalted items, no plans to make lower rarity gear worth using for crafting, no plans to expand or improve monolith of fate rewards, no intent to bring weaker/niche builds up to par for endgame content

half of these are things blizzard did for diablo 3's loot 2.0 in 2014

At least 3 of those are explicitly false. Item factions are specifically supposed to allow for targeted grinding, and every patch has balance changes. The only one that actually looks like something the devs have said is no auto-gather for crafting mats.

I think it’s more that the game has not really had any major interesting changes since the patch before the multiplayer release, which was a long time ago. There really isn’t anything to talk about. Supposedly the next patch will come next month, and the one after that will be 1.0, so hopefully more interesting content is coming soon.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Yeah that's very much been the main one for me, nothing new and not much info and too many other games to play so it's fallen off the radar

which is Fine

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

The only one that actually looks like something the devs have said is no auto-gather for crafting mats.

they have, and i would not have said those things if i had not witnessed those things

are not in the game yet last i checked and there are no plans to do anything outside of them, which is what i was talking about

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Kith posted:

are not in the game yet last i checked and there are no plans to do anything outside of them, which is what i was talking about

Your first post was that the devs are purposefully avoiding quality of life features and have no plans to implement them. Why does this specific thing they do plan to implement not count?

Kith posted:

they have, and i would not have said those things if i had not witnessed those things

Please provide a quote where the devs say they have no plans to buff underperforming builds.

I mean, I certainly don’t think the game is perfect. My main complaint is that progression grinds to a halt after the campaign and the monolith feels like a very slow treadmill. But I still think the game has a lot of potential if they can finally get out from under the multiplayer release.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 16, 2023

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Your first post was that the devs are purposefully avoiding quality of life features and have no plans to implement them. Why does this specific thing they do plan to implement not count?
you're ignoring a pretty important part prior to the "or"

Kith posted:

the cracks in the facade or purposefully avoided QoL features
these complaints are not just about things that would be "nice to have", they are also about how the game stops providing an incentive to continue playing unless you're really into treadmills. also it doesn't count because

A) it's not in the game yet, so therefore is not real (yet)
B) none of the systems will address the other gear/drop issues players have brought up unless the devs are keeping large amounts of details secret (which they have not done in the past and have no reason to start)

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Please provide a quote where the devs say they have no plans to buff underperforming builds.
i will not be doing that because i do not care enough to go trawling through the forums. claim victory over this point if you want, there are still a ton of dead-end builds with no endgame viability and confirmed lack of plans to empower them

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I mean, I certainly don’t think the game is perfect. My main complaint is that progression grinds to a halt after the campaign and the monolith feels like a very slow treadmill. But I still think the game has a lot of potential if they can finally get out from under the multiplayer release.
i agree that it has a ton of potential but i also agree that it suffers from those issues and am not confident that the developers will be able to navigate that given their previous statements

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Kith posted:

you're ignoring a pretty important part prior to the "or"

these complaints are not just about things that would be "nice to have", they are also about how the game stops providing an incentive to continue playing unless you're really into treadmills. also it doesn't count because

A) it's not in the game yet, so therefore is not real (yet)
B) none of the systems will address the other gear/drop issues players have brought up unless the devs are keeping large amounts of details secret (which they have not done in the past and have no reason to start)

i will not be doing that because i do not care enough to go trawling through the forums. claim victory over this point if you want, there are still a ton of dead-end builds with no endgame viability and confirmed lack of plans to empower them

i agree that it has a ton of potential but i also agree that it suffers from those issues and am not confident that the developers will be able to navigate that given their previous statements

lol

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

same

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It's best to put Kith on your ignore list :)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh...so playing online but solo works fine, but as soon as I join a party with a friend suddenly zone transitions take 30-60 seconds and there's fairly regular "lost connection" errors.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Jack Trades posted:

Oh...so playing online but solo works fine, but as soon as I join a party with a friend suddenly zone transitions take 30-60 seconds and there's fairly regular "lost connection" errors.

They're just scaling the difficulty for party play.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

i like last epoch a lot, i hate this. this is the primary reason i don't play the game.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hl5QBDJEmQ

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:argh: Release the Falconer, you cowards

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Why do they even need a trailer for some random Early Access patch?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Probably for the same reason any of the trailers were shown today; a poo poo ton of people were watching and it's good publicity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Tons of developers make trailers for content updates, regardless of whether it's EA or not.

An update is an update, why wouldn't they market it?