Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

I've played a month or two of XI in the past couple years and it's still fun. The map situation is a problem, but there's Windower plugins that help a lot. I'd play it more often if I didn't have to pay a separate sub for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Xerophyte posted:

PlayOnline is a rare thing of wonder and I can't believe it's survived this long.

11 isn't without charm, but it's very dated at this point and I'm not sure you can sustain yourself through it without some nostalgia. The trusts make it soloable, but it's still a grindy Everquest-like from 2002. There's a nice LP currently ongoing if you just want to see the story bits without needing to personally murder quite so many crabs.

Oh, hey, thanks for this! I'll check it out.

Is PlayOnline the same branding that a IX strategy guide interacted with back in the day? I dimly remember some kind of "put in this keyword into a janky website to get some sub-GameFAQs tips".

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh yeah I wouldn't be surprised if they have the rough strokes for the next four expansions already so they have something to show to management. I also believe Yoship is working on a ten year plan to go along with those expansion ideas.

It wouldn't surprise me if we get 15 more years of content if subscriptions stay stable.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Kitfox88 posted:

Berserker melee DPS based entirely around autoattacks :pseudo:

As long as we get a yeti species to go with it, and playable moogles.

Honestly Umaro turning up would be great, even if he was just a snow-white Hrothgar that people kept mistaking for a yeti through snowdrifts or something.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 8, 2023

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Be the RP account of your dreams.

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time

lines posted:

I'd love to experience XI in some way though every explanation of how to get a sub and install it I've ever seen looks approximately like instructions for launching a moon rocket, let alone actually playing it. I assume it is not beyond my wit if I actually bothered to figure it out, though.

I think the graphical update is the biggest concrete proof that Yoshida means it and that they are investing in XIV for the long-haul, certainly. Why do it otherwise?

I checked out 11 a few months ago and setting it up was a lot easier than I expected. After buying the game from steam and registering it with my mogstation account I was assigned a playonline account and password. Just had to save this info to a local account made with the launcher and then I was logging in with the same account I use for 14

The launcher is a little funny looking but you don't actually have to touch it much to get through it

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I wouldn't worry about FF14 winding down until Yoshida leaves. Dude has two successful mainline FF games under his belt, that has to give him a tremendous amount of clout at SE. As long as 14 is his baby, it's going to get the money and manpower it needs to keep going.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I have absolutely zero reason to think the next expac will suck or anything but I can take solace knowing that even if it somehow does and the game turns to poo poo, Endwalker was the perfect finale anyways.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I have absolutely zero reason to think the next expac will suck or anything but I can take solace knowing that even if it somehow does and the game turns to poo poo, Endwalker was the perfect finale anyways.

Even when I find the story execrable, the dungeons and raids have pretty much always slapped, with the odd exception here or there.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

1stGear posted:

I wouldn't worry about FF14 winding down until Yoshida leaves. Dude has two successful mainline FF games under his belt, that has to give him a tremendous amount of clout at SE. As long as 14 is his baby, it's going to get the money and manpower it needs to keep going.

He's on the Square board of directors too, as much as he says he'd rather not be

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

lines posted:

Oh, hey, thanks for this! I'll check it out.

Is PlayOnline the same branding that a IX strategy guide interacted with back in the day? I dimly remember some kind of "put in this keyword into a janky website to get some sub-GameFAQs tips".

Yep. PlayOnline was Square's attempt at a late 90s/early 00s internet portal. The intent was to have a single service for forums, messaging, chatrooms, shopping, manga, etc as well as cross-platform online gaming on PS2, PC and whatever platforms would come along later. It'd all work the same everywhere, no reliance on flash or web stuff. Apparently they ran quite a few games on it in Japan, including Everquest 2, but far as I am aware the only ones that you could play in the English-language clients were FF11 and Tetra Master. It also cost $1/month. Now it's just a clunky and overly elaborate launcher for FF11.

The idea of a walled garden service like that was less odd in the time of AOL but I'd say that by 2000 it was pretty obvious that the web was going to win, especially against a subscription service. Quite possibly the perspective was different in Japan: web design went in a different direction there and super-apps like WeChat and Line have become the norm in much of Asia.

Anyhow, the FF9 guide thing was in fact just a website on the US version of playonline.com and was never a part of the PlayOnline service. It's no longer available since it used flash for menus, but someone actually grabbed the data and made a modern recreation complete with the Brady guide keyword search. Some parts like the Bestiary are honestly not bad, in a very table-full, pop-up-loving late 90s website sort of way.

KoB
May 1, 2009
as long as the money graph shows theyd make enough money per dev-time they will make new stuff.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah eventually they may start “winding down” the game but first it has to stop making all the money. We’re still talking one of the most successful things SE has going. (If not the most successful, I don’t know the exact figures.)

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a decently cheap and quick way to get crafter/gatherer gear at later levels? Pushing in to 60 and gear is prohibitively expensive on the mb and class quests wind up needing a ton of materials that are hard to craft and gather with my gear

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

all i want for 7.0 is for the bonanza to show up. friend just got to it and it reminds me that it was very rude to give us an airship in 5.4 only for that airship to go pretty much entirely unused. give us a little instanced airship base (i don't mean customizable i just mean instanced like an inn room or a raid story zone is)

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Robo Reagan posted:

Is there a decently cheap and quick way to get crafter/gatherer gear at later levels? Pushing in to 60 and gear is prohibitively expensive on the mb and class quests wind up needing a ton of materials that are hard to craft and gather with my gear

I think you can start getting white scrip gear around that level.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Robo Reagan posted:

There's scrip gear sets at 60, 70, 80 and 90 which are good enough to get you through to the next x0. 50 does not have that and the 50-60 stretch is notoriously nasty. Heavensward crafting had, uh, issues.

You might want to take it slow and use Grand Company turn-ins to get to 60. A single HQ turn-in is ~1 level, so it should only take a week or so. Custom Deliveries will get you a lot of scrip once you're actually at 60.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Okay cool, I'll check in to scrip stuff. I never got my DoH/DoL past the 60s so I didn't know about all the new turn in stuff

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
ishgard leves are obscene, you can level all your crafters to over 60 for like, 100k gil and 100 allowances

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
General recommendation for leveling crafters is 1-21 just craft stuff for XP and 21-80 is all ishgard restoration crafts with it being like 21-50, 50-63 and one or two more ranges for turn ins? I’m pretty sure Teamcraft had a basic guide.

The guide does list gear recommendations, but I think for 70 and 80 it is just buy scrip stuff so do custom deliveries or collectibles.

If you want to minimize your gil cost in making stuff you really should try and learn to use teamcraft, because it can help you locate all the materials, and even give you server prices (based upon user data from people running certain third party tools).

You can even do craft simulations with your stats and see if you could actually squeeze out an HQ without having to actually go through the entire process in game.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Yeah I leveled up my doh/dol to 80 prior to Ishgard restoration being available, and found the weekly things like grand company turn ins and custom deliveries to be very very good xp. Doing custom deliveries will get you plenty of scrip for gear as well.

Custom deliveries are also just super great because the characters are very endearing.

One thing to keep in mind is that GC turn ins do not require you to have crafted/caught the item (so useful for fish), and custom deliveries can be done on one job and turned in on another, so they're both especially good for leveling up lower level jobs.

50 to 60 does suck but Ishgard has those super leves that give really good xp, although those might be antiquated by the restoration stuff now.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah eventually they may start “winding down” the game but first it has to stop making all the money. We’re still talking one of the most successful things SE has going. (If not the most successful, I don’t know the exact figures.)

14 overtook 11 as SE’s most profitable game ever shortly before endwalker’s release https://twinfinite.net/ps4/final-fa...over-the-years/

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Robo Reagan posted:

They're actually hiding the LV50 stuff (IL70 Artisan/Forager gear, although for some reason gatherers just get tools and a hat?) at your Grand Company, locked behind 2nd Lieutenant. You can also do esoteric Master Recipes 1/2 stuff with Talan at Mor Dhona to trade for them, if you feel like it. Honestly just get the LV51+ Archaeoskin/Mythrite guff to get you started; Heavensward crafting/gathering is so punishing I'd even go so far as to just buy the crappy vendor-grade gear if the MB is too prohibitive just because the item level scaling goes berserk right off the bat. I can also just come over to your server or vice-versa and help you out personally if you're interested :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

bobtheconqueror posted:

Yeah I leveled up my doh/dol to 80 prior to Ishgard restoration being available, and found the weekly things like grand company turn ins and custom deliveries to be very very good xp. Doing custom deliveries will get you plenty of scrip for gear as well.

Custom deliveries are also just super great because the characters are very endearing.

One thing to keep in mind is that GC turn ins do not require you to have crafted/caught the item (so useful for fish), and custom deliveries can be done on one job and turned in on another, so they're both especially good for leveling up lower level jobs.

50 to 60 does suck but Ishgard has those super leves that give really good xp, although those might be antiquated by the restoration stuff now.
:hmmyes: There's lots of ways to level your gatherers that're just daily or weekly capped, so for those it's just a matter of patience. Once you cap out on those, Grade 4 Ishgard Restoration materials still sell pretty decently on the MB, if you don't care about the Skysteel Scrip cosmetics yourself.

But yeah, as for gear to meet those levels you've rocketed up into, the short answer is 'scrip gear', and the long answer is 'white scrip gear from any scrip supplier, then eventually purple scrip gear from Radz-at-Han when you reach the level cap'. NQ poo poo from a vendor is noticeably worse than its ilvl suggests it should be, but if you're up poo poo creek, it's a decent way to get your stats up enough that you can at least hit the previous expansion's collectables reliably.

lines posted:

I really really think it's going to be Merycydia. "Outer Continent" is a classic Final Fantasy trope! You could stick in all kinds of odd stuff. (Qu Tribe from IX, for instance.) And it just feels like a way to pivot the story in an interesting direction, where we're not just exploring over well-trodden ground.
Shot in the dark:

Two of the new zones will be (6.4 spoiler maybe?) on the Thirteenth. Two will be in the New World. And two will be in Meracydia. The new main villain faction will be Definitely-Not-Shinra, a faceless, soulless megacorporation who're drilling for oil aether from the center of the planet, even though it's a finite resource and they're slowly killing the star you worked so hard to save. Why should they care what happens in fifty years when they can make profit now?

:airquote: Subtle :airquote: environmental messages are also a classic Final Fantasy trope, and making the rank-and-file a bunch of elite private military contractors provides a nice, simple justification both for why it's okay to kill these people by the dozens, and why they're actually kind of a threat to you.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 9, 2023

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Quote is not edit.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

honestly I'd rather have an expansion where we focus on one region again rather than endwalker's approach of going everywhere on the planet that's been teased over the past ten years and then some

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Vitamean posted:

honestly I'd rather have an expansion where we focus on one region again rather than endwalker's approach of going everywhere on the planet that's been teased over the past ten years and then some
If they make a whole expansion out of The Thirteenth, I hope they take it as an excuse to expand more on the lore of what's going on in the shard. Maybe there's some pockets of civilization that actually survived the Flood of Darkness? Maybe the vast majority of voidsent are perfectly reasonable and we've just been exposed only to the extremists who don't have a problem with trying to eat strangers. Hell, maybe we actually restore the Thirteenth a zone at a time like they teased at the end of the quest with the Cyana and Unuwhatshisface.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

fwiw I'm running on the assumption that we're done with the 13th after 6.55

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vitamean posted:

fwiw I'm running on the assumption that we're done with the 13th after 6.55

it's a pretty good assumption to be making

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm assuming that 6.5 is going to end with the 13th beginning the process of re-balancing its aether. We'll go back in like 7.3 or 8.0 or maybe never, there's still two and a half whole drat continents we haven't seen on the Source.

And also Y'shtola going to the First to spend a couple of [UNDEFINED TIME PERIOD]s getting her back walls blown out by Runar

1stGear fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 9, 2023

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

1stGear posted:

I'm assuming that 6.5 is going to end with the 13th beginning the process of re-balancing its aether. We'll go back in like 7.3 or 8.0 or maybe never, there's still two and a half whole drat continents we haven't seen on the Source.

And also Y'shtola going to the First to spend a couple of [UNDEFINED TIME PERIOD]s getting her back walls blown out by Runar

She'll still be 28 when she gets back

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Like the problem with doing an expansion there is it's literally just a blank void with floating wasteland islands. We have seen the entire breadth of what there is to see in the Thirteenth. Not only that, we're also dealing with the strongest beings there so there's nowhere to even go from that.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Thirteenth Restoration as Firmament 2, c'moooooon. Talk about an environment that can use as many building materials and pots of stew as we can make

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hear me out:

Gold Saucer branch theme park.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I think there should be side content in the 7.x series that requires completing the ShB role quests to start 😈

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Vitamean posted:

I think there should be side content in the 7.x series that requires completing the ShB role quests to start 😈

Awful idea. Should be the EW role quests.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

ImpAtom posted:

Hear me out:

Gold Saucer branch theme park.

I mean, we did just get a bunch of exposition about the Saucer existing to create joy in the grim post-Calamity climate, and y'know who could really use some cheering up right now?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
So, Pint made a nearly 30 minute video about his multi-month journey in setting the world record for climbing Kugane Tower and released it yesterday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fteq8Fbt-5w

And then lost it just a few hours ago. (You should watch Pint's video before watching this one, or at least looking at who did it.)

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Can either of them log onto my account and do it? Goddamn I’m bad at jumping puzzles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Antivehicular posted:

Thirteenth Restoration as Firmament 2, c'moooooon. Talk about an environment that can use as many building materials and pots of stew as we can make

Zero's Domain Tribal Quests